User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I want to see what John Thomas (Retro Arms Works for the non Retro crowd) can do with one of these
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I want to see what John Thomas (Retro Arms Works for the non Retro crowd) can do with one of these

I emailed him pointing him to this thread when I started it, but never heard back from him. If there's anyone here who is actually on chatting terms with him, maybe give him another ping to see if he would enjoy dropping into this thread?

Quoted:
Quoted:
You know - I kinda like it!

I dunno, Morg. Its kinda neat. But the triangular handguards without the triangular front sight base just lacks your feng shui there.

I do want to see Mr Thomas' interpretation.

You saw the pic a page back or so with Ares' triangular front sight? It's not as high as a M16 FSB is due to the different stock angle, but it's largely the same idea.

So far as wooden forends, I'm not so excited by the triangular ones, and they look like they have some little breakable bits around the top-holes I'd be wary of. And I really don't care for the Boyd's laminate forends, they don't look at all classic, too modern but with a weird wood look.

There were a few past makers that don't appear to be active now that had stocks that were less M16-like with some good classic lines:

I'm still thinking that just having the standard short synthetic stock covered in wood-pattern or bakelite-pattern hydrodip is what I have my eye on. And the fore-end either matching (for a more pre-Cold War rifle-ish look) or left metal (for a post-WWII rifle look, or 2nd gen subgun look).

EDIT: apparently some of the Sendra AR-10s for the Portuguese and Sudanese militaries ended up with wooden stocks in some cases. Some maybe done by a later importer/reseller, but some maybe done by the Portuguese Army after the early plastic ones proved to fragile in the Portuguese African Colonial Wars?

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the wood stocks you see on early AR10s were actually aftermarket, made by a guy in Canada - I forget his name at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for this thread MatthewVanitas and the heads up on the Scorpion Evo sights.

Even though they are the older vaviety, I can already tell they are going to be vastly superior to the AR-15 hight sights.

Perfect cheek weld and quick aquistion. You SCR guys will like these I think.

Now back to your regularly scheduled conversation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for this thread MatthewVanitas and the heads up on the Scorpion Evo sights.

Even though they are the older vaviety, I can already tell they are going to be vastly superior to the AR-15 hight sights.

View Quote

Amazing that there are so few Picatinny sight options that sit just right above the rails; but I'm glad you've found ones that work for both your AR-18 and the SCR.

Does yours have the Armalite AR-180B polymer lower, or have you swapped in the metal replacement from Nodak Spud? I hotly debated getting the 180B before they dropped the product, but the polymer lower was offputting, but now that there's a replacement I wish I'd bought one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A lot of the wood stocks you see on early AR10s were actually aftermarket, made by a guy in Canada - I forget his name at the moment.
View Quote

When I had my Porto AR10. I bought some wood furniture from a guy up in Canada named Wilke, at Kanagame Lake ( I know I misspelled that one),

I wish that I never let that Rifle go.  It was a sweet shooting rifle, very accurate and with mild recoil.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Amazing that there are so few Picatinny sight options that sit just right above the rails; but I'm glad you've found ones that work for both your AR-18 and the SCR.

Does yours have the Armalite AR-180B polymer lower, or have you swapped in the metal replacement from Nodak Spud? I hotly debated getting the 180B before they dropped the product, but the polymer lower was offputting, but now that there's a replacement I wish I'd bought one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AR-180B upper was shortened and installed on a NoDak lower.

This is a Vulcan V-18 carbine upper on the AR-180B polymer lower.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Neat piece of gear, glad to see that an SCR solution also helps out another retro rifle.

Armeson still makes an OEG, that's retro tactical!

While OEGs are cool (used to have one on the carry-handle on my M16-build), this comes right back to the height issue, since the Picatinny mount for the OEG cranks it high up, not right down on the rail where it'd be useful for the SCR.

One thing that'd be kinda neat on an SCR, and capture some of the retro carry-handle look otherwise missing, would be something like the G36 carry handle, where the sights or optic looks through a split carry handle, allowing it to sit relatively low. Though afaik the G36 handle mounts specifically on the G36 body, not on a rail.

@ARES: I saw on FaceBook you invited folks to post retro SCR builds, but not much luck so far? If you're mucking around with pics for your FB later, if you happen to toss the parts together it'd be interesting to see your triangle-handguard shot above, but with the Ares iron sights on it, and maybe a wooden stock. Alternately, would be cool to see an old A2-style M4gery upper on the SCR, but with the new iron sights to keep that triangle front sight dynamic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]
That G36 sight looks like it would mount on a standard rail. One cheap and easy way to find out is buy an air soft one and see.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That G36 sight looks like it would mount on a standard rail. One cheap and easy way to find out is buy an air soft one and see.
View Quote

The thought occurred to me, AS ones are like $30. However the more I look at photos of it, the more it seems it has proprietary attaching points, unless there's like a more modern picatinny-based version. Not the rail bit on top, but rather the way it mounts on to the rifle.

I've been thinking more about the Lanchester look, since it'd keep the whole package pretty compact, and I think this frame could pull off that look pretty closely. Again, it'd be with either a wooden buttstock, or hydrodipping the plastic one to look like wood or bakelite, and then a metal waffled foreend.

Two questions:

- On an AR, is there any reason you have to have the muzzle protruding beyond the handguards? It just seems in almost all builds I've seen, the muzzle sticks out at least a bit beyond free-floating handguards. Is that because of the gunk spewed out by the muzzle device? If so, would it matter less if the muzzle had no device, or a device that purely pushes gases forward like a linear comp? Just wondering if I can keep the barrel fully back under the handguard, partially just for the cool look.

- If it is okay to have the barrel no longer than the handguard, is it hard to find handguards that will cover up a 16" barrel? The free-floats for rifle-length look like they tend to be 15", and I'd need something that would cover up a 14.5+1.5" barrel.

Just kicking around my concept.

@Ares, any word on getting the SCR lower up onto the AR Builder app so we can dream these things up more effectively?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The thought occurred to me, AS ones are like $30. However the more I look at photos of it, the more it seems it has proprietary attaching points, unless there's like a more modern picatinny-based version. Not the rail bit on top, but rather the way it mounts on to the rifle.

I've been thinking more about the Lanchester look, since it'd keep the whole package pretty compact, and I think this frame could pull off that look pretty closely. Again, it'd be with either a wooden buttstock, or hydrodipping the plastic one to look like wood or bakelite, and then a metal waffled foreend.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2exy4ns.jpg

Two questions:

- On an AR, is there any reason you have to have the muzzle protruding beyond the handguards? It just seems in almost all builds I've seen, the muzzle sticks out at least a bit beyond free-floating handguards. Is that because of the gunk spewed out by the muzzle device? If so, would it matter less if the muzzle had no device, or a device that purely pushes gases forward like a linear comp? Just wondering if I can keep the barrel fully back under the handguard, partially just for the cool look.

- If it is okay to have the barrel no longer than the handguard, is it hard to find handguards that will cover up a 16" barrel? The free-floats for rifle-length look like they tend to be 15", and I'd need something that would cover up a 14.5+1.5" barrel.

@Ares, any word on getting the SCR lower up onto the AR Builder app so we can dream these things up more effectively?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two questions:

You could run a barrel right out to the end of the tube, but you'd lose the benefits of a muzzle device, and you might find it a bit dirty around the end of the tube.

If you can find or modify the right FF tube, you might consider the Ferfrans Concussion Reduction Device.  It's a 2-piece muzzle brake and the outer component is almost as wide as some tubes.
I've heard they work well enough, but really I just think they look interesting:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should use one of these uppers:

(Though, you'd have to custom modify the SCR carrier.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if they will make a 7.62 version
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh great, then that'd give me a whole separate project where I'd have to make the SCR look as much like a weird M14-hybrid as possible...

You can try asking in the main SCR thread; the company has a rep that's dropped in there quite frequently to answer questions: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/672281_ARES_SCR_Pics.html&page=15
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh great, then that'd give me a whole separate project where I'd have to make the SCR look as much like a weird M14-hybrid as possible...

You can try asking in the main SCR thread; the company has a rep that's dropped in there quite frequently to answer questions: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/672281_ARES_SCR_Pics.html&page=15
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did a quick google last night after I posted that and found that it looks like they do make one but not the 7.62 I was thinking about

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
From Stoner's original patent on a gas operated bolt and carrier system, take a look at the front sight

https://www.google.com/patents/US2951424

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US2951424-0.png
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just put an AR wood handguard and some M1 carbine type sights on it.

Our NDS-44 front sight will go on a .610"-.611" barrel diameter. Find a rear that will match up with the height.
View Quote

I like that idea...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top