Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2015 4:51:50 PM EDT
I'm in the early stages of sniffing out parts for my intended retro USAF 604 build, and I'm looking at this BCG. Would it be correct for an early 70's AF 604? Any general comments on this one? Would there be another source I might check out?

Sorry about all the noob questions, but I want this build to be as period-correct as I can get it.

Thanks!

http://www.fulton-armory.com/bolt-carrier-chrome-m16-no-forward-assist-notches-1-1-1.aspx
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
After 1967 all Model 604's had the same bolt carriers that M16A1's did: parkerized with the forward assist notches, this was changed to avoid slickside carriers turning up in rifles with the forward assist feature.

You'll want a M16 carrier with the "C" stamped on the left side, and an MPC bolt. Depending on how anal retentive you want to be, you could use any AR15 bolt/carrier and never notice the difference unless you're really trying to use 100% correct parts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be a good BCG for a 602 build, or maybe an early 604.  Most of the real USAF 604s I saw had parked, M16A1 carriers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I connected up with a guy who has some original slick side 604 bolts and thought about getting one of those. Maybe I need to get back with him on this - if a parked bolt with notches would be correct for an early 70's AF 604, I'll wait and get one of those.

Another question - are the full auto BCG's interchangeable with SA ones? Reason I ask is that PSA has a FA BCG w/charging handle for $100 (I am on a budget!).

Thanks for the help and info!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget the two transitional versions of the 604 BCG.... The earlier being the slick side parked carrier with chrome gas key and chrome bolt and the All parked slick side BCG. 1965-1967
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I connected up with a guy who has some original slick side 604 bolts and thought about getting one of those. Maybe I need to get back with him on this - if a parked bolt with notches would be correct for an early 70's AF 604, I'll wait and get one of those.

Another question - are the full auto BCG's interchangeable with SA ones? Reason I ask is that PSA has a FA BCG w/charging handle for $100 (I am on a budget!).

Thanks for the help and info!
View Quote

Yes, the M16 carrier is what they are meant to use, the semi carriers are underweight and while they do function, they aren't optimal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. I'll probably go with one of the PSA FA M16 BC's for $99.00. Then I'll do as has been suggested to me, and look for a bolt head that will fall between a "go" and "no-go" 5.56 gauge.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top