Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 11:13:52 AM EDT
OK, I started with a retro carbine a couple months ago.  I sold off the retro Colt parts, and picked up a $225 PSA M4 upper as well as raising $700 to defray unemployment.  

Of course the M4 upper looked dorky on the 601 lower, so I decided to go retro again, but this time a rifle build.  So I sold/traded/ bartered ammo, magazines, holsters, and parts and accumulated stuff for a retro build/603 upper on a 601 lower, with a type E stock.  Hmmm... RBRD was still killing me.  It still didn't seem right.  So I traded the 603 upper for a slick side 604 upper, and found a $15 fixer-upper Type D stock.

HERE'S THE STOCK:

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Look like a good start!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The mind knows what the heart wants. You will get there. Good luck on the job search.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrel group: "CMP CHROME BORE"

NDS 601 lower with Colt tube, spring, and red wine buffer:

604 upper coming from 44ECHO10

I will need to eventually replace the birdcage with a three prong.  I only have the one BCG between the two builds.  Eventually, I will get a second BCG when funds permit, maybe chrome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, just ordered a three prong from Midway USA.  It is the DPMS made one.  They are a nice grey parkerized finish.  I had one before, and you could not tell it from a real one.  Best part is, they are only $7!

The only thing left is a BCG.  If I can get the Colt semi-auto fire control group I have listed in EE sold, that will almost cover it.  The object is to cover the cost of the whole 602 by selling and trading stuff I have, so there is no out of pocket!  So far, it has worked.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one of those DPMS three prong suppressors a few years back. I still have it in wrap and unused. Gorgeous little thing, it is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The only difference I have found between the DPMS one and an original, the edge of the last band around it before the three prongs has a slightly rounded corner on the side towards the three prongs.  The DPMS one is slightly sharper corner.  At $7, I added some small springs and detents to have a few extras, as long as I was paying the $5 shipping.  With shipping, it was still was cheaper than Fulton, Innovative,  or Rousch's three prongs without shipping.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
RangeMaster, Let me go back and read this again.

Ok, so in this one post about building a 602, you don't have any 602 parts! What gives? Guessing you are being ironic
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, so in this one post about building a 602, you don't have any 602 parts! What gives? Guessing you are being ironic
View Quote

I agree, why not just build it into what it is? An Air force mixmaster 604 that is very nice..... All your parts scream late 604 except the lower, toss a C marked BCG in it and use the three prong and be happy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hip, you're right. It will basically be a 601/604.  The cleaned up mottled D stock and pistol grip will go well with the 601 lower.  I may go with a chrome look carrier, just because I like the look.  If I got a good buy on a Colt M16 BCG, I would go that way, since everything (including the lower parts kit and FCG) is Colt except the stripped 601 NDS lower and now the three prong.  I didn't feel like paying $40 for an original, at this point.  Besides, it is almost impossible to find an original 3 prong!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why I said "FAUX-602"!  I am going for the look, not one with all original parts.  A correct barrel and upper alone would be two or three times what I have into the whole build.  It will be a shooter, with the 602 look.  I have been building ARs since the 1980s, back when retro was all there was, and Edgewater's had to be snuck into builds to get rid of them.  I did one with an original 1/14 601 barrel, upper, and all green/brown furniture back then, with an original duckbill....  I used a SP1 lower.  Anyway, I ramble.  I'm 63 years young, and am more concerned with a shooter that looks "602ish" than spending a fortune I don't have on fixed income to do a REAL 602 on a NDS lower. My recent unemployment cut my retirement income by 1/3.  I am just damn happy to put together a retro rifle, at this point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotcha, 601/604 averages out to around 602+

I like the parts. Want to see how that furniture cleans up, may be some mottling hiding in that buttstock and pg.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like the parts. Want to see how that furniture cleans up, may be some mottling hiding in that buttstock and pg.
View Quote

It's a 602.5!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

HAHAHA !  I like that: 602+ or 602.5!  I think there will be some mottling on the stock.. I want to clean the dried tape and gunk off, but leave the rack number.  Maybe denatured alcohol, or Ballistol might even work.  I have another sling swivel base that is in good condition, and even have an original 601/602 swivel (non-coated) with about half of the parkerized finish on it.

The hardest thing for me is: WAITING!  ARGH, I have an A2 lower in jail until next Friday to finish the M4gery, a stock, three prong, and upper receiver coming sometime next week.  What do I do until the.... WAIT!  I can live with two ARs sharing a BCG for now, but I want to finish something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, two more pieces.  Got the DPMS three prong from Midway USA, and the Type D stock.  Trying different solvents to clean off the dead tape and not harm the rack numbers, which are pretty cool.  I has a nice rear sling and swivel base to replace the rusted one on it.

I also ordered a NiB (Nickel Boron) M16A1 bolt carrier group from AIM for $99 including shipping.  The bolt is 9310 (which the vast majority are now, since it is 8% stronger than the original Carpenter 158) and the gas key is machined from the same 4140 tool steel bar stock as the extractor.  That is better than the investment cast keys many have.  It is a bright, rather than satin, finish.  It will look better than phosphate.  

AIM NiB BCG $99

Only waiting for the 604 upper from 44ECHO10.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Bernie, use a transitional 604 BCG with the parked carrier, chrome gas key, and chrome mp bolt. it will be the best option for a 602.58675309 build. I have a line on a couple to boot...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, two more pieces.  Got the DPMS three prong from Midway USA, and the Type D stock.  Trying different solvents to clean off the dead tape and not harm the rack numbers, which are pretty cool.  I has a nice rear sling and swivel base to replace the rusted one on it.

I also ordered a NiB (Nickel Boron) M16A1 bolt carrier group from AIM for $99 including shipping.  The bolt is 9310 (which the vast majority are now, since it is 8% stronger than the original Carpenter 158) and the gas key is machined from the same 4140 tool steel bar stock as the extractor.  That is better than the investment cast keys many have.  It is a bright, rather than satin, finish.  It will look better than phosphate.  

AIM NiB BCG $99

Only waiting for the 604 upper from 44ECHO10.
View Quote

Parcel is posted. Congrats on the job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bernie, use a transitional 604 BCG with the parked carrier, chrome gas key, and chrome mp bolt. it will be the best option for a 602.58675309 build. I have a line on a couple to boot...
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I cleaned up the beater looking type D stock I got reasonably priced  from Boywonder777.  I replaced the rusted swivel base and swivel with a better base and new swivel.  Looks great.  the dead masking tape was terrible to get off, though.  It was impervious to alcohol, mineral spirits, paint thinner, and Ballistol.  Acetone cleaned it with a lot of elbow grease, but unfortunately, what ever the rack numbers were painted on with just melted off.  Oh well, it cleaned up awesome! Thanks to BW777 for a great deal on the stock.

I installed the three prong on the CMP CHROME BORE barrel, and traded some 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo for 550 rounds of Federal/Lake City M193 ball.  All I had for factory ammo was about 600 rounds of MK262 Mod1 77 grain and M855 62 grain that I shoot in my M4gery.  I have about 500-600 rounds of 55 grain reloads, but wanted some factory to go with it for the retro.

I will post pics after I get the BCG and upper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like its going to be a sweet build RM! Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Cleaned up stock.. Poor cell phone pics, but shows how clean.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
The stock is looking good. That masking tape residue is a pain. I left some tape around a window for a while before getting around to removing it. Live and learn.

ETA: Check IM for tracking number.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#22]
That whole lower with the furniture looks great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
wow that stock looks like a completely different stock.  congrats on cleaning it up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
wow that stock looks like a completely different stock.  congrats on cleaning it up.
View Quote

Thanks!  I put on a little used swivel base and new swivel I had, and that made a big difference. The old base and roll pins were really rusted in place.  I had to soak them to be able to get them out.  The rust on the base had slightly swollen the base in the stock, and it was a bear to get out, before I soaked it to break down the rust. The new base rotated freely in the stock.

While I tried the other things to clean it, the acetone worked great.  The acetone really sunk in and lifted the grit and oil from the surface and imperfections. I used it with a light pressure from some steel wool, and it did wonders.  Finally, I wiped it down Ballistol for a final cleaning.  Good stuff.

I have used acetone for years to clean the metal of mil-surp weapons.  It soaks out the old oil and grease from the pores of the metal and really freshens it up.  I have used it on hardcoat anodized uppers on ARs.  Back in the 80s and 90s when all we had was surplus retro (before it was retro), I used it on the surplus M16 barrels and uppers we got before i made them into builds.  Worked pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]
wonder if soaking that old swivel base in naval jelly will clean it up as well.  it didn't look too pitted or anything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
It probably will be alright, as it was just surface rust.   I see if I can clean it up and put it on PIF with the birdcage FH.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
wonder if soaking that old swivel base in naval jelly will clean it up as well.  it didn't look too pitted or anything.
View Quote

Whink! Clicky Clicky!

If you haven't tried it you are missing out!

This is available in most grocery stores in the bathroom cleaning supplies and it is CHEAP!

This stuff eats the rust and leaves the surface a nice light gray color. Almost like gray parkerizing.

Seriously! Get some and try it on a rusty swivel or other rusty piece.

I haven't used any in a long time but I THINK the last REALLY rusty swivel I did took like an hour or so in the stuff.

Chemical reactions produce gas so use outside.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#28]
TODAY!  I already got the 604 upper, and sent the 603 to its new home. Now I see today that my faux-chrome (NiB Nickel Boron) BCG is out for delivery today.  I love it when I arrive at the end of a buy, sell, trade, quest and finish a project.  Picked up the Anderson A2 lower I traded ammo for, and finished the "Kalifornication Featureless, Legal with pre-2000 high capacity magazine feeding devices" PSA M4gery build with a 1/7 chrome lined barrel.  It looks like maybe Sunday morning I can shoot a few rounds from both.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Well here it is.  Pardon the cell phone pics, but "She who must be obeyed" has the Nikon with her out of town....  The AIM  Nickel Boron BCG actually looks pretty good for $99 shipped!

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well here it is.  Pardon the cell phone pics, but "She who must be obeyed" has the Nikon with her out of town....  The AIM  Nickel Boron BCG actually looks pretty good for $99 shipped!

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/new602_zps66jkm8gp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/new602_zps66jkm8gp.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/new602-2_zpstpdsbso6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/new602-2_zpstpdsbso6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/imarangemaster/media/New602-1_zpsfnj8gp9a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/New602-1_zpsfnj8gp9a.jpg</a>
View Quote

That looks sweet.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice Air force mixmaster 604, it looks sweet!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice Air force mixmaster 604, it looks sweet!
View Quote

Not following the logic.

That's like saying a 1971 Chevelle with a 1972 front clip is no longer a 1971 because the grille is different. A rebuilt USAF 02 would still be marked as such on the lower...at least until it got A2 upgrades and electropenciled.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks good, Bernie.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, it could be also an SP1 clone, but I think a 602.5 could be used also (it sounds sexier, too).  In 1979, my USAF SP Issue GAU-5/P had a 601 or 602 lower (can't remember which) that still had the 601 pivot pin.  It still had the original markings.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife came home with the Nikon D-90:

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd hit that stock stud with Perma Blue or something to prevent it from rusting out. You did all that great work restoring it, all it takes is a few weeks of not playng around with your rifle or shooting, etc and rust will start to creep in, first in the corners, then slight surface spots, then covering the surface, before you know it, you have a full blown epidemic on your hands.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks wonderful! It also brought back a flood of emotion that's making me miss my light grey XM16E1 horribly.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top