Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 8:44:55 PM EDT
Since I decided to do a faux-602 on my 601 lower (now that I am swapping the 603 for a 604 upper), I have abandoned hope of keeping it all Colt, except the NDS lower.  I could use a Colt M16 BCG when I get some more money, as they are readily available for the $135 to $150 range.  A phosphate BCG in a 602 would just be lame (besides, if i wanted a phosphate carrier, I could get an AIM one for $90 delivered!)

I found Nickel Boron BCGs for around $100.  While it would have FA serrations, it would still look better than a phosphate one.  Anyone use one in their "shooter" AR or retro build?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton armory carries slick side chrome carriers and complere bcg's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fulton armory carries slick side chrome carriers and complere bcg's.
View Quote

Thanks, Not too bad of a price, $149 Plus about $10 shipping.  Considering it will be a faux-602, I may go save $70 and go cheap with a $80  BCG for now.I'll just  keep the dust cover closed!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I attended a local gun show this past weekend and at a table I picked up what I thought was a chrome carrier. When I asked about what it actually was, I was informed it was a Nickel Boron that has been high speed polished on a polishing wheel. I actually could not tell the difference from a true chrome carrier. I may just try to polish one myself and keep my old Colt chrome carriers put up safe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Granted I could spend a lot more time as I'm very handy on a polishing wheel but I actually spent more time up loading the picture than I did polishing the carrier. It was a caulking frosted silver when I started........

" />
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using a Kies nickel boron coated carrier in my retro beater rifle. It's smooth as glass and cleans up easy. It came out of the box looking like the one in getchasum's picture. They have a nice finish on them. Their name is on the left side of the carrier so you didn't see any manufactures logos through the ejection port.

I really wish I had purchased a few more of their carriers because unfortunately it seems that Kies went under. .

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Bernie,

Haven't used the AIM $80 shipped BCG's in retro builds but have installed a few in lower tier within budget builds for a couple local Vets.  Staking wasn't the greatest and bolts were rather tight initially but a bolt torque check / re-stake and a drop or two of Mobil 1 in the carrier quickly got them in my comfort zone.  They all run fine with no problems to date.  Kiinda what one gets when they only have $4-500 to spend on a complete with mostly new parts build and need everything including sights. (DSA barrel,  flat top, DPMS LPK,  Anderson lower,  Matech BUIS with used furniture).  

Wouldn't compare them to a Colt but all have well over 1K rds on them with no problems.  Wouldn't let the low price turn me off just expect to use a little finesse unless they have changed from my last purchase.  Haven't tried the nickel boron but would if right circumstance came up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used a couple of the AIM BCGs in builds.  The one my buddy gave me is an AIM.  This one had perfect staking.  They have NiB BCGs for about $95 shipped.  I wish they were Carpenter 158 bolts (original mil-spec) instead of 9310, but Carpenter Steel Co.also makes the 9310. 9310 is supposed to be 8% stronger than Carpenter 158, but is more "heat treat correctly" dependent.  I can get a phosphate BCG with a carpenter 158 bolt for about $90.  

It will be a month or so until I get the $$$.  Unemployment finally denied my claim, because my ex-employer lied to them (what a surprise -bastards!).  Now I have to appeal and go before an administrative law judge with an attorney.  That takes a couple months.  At least it will be retroactive!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Check SGN for advertiser reapercamo or such for bargain basement $59 BCG if really tightening the belt,  they are Carpenter 158.  Haven't tried them but price is right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Out of stock, but thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm using a Kies nickel boron coated carrier in my retro beater rifle. It's smooth as glass and cleans up easy. It came out of the box looking like the one in getchasum's picture. They have a nice finish on them. Their name is on the left side of the carrier so you didn't see any manufactures logos through the ejection port.

I really wish I had purchased a few more of their carriers because unfortunately it seems that Kies went under. .

View Quote

You can still get the carriers at JoeBob's....where I got mine.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kies_Nickel_Boron_Carrier_NO_BOLT_p/kies-kcn.htm
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill bet its the same exact Nickel Boron BCG same mfgr for $105 free shipping on FleaBay.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top