BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Ouch, that USED to be a very nice looking and desirable barrel. It is now quite an expensive mistake to learn from.

Why did you try removing the pins in the first place and why did the nose cap get partially torn off in the process? Not trying to be rude, but I'm not quite sure what you were trying to accomplish.

If you were worried it might have been a fake, you should have contacted the GunBroker seller BEFORE getting out the grinder, because as it sits now, he would have NEVER taken it back.

Also not trying to be THAT guy, but a grinder should have never even come close to this. If you were having trouble with the pins (for whatever reason you were trying to remove them for), you should have taken it to a professional.

Reminds me of that incident a few years ago if anyone else remembers........

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/nzjAZVF.jpg
View Quote

What's the story on that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread is a perfect example why some people should have their hands broken & leave gunsmithing to professionals!

Or

Epic Trolling!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Moose,

Welcome.  

JT is outstanding to work with.  

Hang around, you will get tons of positive support and information.

Plus, it will help fuel your RBRD !!!

Best, BC
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in 2009, a guy received a Spikes Lower that was slightly out of spec. He complained on the forum and Spikes said to mail it back and they would replace it.

He didn't understand how to send it back to Spikes. So he threw a temper-tantrum, got frustrated, and took a saw to it.

Found the old thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/171075_.html

In the end, he shipped the cut up lower back to them. Though, funny thing is the guy still is active on the forum.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#6]
sometimes a tapered fit can rust and then it will act like part of the same piece of metal.  Taper pins are stubborn without rust.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Back in 2009, a guy received a Spikes Lower that was slightly out of spec. He complained on the forum and Spikes said to mail it back and they would replace it.

He didn't understand how to send it back to Spikes. So he threw a temper-tantrum, got frustrated, and took a saw to it.

Found the old thread.

In the end, he shipped the cut up lower back to them. Though, funny thing is the guy still is active on the forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found the old thread.

Lol wat!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
sometimes a tapered fit can rust and then it will act like part of the same piece of metal.  Taper pins are stubborn without rust.
View Quote

In pic #2 you can see some rust creeping out from in-between the barrel and FSB.
I'm guessing that the pin may be rusted in place. They could be in there tight enough to need to be pressed out.

Moose, why were you trying to take it apart? In the gunbroker pictures it looks like a decent barrel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd rather drive taper pins than the non-tapered straight ones. I've been wrestling with a pair of those lately.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Moose, it's fixable...... You just cost yourself about $100.00 in repairs/parts plus shipping. John will fix it up like new and you will never know it was ALMOST FUBAR'd.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Moose, I understand your disdain for some of the previous comments, but you also have to understand the big picture here. We here in the retro forum strive for purity and to keep as much original as possible, and when we see an original Colt barrel taken to the belt sander for seemeingly no good reason, it gets us a little worked up. I'm sure you can understand that. You're here, afterall.

Please stick around, this is a great place to learn, and the guys here are top notch. I hope you can chalk it up as a small bump in the long road leading to retro greatness. Everyone makes mistakes, it's the ones who get back up over and over that will, in the end, prevail.

Welcome, and good call on getting with JT, he is the master, as you will soon find out. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, guys - I'm VERY appreciative that I was able to get help, and find a solution. Expensive mistake, but lesson learned. JT will fix me up, and I'll be able to recover.

After a bit of a rough start, I'm ready for a fresh start on the board. Let's see if I can be a contributor, as well as a consumer. Looking forward to more interesting and informative conversations with everyone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Found the old thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found the old thread.

That's just too funny thanks I needed that  today !
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Found the old thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found the old thread.

Now that was off the edge, just read all 20 pages....
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks, guys - I'm VERY appreciative that I was able to get help, and find a solution. Expensive mistake, but lesson learned. JT will fix me up, and I'll be able to recover.

After a bit of a rough start, I'm ready for a fresh start on the board. Let's see if I can be a contributor, as well as a consumer. Looking forward to more interesting and informative conversations with everyone.
View Quote

Excellent!    Welcome.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Only in this forum can such spirit, brotherhood and charity be found !

Lets us join in allegiance and endeavor to protect, to preserve, to hoard and to treasure the building blocks of our military heritage no matter how extreme the challenge may be.............Be it Capt. Crunch, the face of financial debt, or unspeakable cannibalistic modification, the challenge is OURS....
So be it written, on this the 29th Day of our Lord, November 2011.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Welcome back Moose.

For the record I was one of the civil ones!

Everyone here is good folk. You'll not find a more civil forum on the interwebs.

Hell even when we are uncivil we are pretty civilized about it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I may have missed it but what are you trying to create with the barrel?

Finestkind
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top