Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2015 4:14:09 PM EDT
I'm a bit lost here, and need some help before I contact the GunBroker seller.

I purchased a retro 20" pencil barrel assembly, but think it may be a replica barrel for non-firing models.

The pins wouldn't budge at all, so I decided just to carefully grind the front sight base off. What I found is "odd", to say the least. It appears the pins are fake. I ground one pin off and found there's no pin at all going through the front sight base. The metal is "formed" somehow to look like a pin, but it is not. The entire sight base and right into the barrel itself is actually a solid piece of metal! Meaning, the sight base is actually fixed onto the barrel, or appears that way, and the "pins" don't really exist.

I believe the seller gave me a replica barrel, maybe something used to build non-firing "wall hangers" or replicas that sit on a display stand on a desk.

I've attached pictures for some help. The first picture shows one of the pins ground off, so you can compare to the pin next to it. As you can see, there's no separate pin going through the sight - the front sight base is all one, solid block of metal. You can also see in the first picture that, after grinding into the barrel just a bit, it too is part of a single piece of metal with the sight base. Although they look like separate parts, this is one, formed/cast piece of metal shaped to look like a real "real" barrel. The second picture shows the other side with one of the pins ground off for comparison, where you can again clearly see there's no pin going through the front sight.

Does anyone here see otherwise? Anyone ever see this before? Thoughts?

-Moose
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Moose,
The pins are tapered and will only remove from one direction. when they didn't budge, you should have tried hitting from the other side. From your pics, the pin is clearly visible under your grind marks. There appears to be carbon in the gastube hole as well.
Pic's of the chamber, and bore would confirm that you do have a real barrel. You should see rifling inside as well.
Keep us posted,
DanG
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Moose,
The pins are tapered and will only remove from one direction. when they didn't budge, you should have tried hitting from the other side. From your pics, the pin is clearly visible under your grind marks. There appears to be carbon in the gastube hole as well.
Pic's of the chamber, and bore would confirm that you do have a real barrel. You should see rifling inside as well.
Keep us posted,
DanG
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The second picture, you can see the transition material difference between the gas block and the pin.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Appears to be a real barrel to me.  THe taper pins are tough sometimes.  Set the barrel on a hard wood block and use a good hollow nosed pin punch.  I think they remove left to right, but it has been years since I have had to take off a FSB.  Just curious.  Why were you removing the FSB?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a pair of calipers you can measure the pins. The left side of the pin, as looking from the rear, should be about .125 or so. The right side, as looking from the rear, will be about .140- .146 or so.   You drive the pin out from left to right. Some are VERY VERY VERY VERY hard to knock out.
   I don't know what you would hope to gain by contacting the seller, in my opinion.  Personally, I think you were a little quick to break out the cut-off wheel/die grinder.
How do you suppose that front handguard cap was installed if the sight/barrel WAS actually one piece.........which it isn't.
Edit:  you weren't too careful in your grinding.......you've ground into the barrel on the one side.  I hate to sound like an ass and give you a hard way to go, but geez man, think the process through a little before doing irreparable damage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have a pair of calipers you can measure the pins. The left side of the pin, as looking from the rear, should be about .125 or so. The right side, as looking from the rear, will be about .140- .146 or so.   You drive the pin out from left to right. Some are VERY VERY VERY VERY hard to knock out.
   I don't know what you would hope to gain by contacting the seller, in my opinion.  Personally, I think you were a little quick to break out the cut-off wheel/die grinder.
How do you suppose that front handguard cap was installed if the sight/barrel WAS actually one piece.........which it isn't.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang, looks like you Dirked a perfectly good FSB.......
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dang, looks like you Dirked a perfectly good FSB.......
View Quote

This is my thought too, along with the aforementioned grinding damage to the actual barrel itself.

OP your barrel looks fine/legit to me. Can i ask why were you trying to take the FSB off in the first place? Did you think it was a replica before this process?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice job Sam...

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Please stop grinding!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
What other markings are on the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

He said VP in a triangle with faint 12 near the threads.

LMAO..

In all seriousness, I zoomed in and it looks like a very worn MP between the FSB legs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are the worst type of person

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO, swallowed my toungue for a second there......
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
And Jesus wept...when he saw the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
If you need help getting everything back in shape, let me know.  I can help you with everything you'll need done.

John Thomas
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you need help getting everything back in shape, let me know.  I can help you with everything you'll need done.

John Thomas
[email protected]
View Quote

Please take him up on this offer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Moose - first, welcome to the forum.  

Second - if this is the worst problem you run into, you will be fine.  John Thomas is a master at rebuilding stuff.  He can patch that up with a new FSB and get it back in shape so don't sweat it too bad!

Also, great resources here to access BEFORE getting a bigger hammer (or grinder as the case may be) so ask lots of questions next time.  And if you get into retro builds, there WILL be a next time!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas
[email protected]

This!  John is an ace of a guy, and does beyond awesome work.. He is in short.. the retro-god!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#20]
From what I can see that's a real barrel. The pin for the FSB is visible the ground up area in pic #2. Another giveaway that it's not all one piece is the rust creep coming from in-between the FSB and barrel.

The tapered pins can sometimes be tight and are only come out one way. An easy way to remember which way they come out is that they come out on the same side that the brass comes out.

Looking at the pictures I'm guessing you were aiming to replace the handguard cap?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Moose - first, welcome to the forum.  

Second - if this is the worst problem you run into, you will be fine.  John Thomas is a master at rebuilding stuff.  He can patch that up with a new FSB and get it back in shape so don't sweat it too bad!

Also, great resources here to access BEFORE getting a bigger hammer (or grinder as the case may be) so ask lots of questions next time.  And if you get into retro builds, there WILL be a next time!  
View Quote

This.

Welcome to the madness Moose.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
live and learn, the key being the learning part.

next time you'll know.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#23]
First Post Hall of Fame.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I hope he comes back and takes jt up on his offer
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I think troll:

Join date - today
First post in the correct forum
Knows how to post pictures
Knows the sight of that poor barrel and FSB would set our hearts on fire...
Logged on for a grand total of 7 minutes...

I would lay odds that he and his friends are sitting back and laughing at all of us...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought that was the case, too - meaning, I thought I could see the pins in the grind marks, especially in the picture. Unfortunately, the circles on the grinded portion do not line up with the pins on the other side, so much so that the circles couldn't be the pins. That's what's driving me crazy :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Alright, who set up the shill account to prank us...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#28]
might be a barrel stub too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think troll:

Join date - today
Looged on for a grand total of 7 minutes...

I would lay odds that he and his friends are sitting back and laughing at all of us...
View Quote

You really think that he has friends...??

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought that was the case, too - meaning, I thought I could see the pins in the grind marks, especially in the picture. Unfortunately, the circles on the grinded portion do not line up with the pins on the other side, so much so that the circles couldn't be the pins. That's what's driving me crazy :)
View Quote

The pins are right where they should be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#31]
double post
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think troll:

Join date - today
Looged on for a grand total of 7 minutes...

And he logges in right after to post something that we all know cannot be true...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I poked around google and could not find those pictures on an image search.  I am guessing a barrel stub or demilled.  NOBODY is that stupid....
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I poked around google and could not find those pictures on an image search.  I am guessing a barrel stub or demilled.  NOBODY is that stupid....
View Quote

Not to mention any retro barrel on Gunbroker would had someone here on the Retro furum posting a heads up. I vote barrel stub

and troll credit to the OP - nicely done!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Somebody has too much time and nothing to do then.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Really guys? And you wonder why I haven't posted to the forums before. The ratio of "Welcome" and "We can help" versus "You're a Biden-loving moron/idiot/retard/infidel" is ridiculous, not to mention unwelcoming. And the snobbery of the "I'm Retro-Man and Do Everything Right Every Time" is disappointing to an average guy try to get through his first retro build. Yet, I'm supposedly the troll? I do hope there are admins here worth anything that could at least TRY to change the unwelcoming, juvenile, self-absorbed culture I've seen so far.

I asked for help, and JT answered. I spoke with JT by phone, and followed up in email - I'm sure he has the experience and skill to do what I couldn't, but with dignity and respect. I'm looking forward to having a true expert help.

And here's the GunBroker auction, for those of you following: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471534177. Oh, what a surprise! It was won by..."  mooseinde "...how about that. I'm not sure why the top echelon of AR15.com Forum Elitists weren't notified of the auction, maybe your contacts doing so are tired of you, too.

-Moose
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#38]
No troll, unfortunately just a newbie learning a very expensive lesson.  
Never be afraid to ask for help.

GB auction
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Really guys? And you wonder why I haven't posted to the forums before. The ratio of "Welcome" and "We can help" versus "You're a Biden-loving moron/idiot/retard/infidel" is ridiculous, not to mention unwelcoming. And the snobbery of the "I'm Retro-Man and Do Everything Right Every Time" is disappointing to an average guy try to get through his first retro build. Yet, I'm supposedly the troll? I do hope there are admins here worth anything that could at least TRY to change the unwelcoming, juvenile, self-absorbed culture I've seen so far.

I asked for help, and JT answered. I spoke with JT by phone, and followed up in email - I'm sure he has the experience and skill to do what I couldn't, but with dignity and respect. I'm looking forward to having a true expert help.

And here's the GunBroker auction, for those of you following: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=471534177. Oh, what a surprise! It was won by..."  mooseinde "...how about that. I'm not sure why the top echelon of AR15.com Forum Elitists weren't notified of the auction, maybe your contacts doing so are tired of you, too.

-Moose
View Quote

I came real close to bidding on that one

JT is awesome and will get things back up and running in no time, for a very reasonable price Im sure. Good luck in your future retro builds, and even though your welcome was a bit lacking on our collective parts, we are a pretty helpful bunch usually. The tacked threads at the top along with www.retroblackrifle.com are excellent resources. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Moose, Sorry the welcome was pulled in on you. Most people here are very mature and most helpful.
I'm a thinking some people are feeling rather small and ashamed right now. Because they do know better. Blame it on a Friday night and no where to go.
Good luck. And stay civil.
Dave
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Moose, can you see how it looked? The picture is pretty graphic and I'm sure most of the members that viewed the picture might have been taken back a bit. Combine that with a first post and minds begin to wander. I am glad you got hooked up with JT, he has treated me very well in the past. Good luck, and welcome if its not too late.

I sold that seller a CMPB barrel last year. I thought that might be it, but I had it reparked..By JT of course.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

-Moose
View Quote

No need to get snippy although i can understand why you would. Most of the posts like mine, were out of concern. In any case like I said before JT will get you all fixed up. Your barrel is legit. We are all a big family here, some of us poke fun sometimes, others of us act differently but we are all one big helpful retro family. Stick around we don't bite and we help fellow retro heads out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

-Moose
View Quote

Well, since I am the guy that claimed you were a troll, I must offer up my personal apology. Ya got to admite, it sure looked that way...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Moose, you asked for help, received plenty of great advice and many welcomes, then return for a second post to tell everyone they don't know what they are talking about and the circles everyone sees don't line up with the pins. Sorry, but it did seem odd. Please accept the apologies and stick around.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Lesson to be learned here kinda like "Measure Twice Cut Once" ....

is "ASK FIRST.......and PUT THE GRINDING WHEEL AWAY!!!!".

The only reason most guys wigged out is we search high and low everyday for RETRO parts, and we cringe seeing original parts getting hacked. Don't be offended, like they said it is just an expensive lesson.

Good luck Bro and JT will definitely take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#46]
You have my apology, also, sir.  I really did think it was one of the regulars pranking us with a fake account. It just seemed it was like taking a  classic 1967 Corvette, and cutting a sun roof with a hack saw!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
First Post Hall of Fame.
View Quote

I'll admit I had an old SKS barrel kick my butt many a years ago, but it didn't quit get that far out of hand. Sometime it's best just to take a break.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:04:53 AM EDT
[#48]
You can clearly see the pin channel in your grind marks man....you just hacked up a real retro barrel.

I would take this as a lesson learned. Next time post pics before busting out the angle grinder/dremel
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#49]
You won't find a friendlier group on the web, you would be surprised how often things like this are posted elsewhere just to get a laugh.

Everyone here means well, it just ended up being something other than it seemed on the surface.

I hope you decide to stick around, it would be a shame to see you go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No troll, unfortunately just a newbie learning a very expensive lesson.  
Never be afraid to ask for help.
View Quote

Been there, made some mistakes too. But asking for help, yep, its tough sometimes. Glad OP is in touch with JT. No unkind words, just get it fixed and show us the pics.

Welcome to the forum! Stick around, it gets better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top