Type C Stock - 1NavyChief-RET
NOS No Drain A1 Stock Screw - jhud
NOS Colt Semi Gloss Skinny A1 Pistol Grip - dfvaulter
NOS 601 Pistol Grip Screw w/washer - aeyoung
XM16E1 Lower Receiver - Nodak Spud LLC
NOS XM Gray Slipring - Gunbroker
Carbon Steel Early Bend Gastube - BenC
NOS No Drain Type C HG's - dfvaulter
M VP 12  Barrel NOS (Sight Assembly/Sling Swivel Not Included) - Colt Executive's Estate Sale
Front Site Post/assembly - PIF Thread
Sling Swivel/Roll Pin - imarangemaster
Improved Threeprong Flash Hider (NIW 1966 Dated Package) - Colt Executive's Estate Sale
NOS Colt (NIW 12 Pack 7/1967 Dated) Lock Washers - eBay
Energa Grenade Spring (Original) - PIF Thread
Colt Circle 1 .223 Magazine Body - PIF thread
Colt Circle 1 Mag Follower/Spring/Baseplate - jperry
M1 Cotton Sling - Local Gun Shop
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn hip thats nice!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It's got THE look.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If it had a slabside lower it would be perfect!  

Really nice upper!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I just noticed.......you have one that's left handed too. Cool
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just noticed.......you have one that's left handed too. Cool
View Quote

Pic came out upside down so I flipped it

I can't take pics to save my life, you are lucky I got them uploaded at all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Bar just keeps getting higher. Damn nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh man that is a beauty! Congrats on getting it done, there is a lot of legwork in that!

Is that the cast fsb mvp12 barrel you had?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome Build!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice!

Quoted:
If it had a slabside lower it would be perfect!  

Really nice upper!
View Quote

The partial fence is correct.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet build
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh man that is a beauty! Congrats on getting it done, there is a lot of legwork in that!

View Quote

It's my forged one....

Question - Should I keep this Colt M16A1 bolt release or use a transitional type? I've dumped god knows how much into this so far, what's another $150.00+. ??
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's my forged one.... Felt stupid having to use a rivet for the sling swivel but it's an easy fix.

Question - Should I keep this Colt M16A1 bolt release or use a transitional type? I've dumped god knows how much into this so far, what's another $150.00+. ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my forged one.... Felt stupid having to use a rivet for the sling swivel but it's an easy fix.

Eh WTF, go for it. You have all the other bells and whistles.

...and fix early in your title while your at it. I had to see what an eary 604 was.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

...and fix early in your title while your at it. I had to see what an eary 604 was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Love the dimpled mag bar, that's a nice touch.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice, is that original finish on the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
on my early builds, i use the skinny 602 style pistol grip, pistol grip screw w/ the hole, early detents that are rounded on one end, carbon steel early bend gas tube, unmarked rear aperture, many circles mag button and transitional bolt catch.

if i was going for a real early one, i'd use a cast FSB w/ square ejection port cover w/ the angled detent housing and type C stock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
on my early builds, i use the skinny 602 style pistol grip, pistol grip screw w/ the hole, early detents that are rounded on one end, carbon steel early bend gas tube, unmarked rear aperture, many circles mag button and transitional bolt catch.

if i was going for a real early one, i'd use a cast FSB w/ square ejection port cover w/ the angled detent housing and type C stock.
View Quote

I have everything except the port cover and transitional catch but will look. I had a Type C Stock on it but changed it to a New Type D at the last minute. I'm using a 601 grip screw and the rear aperature is the old unmarked variety. I can easily swap barrels to the cast FSB M VP if I want to at a later time.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very nice, is that original finish on the upper receiver?
View Quote

Proofs are very clear and crisp, the inside matches the outside as well. I took it all apart to search for areas that may have been missed during refinishing and found nothing. I went as far as to hit a hidden area with light sand paper and no traces of refinishing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm sick for slicks!

And THAT my friend is a REAL slick example!

If it wasn't late and I wasn't lazy I'd fix your left handed pic.

Maybe tomorrow!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm sick for slicks!

Maybe tomorrow!
View Quote

I can build nice things with my bare hands but am a failure at photobucket and photoshop. LOL.

I Fixed it!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I can build nice things with my bare hands but am a failure at photobucket and photoshop. LOL.

I Fixed it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sick for slicks!

Maybe tomorrow!

I Fixed it!

Thank GOD! I was just about to do it so it wouldn't bother me all night!

OCD at it's finest!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice build.  Sweet gathering of parts.  Type C when you can.  Transitional catch if you switch to cast FSB barrel of course then you might want a no fence lower for the earliest 604 clone.  Possibly square pad door but I've never seen one on a 604.  Could just be due to user abuse / bent up and already swapped out along the way as 1964 was a long time ago especially on a military base.  Early parts are retro bling so if one has them they migjht as well use.  All the earliest 604 square uppers I've had or seen were rectangle pad door but for first assembled pieces,  square pad does make sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#23]

That is one SWEET Rifle you have there.

Thank you for finishing it me.  When are you going to shipped it back to me (LOL)?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice build.  Sweet gathering of parts.  Type C when you can.  Transitional catch if you switch to cast FSB barrel of course then you might want a no fence lower for the earliest 604 clone.  Possibly square pad door but I've never seen one on a 604.  Could just be due to user abuse / bent up and already swapped out along the way as 1964 was a long time ago especially on a military base.  Early parts are retro bling so if one has them they migjht as well use.  All the earliest 604 square uppers I've had or seen were rectangle pad door but for first assembled pieces,  square pad does make sense.
View Quote

I'm thinking maybe just a transitional bolt catch and large pad port door and then calling it done. Spent years on this one and have others that I need to get going on, John Thomas has my XM4 barrel and I'd like to do a 653 with the 16" Colt 1x7 barrel I have.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is one SWEET Rifle you have there.

Thank you for finishing it me.  When are you going to shipped it back to me (LOL)?

View Quote

Eric,

Let me get the calculator out and we will get your bill sir. Please refrain from dropping dead upon hearing your total and have a nice day!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fixed. Well it is about as early an example as one could build isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed. Well it is about as early an example as one could build isn't it?

Yeah, man I'm digging it. Just messing with ya Hipster.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice man!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Dang it!!!   Just when I think I'm on my last build you go and post this beauty.
CRAP! curse this RBRD Beautiful build Will.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Very nice build!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dang it!!!   Just when I think I'm on my last build you go and post this beauty.
CRAP! curse this RBRD Beautiful build Will.
View Quote

My sentiment exactly George
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks good, Hip. I am gonna have to look for a slick side upper at some point. I got my Nodak 80% XM16E1 lower the other day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks guys. I'm going crazy looking for a lighter gray slipring for this build. I have piles of charcoal, bronze/gray, and black. I want something different!

If any of you see a large pad port door, many circles button please let me know

Put a 602 skinny grip and Type C stock on this evening, I like the looks a lot better. The no drains I have for it have some scratches but are very nice and a semi gloss finish like the stock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thanks guys. I'm going crazy looking for a lighter gray slipring for this build. I have piles of charcoal, bronze/gray, and black. I want something different!

If any of you see a large pad port door, many circles button, or transitional bolt release please let me know

Put a 602 skinny grip and Type C stock on this evening, I like the looks a lot better. The no drains I have for it have some scratches but are very nice and a semi gloss finish like the stock.

View Quote
Well show us the pics!

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well show us the pics!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If any of you see a large pad port door, many circles button, or transitional bolt release please let me know

Well show us the pics!  

Updated pics will be posted when I get the large pad port door and XM gray slip ring from Jhud. Still need a damn many circles button and I'm done.

I think.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Updated pics will be posted when I get the large pad port door and XM gray slip ring from Jhud. Still need a damn many circles button and I'm done.

I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well show us the pics!  

I think.

Dang...I've been digging through slip rings in the basement, and was just getting ready to take some pics and you already found one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dang...I've been digging through slip rings in the basement, and was just getting ready to take some pics and you already found one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well show us the pics!  

I think.

I could always use a spare
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#38]
So I got this Large Pad Port Door coming for the 604 along with a XM Gray Slipring and I was in need of some No Drain Stock Screws. I installed the Type C Stock and No Drain Handgaurds but will have to take them off to install the XM Gray Slipring and Port Door. So for now I have a teaser picture for you guys, and will post more pics when everything is installed. I STILL need to find a Many Circles Mag Button, but other than that I'd say she's done.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I think you can slide the door hinge pin through from the backside since there's no forward assist.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think you can slide the door hinge pin through from the backside since there's no forward assist.
View Quote

Your right, but I decided to go with a lighter gray slipring so the barrel has to come off anyway. No biggie, the earlybend gastube is a PITA sometimes to install, luckily they come off easy enough.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Roger that.....looking good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks to PrivateSnafu, I have a Many Circles Mag button on the way. It only took me 3 days to find a nice one. The only wear on the button is on the center and outer rings.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks to PrivateSnafu, I have a Many Circles Mag button on the way. It only took me 3 days to find a nice one. The only wear on the button is on the center and outer rings.

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/IMG_1627-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/IMG_1627-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Was it the EE ad or the signature that got it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s236.photobucket.com/user/whiskey_024/media/IMG_1627-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/whiskey_024/IMG_1627-1.jpg</a>

Neither! It was a combo of help from m1sniper, Hal143, and boywonder that lead me to email him.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Neither! It was a combo of help from m1sniper, Hal143, and boywonder that lead me to email him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, you think they could track down an XM16E1 upper for me?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patience Grasshopper! Took me the better part of 3 years to find the upper in the OP, I passed on a few along the way that weren't as nice. You will find one.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Patience Grasshopper! Took me the better part of 3 years to find the upper in the OP, I passed on a few along the way that weren't as nice. You will find one.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have to order an NDS lower and wait on a stamp so I don't need it now, I'm just impatient.

Going to see if I can get the lower ordered tomorrow, I tried to at one LGS yesterday and they wouldn't do it. Unless they are getting a big commission check they don't care if you buy anything or not, going to a hole in the wall tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Should've put receiver.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:57:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Done
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I still have to order an NDS lower and wait on a stamp so I don't need it now, I'm just impatient.

Going to see if I can get the lower ordered tomorrow, I tried to at one LGS yesterday and they wouldn't do it. Unless they are getting a big commission check they don't care if you buy anything or not, going to a hole in the wall tomorrow.
View Quote

It you're real impatient, grab an NDS 603 upper and remove the forge code to tide you over til you can find a real one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top