Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2015 12:04:22 AM EDT
Built 4 retro rifles about seven years ago, but only have two left. One is my Air Force mixmaster I've posted a few times lately. This is my other one. Back when barreled uppers were everywhere for less than two bills, I happened upon this nice barreled H&R upper. Oh, those where the days. The upper has more of a blacker finish compared to the lower, but I like the difference. The other two I sold (pieced out), where built on Tactics A1 lowers for those that remember them. Once Nodak's came out, the Tactics were sold. Anyway, just thought I would share for those H&R fans.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  Sure wish I'd gotten in on those early buys!

Noticed, though, that you missed an opportunity with that post.  Shoulda featured a completely different firearm!  (Check your post count.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice build.  I've got a SAK rebarreled upper that's sitting on an A2 lower. I really need to grab a Nodak for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow thats nice
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A 2 didget serial numbered NDS A1 lower to boot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice.  Sure wish I'd gotten in on those early buys!

Noticed, though, that you missed an opportunity with that post.  Shoulda featured a completely different firearm!  (Check your post count.)
View Quote

First thing I noticed about the thread  ^^
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice build. Thx for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
1911........ Well shoot. Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a classic, Joebud. Thanks for posting for our enjoyment. Nice H&R
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]
JoeBud, that is one of my favorate clones.  I like the overall look with the dark colors and when you see the details and understand what they mean it is a bonus.  I like how the barrel is smooth between the FSB legs.  Did that come with a BCG or charging handle?  If so, can you show pics of them?  Anything interesting about the hand guards? (on the inside?)  Is your upper black / gray / dark gray?  I have what is probably a GM barreled upper that I've been calling "black" but when I see it on a black lower in sunlight I realize it is a very dark shade of gray.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
At the risk of sounding redundant, very nice H&R build JB
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
somebob, when mated with a gray lower, it looks black.  When mated to a black lower, it looks like a dark gray. It didn't come with a matched BCG and CH, but the batch of uppers I got it with came with period correct C marked and non-C marked carriers and gray CH's. Hand guards are R and L stamped. Gas tube is an early bend.

Here it is mated to a black A2.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool, thanks for posting.  Is the slip ring a little darker than the receiver?  It is hard to tell in pictures sometimes.  I'll have to take some pictures of my upper on a black and gray lower for comparison.

ETA:  I think the positioning of the "M P" marked bolt in the non marked carrier is a GM or H&R style.  Are the "M" and "P" siamesed or is there a space between them?

Quoted:
somebob, when mated with a gray lower, it looks black.  When mated to a black lower, it looks like a dark gray. It didn't come with a matched BCG and CH, but the batch of uppers I got it with came with period correct C marked and non-C marked carriers and gray CH's. Hand guards are R and L stamped. Gas tube is an early bend.

Here it is mated to a black A2.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b521/JoeBud7/7e50785244c31c3e2d5de65cf5d8799f_zps8cf3acdf.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b521/JoeBud7/a399cbbab1b5b559f0af24135abaaa9c_zps723e2cd8.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b521/JoeBud7/e6a9c97c65e02ca1119b8a9be7a1ed2a_zps454d5dc8.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#14]
The upper and slip ring are identical in color. There is a space between the M and P. That would be too ironic if that is correct for an H&R, because I have that BCG in another rifle. So maybe the upper did come with the matching BCG, but I just didn't realize it.  Until now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#15]
That would be cool if it was the original BCG.  I believe PrivateSnafu is knowlegable regarding bolt markings, is that correct?    This might be something we could put on the tacked GM / H&R thread too.

Quoted:
The upper and slip ring are identical in color. There is a space between the M and P. That would be too ironic if that is correct for an H&R, because I have that BCG in another rifle. So maybe the upper did come with the matching BCG, but I just didn't realize it.  Until now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Very nice build.  Could easily be the right BCG.  Bolt sounds right anyway.  Lot of that stuff got changed out  over time.  Pretty sure member Weapnsman or such posted his observations on the BCG combo's he's seen in a different thread.  Kinda remember some having C and MP markeked BCG's but don't remember if H&R or GM or both.  Any markings on the HG plastic under heat shields in the corners?  Nato cloverleafs or numbers or combination of both?  Pretty cool it had an early gas tube on it.  Didn't think they were used in production rifles during that manufacturing era.  Most I've seen were on arsenal refurbs or replacement parts builds.  Super duper regardless.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice build OP...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope I am in the right thread.  Very nice build, btw.  I am looking for dimensions of the old M16A1 windage drum, specifically the 5 detent hole distances from center.  Does anyone with some calipers or dimension knowledge have this information?

Thanks, so much
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#20]
2ic1ih,

Roughly,  0.270 center to center of holes of windage screw hole to windjustment hole and  0.340 spacing center to center between windage adjustment holes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks great JoeBud!  I have an early NDS A1 lower #17 that I used to build my XM177E2.   I have a Tactics A1 lower on my M16A1 build.   Wow, those were the days when our options on A1 lowers were few...I remember being on the list for the Tactics lower for over a year.  Yes, the logo on the Tactics is too modern...and the front pivot lugs...well mine was one of the better looking lowers...some were awful lol!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#22]
H&R bolts have the no space, MP makings that are unique in that they run parallel to the extractor (on top of extractor with bolt face to the right).

___MP__
(_______|

The handguards don't have the L or R markings.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice looking build Joe.

H&R bolt ass'y

GM  bolt
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice!! and some great GM and H&R retro info thanks. Does the H&R stock and handguards have any markings like the GM's do with the little + cast into them?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the clarification PrivateSnafu. As mentioned, the M and P are spaced, so who knows who the bolt maker is. Thanks for all the other comments guys.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the clarification PrivateSnafu. As mentioned, the M and P are spaced, so who knows who the bolt maker is. Thanks for all the other comments guys.
View Quote

that sounds like an early colt bolt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It did come in a non-C marked Colt carrier.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah i've run across the M P parked bolts early parkerized XM16E1 carriers with the enlarged firing pin retaining hole without the C stamp
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:yeah i've run across the M P parked bolts early parkerized XM16E1 carriers with the enlarged firing pin retaining hole without the C stamp
View Quote

Yeah, that's what this one is. It has the enlarged pin hole. Thanks for the info. Nice to know exactly what it is. I'm also confident I never had a H&R BCG in the batch I bought, because the only ones I sold off were Colt marked.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top