User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More 20" M16A1 barrels are on the way.  When we receive new versions without F-Marked front sight bases, the description on the current barrel will update.

Other barrels in the works include:
View Quote

You guys really are awesome. I think the only negative to this is that I already bought a 20" because I didn't know how long it would be until your correct FSB's would arrive.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My opinion is put the markings under the hand guard if they won't look authentic.

Thanks for the retro love. We need more barrel choices for our builds.

View Quote

The Original markings were:

C MP CHROME BORE - mainly from 1970 on A1 probile barrels, AFAIK. Also Sako made barrels and they were rollmarked "SAK MPCHROME BORE".

Check the retro guide on the Retro Forum.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]

I'd really like to see 14.7" rather than 14.5" if possible. There aren't any sources for a 14.7" pencil barrel and if you have a 16" cut, the profile isn't correct, most of us cloners prefer not to use extended flash hiders on a 14.5".

Thanks.
Quoted:
More 20" M16A1 barrels are on the way.  When we receive new versions without F-Marked front sight bases, the description on the current barrel will update.

20" M16A1 Lightweight 1-7 (with and without a front sight base installed)
16" Lightweight 1-12 Chrome Lined with Front Sight Base
14.5" Lightweight 1-12 Chrome Lined with Front Sight Base
11.5" Lightweight 1-12 Chrome Lined with Front Sight Base

These are all still a few months out, as we're currently ironing out a few details.

Also, we're sourcing new production flat delta rings.  These will be available individually, in a delta ring kit and pre-installed on all of the barrels noted above.
There are a few other projects in the works that retro fans will enjoy, but they're a bit too early to announce.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What we're getting at is if you want to supply the Retro crowd (and some lightweight KISS guys), the barrels need to be a non-tradition length so that a normal length flash hider can be pinned/welded in place for legal length.

12.7" + grenade ring + 4.5" FH = over 16"

14.7" + washer + FH = over 16"

Edited for math skillz....................
View Quote

What Hodor done said.

(It's not his fault if he can't math.)
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What we're getting at is if you want to supply the Retro crowd (and some lightweight KISS guys), the barrels need to be a non-tradition length so that a normal length flash hider can be pinned/welded in place for legal length.

View Quote

Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd really like to see 14.7" rather than 14.5" if possible. There aren't any sources for a 14.7" pencil barrel and if you have a 16" cut, the profile isn't correct, most of us cloners prefer not to use extended flash hiders on a 14.5".

Thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.
Quoted:

These are all still a few months out, as we're currently ironing out a few details.

Also, we're sourcing new production flat delta rings.  These will be available individually, in a delta ring kit and pre-installed on all of the barrels noted above.
There are a few other projects in the works that retro fans will enjoy, but they're a bit too early to announce.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Quoted:

http://img-f.pinside.com/201405/1640249/230582.gif

Even praying to the baby Jesus aint gonna work. I've tried and there's STILL no 14.7 lightweight barrels in sight!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good call.  We're early enough on, we can probably make those changes.  Will update shortly to confirm, but these shouldn't be an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call.  We're early enough on, we can probably make those changes.  Will update shortly to confirm, but these shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I'll be dipped!

ANOTHER hit on my saving account coming up!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well I'll be dipped!

View Quote

Suck it up Cal, these are good days for we retro-heads.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I'll be dipped!

I've been SAVED!

There's no indent under the ejection port!

Now of course the possibility of 12.7 and 14.7 barrels from Brownells is going to hurt a place on me!

PLUS I still need a midlength LW with the .625 FSB and have it cut down to 14.7 for my M16&3/4

" />
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Dumb question for the people who have brownells barrels. Did anyone think the hand guard caps didn't fit around the barrel right? I noticed on my two there was play in them like the diameter of the hole was larger than the barrel diameter. By comparison my original A1 barrels have no play.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pull it apart to see what the ID of the hole is.

I can't speak directly about the Brownells barrel, but many of the new manufactured hand guard caps do not have the pressed flange that intrudes into the rear of the FSB.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb question for the people who have brownells barrels. Did anyone think the hand guard caps didn't fit around the barrel right? I noticed on my two there was play in them like the diameter of the hole was larger than the barrel diameter. By comparison my original A1 barrels have no play.

Pull it apart to see what the ID of the hole is.

I can't speak directly about the Brownells barrel, but many of the new manufactured hand guard caps do not have the pressed flange that intrudes into the rear of the FSB.

I'm too big of a chicken to knock the pins out.

What you're saying makes sense though because while there is some play I don't think it's a case of it being a .750 cap or I would think the play would be way worse. I do have some old .625 caps from my A1 kits I could have someone change out if it bugged me enough.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Ordered one of these lightweight 20" 1 in 12 barrels on 8-5-15 and it arrived to my house yesterday.  

These still have F Marked front sight blocks.  I am really disappointed that they haven't fixed this yet.

FYI It does not come with the sling swivel or rivet, front sight, sight detent or spring either on the front sight block.  I had to place another order today for the swivel & rivet.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ordered one of these lightweight 20" 1 in 12 barrels on 8-5-15 and it arrived to my house yesterday.  

These still have F Marked front sight blocks.  I am really disappointed that they haven't fixed this yet.

FYI It does not come with the sling swivel or rivet, front sight, sight detent or spring either on the front sight block.  I had to place another order today for the swivel & rivet.

View Quote

Thanks for the update. Sorry it had to happen by surprise.
I would honestly send it back, especially as I believed they removed the F-Marked part from the description.
As for the swivel, rivet, post, detent, and spring, that is stated in the description if I recall and they do have a parts kit for it for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would honestly send it back, especially as I believed they removed the F-Marked part from the description.
As for the swivel, rivet, post, detent, and spring, that is stated in the description if I recall and they do have a parts kit for it for pretty cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a very nice barrel other than that - I already installed it as the alternative would require me to get the pinning jig for a Green Mountain barrel and tracking down a standard .625 front sight block. I am out of town next weekend, but will post a report once I take her out and see how she shoots.

In case anyone was wondering, the delta ring is the newer tapered style too.  I swapped mine for the straight one and now fully appreciate why they tapered them!  
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Did anyone think the hand guard caps didn't fit around the barrel right?

Mine is as tight or tighter than any of my original Colt LW's. Take's some real effort to get it to even move.

I reviewed the barrel assembly upon receipt and was able to achieve a best 10 shot grouping of 2" off a sand bag shooting prone. Ammo used were  hand loads averaging 3150 FPS mounted to a SP-1 upper receiver.  Winds were gusting at 30 plus MPH so I expect it to do a little better in calm weather.  Have since mounted the barrel assembly on a flat top scoped varmint rig and will be re-evaluating in near future under preferably better shooting conditions.  Mine also came with a Delta ring I swapped out for a slip ring and without sight or sling swivel pieces.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey Brownells!

Just backordered one of your 1/12 20" barrels.  Any idea when you'll be getting more in stock?  We need to complete all the 604 uppers that No-Dak is shipping out!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bump to nag for 1/7
View Quote

Bump to nag for Non-F-marked (A2 height) front sight bases
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump to nag for 1/7

I keep seeing that they will not have F marked bases.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking they will be the same sights just without a stamp.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump to nag for 1/7

No 1/7 barrel you can buy that anywhere 1-12 .625 fsb no m4 ramps. No f marked fsb and round round fsp.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:02:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Show me where I can buy a pencil 1/7 with a pinned front sight base, 556, and chrome lined
View Quote

Um...Maybe show me where the US military ever used a pencil 1/7 with a pinned front sight base. 556, and chrome lined in any of it's weapons???

From my understanding, this thread is in reference to Brownell's "Military Barrel" line of products...specifically their M16A1 barrel offering. That Brownell's created this particular product line in order to satisfy at least 2 niches in the AR market: Retro clone-builders & those looking to replace their worn-out or highly valuable original retro barrels with a similarly speced barrel that they can safely abuse. & That Brownell's created this thread in an effort to gather knowledge & opinions on:

1. Which military barrel formats are most in need of reproducing.
2. What are the technical aspects of those barrels.
3. How best to identify the reproduction barrels in a manner which would neither be too easily confused with an original, or too blatantly conflict with the markings of an original.

I think Brownell's current offering are pretty much spot-on, or rather... should be with this next batch of product. I think they've done an outstanding job of reproducing the flat slip-ring (even if it is anodized black rather than grey). That Brownell's consistently keeps improving this product line speaks volumes about their dedication to fulfilling the needs of our retro community, and I for one, am thoroughly impressed with their achievements thus far.

FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
both are irrelevant.  

Brownell's, I'm still very interested in a 1/7 please
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show me where I can buy a pencil 1/7 with a pinned front sight base, 556, and chrome lined

Um...Maybe show me where the US military ever used a pencil 1/7 with a pinned front sight base. 556, and chrome lined in any of it's weapons???

From my understanding,
both are irrelevant.  

Brownell's, I'm still very interested in a 1/7 please

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
M16A1 Barrels are back in stock.
The images haven't been updated yet, but these now ship with a flat slip ring, standard front sight base and correct profile under the hand guard.  New images should post in the coming days.

M16A1 20" Barrel
View Quote

Awesom !!! Any chance of coming out with 11.5" barrel in 1/12 with no m4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The images haven't been updated yet, but these now ship with a flat slip ring, standard front sight base and correct profile under the hand guard.  New images should post in the coming days.

View Quote

Excellent!
You might want to add in the specs about the front sight base's height to prevent further FAQ's about it. I'm sure the slip ring will be visible in the new images, but I know I can't spot the height difference of an FSB.

I've updated this information on my Retro Barrel Spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Here is what we have in the works:

12.7" 5.56 1-12 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
14.7" 5.56 1-12 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
16" 5.56 1-12 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
20" 5.56 1-7 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
20" 5.56 1-7 Lightweight Stripped Barrel with M4 Feedramps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M16A1 20" Barrel

Awesom !!! Any chance of coming out with 11.5" barrel in 1/12 with no m4 feed ramps.

Here is what we have in the works:

12.7" 5.56 1-12 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
14.7" 5.56 1-12 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
16" 5.56 1-12 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
20" 5.56 1-7 Lightweight Barrel with Front Sight Base, Flat Slip Ring & Rifle Feedramps
20" 5.56 1-7 Lightweight Stripped Barrel with M4 Feedramps

When do you think 1/12 carbine barrels ( any length ) will be available. I need one to cut down to 10"
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
would the 12.7" work for you?

And big B, is the 16" barrel a carbine gas or midlength gas?  Midlength would be great!
View Quote

12.7 would work , need a 10" barrel and I would prefer a rifle extension and 1/12 twist, whatever they put out I'll have JT cut to 10".
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]
To the guys that have bought these, it says they have a black finish on their website. Are they the same black as on all the other modern barrels? Im guessing these don't have the same finish as an original barrel? Also, are they really non F sight bases or do they just not mark them F?
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
To the guys that have bought these, it says they have a black finish on their website. Are they the same black as on all the other modern barrels? Im guessing these don't have the same finish as an original barrel? Also, are they really non F sight bases or do they just not mark them F?
View Quote

I would trust Brownell's on the FSB. The made a point of it here and on their website that they are the correct height now.
As for the finish, it lists it as a phosphate finish so I assume it will match the finish of an original (especially if they are using the MIL-STD for the process). What you need to look out for is Nitride / QPQ stuff, which is often a jet black.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for clearing it up for me zman!
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!

We'll go with the rifle extension and mark the barrel under the hand guards.

We'll likely go with "B MP CHROME BORE 5.56 1-12".

View Quote

Jolly good.  M4 feed ramps are the work of the devil.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#49]
So, I just received one of these currently offered Brownells M16A1 military barrels...

&........................Awesome PICS are awesome....Enjoy:

Rifle feed ramps & chrome lining...check.

Laser-engraved barrel markings out of sight under the hand guards...check.

Proper A1 profile (.625 light under the hand guards; the front sight base; & beyond while tapered ever so slightly outward at very end of the muzzle)...check.

Will accept a standard M7 bayonet... check.

Will accept a standard M16 spring-loaded (clamp-style) bipod...check.

Non-F-Marked (fixed carry handle height) front sight base with proper .625 triangular hand guard end cap... check.

Plus it comes standard with a flat (albeit anodized black) reproduction slip ring installed... (Note: An original Colt slip ring is shown installed in the photos above.)

Overall - I'd say Brownells has done a pretty spot-on job with this barrel offering... especially at it's current price of @ $220.

So go get 'em while they're hot ARFCOM! ...as such sayings go, for retro goodness abounds with these.

FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top