Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

26 but I'm just a dumb '13er.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I may very well be the youngest Retro member that's been around 5 years or more, 8 year Retro Veteran just turned 31. If there are any youngster Reroheads out there please stand up.

I lurked here for 2 years before signing up, I've been coming since June 2006 and Signed up September 2008. I first was reading how to's in the Build it Yourself Forums when I was 23. Got my Pistol Permit and a S&W M&P40 for my 21st B-Day, Feb. 3rd 2004. Bought a Sino Soviet SKS in 2005, which got me hooked on milsurps.....spent 2 years collecting rifles with my 03FFL (C&R). Bought so many milsurps, I filled a large safe but back then Mosins, and Mausers were $59.00 and $139.00. I bought a crate of 10 M44's for $479.00 from SOG back then. BRD started after I bought a factory Bushmaster M4A2 in August 2006 and ended up lurking here in the Build it Yourself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I lurked here for 2 years before signing up, I've been coming since June 2006 and Signed up September 2008. I first was reading how to's in the Build it Yourself Forums when I was 23. Got my Pistol Permit and a S&W M&P40 for my 21st B-Day, Feb. 3rd 2004. Bought a Sino Soviet SKS in 2005, which got me hooked on milsurps.....spent 2 years collecting rifles with my 03FFL (C&R). Bought so many milsurps, I filled a large safe but back then Mosins, and Mausers were $59.00 and $139.00. I bought a crate of 10 M44's for $479.00 from SOG back then. BRD started after I bought a factory Bushmaster M4A2 in August 2006 and ended up lurking here in the Build it Yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I may very well be the youngest Retro member that's been around 5 years or more, 8 year Retro Veteran just turned 31. If there are any youngster Reroheads out there please stand up.

<Group therapist takes the podium & responds> "Thank You HipSh0T for that wondrously thread-derailing introduction...You are certainly among friends here at retroholics anonymous... Now, is there anyone here from Brownell's tonight that would perhaps care to share their insights with the group on the expected release date of these therapeutic A1-style retro barrels?"...

<group members begin to glance around at each other as crickets start to softly chirp in the background>
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

<Group therapist takes the podium & responds> "Thank You HipSh0T for that wondrously thread-derailing introduction...You are certainly among friends here at retroholics anonymous... Now, is there anyone here from Brownell's tonight that would perhaps care to share their insights with the group on the expected release date of these therapeutic A1-style retro barrels?"...

<group members begin to glance around at each other as crickets start to softly chirp in the background>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damnit. I thought this was BRD and RBRD Anonymous! Instead it was Cathy Mathers' Sales henceman from Brownells to sell us some smack. I was clean for exactly 48 hours before I was tricked into making a purchase, really wanted that 72 hour coin too! I earned it man...I earned it! Anyone wanna trade a 48 hour coin for a used A1 PG? Off to beg for change to buy a Carbon Steel Early Bend Gaastube.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The following is a scene from our last RBRD Support Group meeting.

" />

Please note the three older members welcoming a new initiate buy forcing him to ingest mass quantities of retro!

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rifle ext. and hidden laser markings +1
View Quote

This would be my choice as well....
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/chug.gif</a>" />

Please note the three older members welcoming a new initiate buy forcing him to ingest mass quantities of retro!

View Quote

Sadly that initiate was me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also, some pencil carbine barrels that are 14.7" would be great too.
View Quote

Just bumping this thought
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Want one of these barrels to replace the C MP B one on my XM16E1 so I can shoot it more (steel case too) without worrying about shooting out a retro bbl.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/chug.gif</a>" />

Serves you right for making me spend money!
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Want one of these barrels to replace the C MP B one on my XM16E1 so I can shoot it more (steel case too) without worrying about shooting out a retro bbl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't count..... Your not old enough to own a pistol or buy beer. LOL
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#13]
any updates brownells? prototype pic was a month ago.

some of us are trying to be patient
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

30, I've been here since before there was a Retro forum and organized one of the first group buys years ago on take off M16A1 uppers. don't post often anymore though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We just received a small shipment of 10 production barrels this morning.  There are quite a few more than that coming soon.  Tomorrow I'll have a picture for everyone.
If you'd like to call in to order, the SKU is 100-016-584.  Retail price is $219.99.  They should be on the website in the next week or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

We just received a small shipment of 10 production barrels this morning.  There are quite a few more than that coming soon.  Tomorrow I'll have a picture for everyone.
If you'd like to call in to order, the SKU is 100-016-584.  Retail price is $219.99.  They should be on the website in the next week or so.

I can't remember and I am too lazy to read.

Are these sighted or are they blind as a bat?

In "normal people talk" that means "Do they have the front sight base installed or not?"

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In "normal people talk" that means "Do they have the front sight base installed or not?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I believe so, though I don't recall anyone ever asking of they were 'F' marked or not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's a production barrel:
http://i.imgur.com/G9J4ek8.jpg

Front sights are "F" marked.  For historical accuracy, we can look at going with the standard front sight base in the future.
http://i.imgur.com/m7V7oUj.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful barrel, Would be nice if it was .625 under the FSB and lose the "F"

I will be buying one. Glad to see them.

ETA:  What was the twist you went with ???
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just to clarify, these do have a .625" gas block.
Twist is 1-12.

View Quote

First of all, Thank you for developing another retro barrel option for our niche and for keeping us informed. Not many (any) big retailers do that.

Just a comment; The contour appears slimmer under the handguards, what with the .625 gas block, it is an unusual overall profile. Would like to hear from the first person to purchase and shoot one!

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks great to me. When will they be on the site for sale?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#27]
This barrel will certainly be an option to consider. I actually don't mind the profile under the HGs. Could be a +factor in bulding a really light handling rifle. Just thinking this should be good for a retro shooter project.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you wanted to get one now, they're available for phone order per this post. On the web site in the next week or so.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The barrels should be up in a week or so.  

Thanks again everyone for the recommendations in this thread.  If these go well, the 14.7 & 16 barrels with 1-12 & 1-7 twists are a definite possibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again everyone for the recommendations in this thread.  If these go well, the 14.7 & 16 barrels with 1-12 & 1-7 twists are a definite possibility.

That is awesome, thank you very much for taking this on and especially for stopping in for input.

Really excited about a 14.7 with a 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Chrome lined, right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Chrome lined, right?
View Quote

First post in this thread said chrome bore and chamber.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A chrome-lined 16" and a 1/12 twist, with the FSB installed? My .22 A1 upper with a pre-Ceiner Atchison conversion installed will be getting a new barrel!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A chrome-lined 16" and a 1/12 twist, with the FSB installed? My .22 A1 upper with a pre-Ceiner Atchison conversion installed will be getting a new barrel!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"A"....??? Hell, I'll buy 4 while the getting is good!

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quick, everyone buy one so they start making a 14.7".
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#37]
F-height front sight base makes it a no-go for me at this time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like to see a unpinned option to use with original Colt FSBs, complete with authentic MP engraving.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. I'll still probably buy one but that detail is a big WTF.  If you're gonna go correct by doing rifle feed ramps, it makes more sense to do a regular FSB.

In Brownells defense, none of us said anything about the F-marked FSB beforehand, though I did ask for taper pins.

Also, should just do the weld spring and snap ring and omit the delta ring.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Never seen an F marked front sight base close up.    Excluding the "F",  are they very close in profile to a early seventies Colt FSB?
Just thinking,
That if I could get the FSB unpinned without damage, it might make a great start on a 605 barrel.
Grind off the forge flash, remove the F mark, cut off the bayonet lug from the FSB.
Cut and rethread the barrel.
No early, authentic Colt  parts would be harmed in the process.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Sold out?! Noooooooo!

That was fast. ETA on more?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sold out?! Noooooooo!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Sold out?! Noooooooo!

This is a good thing. See below.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#44]
They are perfect 605 barrels. You gotta pull the FSB to open the gas port on 605 barrels anyway, just purchase a Colt kit FSB, have it shaved and reparked, reassemble and your GTG.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Any plans for more of these barrels?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#47]
So...is there any chance that future A1 barrels will come with non-F-marked (fixed carry-handle height) front sight bases??
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So...is there any chance that future A1 barrels will come with non-F-marked (fixed carry-handle height) front sight bases??
View Quote

They said later runs wouldn't be F marked, they didn't say anything about non-F hight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top