Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2014 1:00:59 PM EDT
Can anyone here remove the "CH" from the upper so that looks like it was never there?  I could but I don't trust myself not to (mess) it up.  My OCD would step in an I'd go a little overboard.  Also if this is done will it keep the hard coat anodizing from properly adhering to the bare aluminum in this area??
Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Scott,

I've done several along the way.  I'm not anodizing at this time, though.  So, you'd need to take care of the finish work yourself.  

If you have it anodized, the old anodizing should be stripped clean (which I can do) and the entire piece re-anodized.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
John - I cannot tell you how much I love the finish on that BFPU/BTDT 601 clone. I think it's my favorite build you've done, with the possible exception of the LaFrance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it very carefully with a Dremel tool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd MAYBE try it (and below the ejection port cover) if it wasn't for the round forge in front of the ejection port.

Anyone ever reprofile THAT? There's no way I could do it!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I cheated and used an SP1 upper for my 601 reprofile project.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd MAYBE try it (and below the ejection port cover) if it wasn't for the round forge in front of the ejection port.

View Quote

I have done a few of those, too. It isn't too bad to do.  You just have to take your time.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]
So John,

Ever mill off a Brunton Bump??
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have done a few of those, too. It isn't too bad to do.  You just have to take your time.

John Thomas

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

John Thomas

Well of COURSE! I should have known Sir. John!

It looks like it would be a royal pain.

Got an after picture? (Not to hijack the OP's thread but it's SORT OF the same)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If you do a detailed comparison of an early Square-forged Upper to a later Round-forged Upper, there are many detail differences between them.

But removing the manufacturer's marks (C H in this case), putting the notch below the Ejection Port Door, and "squaring up" the edge in front of the Ejection Port Door does address the most obvious differences.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've done a couple with a dremel. An xm177e2 and an xm16 e1. Some of the purists frown upon it but it's what I had to build with. With a complete original upper, I wouldnt, but as a stripped upper, go for it.

I have thought about squaring them front at port door, but haven't attempted it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 602 replica on the bottom is an example:

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Very Nice!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

John Thomas

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/SP1%20and%20602/P1410207_zpsfcfd0a4c.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/SP1%20and%20602/P1410207_zpsfcfd0a4c.jpg

Thanks Mr. T! It looks pretty dayum incredible!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I've done it with an LM marked upper. Used a rubber eraser as a backer for 220 and 400 grit sandpaper. It came out pretty nice.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top