Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2014 11:18:04 AM EDT
I picked up an early model SP1 this past weekend and I'm wanting something that will clean, protect as well leave the receivers looking great when applied. Naturally I don't want to use something harsh that may harm the finish or leave it oil streak after applied.

What do you guys use on your prized pieces?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP, it was designed for it
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not tried the CLP on my SP1 even thou I have a can of it, I have used it on other guns. Based on past use.... I figure it would leave the receivers oily and streaked.
Then a seen a little support for the Aerosol Ballistol as a decent product, however I thought it may leave a build up over time.

Just wanted to know what everyone else used on their prized toys to make them look their best.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I originally used  RIG to protect the metal surfaces.  When that became scarce I started using Boeshield T-9.  I was recently turned on to a product called "AMMO".  It is a product that grew out of the auto restoration market originally called "RPM".  AMMO has been adopted by some NATO countries and several South American militaries are using it to protect their guns in the high humidity regions.  This stuff is amazing.  Goes on easy, is nearly invisible and it wears like iron.  www.ecs-ammo.com

Now full disclosure:  I sell and use Boeshield T-9 and RPM from the company I work for. We specialize in parts and accessories for automobile restorations.  That said I know what this stuff can do to preserve bare and coated metal on some of the top restorations out there.  I do not work for ECS nor do I sell the AMMO product.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Question seems to be asking about the cosmetic outside of receivers.  If so, there's no purpose to oil this.  I suppose you could, but it'd be purely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
This stuff has a;ways worked well for me.

Best smelling CLP I have found

No stores near me carry it so I order it in by the case
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
1) Breakfree CLP
2) Ballistol
3) LSA
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Breakfree CLP. Then a couple drops on a shaving brush on the outside of firearm. Never had a problem. The younger guys at work 25-30 years younger than me are using Frog Lube. I guess you can also eat it in a pinch? Haven't tried it yet on my firearms or dinner plate.

http://froglube.com/
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I use FP10 on darn near everything gun related.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I use M-Pro 7 on my AR's and M1's, I use a large aerosol can of Rem Oil to spray my guns down after shooting in the rain/drizzle. I've been using Hoppe's 9 for years and just recently tried their new product Hoppe's Elite. I keep boresnakes in all my Trapdoor stocks with tiny 1oz. bottles of Rem Oil. There was a guy on the EE a few months back selling boresnakes for $7.00, I got him down to $5.00 for 10 of them.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top