This^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had you just destroyed the DIAS .... an O/A Welding Torch would have done the job .... and kept the firearm intact would it have still been legal.

Are the M16 FCG parts in a 1979 vintage AR legal today?

Technically NO. The only legal m16 part you can have is the BCG. There has been alot of grey area and flakyness on the part of the ATF on this issue.  And believe me it wasn't my call to make. And based off of what the ATF agent said it would NOT have been legal under " once a machine gun always a machine gun". Yes I realize there would have been no way of knowing but the risk just isn't worth the reward and we did the right thing. I got my fill of shooting FA in the military. Granted if it was able to be legally transferred I would have bought it up in a heart beat but it wasn't.

No, no, and no.  You destroyed a perfectly legal rifle for absolutely no reason.  Pull the FCG and DIAS, install Colt semi auto parts, and you're done.  ATF confirmed it wasn't on the registry, which means someone put full auto FCG and DIAS in a semi auto.  There is no auto sear pin hole.

This was a perfectly legal SP-1 in correct configuration with a mere FCG change.  It was never a machinegun. No serial number posted on fb, no case.

This^^

Im not an ARFCOM millionaire. I don't have the time or money to battle the ATF over a $1,200 rifle. Hell I am sure I would easily pay double that in Lawyers fees just to get one on retainer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Throw away the drop in auto sear if it wasn't serialized or registered.  And that's it!  Nothing else on that rifle is illegal, just the DIAS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
it's a sad deal, but it's a done deal.
it wasn't the OP's call, he didn't do anything.
could it have been handled differently? sure.
but at the end of the day no one went to jail, no one got into trouble, move on to the next adventure.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a cautionary tale of how to give away a gun to the ATF when it could have been totally legal to keep if the DIAS had been ditched.

At least that's how I see it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a cautionary tale of how to give away a gun to the ATF when it could have been totally legal to keep if the DIAS had been ditched.

At least that's how I see it.
View Quote

Potentially. Depends if the rdias came with it. If unkle added it, then yeah. If it came with the dias, which i agree sounds unlikely, but if it did, then it would be once a mg always an mg. id call the atf back and tell tem you think you were given incorrect info, you want a determination and your semi only gun back. Worth a call....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, according to BATFE when I checked as an LEO for another similar case, the Auto Sear was the machine gun. Since the SP1 was never registered as a conversion, and the SP1 was still factory configuration, the auto sear could have been turned in, and a semi auto FCG put in it.  Actually, there isn't even a law against having a full auto FCG in a semi, as long as it has no auto sear or drop in in it.  Most of the M16A1 kits built up have Full AUto FCG on semi lowers. You ran into a FUD gun hater, who lied to you to get another evil gun off the street.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1. May we all have a moment of silence now, for this once fine SP1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel sick now.

+1. May we all have a moment of silence now, for this once fine SP1.

+1

I read the OP and threw up a little bit in my mouth. Reminds me of my mom, FA Uzi and Thompson left 'em with her shit bird ex husband during the divorce in '84-'85. I could have inherited two FA's if she'd thought about it at the time

God damn I hate the Hughes amendment
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top