Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2014 10:00:01 AM EDT
Armslist deal here. Bought several parts, this was in the box. Not sure how to tell what manufacturer. May use this as a XM style carbine build.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an A1 upper. It will work for a C7 build if it's in spec (DPMS "had" issues).

C7 builds:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_127/556146_Canadian_C7_thread___.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I might be incorrect, but the XM carbine is probably one of the only configurations that style upper was "not"used on.

Edit: I forgot the critical "not" in that sentence
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might be incorrect, but the XM carbine is probably one of the only configurations that style upper was used on.
View Quote

only carbine to use the "C7" that I know of

723 with A2 profile barrel and M203 cut
Commonly referred to as a M16A2 Carbine, slang as "CAR-15" or "M4", 8 million serial number range, 1987-?:
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My first AR was a 16" heavy barrel with that upper rec. Probably and airsoft stock.  No flash hider either. spray painted camo too..

I shot the hell out targets and didn't know the different.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My first AR was a 16" heavy barrel with that upper rec. Probably and airsoft stock.  No flash hider either. spray painted camo too..

I shot the hell out targets and didn't know the different.
View Quote

You've really come along way since then.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
That upper receiver is an A2 upper. Upper Receiver M16A2-Field Sight, not to be confused with the more well known Upper Receiver M16A2 -Target Sight
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/Govt%20Carbines/variation%20guide/upperassy11.jpg
Commonly referred to as a M16A2 Carbine, slang as "CAR-15" or "M4", 8 million serial number range, 1987-?:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I might be incorrect, but the XM carbine is probably one of the only configurations that style upper was used on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/Govt%20Carbines/variation%20guide/upperassy11.jpg

733 too.  Two of my favorites.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
IDF build !!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God that thing is so beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have all the parts to build that upper except for the receiver, which can be had off the EE right now for $100.00. I've been trying to get you to build a KISS Carbine for a while now, well this would be a perfect start/intro to retro builds for you. Sell off all the tacticool parts on that spare M4 upper you have, build a 723 and you will still have money in your pocket when your done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You have all the parts to build that upper except for the receiver, which can be had off the EE right now for $100.00. I've been trying to get you to build a KISS Carbine for a while now, well this would be a perfect start/intro to retro builds for you. Sell off all the tacticool parts on that spare M4 upper you have, build a 723 and you will still have money in your pocket when your done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to get another lower first, id need the barrel too. I have an A2 upper but no C7 upper unfortunately. I think I will end up building that exact rifle tho its too purdy not to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like a large front pin?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does anyone know what  front sight base would have been installed, A1 or A2?

Edit to say never mind.... Dumb question
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I need to get another lower first, id need the barrel too. I have an A2 upper but no C7 upper unfortunately. I think I will end up building that exact rifle tho its too purdy not to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Upper of yours has a M4 barrel right? If so thats the same barrel as that upper, you have that CAR stock to use, I can hook you up with a Colt CH, you'd need a Colt BCG, those are cheap right now...I see them anywhere from $100-$150.00 based on condition, I may even have spare MPC bolts to lighten your costs, you will have another LPK soon when I trade you one for those HGs, You can find A1/A2 FH's in the PIF threads(A2 is the correct FH), so all you need to buy is a cheap A2 lower, (Brownells is selling Bushy's for $50.00) a Colt BCG, and a cheap set of 6 hole RRA CAR HG's. You can build a 723 clone for under $400.00 with the parts you already have/will have.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]

That Upper of yours has a M4 barrel right? If so thats the same barrel as that upper, you have that CAR stock to use, I can hook you up with a Colt CH, you'd need a Colt BCG, those are cheap right now...I see them anywhere from $100-$150.00 based on condition, I may even have spare MPC bolts to lighten your costs, you will have another LPK soon when I trade you one for those HGs, You can find A1/A2 FH's in the PIF threads(A2 is the correct FH), so all you need to buy is a cheap A2 lower, (Brownells is selling Bushy's for $50.00) a Colt BCG, and a cheap set of 6 hole RRA CAR HG's. You can build a 723 clone for under $400.00 with the parts you already have/will have.
View Quote

The A2 upper is barrel-less, but my other other m4 upper is fully built and has been flawless for a thousand rounds so I dont want to rip it apart. When I do this im just gonna buy a c7 upper as well as either a 14.5 or 16" barrel. Prob 14.5 w/ A2X
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The A2 upper is barrel-less, but my other other m4 upper is fully built and has been flawless for a thousand rounds so I dont want to rip it apart. When I do this im just gonna buy a c7 upper as well as either a 14.5 or 16" barrel. Prob 14.5 w/ A2X
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Go the 14.5 M4 barrel route with pinned A2X, C7 upper, CAR stock, one of Brownells $50.00 Bushmaster lowers, and build an early 727.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the CNC warrior spacer, pinned with a regular A2 FH, myself - I think it looks better overall. John Thomas did a great job. Close as you can get IMO.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Morg, that does look very natural, I might just order 3-4 of those to justify shipping fees.Where did you find the gray delta ring? I've been looking for 2 for well over a year with no luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Morg, that does look very natural, I might just order 3-4 of those to justify shipping fees.Where did you find the gray delta ring? I've been looking for 2 for well over a year with no luck.
View Quote

I had it on the shelf. Bought it a couple years ago off the EE I think. Grey Deltas are pretty rare, so I snatched it up. If I had the same problem, I'd probably just use grey rustoleum and bake it on the roof for awhile. I really dig how the spacer looks. For $4.99 it's ideal I think. Check out the 1st pic of the 1st carbine on the 1st page of the IDF/Kiss thread for a better idea of how it looks. Best option for a 14.5" IMO. I think it would work with a pinned Nt4 for suppressed work but I'm not absolutely sure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Quoted:
View Quote

Originally Posted by Morg308
I had it on the shelf. Bought it a couple years ago off the EE I think. Grey Deltas are pretty rare, so I snatched it up. If I had the same problem, I'd probably just use grey rustoleum and bake it on the roof for awhile. I really dig how the spacer looks. For $4.99 it's ideal I think. Check out the 1st pic of the 1st carbine on the 1st page of the IDF/Kiss thread for a better idea of how it looks. Best option for a 14.5" IMO. I think it would work with a pinned Nt4 for suppressed work but I'm not absolutely sure.

I just spoke with Dan from Blue Panda Cerakoting, I'm gonna send him 6 Delta rings to have redone light gray, I'll prolly use 2 and keep 1 for a future build and sell the rest to cover the cost to get them Cerakoted.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That upper receiver is an A2 upper. Upper Receiver M16A2-Field Sight, not to be confused with the more well known Upper Receiver M16A2 -Target Sight
View Quote

I was going to post the same thing. I have a Colt manual thatshoshows a commando with that upper also.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top