Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 10:19:02 PM EDT
Hello everybody I'm new  to the forum... This is actually my first AR15 and i really don't know  anything about it... Was always into AK's...He said it was old school and he bought it along time ago... So I got to see it and the hand guards caught my attention from the Vietnam movies and i always liked retro stuff and it looked new... So I bought it...

Bipod i put for pics...He said he shot around 500rds through it and his eyesight got bad years ago so he put on this rail and red dot...  Also he said the thing on the bottom of the grip was an aftermarket add on many years ago to cover the hole and kinda like a backstrap...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/20140929_215543_zpsaee577f5.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/20140929_215645_zpsc095dc7b.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/20140929_230803_zps41964218.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/20140929_230821_zps6f9f9486.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/20140929_231009_zps833b39cb.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pureformbonsai/20140929_232109_zps288b7955.jpg
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
it's a 1977 SP1.  looks factory from the pics.  at $600, you stole it.  it's worth $1000-$1100.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You've done well! (rightfully could have paid $400 - $500 more and still have gotten a good-to-you deal).

Could you tell use the code on the muzzle end of the barrel?   Does it say anything like C MP CHROME BORE, or C MP C, or even just the number 12?

If you take the screw out of the front pivot pin, is the hole in the upper .250" or is it larger like the receiver?

Under the sight wheel on the ejection port side of the upper, are there any letters like C K, or is it blank?

Can you post a picture of the bottom left corner of the dust cover where the upper meets the lower?

Along those lines, could you take a close up picture of the area to the top right of the dust cover?  There may be some faint stampings in the metal.

I slightly suspect that the upper may not be original SP 1, but looks could be an old military upper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Found where to zoom in the picture.  Don't see a C K, see proof marks, and the forging lines don't line up on the bottom left of the port door.  If you could answer the questions above we can pin this upper down as to what it is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
That stick is a piece of crap, why don't you let me take if off your hands for what you paid that way you get your money back

That is an awesome deal you got... I think you actually posted it to show off for your first post!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
OP I think you should take that rail/red dot off. I don't know what this SP1 deserved for the previous owner to disrespect it like that, but it has a good home now so do her right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is the pics you guys asked for...

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Some guys have all the luck.

...nice find OP.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...nice find OP.
View Quote

Riley nailed it!  Since you got such a good deal on your SP1, that's more of a reason to spring for a Colt 4x20 scope for her
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

...nice find OP.
View Quote

Very Nice Score OP! I'm looking for a 1970's factory SP1 for my brother at the moment, I'd love it if someone walked up to me with that gun and basically said make me an offer. You got that gun at half price, the gunshop was trying to pay the typical 40% value so they have room to double their money if someone tried to haggle their pice down a little, let them haggle $50 off the price to keep them happy thinking they won the negociation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#10]

I stand corrected.

Correct SP1 it is.  Got thrown off by the bottom left of the dust cover door.

Just double check that the pivot pin hole on the upper isn't .250"?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...nice find OP.
View Quote

For sure....I've been in the market for an SP1 almost 8 months now & I can not find a rifle in that condition for under $1200-$1400
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice rifle, all appears correct for 1977 SP1 other than the items you mention, grip thing, bipod and rail sight.

You are this week's winner in the Best Buy category
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  OP I think you should take that rail/red dot off. I don't know what this SP1 deserved for the previous owner to disrespect it like that, but it has a good home now so do her right.
View Quote

Young punks w/ their perfect eyeballs showin' off.    If you like it, leave it on, OP.  Perfectly useful addition to irons.  Nice gat, and you owe your buddy a really nice steak dinner.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Really nice steak dinner.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Young punks w/ their perfect eyeballs showin' off.    If you like it, leave it on, OP.  Perfectly useful addition to irons.  Nice gat, and you owe your buddy a really nice steak dinner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OP I think you should take that rail/red dot off. I don't know what this SP1 deserved for the previous owner to disrespect it like that, but it has a good home now so do her right.

Them are fightin words gramps. You're lucky I happen to like you
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the forum and that is a great deal. That is an excellent first post too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd respond to your post if I could see what you wrote.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao. I said PUT YOUR READING GLASSES ON PLEASE
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish I could come across something like that just one time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would put them on if I could remember where I put them.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#21]
EXCELLENT!!! You did extremely well!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for sharing.  Very nice condition.  Shows deals are still out there.  That's what buddies do or used to do.  Welcome to retroland.  Should shoot great wiyth only 500 or so down the pipe.  You might not be so fond of the AK's after you give that one a spin around the block or ahould I say a few blocks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Well done, excellent catch!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks everybody
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]

WOW, Just WOW, you did OUTSTANDING.  That is a beautiful early SP1 you have there.  I wish I could get a deal like that on an SP1.

If you want, I'll take it off your hands, and Ill even give you a little more then you paid, you know, just for your inconvenience.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice buy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
sweet.

I had a early SP1 and sold it after Gov Florio signed the NJ AWB. Original box, three original Colt 30 rounders, Original bayonet and Colt 4x scope.

Fucking Florio. Fuck that guy  
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
sweet.

I had a early SP1 and sold it after Gov Florio signed the NJ AWB. Original box, three original Colt 30 rounders, Original bayonet and Colt 4x scope.

Fucking Florio. Fuck that guy  
View Quote

Sorry Bro. You didn't know anyone living in America you could send it off to?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top