Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2014 11:33:09 PM EDT
So we know that the early bipods used E-Clips to hold the bipod pivot pin in place instead of the rivets.

I believe the Colt/Armalite bipods came with E-Clips on both sides and on one side with a larger head on the other.  

The Colt marked ones came with E-Clips on one side or the rivets.

Question is that I came across an unmarked one w/ E-Clips on both sides.  

Anyone know anything about this one?  It's parkerized in a light grey and the construction looks just like the other ones.  I don't think there were any changes other than the stampings and pivot pin btw early and later clamp on style bipods.

E-Clip side (unmarked, Colt/Armalite, Colt)

E-Clip side (unmarked, Colt/Armalite, Colt)

Opposite side (unmarked, Colt/Armalite, Colt)

Heads (unmarked, Colt/Armalite, Colt)

other pics info in these other threads
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=558614
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=570011
http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=577410
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
With all of them being early examples, I'd think the middle is the oldest, followed by the right hand side bipod, then the bipod on the left. I'm not an expert by any means but it seems logical.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
where can we get one?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#3]
boywonder777 I just took two bipods out of my equipment cabinet to see what I had, one is riveted, no C clips and unmarked, number two is exactly like yours with two C clips and no markings and in overall excellent shape with no rust. An Ebay purchase from 5-10 years ago for my early ArmaLite Costa Mesa AR180. Earlier this year I purchased a bipod case and correct cleaning rod with the long cleaning rod pouch on the front, I believe it's the M16E1 version that ArmaLite also used for the AR18 and later AR180. As for a AR18/180 bipod I'll have to recheck my original AR18 owners manual that as I remember listed the bipod with just the serial # 62122 but ArmaLite could of switched to another bipod for the AR180 when they exhausted the 62122. Much like Colt/ArmaLite, Colt, early Costa Mesa ArmaLite AR18/180 items/info it's not easy to verify all the possible variations. As a couple others have mentioned the unmarked two C clip bipod seems to make sense that it was a very early model and the C clip design was less than ideal under heavy use. For those not aware ArmaLite intended to use many of the M16 accessories on the AR18 if it was adopted by the US military. As for some items being unmarked it's possible this was done for deniability purposes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Think Kobren hit it.  Probably assembled from unstamped items from sub contractor dead stock purchased or stashed by Armalite if actually from a reliable source.   It's basically identical to the early Armalite / Colt less the stampings.  If Armalite they probably wouldn't have had the Armalite / Colt stamping due to infringements / competition but early parts could easily have been available to them.  Think I'd check Armalite info sites to see if anyone else who has the original accessories has something identical or similar.  Same as Colt using obsolete milspec pieces in AF contract and civillian market weapons that don't fit in the timeline but we know are authentic and original.  

Could also have been simply assembled by a civillian / employee who had access to the pieces and parts but I would think stampings occured before finish was added.  Mine are coated over the stamping but again all may not have been mfg this way.  Too few original examples in existence to really say all were this way or that.

Regardless of the possibilities it's pretty cool.  Don't know about value or ever securring provenance as without the stampings it's probably not USGI.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
boywonder777 I just took two bipods out of my equipment cabinet to see what I had, one is riveted, no C clips and unmarked, number two is exactly like yours with two C clips and no markings and in overall excellent shape with no rust. An Ebay purchase from 5-10 years ago for my early ArmaLite Costa Mesa AR180. Earlier this year I purchased a bipod case and correct cleaning rod with the long cleaning rod pouch on the front, I believe it's the M16E1 version that ArmaLite also used for the AR18 and later AR180. As for a AR18/180 bipod I'll have to recheck my original AR18 owners manual that as I remember listed the bipod with just the serial # 62122 but ArmaLite could of switched to another bipod for the AR180 when they exhausted the 62122. Much like Colt/ArmaLite, Colt, early Costa Mesa ArmaLite AR18/180 items/info it's not easy to verify all the possible variations. As a couple others have mentioned the unmarked two C clip bipod seems to make sense that it was a very early model and the C clip design was less than ideal under heavy use. For those not aware ArmaLite intended to use many of the M16 accessories on the AR18 if it was adopted by the US military. As for some items being unmarked it's possible this was done for deniability purposes.
View Quote

thanks.  i thought from a timeline perspective it would have been strange to have a

colt armalite w/ 2 clips and 1 clip
colt with one clip and rivet
unmarked with 2 clips

basically going back to an earlier hardware that had already been updated

i'd be interested in seeing a bidpod with just the 62122 serial though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Just like to update, I checked my original ArmaLite Costa Mesa CA AR18 manual, not a copy, also I have two AR18 early original brochures. From the AR18 manual listed under accessories there is an illustration of a bipod that appears to be riveted but only shows one side with no markings that I could see. One of the AR18 broshures has a photo with the bipod and the bipod appears to be riveted and showing only one side with no noticeable markings. I was mistaken the AR18 part number in the manual for the bipod is 2773-5. The two other accessories the bayonet/sheath and bipod case and cleaning rod with tools also use similar ArmaLite accessory part numbers. Everything appears to be very similar to USGI spec items of the same period. If you think Colt-ArmaLite and early Colt are difficult just try finding and documenting the 1960s ArmaLite AR18/180 story. An excellent source of ArmaLite info is Pete Fleis in St Louis MO, I have spoken with him on a number of occasions, Pete has a lot of ArmaLite documentation including purchase orders. I have an open invitation to go thru the files but residing in MA I'm not exactly  around the corner and hopefully some day I can get to St Louis and see what I can find. Most of my items were purchased years ago when they were more available before the "retro" game started.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just like to update, I checked my original ArmaLite Costa Mesa CA AR18 manual, not a copy, also I have two AR18 early original brochures. From the AR18 manual listed under accessories there is an illustration of a bipod that appears to be riveted but only shows one side with no markings that I could see. One of the AR18 broshures has a photo with the bipod and the bipod appears to be riveted and showing only one side with no noticeable markings. I was mistaken the AR18 part number in the manual for the bipod is 2773-5. The two other accessories the bayonet/sheath and bipod case and cleaning rod with tools also use similar ArmaLite accessory part numbers. Everything appears to be very similar to USGI spec items of the same period. If you think Colt-ArmaLite and early Colt are difficult just try finding and documenting the 1960s ArmaLite AR18/180 story. An excellent source of ArmaLite info is Pete Fleis in St Louis MO, I have spoken with him on a number of occasions, Pete has a lot of ArmaLite documentation including purchase orders. I have an open invitation to go thru the files but residing in MA I'm not exactly  around the corner and hopefully some day I can get to St Louis and see what I can find. Most of my items were purchased years ago when they were more available before the "retro" game started.
View Quote

thanks for checking.  i've emailed with pete before, i'm glad he was able to get the remaining stock of parts when the AR-180 was discontinued.  he is a wealth of knowledge on the platform.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#9]
To answer another question re the bipod number I must of had one of my senior moments getting my manuals mixed up. I just checked my original AR-15 AF Manual 50-12 dated 30 Aug 63 and found an illustration, figure 1-5, of the AR-15 bipod, it isn't clear so I can't tell if it's riveted or C clipped or any markings. On page 5-9 under parts accessories lists the bipod assembly as part 62122. The manual notes that the accessories have not been adopted and are not available through normal distribution channels. Updates to follow when they are adopted. About the surest method of identifying items is to find them sealed in original packaging with identifying info on the wrapper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I dug a little deeper and came up with something interesting. Found in TM 9-1005-249-14 dated 15 June 1964 (changed 15 Nov 1964) Operation, Maintenance, Repair and Replacement Parts, Rifle, 5.56mm, M16 and rifle, 5.56mm, M16E1. The page shows the illustrations of the bipod, bayonet/scabbard, cleaning rod/accessories, bipod pouch and oil bottle. My ArmaLite AR18 manual has the exact same illustrations except for no oil bottle illustrated and lists ArmaLite part numbers. My guess is ArmaLite procured the same bipod from the same Colt subcontractor and the only difference is the ArmaLite bipods are unmarked. All the other AR18 accessories were off the shelf from military subcontractors and were interchangeable with the M16/M16E1. If there were any ArmaLite AR18 marked bipods I havn't seen one and I havn't seen any reports of anyone else finding one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dug a little deeper and came up with something interesting. Found in TM 9-1005-249-14 dated 15 June 1964 (changed 15 Nov 1964) Operation, Maintenance, Repair and Replacement Parts, Rifle, 5.56mm, M16 and rifle, 5.56mm, M16E1. The page shows the illustrations of the bipod, bayonet/scabbard, cleaning rod/accessories, bipod pouch and oil bottle. My ArmaLite AR18 manual has the exact same illustrations except for no oil bottle illustrated and lists ArmaLite part numbers. My guess is ArmaLite procured the same bipod from the same Colt subcontractor and the only difference is the ArmaLite bipods are unmarked. All the other AR18 accessories were off the shelf from military subcontractors and were interchangeable with the M16/M16E1. If there were any ArmaLite AR18 marked bipods I havn't seen one and I havn't seen any reports of anyone else finding one.
View Quote

given the history of the other AR18 parts being unmarked, then that's a very realistic theory since the only Armalite marked bipod is the 601 Colt/Armalite marked one.  what year is your Armalite AR18 manual?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Boywonder777 I checked my original AR18 manual and it isn't dated. I also checked the two AR18 broshure that would of been the same time period and they are undated. Also checked my numerous AR180 manuals covering all three mfgs, Costa Mesa/Howa/Sterling, and they are undated along with the scope manual. I also have parts/accessories price sheets from the Sterling era undated. The only dated material I could find was the Stering AR18 manual dated 1976. I'm able to differentiate the makers by the accessories listed and prices. I have copies of ArmaLite correspondence that was dated. On some of the material the ArmaLite phone number uses Liberty indicating to me early/mid 1960s, later phone number is all numeric. Let me add that if I had to estimate when my AR18 manual was printed based on the material in the photos/illustrations I'd date it 1964.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
check your e mail  Ruttgers95
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
a member sent me this link

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=31888

From Bill Ricca

The earliest version has two c clips and no markings. The bipod legs are slightly wider than the others.

The C clip designs were a problem as the clips always break lose. I have the one c clip version and it is loose. I am getting it repaired.

Another characteristic of Colt bipods is the rust. Where the welds were located, the ingredient they used to pre weld created a lot of rust because it was not cleaned off. I have seen the rust on probably 50% of all Colts I have inspected.

If I recall the earlier C clips were bright, not parkerized.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#15]
some good info in this thread too

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=558614

HHollow quoting willyp.  m1sniper saw that there were a few variants missing from that list as well.

I found a willyp post on gunboards...

...there's 6 "variants" id'd so far, in order of known appearance:
1) very early stamped Colt-Armalite w/C clip holding the bushing which keeps the legs together.
2) next is stamped Colt (w/o Armalite) w/the C clip.
3) next is stamped Colt (w/o Armalite) w/rivet holding the legs together (3 above have a Colt part# which begins w/2)
4) next is simply stamped w/the part# (same as #3) this may have been the first bipods the military contracted out on their own as opposed to supply by Colt
5) next is stamped w/a part # which begins w/5
6) there are also some bipods that have no stampings or numbers, these may be either repros or overruns from military contracts
View Quote
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top