Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Morg & OlGunner, I want to say thanks.  I did look into the links both of you provided, and this knife probably is from the '53-'57 Contract.

But, in my write-up of this knife, I did say the following:

I didn't want to claim something, that may not be true, because I cannot prove it's true history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Morg & OlGunner, I want to say thanks.  I did look into the links both of you provided, and this knife probably is from the '53-'57 Contract.

I guessing that this is the knife that he was discussing, but there were a couple of other knives in the box, but this is the only one that has the military look.

I didn't want to claim something, that may not be true, because I cannot prove it's true history.

It looks just like the MK1 on page 79 of Cole's book III but a similar knife on USMil forum is identified as a 50's AF model.

I don't know but that is one DEAD SEXY BLADE!

And don't sweat the prices TinMan. I paid it didn't I?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I realize there are a lot of manufacturers of WWII blades, but educate me--what makes this a Mk1? (Serious question--not an argument.)
Also, google MIL-k-8662(AER) (the Shrade-Walden pilot's knife, 1953-57) and tell me how the knife above is different from those.

At any rate, if the online histories of Schrade are right, Imperial didn't buy Schrade and form "Schrade-Walden" until 1946, so I doubt the Chief's Great-Great-Uncle tucked this one away in 1944.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After my Aunt pasted-away, I went thru the storage lockers she had with my Family, and came upon this Knife, which according to some of the notes found with it, it was one of 2 such knifes

that my Great-Great Uncle had issued to him before going to England in '44.  He figured that he only needed one, so he asked my Grandfather to hold onto it for him.  It appears to be Brand New.

even the stacked leather washers are still rough.  I guessing that this is the knife that he was discussing, but there were a couple of other knives in the box, but this is the only one that has the military look.

Here's the pic's

http://<a href=http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Knife_1_zps2a42e42d.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Knife_6_zpsae7d6d6e.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Knife_4_zps95e3894a.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Knife_3_zps18abf972.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Knife_2_zps28be4c6c.jpg</a>" />

That is a Mk1 - see my pic above. Never thought I'd actually see a NIB one! Different mfg is all - there were a LOT of variations. Google PALS knives and see what you find.

I realize there are a lot of manufacturers of WWII blades, but educate me--what makes this a Mk1? (Serious question--not an argument.)
Also, google MIL-k-8662(AER) (the Shrade-Walden pilot's knife, 1953-57) and tell me how the knife above is different from those.

At any rate, if the online histories of Schrade are right, Imperial didn't buy Schrade and form "Schrade-Walden" until 1946, so I doubt the Chief's Great-Great-Uncle tucked this one away in 1944.

By golly, I think you got me. My knife came in a repaired Mk1 sheath, and is not marked other than Kabar. Because of the blade size and shape, I always understood it to be a Mk1, but I believe you are right - it's likely an 8662 pilots knife! Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guessing that this is the knife that he was discussing, but there were a couple of other knives in the box, but this is the only one that has the military look.

Chief, I absolutely understood that and never, ever meant to suggest you were misrepresenting anything!  I had just never seen a Schrade-Walden WWII fighting knife so I did a little reading.
As you can tell, old blades can be even more of an ongoing education than retro ARs!  Morg is no slouch when it comes to knives like these (he's usually my go-to guy for info), so when he learns something new, it just reinforces how much I have to learn!

Bottom line here is you have a beautiful, old GI knife--and it's an heirloom.  That's hard to beat!

But the side effects of that bottom line...
--First, now I kinda want one. Unfortunately, the "good condition" ones on eBay aren't exactly cheap--and they're no where near as clean as yours.  (I'm sure you'll hang onto yours due to the family connection, but have a feeling serious collectors would love to get their hands on it!)
--And second, like I implied earlier--if this one isn't the extra knife your great-great-uncle left behind in 1944, then that one may still be hidden away somewhere, just waiting for you to discover it!
Collector quests have started with far weaker leads than that!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bottom line here is you have a beautiful, old GI knife--and it's an heirloom. That's hard to beat!

But the side effects of that bottom line...
--First, now I kinda want one. Unfortunately, the "good condition" ones on eBay aren't exactly cheap--and they're no where near as clean as yours. (I'm sure you'll hang onto yours due to the family connection, but have a feeling serious collectors would love to get their hands on it!)
--And second, like I implied earlier--if this one isn't the extra knife your great-great-uncle left behind in 1944, then that one may still be hidden away somewhere, just waiting for you to discover it!
Collector quests have started with far weaker leads than that!
View Quote

OlGunner, Thank you for that, and you are right, I'm not going to part with this Knife.  My oldest Son has already laid claim to it, and I agreed, as long as it always stay's in the family.
When I unwrapped this knife from the kraft paper it was in, all I could  do was smile, then I took those pic's.  It was a little latter that we started finding the notes about some gear he wanted to "store".
After my Father gets back from his vacation, I'll call and ask him if he has any knowledge of Uncle Edward's knives'.  I wasn't the only one going thru the boxes, but I did get all three of his Foot-Lockers.
I remember my Dad telling me that he seemed OK after WWII, but it was Korea that messed him up.  And after that all he wanted to do was play golf and stay at the Clubhouse.  He did not spend much
time with family after that, unless my Grandfather or Father asked him to come by.

ALSO, I glad that fellow members here can appreciate this Schrade-Walden Knife, and the Like New Condition that it's in.  If there are any pic's that you would want, just let me know and I'll provide.

Chief

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Cal30M1 -  Yes you did pay, and very promptly I will add...it's just that you said your wallet hated me...or something like that.  One of these days I'm going to post pics of my retro builds to include my Mk12 Mod 1 clones.  I do enjoy this forum.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Great story and beautiful knife! Thanks for sharing it with us, I love the stories behind some of the pieces that we collectors find. I always say "If this thing could talk, boy the stories it could tell". At least you have a story with your piece, and a good one at that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...glad that fellow members here can appreciate this Schrade-Walden Knife, and the Like New Condition that it's in.  If there are any pic's that you would want, just let me know and I'll provide.

Chief

View Quote

Well, since you're offering, could you post a full shot of the front of the sheath (the earlier shots cut off the end), and a shot of the pommel?  I'd like to see how it's peened.

And thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cal30M1 -  Yes you did pay, and very promptly I will add...it's just that you said your wallet hated me...or something like that.  One of these days I'm going to post pics of my retro builds to include my Mk12 Mod 1 clones.  I do enjoy this forum.
View Quote

Naw Bra! I just meant my wallet shouldn't be unassing money for gun fun! Price was fair or I wouldn't have bitten.

I've been wanting a BTDT scope because I'm a garbage man and I LOVE garbage! Battle field pick up builds just appeal to me.

Don't get me wrong I love me a pristine showroom finish peashooter too but a well used and abused weapon makes me all warm and squishy inside.

My 652 is pristine but everything else I have has that "fresh from Malaysia" finish that came out of the box!

Faux 607 Pistol

XM16E.75

XM16E1 (My FIRST build and I had to sell her. I miss her SO much!)

More pics of more blades! Everyone join in! WWII blades! KW blades! VN blades! (No Randall's though I hate them!)
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, since you're offering, could you post a full shot of the front of the sheath (the earlier shots cut off the end), and a shot of the pommel? I'd like to see how it's peened.
View Quote

I'm sorry for the delay in these pic's.  But I hope these show what your looking for.

" />
" />
" />
" />

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top