Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2014 11:13:11 PM EDT
Since I live in Illinois, I can't legally own a real suppressor.  But, I like the novelty and looks of them.  I'm interested in making a replica (non-functional) of the HEL E4A suppressor as used on the M16, as seen in the photo below.  It seems like it would be easy enough to replicate, and in aluminum it would not be too heavy.  I think it would make a neat display item.  What do you guys think?

I recently did some work for someone on his S&W Hush Puppy project (pictured below, with his permission).  I made the fake suppressor (it's just one-piece, solid aluminum with a hole bored through it, then contoured to appear as if it has knurled end caps).  I also tig welded up the top of the slide then re-milled that area to accept the rear sight protector, modified the rear sight to work within the protector, made and installed the high front sight, and refinished everything.  It turned out pretty neat.  He's waiting on a longer barrel to thread, and someone else is working on making a replica slide lock.

Finally, I'm sure many of you guys have seen my .22 HDM OSS replica pistol that I made a few years ago.  Again, the suppressor is a replica, made from aluminum, but I think it makes for a neat looking pistol.

John Thomas

HEL E4A (photo from google):

S&W "Hush Puppy" replica:

HDM replica (there is a front sight on the fake suppressor, you just can't see it due to the camera angle):

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
As always, nice work John !
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool .
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice work.  That Hushpuppy is incredible.  Hope we see the finished product! :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have wanted an H4 replica or several years! LMK if you produce any. I spoke to my FFL about building me a functional replica years ago, but the coin just hasn't been there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
John, can the can not be hollow?  I know it has to have an inner sleeve if around the bbl, but surely it doesn't have to be solid aluminum?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
John, can the can not be hollow?  I know it has to have an inner sleeve if around the bbl, but surely it doesn't have to be solid aluminum?
View Quote

ATI went through this with their GSG (MP5 clone) that had a hollow shroud.  ATF made them recall them all.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_41/305635_ATI___ATF_SD_Fake_Suppressor_Update.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]
John Thomas

Nice work...........really 1st Class.

I have handled the S&W Hush Puppy and HDMS in real life and your replicas are first rate....

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ATI went through this with their GSG (MP5 clone) that had a hollow shroud.  ATF made them recall them all.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_41/305635_ATI___ATF_SD_Fake_Suppressor_Update.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly... and I'm not willing to take any chances... it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#9]
John Thomas,

You need to get the appropriate federal licenses to manufacture these things.  Beautiful work.

David
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
grr making me want a fake sionics for my 656 now but then i don't think it would fit in my safe!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
JT, that is some sweet craftsmanship.  I am really digging the OSS pea shooter.  That was a wicked looking weapon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
John,  Are you planning on milling out the slot for the slide lock on the M39?  I've been searching for a spare M39 (or spare M39 slide) for quite a while with this very project in mind.  Beautiful work as always.

ka
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nicely done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
John Thomas,

You need the Navy issue water proof kit for your project :)

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/Miltech1/HPIM3030_zpsbc5e801a.jpg

Yellow circle is the polymer water prroing plug for the suppressor, when mounted to the pistol, and the chamber plug with O ring is obvious.  Not obvious, but the muzle cap of the Navy Issue suppressor is counter sunk to allow the sealing cap to prevent water from getting into the locked pistol with suppressor attached.  There is a rim machined into the muzzle to allow the raised edge of the sealing plug to stay put until a round is fired and the pressure of the fired round blows the cap out of the suppressor as it heads on its way.  If the swimmer has fired all the rounds he needs, he can recap the suppressor and lock another o ring caseinto the chamber and go on his way underwater, or just swim away and let the pistol and suppressor submerge normally.   Rounds are IVI issue rounds from the Vietnam issue suppressor kit for the Mk 22 Mod 0.  Was going to sell a set with a spare S&W slide to fund another project, but now having second thoughts............

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/Miltech1/HPIM3029_zpse5014ea1.jpg

Thimble looking gizmo is a rubber waterproof cap with inside designed to engage the threads on the suppressed barrel when the suppressor is not mounted.

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/Miltech1/hushpuppy2_zps35f1fc1a.jpg

Whole kit and kaboodle, as shown in the old Small Arms of the World.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
VERY cool, OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I want details on the carbine in your avitar.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want details on the carbine in your avitar.
View Quote

Here you go:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=624264

John Thomas
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#18]
JT,

Sounds like a great project! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. As for the Illinois thing, don't forget to "Rock The Vote" this fall...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I always preferred the earlier Navy Blast Diffuser.  Kind of rare, but if I was going to have a feaux unit done, it would be unique.  Noting against the HEL series.................

This is one and a cross section from the Navy SEAL UDT Museum down at Ft Pierce, FL

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y421/Miltech1/SEAL-Museum-02_zps195b2f44.jpg
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]

I feel like if you do it properly some of the Ops Inc or Allen Engineering models could help you closely replicate this look. If I get an AEM5 here at some point I'm planning some "retro" type builds along those lines. A 12.5" or so barrel could look like a 10" shorty with the can right at the FSB depending on AEM mount/can, and an 18" rifle could do similarly as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I feel like if you do it properly some of the Ops Inc or Allen Engineering models could help you closely replicate this look. If I get an AEM5 here at some point I'm planning some "retro" type builds along those lines. A 12.5" or so barrel could look like a 10" shorty with the can right at the FSB depending on AEM mount/can, and an 18" rifle could do similarly as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

look over in the Somalia/BHD thread, few pic of rifles like that...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top