Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool. Just don't fuck up a piece of history to do it - that's all I'm saying. Current production C7's are a go as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that an M4 ramped barrel in a rifle upper should be fine, but I've kind of been shy about having that combo again after I had an A1 upper with an M4 ramped barrel that did have feeding issues. I think there might have been something else going on in that case and I never really figured it out since I sold that rifle to fund another purchase, but since then I'd just be happier having the feed ramp types match.

Cool. Just don't fuck up a piece of history to do it - that's all I'm saying. Current production C7's are a go as far as I'm concerned.

I totally agree with Morg, I'm currently cutting down a C MP C barrel for a 605 but previous owner's name was bubba from Mass. He sloppily ground down the bayonet lug and it appears he welded on a Cav Arms Muzzle Brake with an acetelene torch used for plumbing, lol. he F'd up the barrel pretty good, so turning it into a 605 is a blessing in my opinion and will look like a Monet painting after JT graces it with his talents.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I totally agree with Morg, I'm currently cutting down a C MP C barrel for a 605 but previous owner's name was bubba from Mass. He sloppily ground down the bayonet lug and it appears he welded on a Cav Arms Muzzle Brake with an acetelene torch used for plumbing, lol. he F'd up the barrel pretty good, so turning it into a 605 is a blessing in my opinion and will look like a Monet painting after JT graces it with his talents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that an M4 ramped barrel in a rifle upper should be fine, but I've kind of been shy about having that combo again after I had an A1 upper with an M4 ramped barrel that did have feeding issues. I think there might have been something else going on in that case and I never really figured it out since I sold that rifle to fund another purchase, but since then I'd just be happier having the feed ramp types match.

I did the same thing with a rusty chrome bore marked barrel. When I got the late 604 upper, the area forward of the FSB was incredibly pitted, and the front sight post rusted in place. I got the post loose, then sent it to Heatnbeat along with a new slipring and HG cap and a 601 repro three prong, and now it's the best shooting of all my ARs. Incredible weapon.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I did the same thing with a rusty chrome bore marked barrel. When I got the late 604 upper, the area forward of the FSB was incredibly pitted, and the front sight post rusted in place. I got the post loose, then sent it to Heatnbeat along with a new slipring and HG cap and a 601 repro three prong, and now it's the best shooting of all my ARs. Incredible weapon.

<a href="http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Morg308/media/605_zps66127c2d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/Morg308/605_zps66127c2d.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Morg308/media/605_zps66127c2d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/Morg308/605_zps66127c2d.jpg</a>

Morg you look like a Soldier of Fortune in that picture.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice terrain in Sedona
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what conflict is that ?  

AZ, Nice place to be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]

The 605 is my next project.  I like the way they look, Badass !!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

AZ, Nice place to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AZ, Nice place to be.

DPMS contracted him to snuff me out for hating on them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AZ, Nice place to be.

LMAO
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Dangit!
How long are they going to be available, and at that price?
I need one, but can't afford it right now!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DPMS, I changed the title so newcomers see that these are later C7 style uppers.
View Quote

Back in the day before there was a C7 those uppers were known as A1E1.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LMAO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AZ, Nice place to be.

LMAO

I don't do that anymore. I am only accepting contracts on ISIS operatives at present... Also, I really need a dump pouch! Been meaning to buy one, but ended up using my canteen pouch as it was a casual day with no drills. Just putting holes in things. I was going to go out again today, but it didn't work out. Maybe next weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:02:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm using a sling setup like yours on my 605 so I'm having JT smooth my FSB, lop off the rest of the bubba'd bayo lug and remve the ears for the front swivel, I figure it's just gonna hang there looking stupid so why not cut it off and toss the swivel in my parts bin. I think it will make the front look very smooth.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm using a sling setup like yours on my 605 so I'm having JT smooth my FSB, lop off the rest of the bubba'd bayo lug and remve the ears for the front swivel, I figure it's just gonna hang there looking stupid so why not cut it off and toss the swivel in my parts bin. I think it will make the front look very smooth.....
View Quote

Funny, but I'm actually going to add a.625 side sling swivel setup and tie the sling to that. It takes a lot of heat to melt 550, but I want to try the side swivel. I simply cannot recommend this sling too much to carbine owners - especially fixed stock carbine owners. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Fast but comfy, no adjustment for user once it's setup for them, cheap and easy to procure and set up. Fantastic in transitions and for climbing. What's not to like?

Personally I would not have him remove the sling swivel ears. You don't have to mount it, but if you ever change your mind, you're screwed. Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Funny, but I'm actually going to add a.625 side sling swivel setup and tie the sling to that. It takes a lot of heat to melt 550, but I want to try the side swivel. I simply cannot recommend this sling too much to carbine owners - especially fixed stock carbine owners. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Fast but comfy, no adjustment for user once it's setup for them, cheap and easy to procure and set up. Fantastic in transitions and for climbing. What's not to like?

Personally I would not have him remove the sling swivel ears. You don't have to mount it, but if you ever change your mind, you're screwed. Just my .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'll just uninstall the sling swivel, that way I could always reinstall it with a rollpin. I have a Colt side sling barrel mount for lightweight barrels, I'll let you be the test subject and I'll be the guy with helmet, goggles, and white labcoat.... writing down information on a yellow legal pad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay, so I'm seriously considering foing on one of these, but can anybody help a n00b out?  

I figure, if I get free shipping, I might as well get the sight parts and a teardrop FA while I'm ordering...  but I can't quite figure out what parts I need for the sight.  I found an A1 kit at Midway, but I'm not sure all those parts are on DPMS' website right now.  Am I missing something, or getting caught up in A1 vs. A2, or just an idiot?  (Yeah, I know, probably the last one, but still...   )
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Morg you look like a Soldier of MisFortune in that picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't know why there is all the hate on DPMS. I have used approx. 10 DPMS LPKs and numerious DPMS uppers, BCGs, CHs, barrels, so on. Never had a problem...at all! I really wish I could buy 1 or 2 of those uppers, but kinda tapped out ATM. Just bought an A3 upper with carry handle for a build when I really wanted A1.

Question to DPMS: Are you discontinueing these? If so=

Q2: I have seen, in a Colt armorers manual, an upper like this refered to as an "A2 with field sight". Has anyone else ever heard of this nomenclature?

My perfect set up would be an upper like this with an A2 appertureand an A1 front sight post.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't know why there is all the hate on DPMS. I have used approx. 10 DPMS LPKs and numerious DPMS uppers, BCGs, CHs, barrels, so on. Never had a problem...at all! I really wish I could buy 1 or 2 of those uppers, but kinda tapped out ATM. Just bought an A3 upper with carry handle for a build when I really wanted A1.

Question to DPMS: Are you discontinueing these? If so=

Q2: I have seen, in a Colt armorers manual, an upper like this refered to as an "A2 with field sight". Has anyone else ever heard of this nomenclature?

My perfect set up would be an upper like this with an A2 appertureand an A1 front sight post.
View Quote

It's not the parts, it's the policies and service for me.

The implication from the CS rep that the only reason someone who wasn't police or military would want a shorter than 16" barrel was for nefarious purposes and that it was always illegal for said person to own such.  When I pointed out that an SBR is just a tax stamp away and there's no minimum legal length for a pistol build they reverted to, "it's our policy."  When I suggested that they should amend that policy it was back to the implication that I was a criminal of some sort for wanting one and their policy was not to sell them unless there was department letterhead involved.

We're better off without companies who feel this way about us so they don't get my money and I discourage anyone else from spending their money there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okay, so I'm seriously considering foing on one of these, but can anybody help a n00b out?  

I figure, if I get free shipping, I might as well get the sight parts and a teardrop FA while I'm ordering...  but I can't quite figure out what parts I need for the sight.  I found an A1 kit at Midway, but I'm not sure all those parts are on DPMS' website right now.  Am I missing something, or getting caught up in A1 vs. A2, or just an idiot?  (Yeah, I know, probably the last one, but still...   )
View Quote

These appear to be in stock
A1 rear sight kit
Teardrop forward assist assembly
Beyond that, you'll need a dustcover assembly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A1 rear sight kit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A1 rear sight kit

Damn, I ordered an upper but couldn't find this. Why would they put it under sight tools?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A1 rear sight kit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A1 rear sight kit

Thanks, I thought it was odd that Midway had a full kit but it wasn't on DPMS' site, but I couldn't find it...

Quoted:
Damn, I ordered an upper but couldn't find this. Why would they put it under sight tools?

And that's why I couldn't find it.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya!  
View Quote

Definitely closer to the truth!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
My C7 upper showed up today. Looks good and I tried two different charging handles without any issues.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#26]
My C7 upper should be here tomorrow according to the tracking number.  After I had ordered the upper, I found the listing for the sights at the DPMS site, and asked for a order modification and DPMS said no way (it was only an hour after I had placed the order for the upper), so I decided to go somewhere else for the sight kit. I found  the rear sight kit, tear drop FA, and dust cover assembly over at JSE surplus.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Well got mine today, but some other parts in the order were missing and I got other parts I didn't order, I tried to use the "contact us" on their site, after typing a long message it said I entered the wrong security code GRRRRR! (lost all that I typed) Going to call tommarow. Get to find out about DPMSs CS that I keep hearing about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well got mine today, but some other parts in the order were missing and I got other parts I didn't order, I tried to use the "contact us" on their site, after typing a long message it said I entered the wrong security code GRRRRR! (lost all that I typed) Going to call tommarow. Get to find out about DPMSs CS that I keep hearing about.
View Quote

Sounds like the typical BS I went through on a few orders, and the CS is a joke. I don't know try calling back next month was their favorite response with me. 13 months to get my barrel from these fools.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like the typical BS I went through on a few orders, and the CS is a joke. I don't know try calling back next month was their favorite response with me. 13 months to get my barrel from these fools.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got off the phone. On hold about 7 minutes before CS picked up. They said they'll send out the parts I ordered and I can just toss the wrong parts they sent me. I'll update when I get the parts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just got off the phone. On hold about 7 minutes before CS picked up. They said they'll send out the parts I ordered and I can just toss the wrong parts they sent me. I'll update when I get the parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad you had a better experience than I did.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I also notice something odd with these uppers. The sight wings, the sides of the carry handle sight channel, the right side is obviuosly thinner than the left side. I'll update another day when I measure with a caliper. I got 2 uppers, one looks thinner than the other. I'm sure it's useable, but I suppose more fragile? Were these blem uppers, is that why they were being sold cheap?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I also notice something odd with these uppers. The sight wings, the sides of the carry handle sight channel, the right side is obviuosly thinner than the left side. I'll update another day when I measure with a caliper. I got 2 uppers, one looks thinner than the other. I'm sure it's useable, but I suppose more fragile? Were these blem uppers, is that why they were being sold cheap?
View Quote

WHAT? A DPMS part out of spec? This is my shocked face:

ETA: I still think I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mighty tempted myself but I don't 'need' it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Why don't you just cruise the EE and find some decent used ones

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Why don't you just cruise the EE and find some decent used ones Avoid DPMS all-together.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why don't you just cruise the EE and find some decent used ones Avoid DPMS all-together.

S/F

Al
View Quote

The EE? It's like the proverbial needle in a haystack. I'd rather buy something when I want it rather than waste time day after day hoping something I want and isn't trashed pops up at a fair price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The EE? It's like the proverbial needle in a haystack. I'd rather buy something when I want it rather than waste time day after day hoping something I want and isn't trashed pops up at a fair price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

S/F

Al

I think it just might be a hint...

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LMAO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AZ, Nice place to be.

LMAO

T I A,  this is Africa

Just kidding.  I thought the terrain could pass for Africa.  That is a nice 605.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:44:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still ain't got my parts yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck. I've been waiting four years for them to send the A1 front sight post missing from  my order, I'm not ordering from DPMS again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Just ordered one, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#42]
They be blems and they be kinda black but they be C7 type and they be in stock and they be $97 shipped.

C7 Upper

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They be blems and they be kinda black but they be C7 type and they be in stock and they be $97 shipped.

C7 Upper

Just sayin'.
View Quote

Looks like the same upper for $22 more?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

C7 Upper

Just sayin'.
View Quote

Looks like the same upper for $22 more?
View Quote

It's only $22 more in the highly unlikely event that they actually SEND it to you.

DPMS is not known for their crack team of order fillers.

I personally am willing to pay someone else more for a DPMS part because THEY usually have it in stock if they are advertising it and THEY usually mail you what you ordered. Within a few weeks anyway.

Good luck to the Caveman. He may well have evolved before he gets his upper.

I HOPE I'm wrong!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I admit I laughed at the Y U NO READ pic
View Quote

I laughed when I realized that the picture was right, I hadn't read.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope guys are satisfied. Just ordered one myself. And to think until now I had no idea that I "needed" to build up another upper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I finally got my parts.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top