Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2014 9:41:42 AM EDT
Okay,

Here is my dilemma.  I have been gathering parts to build a Colt XM177E2 clone.  Its coming along nicely.  I am pretty much only waiting on my lower from Nodak and need to pick up a BCG.

However, the upper that I have right now for this build (See pictures below) will not work for my XM177E2 clone.  It has "P M" forge codes, it has a big head forward assist button, and it has a black finish. Now I could just scrub the forge codes (because the XM177E2 should not have any), switch the big head forward assist for a tear drop, and have the upper finished in grey.  Problem solved..................BUT.

I would really feel bad about basically destroying this nice upper that would be perfect for a Philippine Elisco 653-P Carbine build!  I know the big head forward assist are also a bit rarer then the tear drop as well.  I just cant go through with altering a piece of history to make a "Clone".  I mean perhaps someone out there is really wanting to build a model 653-P and would love this upper for their build!

So, that gives me at least three choices.  This is where I need some advice on what you guys would do if it were you.

1. Sell this 653-P upper and buy another A1 upper (preferably with no forge codes) and use it for my XM177E2 clone.
2. Try to trade this Elisco 653-P upper for another A1 upper that will work for my XM177E2 clone.
3. Keep and build this Elisco upper into a Model 653-P carbine.  But where would I ever find the proper hand guards?  Which means another build!  arrrggghhh

Besides, other then retroblackrifle.com I cant seem to find much information on the model 653-P carbine.  
Here are some pictures of the upper I currently have, that I believe would be perfect for a Philippine Elisco 653-P Carbine build.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Sell it and hunt for the correct upper.
You need the correct port door too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell it and hunt for the correct upper.
You need the correct port door too.
View Quote

Oh yea.  I did forget to mention that I will need to get an A1 port door.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
3. Keep and build this Elisco upper into a Model 653-P carbine. But where would I ever find the proper hand guards? Which means another build! arrrggghhh

True retro is a hard road.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Option 3 if you can swing it money wise.  Option 2 if you're dead set on an xm177e2.  I would TRADE for what you want rather than be left holding cash.  That way if you're not happy with the results (too much BFPU look) you're not left without an upper.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]
In addition to what you have pointed out, along with the incorrect port door, your rear lug also does NOT have the recess. I think that puts that upper as '72 or later, where as what was the last year for 177e2's?  Perhaps last year production 177's would have had the later upper, not sure of the cutoff date, but the vast majority surely would have had recessed rear lugs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Recessed rear lug? Never heard of such a thing. Do you mean recessed FRONT lug?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just put it in the Pay it forward thread, and getcha something else.....real nice.

That upper is only going to rot your soul, suck your wallet dry, and drag you down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Recessed rear lug? Never heard of such a thing. Do you mean recessed FRONT lug?
View Quote

I did indeed intend to say frt lug. Don't read what I type, read what I meant.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just put it in the Pay it forward thread, and getcha something else.....real nice.

http://bubba.org/nlcv/images/eddieok.jpg

That upper is only going to rot your soul, suck your wallet dry, and drag you down.
View Quote

LMFAO!
LOL...........I actually did laugh out loud on that one......
So true!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay,

Thanks for all the help on here as well as by email.
I have decided to post this upper on the Want to trade section first.
I would be happy to just trade it for a Colt Upper with no forge codes.......that I can use on my M16A1 or M16E1 clone build.
If I dont get any trade offers...........I guess I will try and sell it.  

Here is where its posted

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_138/1350779_WTT_A1_upper_PM_forge_code_for_No_forge_code_grey_A1_upper.html

Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top