Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 11:10:22 AM EDT
It appears the only place to get a new CAR stock at a reasonable price is at one of these places. Can anyone compare them to the Colt N1 stocks. They seem like a good price, but not if they are junk.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It appears the only place to get a new CAR stock at a reasonable price is at one of these places. Can anyone compare them to the Colt N1 stocks. They seem like a good price, but not if they are junk.
Thanks!
View Quote

If you mean the black coated aluminum stock, Essential Arms has them in stock from time to time. Item C2 on this page.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
He's talking about NIW Fiberlite stocks from Model 1 Sales or MA Parts, those will work if you want the look but often times guys here want the real thing. That's why they buy Milspec tubes, and N1 marked Colt stocks. 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a milspec/commercial stock even more wouldn't be able to tell you what a N1 stock is. Now if you come here that number flips, 90% of people would know and can tell you milspec/comm size, but here's my take. If you don't want to spend $100 on a stock body, pick up any Fiberlite stock you can and find a tube which fits the period example being very early 2 position, and later 3 position. Anything after that (4 pos. +) is NOT Retro.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The fiberlite CAR stocks from Model 1 Sales are mil-spec. I have bought three of them and they fit on the NDS 2-position buffer tube very nicely with no slop.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fiberlite CAR stocks from Model 1 Sales are mil-spec. I have bought three of them and they fit on the NDS 2-position buffer tube very nicely with no slop.
View Quote

So there you go, now we know they are Milspec and will fit a NDS 2 position tube, you can have a new stock body and gray tube, and retro lock nut for roughly the price of a used N1 stock body.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Great, thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they have the Model 1 logo molded into them?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not. No distinguishing marks at all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure if they still carry them but Model 1 did carry 6 hole carbine handguards a few years back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not usually a retro parts snob, but there are some items that just don't look right.
I have had those stocks from Model1 Sales but they don't match the original Colt N1, they look more like the aluminum - and I have tried painting them gloss black, but haven't been happy with the result.  
So I have ended up watching the EE for stocks and picked up some that work well on my BTDT builds.  Also like the Bushmaster aluminum ones when they can be found as an alternative.

Quality and strength doesn't seem to be an issue so if you are ok with the way they look, I think the M1 stock is probably GTG.

I just found this one that looks like the colt for a good price too.  They also have aluminum.  I have never used them but there is an old post from Mike at NDS that shows a refinished aluminum that looks pretty much like the Vinyl Acetate ones (2nd link below)

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/c-a-r-stock-black/

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=549199
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
idk about the M1S stock, but the MAparts is a replica of the colt fiberite, it has the ribs on the side..
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top