Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2014 11:55:21 AM EDT
This is my first attempt at aging a lower. It is a RTI grade C kit that my buddy bought and decided to leave worn. I studied the real deal thread and looked for common sense wear spots. Both he and I are very happy with the results. AR15sport pencil barrel is on order to complete the build.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks very nice, good work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
awesome!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks great, please detail the process.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking very nice.  Who's lower?  NDS,  80%?  Hope it shoots great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks really good, I am also interested in the aging and wear process.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job on aging that lower to match the upper OP

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like older DPMS or Essential Arms cast lower to me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It can be hard to get started but once you break one in, they are kindof fun to rough up!

Although I have a new NDS lower right now that needs BFPU treatment and I am reluctant to get started!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is another RGM pre ban A1 lower. I picked up a few of them as did my buddy. This lower had some casting flaws under the the perfect coating. It seemed to be the perfect candidate for the process. The hardest part is committing to the first rub of the sandpaper.

I'm sure there are endless ways to do this, but I started with 240 grid paper and worked all the high spots. Everything I looked at showed these spots worn. Next I put my hands on it and noted the high touch spots. Right side trigger area (high and back), the mag button area, mag opening, the area above the grip and the selector area. I worked my way down to 400 before moving to a green pad followed by a steel wool pad and soap. After assembly I oiled everything.

Thanks for the feedback. I can see me doing a couple more...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great! But youre not quite done! That barrel will be black and perfect, you have some work to do on it! post moar pics!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Well done man. Looks really good . Once you make that decision to ruin new parts,
It's a lot of fun. Took me a coule of tries on the first one I did. I found
Out the trick is knowing when to stop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing I did that you could try .  I used a new carrier in my BFPU a1.
Rub the right side with a scotch brite pad and it will give it a good worn look
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a great point. The little details like the bolt carrier, take down pins, selector, etc.. should match the wear patterns also. I'll go back and take a closer look to see if they are worn to match the lower. We have been debating on whether or not to use cracked hand guards. My buddy is worried about taking it too far and making it just look like a POS. He wants worn, but detailed if that makes sense. He made me replace the cracked butt plate, but keep the worn door.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
That looks beautiful. Please post an update regarding how you deal with the barrel. I've got an XM-16E1 build working and the barrel could use a little roughing up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is a great point. The little details like the bolt carrier, take down pins, selector, etc.. should match the wear patterns also. I'll go back and take a closer look to see if they are worn to match the lower. We have been debating on whether or not to use cracked hand guards. My buddy is worried about taking it too far and making it just look like a POS. He wants worn, but detailed if that makes sense. He made me replace the cracked butt plate, but keep the worn door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya , it's easy to go to far . But a missing tooth on a rifle that
Would be that old, wouldn't be out of place.
I got some damaged sets from Cdenmark and swapped
My good ones on my a1 for  a damaged set missing some teeth.
Looks just right .   If you need a damaged set let me know.
You helped me out with that cast fsb.
Out of the 6 sets I got from him, some were useable,,,,,
Some might get turned into a lamp
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Perfect!  I need to get to work on one of mine...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Very nice build.......and it certainly does look very used.  
Thanks for sharing.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks just right .   If you need a damaged set let me know
View Quote

Thanks for the offer. The funny thing is that I have been fixing every set I can get my hands on. Epoxy, black dye, blue masking tape and a dremal tool and I've had great results. Nice little projects, two hours over two days tops. I still have a set I did not touch yet, but they are both missing teeth that creates a gap. I love them, but my buddy is not thrilled with the idea. It is his rifle, so I have to respect his wishes, but I snuck a set of lightly chipped ones on there to see what he thinks. They might be the right mix for him.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer. The funny thing is that I have been fixing every set I can get my hands on. Epoxy, black dye, blue masking tape and a dremal tool and I've had great results. Nice little projects, two hours over two days tops. I still have a set I did not touch yet, but they are both missing teeth that creates a gap. I love them, but my buddy is not thrilled with the idea. It is his rifle, so I have to respect his wishes, but I snuck a set of lightly chipped ones on there to see what he thinks. They might be the right mix for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks just right .   If you need a damaged set let me know

Sounds like your friend is still in the early stages of the disease
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#20]
It's BEAUTIFUL!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is another RGM pre ban. I picked up a few of them as did my buddy. This lower had some casting flaws under the the perfect coating. It seemed to be the perfect candidate for the process. The hardest part is committing to the first rub of the sandpaper.

I'm sure there are endless ways to do this, but I started with 240 grid paper and worked all the high spots. Everything I looked at showed these spots worn. Next I put my hands on it and noted the high touch spots. Right side trigger area (high and back), the mag button area, mag opening, the area above the grip and the selector area. I worked my way down to 400 before moving to a green pad followed by a steel wool pad and soap. After assembly I oiled everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is another RGM pre ban. I picked up a few of them as did my buddy. This lower had some casting flaws under the the perfect coating. It seemed to be the perfect candidate for the process. The hardest part is committing to the first rub of the sandpaper.

BLAST YOU for beating on one of the only grayish
preban lowers I can still own...... I will hopefully get my grubby mitts on a few of these before the end of the year. It just depends if I can trade for them in a value thats not $400-$500
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#22]
looks friggen excellent though

P.S. - Just because I love it doesn't mean I codone tis sort of abuse to a Marksman.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice work, OP!  

The AR15sports pencil barrels wear in nicely with nothing more than a scratch pad, the laser printed markings will come right off.  

Post more pics when it's finished!

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I added before pictures to drive Hipshot nuts!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I added before pictures to drive Hipshot nuts!
View Quote

Now you've done it.... If I followed you on twitter you'd be officially unfollowed
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Thought I would share my buddy's family photo. The twin carbines are his boys rifles. They are 651 with mock silencers, but he changed the hand guards to triangles. All three came from the current crop of kits.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Carbines look awseome with the fake cans and triangle carbine handguards, but don't think for a second that I won't go total William Wallace on your ass for your blasphamy for what you did to that poor Marksman lower. FREEDOM!

ETA: Just busting your chops, but I do wanna hack you apart for beating on that lower and distressing the original finish.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Update of the completed rifle. I distressed the barrel and it has a used seat belt sling on it. This is my favorite rifle so far. My buddy is fully in love with it at this point. He sits and stares at it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow! Fantastic job!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
That's just how I like them!

Looking like they have been around the block once or twice!

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks great~! Another one saved! Maybe age the sling a little (more?) to match is my only critique! Great job~!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks great~! Another one saved! Maybe age the sling a little (more?) to match is my only critique! Great job~!
View Quote

Took your advise on the sling. Bought a dirty slightly more beat up one and will shift the clean one over to my 605 build.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks great!!  congrats...now if only i had the balls to do that to some of mine
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Took your advise on the sling. Bought a dirty slightly more beat up one and will shift the clean one over to my 605 build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat on that Flash Hider a bit, looks a little too nice for the rest of the gun.. Other than that it's pretty sweet.

ETA: Maybe a little wear to the FSB too... Part that takes the most abuse is the upper edges that protect the sight post.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#35]
The funny thing is that there is no finish on the flash hinder, it was rusty and I took all the finish off the edges of the FSB. Yet in the pictures they both look new. Go figure... It did have a fresh heavy coat of oil on them, maybe that is why they look better then they are.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Where do you get the  triangle carbine  handguards  ? How strong are they and Do they have metal shields ? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where do you get the  triangle carbine  handguards  ? How strong are they and Do they have metal shields ? Thanks
View Quote

Model 1 Sales sells them for like $40.00, I've never bought a set but others seem to like them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I love it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top