Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2014 2:44:32 PM EDT
I've been very active on the EE lately getting parts together for various builds that I want to try.   A month or so back I got a hankering to try to build a 605 clone.

I started gathering parts.  I could have  sworn that I put a stripped 604 upper away a couple of years ago for this build.  I KNOW I did.   I searched high and low and could not find it anywhere.  Ehh, old guy, faulty memory.  So I started searching online for a nice Colt slickside upper at a reasonable price.

LOL!  This retro hobby has gotten expensive!

I'm having a hard time paying those prices.   Then I remember that I have a stripped SP1 upper that I can use temporarily until I find a suitable 604 upper.  I know I have it.  Somewhere.  I once again search everywhere that it could possibly be.  Nothing.

This morning I go to the EE and dig up an ad I've been watching for a little bit.  I'm almost ready to take a deep breath and reply "I'll take it!" but something tells me to check one last time.

I walk in to my gun room, grab the first box on top of a pile, open it up and lo and behold, what do I find?   The SP1 upper and TWO Colt 604 uppers.  I also found two complete early chrome Colt slick bcgs and one parked slickside.  And a ton of other retro parts.

I saved so much money that I just may go back to the EE and snap up that upper.

It's a sickness.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Have been there many times!!
I love it when I open a box and find out I already own something I really want!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, so I have a planned build with a poll regarding which barrel type to use up on this forum right now - Mixed results too I might add, but anyway... the reason is that as I was going through my parts to put some up for sale on the EE, I realized "heck, I'm only short a lower, barrel and buffer tube.  Why not finish up just one more carbine!"  

It is definitely wrong in the head when I figure that this one is "almost" done when It will take another $300+ to finish it!  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My plan next time I'm back is to root around the bottom of the pile in Olgunner's office while he's at work and see if he has any parts...or guns I need. I wonder how long it would take him to notice?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My plan next time I'm back is to root around the bottom of the pile in Olgunner's office while he's at work and see if he has any parts...or guns I need. I wonder how long it would take him to notice?
View Quote

Keep an eye out for stuff I  need!  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have been there many times!!
I love it when I open a box and find out I already own something I really want!
View Quote

I lost a freaking Eotech 553 for 2 months....AND I EVEN CHECKED THE BOX I found it in twice before too...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
It is definitely wrong in the head when I figure that this one is "almost" done when It will take another $300+ to finish it!

Even buying barrels and such on sale not including optics it ads up rather quickly.  Still don't get much for $300 now days regardless of what it is.  When I raced cars I never kept receipts after the first year or two.   When total expense was calculated the event became rather nauseating more times than not. Nothing like eating Banquet, or ham and cheese all week to buy 5 gallons of high octane racing fuel to burn up a perfectly good set of drag slicks.  

Wish I had all the coins I'd spent when I can't find a part I need for a build.  Only to find more than one usually right before or right after the replacement / replacements arrive.  Ooops!  

Have recently done two very similar build events.  Kinda like fishing,  "honest wifey,  "I'll be ready to leave after I catch one more fish!"  RBRD is rather comical or insane depending on overview.  I keep unloading parts,  using in builds and still seem to have more crap now than when I started unloading the hoarder mess.  My den now belongs to my spare parts.  When they make it on to the sofa I'll admit I have a problem and seek help.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top