User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2014 1:51:58 PM EDT
Good news and bad news-

Good news is they are available now, priced right, and look great.

Bad news is they have right-side selector markings.  Rod McKay said that the next batch won't.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in seeing/hearing about the quality compared to NDS.
The marking on the right just might make them sell slower.
Attention to details is where NDS excels!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting though that McKay thinks there is enough of a market. No question as to the quality of the NDS products in general. NDS have has been loyal to the folks in retro land. It is just nice to see the interest in retro grow.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not up on retro at all....so sorry for a dumb question...why isn't that marked AUTO or FIRE instead of SEMI ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not up on retro at all....so sorry for a dumb question...why isn't that marked AUTO or FIRE instead of SEMI ?
View Quote

M16s are marked safe, semi, auto.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
As soon as they get some in without the selector markings I'm ordering 2
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no AUTO in the pic
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]
They look like a2 forgings converted to a1 spec. Machining marks on the buffer tube boss.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in for 2-4 of the next batch without the selector markings and
if the machining marks on the buffer tube are gone.

Nice to see a second choice.

Best, BC
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
i guess when you're options are to keep producing the same A2 lower that everyone else is already doing in a crowded market where lowers can be had in the ~$40 range or put them back on for a little more machining and anodize it a different color and get triple what you would have gotten before, it's a no brainer.

nds had some mckay a2 lowers a while back right?  were those finished a2 lowers in the white the nds hand polished and had anodized xm grey?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

no AUTO in the pic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

no AUTO in the pic

Yeah, that's because these aren't auto receivers.

The m16 would be marked "safe,  semi, auto. These aren't auto receivers so no "auto " markings.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Good find, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i guess when you're options are to keep producing the same A2 lower that everyone else is already doing in a crowded market where lowers can be had in the ~$40 range or put them back on for a little more machining and anodize it a different color and get triple what you would have gotten before, it's a no brainer.

nds had some mckay a2 lowers a while back right?  were those finished a2 lowers in the white the nds hand polished and had anodized xm grey?
View Quote

Mike said he hand polished and blasted those McKays himself prior to sending them out to Victor for anodizing.  As for the McKay A1's, I see tool marks in the receiver extension area.  I hope the actual production models are better machined or finished.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mike said he hand polished and blasted those McKays himself prior to sending them out to Victor for anodizing.  As for the McKay A1's, I see tool marks in the receiver extension area.  I hope the actual production models are better machined or finished.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cool.  i assume those had the same markings too right?

whoever gets one, post pics so we can see how these look and if the machining marks are still there.  also curious to see how their grey looks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]
While they made not be Nodaks, they're a damn sight better than a black A2 and would likely be a real good option for a retro build...while you wait for your Nodak to be shipped!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The m16 would be marked "safe,  semi, auto. These aren't auto receivers so no "auto " markings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

no AUTO in the pic

some folks that have ll or rdias can use the auto markings. Kinda like spikes tactical.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh, only $20 less than a NoDak, has the right side selector marks and the tool marks.

Even with the NoDak back log I would wait for one of theirs. Now if they would move the markings to the front of the magwell and fix those other two issues I would be all about it. I like NoDak and want to support them but really wish they would move the markings to the front of the mag well like they did on the prototype lowers!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Meh, only $20 less than a NoDak, has the right side selector marks and the tool marks.

Even with the NoDak back log I would wait for one of theirs. Now if they would move the markings to the front of the magwell and fix those other two issues I would be all about it. I like NoDak and want to support them but really wish they would move the markings to the front of the mag well like they did on the prototype lowers!
View Quote

Yep, you're getting a LOT of value for that extra $20.
I'd stick with NDS...but since I've gotten almost all the NDS lowers I want, I really don't have a dog in this hunt.
Someday soon I want to pick up an NDS prototype lower and upper set to replace my "early NDS Prototype upper and NDS-601B" and then I'll be done.
Then I'll sell the "rare early NDS prototype upper and rare 3 digit NDS-601B lower" to a collector.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly the only reason I'm even contemplating these is the NoDak backorder.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I think if Mckay would make the improvements stated in the other replies here and then
also offer a partial fence lower  they would sell. But also they would have years to catch
up to the level of Nodak.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Pictures aren't in ideal lighting, but it seems to have the darker gray anodizing that will match the A1 kits well.

Shame about the right side markings. They are a deal-breaker for me or else I'd have 2 or 3 on order already.

Need that right side clean for glamour shots.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I am interested.
I can use several of them if the markings are correct.

I cannot tell if they are marked A2 or A1 in the pictures.
Can anyone tell?

Thanks
Ron
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I cross posted this over to the Mk12 Thread. Naturally the machining marks were pointed out as some of the guys straddle these two sections, but I think one of these might at least be good enough to build a Mk12 off of, maybe an early Navy Mk18 as well. I'm curious whether there are methods to fill the right side selector markings without completely refinishing, or at least where Krylon/Aervoe would effectively hide it? I have a Mk12 Mod 1 conversion going on that will house all my non-spec bits, so I think in this case I'd be fine with having the slightly incorrect lower for it.

I'd like to hope that McKay actually being able to sell all of their lowers would be more sure to bring the second batch they discussed. On the other hand, if that second promised batch is already coming and all the hardcore clone/retro folks only buy them, perhaps these first run lowers will get liquidated at much lower cost?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#23]
One big difference that hasn't been mentioned is the extra engineering Nodak put into the pivot pin area to make it nearly as strong as an A2, yet have the A1 profile. While the McKay recievers don't look bad at all, (other than the RH side markings) the NDS product is still far superior in fit, hand finishing, and quality. Just understand what you are buying.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Personally, I don't view these in the same class as NDS. NDS are engineered A1 lowers. These fit better into a reprofiled class and offer an alternative to 80% lowers. Since not everyone has the ability or desire to finish an 80%, this gives them a starting point. Now there is no need to find a machine shop with an FFL to get you A2 reprofiled. There is also no need to run an A2 lower on your A1 and there is currently no waiting list.

All three lower types have plus and minus to them. NDS has engraving issues, 80% need to be finished and these reprofiled A2's don't quite have the fit and finish of the NDS units. Truth be told, we in retro land would be jumping for joy if NDS had not set the bar so high.

These are a nice alternative to an A2 or 80% lower, but not a direct competitor to NDS...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]
By setting the browser zoom to 250% I can clearly read the photo example is marked FM16A2

Could be interesting to use in place of a Balimoy lower on a late A1/Early A2 type build
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Honestly guys.... What's wrong with the Anderson lowers at $50 to $60 bucks each?

Finished and assembled.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Honestly guys.... What's wrong with the Anderson lowers at $50 to $60 bucks each?
View Quote

They're not correct, and the fun of retro are the details!

I didnt spend $150 on a fully serrated original bolt catch to put it on a cheap lower because its "good enough"
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/skidman/media/Anderson-2_zps7b8adc5a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/skidman/Anderson-2_zps7b8adc5a.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/skidman/media/Anderson-1_zpsc50775e6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/skidman/Anderson-1_zpsc50775e6.jpg</a>

Finished and assembled.  

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/skidman/media/Retro-1_zpsdb375446.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/skidman/Retro-1_zpsdb375446.jpg</a>
View Quote

Never saw anything that looked like that in 69 and I want it to look like what we used back then in the SEA War Games.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
skidman - I plan to buy a couple $50 lowers soon as well, but not for use on retros. We get a little crazy here about details, so although it may not make sense to you, it makes perfect sense to us. Plus, if you ever get the chance to put an NDS lower together, you will appreciate the craftsmanship and the tight tolerances. Best lowers out there IMO, bar none. Even their blems are great. Hang out here very long and you'll catch the disease too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
skidman - I plan to buy a couple $50 lowers soon as well, but not for use on retros. We get a little crazy here about details, so although it may not make sense to you, it makes perfect sense to us. Plus, if you ever get the chance to put an NDS lower together, you will appreciate the craftsmanship and the tight tolerances. Best lowers out there IMO, bar none. Even their blems are great. Hang out here very long and you'll catch the disease too.
View Quote

Morg, and the other responders... I didn't jump into this thread to slam retro rifles, I actually screwed up, I thought that I was posting in the AR Discussion Forum, not the retro forum.

My response was because the OP was asking about McKay receivers, and my question was what is wrong with Anderson receivers since they have NO Safe/Fire markings on the right side.

I built my 1/2 ass 603 retro on the Anderson receiver because it is the only affordable receiver with no right side markings. To be honest, I simply can't afford a Nodak receiver on my Social Security pay.

Someone above states that it doesn't look right... Why not? Original Govt surplus 1/12 pencil barrel, A1 flash hider, bayo lug, full fence as the late 603's have, non trap door stock, upper and lower color are a perfect match.

The only thing wrong is that it say's Anderson Manufacturing on the side that DOESN'T show in the picture!

I'm still a retro fan, and I've learned plenty from the retro forum.... But I'm sorry, the above retro is the best that I can afford!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
skidman - You shouldn't feel bad at all. Sorry if I made you feel that way. This forum began with builds on A2 lowers, and until Nodak came around, the option was pretty much DIY, so you won't find a lot of folks here bitching about an A2 lower. We WILL, however mention it. My pal Olgunner built a black A1 kit I gave him up on an A2 lower while he was waiting for a black NDS lower. Now that he has it, he STILL hasn't changed the lower, so don't feel too bad. Welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They look like a2 forgings converted to a1 spec. Machining marks on the buffer tube boss.
View Quote

Definitely!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Morg, and the other responders... I didn't jump into this thread to slam retro rifles, I actually screwed up, I thought that I was posting in the AR Discussion Forum, not the retro forum.

My response was because the OP was asking about McKay receivers, and my question was what is wrong with Anderson receivers since they have NO Safe/Fire markings on the right side.

I built my 1/2 ass 603 retro on the Anderson receiver because it is the only affordable receiver with no right side markings. To be honest, I simply can't afford a Nodak receiver on my Social Security pay.

Someone above states that it doesn't look right... Why not? Original Govt surplus 1/12 pencil barrel, A1 flash hider, bayo lug, full fence as the late 603's have, non trap door stock, upper and lower color are a perfect match.

The only thing wrong is that it say's Anderson Manufacturing on the side that DOESN'T show in the picture!

I'm still a retro fan, and I've learned plenty from the retro forum.... But I'm sorry, the above retro is the best that I can afford!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

skidman, the Anderson is an "A2" lower, the most noticeable features of which are reinforced areas around the buffer tube tower and the pivot pin holes.
To retro nuts, those silly little details make all the difference in the world.  The the other 99.98% of the human race, they mean nothing at all!

If anyone away from these pages sees your rifle, they will think "Vietnam era," and when you take it out to shoot, it's as lightweight and balanced as an original.  Nothing else is really worth worrying about!
(Unless you're infected like most of us here!)

And as Morg implied, many of us here do have clones built on modern lowers.  Sometimes, just to get them running while we wait for a more "correct" lower and sometimes just because they work and we see no need to change them.

Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The only thing wrong is that it say's Anderson Manufacturing on the side that DOESN'T show in the picture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing wrong is that it say's Anderson Manufacturing on the side that DOESN'T show in the picture.

I was not knocking your use of an A2 lower just saying why I use Nodak A1 lowers on my builds. Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Who can shed some light on these lowers, how is the metal finish work and anodizing seem to be?.....from what i can tell from the pictures they look like a good lower but i would like to hear from someone who has purchased some.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Who can shed some light on these lowers, how is the metal finish work and anodizing seem to be?.....from what i can tell from the pictures they look like a good lower but i would like to hear from someone who has purchased some.  
View Quote

Look on page three for the Nodak vidio of what mike does to prep the Nodak lowers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

As others have noted here, about the McKay lowers, if you zoom in and look close at the area around the receiver extension you will see definite tool marks running horizontally
I just wish they would have taken the time to remove those before anodizing. And then also the safe and fire on the right side. I hope the next run has had more attention to detail.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#38]
i know about the NoDak lowers and what they do and how well handcrafted they are, and well worth the money, i was just curious about these.....i thought about buying one and trying it out, i just didn't know anyone who had or has any of the Mckay's to be worth trying out
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Aren't  these more expensive than NDS because it doesn't include shipping?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I think that the second batch will be better machined and more like what we want.  I like McKay's A2 receivers and welcome a new kid on the block for more A1 lowers, but know NDS are pretty hard to beat.  I, for one, am glad that someone else is doing this.  NDS is amazing stuff, but choices are always good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My McKay lowers came from NDS. They were excellent, but as was mentioned may have been processed/anodized by NDS? I'm not sure... but what does seem clear is NDS is committed to the details and active in the community here. We've all talked with Mike and Harlan. What about the other guys? While choice is nice and I'm all for selection and competition, NDS is great and I can't see much reason to deviate away from that...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought 3 McKay A2 lowers via NDS, and there is no question that my NDS lowers are the superior product. NDS did a great job on the finish on the McKays - especially the two gray ones that I have, but the end result "felt" like Colt quality to me, and a step below a NDS in house lower.

Summary, the next run of McKay A1 lowers, will probably be just below the quality of NDS blems IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think that the second batch will be better machined and more like what we want.  I like McKay's A2 receivers and welcome a new kid on the block for more A1 lowers, but know NDS are pretty hard to beat.  I, for one, am glad that someone else is doing this.  NDS is amazing stuff, but choices are always good.
View Quote

This, and thank you McKay.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was not knocking your use of an A2 lower just saying why I use Nodak A1 lowers on my builds. Nice rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the compliments... I would love to do an original retro on a NoDak engraved receiver.... But on my budget, it just isn't going to happen. My build is good enough for me even though it isn't a genuine retro.

I think from now on that I'm just going to lurk and learn in the retro forum, and keep my posts too myself.  Thanks everyone for the help.

BTW: My main reason for viewing the retro forum was the Girls With AR's thread... But It looks like it died.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#45]
skidman - why would you keep your posts to yourself? I hope you don't think we were piling on. Stick around - I'm looking forward to your future builds - and don't worry, some of us really understand lack of capital!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#46]
If anyone away from these pages sees your rifle, they will think "Vietnam era," and when you take it out to shoot, it's as lightweight and balanced as an original. Nothing else is really worth worrying about!
View Quote

People who insist on an A1 profile lower want their rifle to be as close as possible to the "real deal".  They'll scour the internet for all of the period-correct parts and spend the extra time and money working on those little details that make the difference to those in the know.  And of course, to themselves.  They build replicas, which are as close as possible in every single detail to an actual M16A1.

Others are satisfied to get a rifle that looks the part at a glance.  They want something that retains the overall look and feel of the rifle, but other considerations trump those final details that the true retroheads value.  These people build what I would call an "homage rifle".  They assemble something that bears a strong visual resemblance to the real deal, but with more modern, easy to acquire parts, whether because of time, money, availability of parts, or just the absence of a pressing interest in going that extra mile.

In my case, time and money trumped ultimate authenticity. That's why I call mine a "603ish" A1 style rifle, and the internals are all vintage 2013 or later.

The only one of my circle of friends who noticed was my buddy who has a slab-side 603 build off of a Colt Sporter.  But guess what?  I don't think his is completely accurate, either, since it is a true "slab side" no-fence lower, and yet it has a forward assist (I don't think a true A1 was built in this configuration, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  Here's his and mine together:

I guess the point is, build what you want and enjoy it!  One thing about the Retro forum that I've noticed is the "detail" guys still have an appreciation for those who don't want to go all in.  I've never seen someone take any flack over building a rifle the way they want!  

EDIT: Ol'Gunner, I was using your quote, but I was replying to Skidman, if that makes any sense.

SKIDMAN - Don't sweat it and don't stop posting!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
By setting the browser zoom to 250% I can clearly read the photo example is marked FM16A2

Could be interesting to use in place of a Balimoy lower on a late A1/Early A2 type build
View Quote

It also says so in the item description on their site, marked A2.

After watching NoDak's video, that's where I want to do business. That said if this company pays into the same quality in the next batch I will look at them again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#48]
So are these lowers good to go for the "ish" m16a1 or 654 build?  Correct profile and color?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So are these lowers good to go for the "ish" m16a1 or 654 build?  Correct profile and color?
View Quote

profile and color yes, markings not so much but i would use one while waiting on a nds or not.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

People who insist on an A1 profile lower want their rifle to be as close as possible to the "real deal".  They'll scour the internet for all of the period-correct parts and spend the extra time and money working on those little details that make the difference to those in the know.  And of course, to themselves.  They build replicas, which are as close as possible in every single detail to an actual M16A1.

Others are satisfied to get a rifle that looks the part at a glance.  They want something that retains the overall look and feel of the rifle, but other considerations trump those final details that the true retroheads value.  These people build what I would call an "homage rifle".  They assemble something that bears a strong visual resemblance to the real deal, but with more modern, easy to acquire parts, whether because of time, money, availability of parts, or just the absence of a pressing interest in going that extra mile.

In my case, time and money trumped ultimate authenticity. That's why I call mine a "603ish" A1 style rifle, and the internals are all vintage 2013 or later.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/squashpup/PICT0419_zps00b508e2.jpg

The only one of my circle of friends who noticed was my buddy who has a slab-side 603 build off of a Colt Sporter.  But guess what? I don't think his is completely accurate, either, since it is a true "slab side" no-fence lower, and yet it has a forward assist (I don't think a true A1 was built in this configuration, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  Here's his and mine together:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/squashpup/CIMG7629_zps707063ac.jpg

I guess the point is, build what you want and enjoy it!  One thing about the Retro forum that I've noticed is the "detail" guys still have an appreciation for those who don't want to go all in.  I've never seen someone take any flack over building a rifle the way they want!  

EDIT: Ol'Gunner, I was using your quote, but I was replying to Skidman, if that makes any sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
If anyone away from these pages sees your rifle, they will think "Vietnam era," and when you take it out to shoot, it's as lightweight and balanced as an original. Nothing else is really worth worrying about!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/squashpup/PICT0419_zps00b508e2.jpg

The only one of my circle of friends who noticed was my buddy who has a slab-side 603 build off of a Colt Sporter.  But guess what? I don't think his is completely accurate, either, since it is a true "slab side" no-fence lower, and yet it has a forward assist (I don't think a true A1 was built in this configuration, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  Here's his and mine together:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/squashpup/CIMG7629_zps707063ac.jpg

I thought the same thing, but someone posted a picture of an early XM177E1 with a 601 lower - which I am planning on replicating. (Sort of) In fact, the upper and lower live together in a drawer at present...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top