Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2014 4:54:42 AM EDT
Hello,

New guy here.  
I am one of those AKM guys that just has to build a AR....just once.  LOL

I am looking for a good authentic looking moderator for a Colt Model 629/XM177E2 clone build with grenade ring.
I however am going to get a 14.5 inch barrel and would like the moderator to slip on to extend it to legal length, so the barrel is longer.

Has anyone been down this road before?  I hope so.  I cannot find anything.

Thanks
S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello,

New guy here.  
I am one of those AKM guys that just has to build a AR....just once.  LOL

I am looking for a good authentic looking moderator for a Colt Model 629/XM177E2 clone build with grenade ring.
I however am going to get a 14.5 inch barrel and would like the moderator to slip on to extend it to legal length, so the barrel is longer.

Has anyone been down this road before?  I hope so.  I cannot find anything.

Thanks
S
View Quote

Are you doing a 629/XM177E2 build? If so, why not have the barrel cut down to 12.75" and use one of Brick's moderators (4.5") and have it pinned and soldered/welded? With a 14.5" barrel and the moderator, you will be extending way past the legal length and the moderator will still have to pinned and soldered/welded.

This is mine with the 12.75" barrel and pinned and soldered/welded Brick's moderator. Barrel length is now 16.25".

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello Jrs93accord,

Thats a very nice looking rifle.

Thats a good idea.  But I already have a line on a 14.5 barrel and the reason I originally went with that idea is because of this.......

I traded for this moderator..........

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the crappy pictures.  I just took them for this post with my cell phone.

This moderator is a "Slip On" style.  that as you can see goes over the barrel and only extends just under two inches.  To make the barrel legal length.
I liked this idea because I get to keep a barrel that is longer.

However, after doing some research.  I realize this moderator is not correct or authentic for what I want to do.  So I am now seeking a moderator that
will function like this one...........letting me keep my longer barrel but giving me a more authentic looking compensator for my Colt Model 629/XM177E2 clone build.

Hope this makes sense to everyone that reads this.  

I have no idea where this moderator came from??  I guess someone might have made it themselves??  Does anyone recognize it from anywhere?

Thanks for any help or advice.

S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
so in your last post, you pointed out the things i was about to point out.  

that even with a slip on, if you don't permanently attach it, your 14.5" barrel still won't be legal so you're not really saving yourself any work.

the flash hider you have looks to be blued and the slots aren't correct.

depending on your budget and how accurate you want it to look, here's your options on a carbine barrel

get a 16" barrel and thread on whatever one you want.  Brick's moderators are really popular and really close to the originals.
get a shorter barrel or have the 14.5" barrel cut down and permanently attach a moderator to bring it to legal length.  this looks the most correct but is the more expensive option as you'll have the barrel cutting/threading/permanently attaching the flash hider.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]that even with a slip on, if you don't permanently attach it, your 14.5" barrel still won't be legal so you're not really saving yourself any work..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
[b]that even with a slip on, if you don't permanently attach it, your 14.5" barrel still won't be legal so you're not really saving yourself any work..

Oh yea, I was planning on getting it perm attached in which ever manner is legal.  I also was going to be looking for someone to do that for as well.

[b]the flash hider you have looks to be blued and the slots aren't correct..

Yea, I have found out, its not correct for anything.  Nothing I am aware of.  So I am looking for a new one.

[b]get a shorter barrel or have the 14.5" barrel cut down and permanently attach a moderator to bring it to legal length.  this looks the most correct but is the more expensive option as you'll have the barrel cutting/threading/permanently attaching the flash hider.

I guess this is what I will be doing.  I was really hoping to keep the longer barrel by finding another "slip on" style moderator that was of the correct style with the grenade ring.............but unless someone knows of one........it wont be an option.

Oh, I should also point out that I donot have a lower receiver yet either.  I plan on getting one ordered from Nodak.  The one with the fence for this clone.

How do I get in touch with Brick to discuss the purchase of the moderator?

Thanks
S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Awesome!
Thanks for the information and help.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW that is a Bushmaster slip over - looks like a ltwt barrel model, which are kinda hard to find. Main issue as to looking real is no wrench flats and not a cone on the end. Not really a bad way to go, but yes, Brick's is more historically accurate. Sweet barrel, BTW. Sure you want to cut it? You might want to think about a 653 or 723 build instead.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Opps..........sorry I didnt see it.  I did not get a notification that there had been more posts.  
I will have to get used to the forum settings over here.  

But, thank you very much for posting the information!  This place has turned out to be very helpful.

S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW that is a Bushmaster slip over - looks like a ltwt barrel model, which are kinda hard to find. Main issue as to looking real is no wrench flats and not a cone on the end. Not really a bad way to go, but yes, Brick's is more historically accurate. Sweet barrel, BTW. Sure you want to cut it? You might want to think about a 653 or 723 build instead.
View Quote

No, I am not sure I want to cut it at all..........LOL........I might have to try and find a lightweight barrel to have cut.  hmmmmm.

Thanks for the information on the moderator.  It does have wrench flats though.... if you look closer in the pictures.  At least is does
at the back end of the moderator.

Thanks!
S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#12]
is that an older Colt barrel?

Would be a shame to cut something like that if it is
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You might want to think about a 653 or 723 build instead.
View Quote

Good idea.  I love the looks of the CM 629/XM177...........but I dont think perm attaching an A1 birdcage flash hider to a 14.5 inch barrel would get me to legal 16 inches?  

S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

i see C MP CHROME BORE on top.  FSB isn't colt marked so it's one of the later ones but still would be a shame to cut.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i see C MP CHROME BORE on top.  FSB isn't colt marked so it's one of the later ones but still would be a shame to cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I believe it is.
It is marked "C MP CHROME BORE"  on top of the barrel.  Its seems mint as well.
Perhaps I should consider building a model 653.........or perhaps just try and pick up another barrel for the XM177E2 build?

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good idea.  I love the looks of the CM 629/XM177...........but I dont think perm attaching an A1 birdcage flash hider to a 14.5 inch barrel would get me to legal 16 inches?  

S
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S

Check out CNCwarrior online. For $5 they make a spacer that looks like the rear of a USGI FH and is hardly noticable but once pinned with the FH it 's legal. Check out the 1st page of the KISS/IDF pic thread over in AR Discussions. Very first carbine was done that way (M4 barrel) and I'm about to have an A2 FH pinned on a SOCOM barrel like that. Personally I think ti looks better than the extended A1 or A2 FH, but that's also an option. At first glance you don't even notice the spacer...but that's my .02
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Check out CNCwarrior online. For $5 they make a spacer that looks like the rear of a USGI FH and is hardly noticable but once pinned with the FH it 's legal. Check out the 1st page of the KISS/IDF pic thread over in AR Discussions. Very first carbine was done that way (M4 barrel) and I'm about to have an A2 FH pinned on a SOCOM barrel like that. Personally I think ti looks better than the extended A1 or A2 FH, but that's also an option. At first glance you don't even notice the spacer...but that's my .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S

Your right.  It really is not that noticeable at all...............perhaps I should go that route.  To save destroying this barrel.
I can prob use another barrel to have the Brick XM moderator attached......

I checked my spare parts box.......I have a A2 birdcage but no A1........darn.  

hmmmmm

Dosnt always seem like one build leads to another build........and another..........lol

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out J&T (button at bottom) for decent ltwt barrels that are begging to be cut down. They have a chrome-lining option for additional $50 and I have never heard anyone on this forum say anything but good things about their barrels. I would definitely not cut that Colt barrel. At this point in time they are pretty rare birds. Wish I hadn't sold the 3 I had.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Check out J&T (button at bottom) for decent ltwt barrels that are begging to be cut down. They have a chrome-lining option for additional $50 and I have never heard anyone on this forum say anything but good things about their barrels. I would definitely not cut that Colt barrel. At this point in time they are pretty rare birds. Wish I hadn't sold the 3 I had.
View Quote

Thanks buddy.
I will do that.  Thanks so much for the advice and information.

S
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks buddy.

S
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks buddy.

S

Fwiw, heres a J&T 14.5" light weight. They also offer it in 10.5", 11.5", and 16". Plus chrome bore if wanted. If your going to cut it anyway, just get the 16", since its $10 cheaper.

J&T 11.5".

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Question. I've always wanted to know what exactly is going on internally in the 4.5" moderator? Any baffles, etc? I've yet to see up into a real one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Question. I've always wanted to know what exactly is going on internally in the 4.5" moderator? Any baffles, etc? I've yet to see up into a real one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow. Theres actually more to the real moderator internally then I could've imagined. Thanks for the pic above.

Fwiw, heres another alternative to the XM flash hider dilemma/application. Its the Tony's LLC flash hider replica. This one...

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/ar-15-xm-177-style-flash-hider/

Heres how it actually looks. The overall is 5.25" including the GR. The hider to the start of the grenade ring section is 4 7/8th"x1" dia. I installed it on this 11.5" barrel and then measured the overall legal barrel length if it was pinned/welded. =16.25".

Since the "grenade ring" section isn't counter sunk like the real deal, it adds more overall length. The apparent pin hole is threaded.

How it looks compared to a somewhat more accurate FH (4.5" BM + grenade ring) in the 2nd pic from bottom. I think it looks worlds better then the typical 5.5"/smaller dia hiders(shown at very bottom) we all know. This would be 100% legal since its over 16".

With BM 4.5"+GR.

Way better looking then these...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Foe an extremely accurate representation, Tony's moderator still has some inaccuracies - such as the lack of bevel on the grenade ring and the shape of the broaching cuts - look close and you'll see what I mean. I do agree with you that it looks a lot better than the 5.5 we all know and despise, and I found it interesting that it makes an 11.5" barrel legal length. My question is, if it's over 16" by 1/4", couldn't Brick just not countersink his moderator as much and accomplish the same thing? The bodies look about the same length. I would prefer a Brick's moderator not countersunk as much, with up to an 1/8" longer body to make it legal with an 11.5" barrel if that's all it took. I'm guessing it's not quite that simple, but it really doesn't look over long, like some of Kurt's 5.5" customs did to me. Like I said, it 'look's the right length. Maybe the answer is 1/8" here and 1/8" there...

Can you set them up side by side and compare OAL for us?

ETA2: I notice the length of the wrench flat area on Tony's is longer also. Looks like this is the approach they took. Interesting. I still think Brick's is superior though.
ETA3: I just noticed that's a BM moderator not Bricks. Reading is everything. Thought it was missing the cone...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I like this one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Foe an extremely accurate representation, Tony's moderator still has some inaccuracies - such as the lack of bevel on the grenade ring and the shape of the broaching cuts - look close and you'll see what I mean. I do agree with you that it looks a lot better than the 5.5 we all know and despise, and I found it interesting that it makes an 11.5" barrel legal length. My question is, if it's over 16" by 1/4", couldn't Brick just not countersink his moderator as much and accomplish the same thing? The bodies look about the same length. I would prefer a Brick's moderator not countersunk as much, with up to an 1/8" longer body to make it legal with an 11.5" barrel if that's all it took. I'm guessing it's not quite that simple, but it really doesn't look over long, like some of Kurt's 5.5" customs did to me. Like I said, it 'look's the right length. Maybe the answer is 1/8" here and 1/8" there...

Can you set them up side by side and compare OAL for us?

ETA2: I notice the length of the wrench flat area on Tony's is longer also. Looks like this is the approach they took. Interesting. I still think Brick's is superior though.
ETA3: I just noticed that's a BM moderator not Bricks. Reading is everything. Thought it was missing the cone...
View Quote

Agree 100% regarding the Brick being a better accurate choice. Also regarding the Tony FH not being correct in several details. But, its much better then the skinny 5.5 FHs(I built a 5.5+11.5"+A1 upper back in the early 80s. being my first ground-up, piece by piece from guns shows..build at the time. way back then, it and even having a forward assist A1 upper was very cool)I think the Brick is only 4.3-something long. The GR adds another .1-something extra in overall length together(both off the top of my head, from reading about it today at GB). The BM FH of mine is 4.5" long plus the GR. So its also slightly longer. I'm sure the Brick is prolly the correct length.

I think your right.."..1/8" extra and another 1/8" there..."is prolll how the Tonys does it. I need to remeasure it for the total barrel length on the 11.5". ..digging out my cleaning rod again..

Fwiw, the BM+GR is exactly 4"-13/16s long. The Tonys is 5.25" long.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like this one. <a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/DSC_0004A_zpsffa3230c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/DSC_0004A_zpsffa3230c.jpg</a>
View Quote

Agree again. Me too. Everything's there. Thats a 12.5" setup from the looks. THE best way, short of going SBR with the 11.5" barrel+Bricks.

ETA:just remeasured the Tonys while again mounted on the above 11.5" barrel. Exactly 16.25" from the bolt face to the end of the flash hider. Its GTG in that regard.

Currently, I believe theres 6 choices, of varying levels...

SBR
12.5" barrel +brick
11.5" barrel +Brick pistol build
Tonys +11.5"
5.5" +11.5"
Heavy arse slip over.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BravoTac-BRT-356-5-56-5-5-Long-Muzzle-Brake-XM177-Commando-11-5-Barrel-to-16-/321442381130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad7757d4a

I found this one piece moderator ^^^a couple of weeks ago and posted about it.http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/650509_XM177E2_One_Piece_Moderators.html
A bit pricey IMO, but it looks quite a bit better than Tony's.

I have a moderator and grenade ring coming from Brick, cheaper and better looking. If he had made an extended two piece design, I would have considered a pinned 11.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#29]
The only thing I'm not too found of on that 5.5" FH above on Ebay...is from the looks from the mouth/front, its tapered backward pretty thick, and it does it quickly from the front. One can see by the back of the vents, its already very thick and a relatively small bore. =heavier and less effective as a FH I would guess. The Tonys is at least, the same large dia all the down to the threads. Altho, both the BM and Tonys(and I'd suspect the Brick also) have a fist size fireball. Tested them both tonight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Agree again. Me too. Everything's there. Thats a 12.5" setup from the looks. THE best way, short of going SBR with the 11.5" barrel+Bricks.
ETA:just remeasured the Tonys while again mounted on the above 11.5" barrel. Exactly 16.25" from the bolt face to the end of the flash hider. Its GTG in that regard.
SBR

12.5" barrel +brick

Tonys +11.5"

5.5" +11.5"

Heavy arse slip over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this one. <a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/DSC_0004A_zpsffa3230c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/DSC_0004A_zpsffa3230c.jpg</a>

SBR

12.5" barrel +brick

Tonys +11.5"

5.5" +11.5"

Heavy arse slip over.
It's actually a lot longer, the barrel was turned down and the threads done towards the rear, the tip of the barrel is about an 1.5"  from the front of the faux moderator. Barrel is at least 14.5 ", with the pinned faux moderator length is about 16 and 5/8.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

S

@Morg308
I checked the CNC Warrior website.  But I cannot find the spacer that looks like the rear of a USGI FH in 1/2-28 threads?  They do have one that is threaded for an AK barrel, is that what was used I wonder?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Actually, I'd be interested in what I think the OP was originally asking about - a decent looking slip-over that would bring a standard uncut off-the-shelf 14.5" barrel to legal length.  

I'm wondering if some kind of spacer could be used inside the standard slip-overs that are available.  I'm not sure how long the spacer would need to be to push the muzzle end of the moderator out to the 16.1" mark, but of course there would have to be enough thread past the spacer to get the moderator screwed on.

Another approach might be to ream out the slip-over and put in an insert that was threaded on its inside to fit the barrel threads.  Probably hard to visualize what I'm talking about without a drawing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Actually, I'd be interested in what I think the OP was originally asking about - a decent looking slip-over that would bring a standard uncut off-the-shelf 14.5" barrel to legal length.  

I'm wondering if some kind of spacer could be used inside the standard slip-overs that are available.  I'm not sure how long the spacer would need to be to push the muzzle end of the moderator out to the 16.1" mark, but of course there would have to be enough thread past the spacer to get the moderator screwed on.

Another approach might be to ream out the slip-over and put in an insert that was threaded on its inside to fit the barrel threads.  Probably hard to visualize what I'm talking about without a drawing.
View Quote

Actually.....I am very sure the slip over moderator I have.....The one I posted pictures of on this thread....will slip onto a 14.5 barrel and make it legal min length.  I will double check.  If you are interested in it....message me....I am no longer going to use it....so it's up for grabs.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

@Morg308

I checked the CNC Warrior website.  But I cannot find the spacer that looks like the rear of a USGI FH in 1/2-28 threads?  They do have one that is threaded for an AK barrel, is that what was used I wonder?

Thanks

View Quote

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=22289

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually.....I am very sure the slip over moderator I have.....The one I posted pictures of on this thread....will slip onto a 14.5 barrel and make it legal min length.  I will double check.  If you are interested in it....message me....I am no longer going to use it....so it's up for grabs.  

View Quote

Please do double check.  The way ATF measures is by putting a rod marked at 16" down the barrel from the muzzle to the face of the closed bolt.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Please do double check.  The way ATF measures is by putting a rod marked at 16" down the barrel from the muzzle to the face of the closed bolt.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay....I will check....thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Morg308

Thanks

Opps.........I over looked it somehow.  Thanks for the link.
I hate browsing on my phone........wonder what else I have missed....LOL

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

@Morg308

Thanks

Thanks

It's easy to miss, they call it a 1/2x28 jam nut.

eta I used one to bring a USGI M4 barrel up to legal length with an A2 flash hider.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

SBR
12.5" barrel +brick
Tonys +11.5"
5.5" +11.5"
Heavy arse slip over.

View Quote

So is it clear that the brick installed on an uncut off-the-shelf 12.5" barrel gets you to 16"?

I might be willing to do that...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So is it clear that the brick installed on an uncut off-the-shelf 12.5" barrel gets you to 16"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR
12.5" barrel +brick
Tonys +11.5"
5.5" +11.5"
Heavy arse slip over.

almost

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR
12.5" barrel +brick
Tonys +11.5"
5.5" +11.5"
Heavy arse slip over.

almost

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww111/Robpics/BRICKS-1.jpg

12.5" barrel with a Brick's will work.

Per Brick;

12.5" barrel - .63 threads = 11.87"
11.87" barrel + 4.34" moderator + .1" grenade ring = 16.31"

STILL an inch too long for a REAL XM177E2 but it beats kissing Uncle's Ass.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Per Brick;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR
12.5" barrel +brick
Tonys +11.5"
5.5" +11.5"
Heavy arse slip over.

almost

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww111/Robpics/BRICKS-1.jpg

Per Brick;

makes sense, the diagram and measurements above don't show a grenade ring.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Awesome.....but how hard is it to find a 12.5 inch pencil barrel....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

it's not a common length, especially in pencil profile.  you'll more than likely need to get a 16" and have it cut down.  john thomas is who i'd send it to.  he can cut, rethread, blind pin and weld to bring to legal length and reparkerize.  all in an amazingly fast turnaround time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

it's not a common length, especially in pencil profile.  you'll more than likely need to get a 16" and have it cut down.  john thomas is who i'd send it to.  he can cut, rethread, blind pin and weld to bring to legal length and reparkerize.  all in an amazingly fast turnaround time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  Is he a forum member or is does he have a business?

Thanks, once again. ...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks, once again. ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, once again. ...

you can email/im him here:
http://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=111652

or you can visit his website:
http://www.retroarmsworks.com/

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Not so fast...

Brick's diagram is dealing with the overall length including the barrel extension, but that's not how ATF measures it.  They go from the bolt face (which sits somewhat inside the barrel extension) to the muzzle end of the barrel (including permed muzzle device, if any).

Thinking about that, if the overall length of a 12.78" barrel with a permed Brick is the same as a Colt 16", and a Colt 16" is barely legal, then a permed Brick on a 12.5" barrel would still fall 0.28" short.  If the grenade ring adds another 0.1", that still leaves you 0.18" short.

But maybe a standard Colt 16" is 0.18" or more longer than it needs to be... I don't know.  Similarly, a so-called 12.5" barrel might not really be exactly 12.5" as ATF measures it (for example, PWS lists the barrel length on their MK112 SBR as 12.75", which as an actual as-ATF-measures barrel would be enough to make the Brick work).  Further, the exact length of a barrel of a given nominal length might vary.  So, about the only way I know to tell would be to test it, but you'd need a 12.5" barrel in hand, and if you bought one but it didn't work you'd be kinda stuck.

Of course you can solve that by cutting down a longer barrel, but the problem you get into there is that purpose-built SBR barrels have bigger gas ports than longer barrels.  An actual 12.5" barrel would have the right gas port diameter (presumably), while a cut down longer barrel (presumably) would not.

One possibility is to find a vendor that both does barrel work and stocks 12.5" barrels, and see if they'll test it for you if you send them a Brick.

Skinny barrels with gas ports located for a carbine gas system are rare these days anyway.  BCM used to make them in 14.5" a couple years ago, and I used one with a permed A2X in a non-retro LW carbine build.  They don't show those on their web now, even as out of stock.  Daniel Defense makes them in 14.5", but it is .750" in the gas block area despite being skinny fore & aft of that, so you'd either have to use a .750 FSB or have it turned down anyway.  As they make a govt profile 12.5", if a 12.5" would work I'd probably go with that for having the right gas port and have it turned down to skinny (ADCO stocks them and would do the work).
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#48]
On my XM177E2 build, I had a 16" lightweight barrel cut down to 12.75" and with Bricks's moderator permanently mounted it functions just fine. On my XM607 build (SBR) with a 10" barrel that was 16" to start with, I had the gas port opened up just a bit and it functions great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On my XM177E2 build, I had a 16" lightweight barrel cut down to 12.75" and with Bricks's moderator permanently mounted it functions just fine. On my XM607 build (SBR) with a 10" barrel that was 16" to start with, I had the gas port opened up just a bit and it functions great.
View Quote

Good to know!  Maybe it only becomes a problem with the 10" barrels.  What weight buffer do you run in the 12.75"?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good to know!  Maybe it only becomes a problem with the 10" barrels.  What weight buffer do you run in the 12.75"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard carbine buffer with M16 BCG. Works great.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top