AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Green Mountain barrels are 1:12, chrome lined, A1 profile but with an M4 extension.  Minus the m4 extension their barrels are 100% perfect to spec replicas.  And dealy accurate too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a correct retro, the .625 FSB and rifle extension rather than M4 seem to be the main complaints I hear about modern barrels. IIRC, only one company offers .625 FSBs on a rifle barrel, but it has M4 extension and no chrome lining IIRC. (AR15sport). As mentioned, a correct rifle and 14.7" carbine would sell. Guys doing shorty commando or XM177 builds could easily have them cut down. In Ar15sports defense, they are apparently pretty nice barrels, and damn close to a perfect retro barrel...I would concentrate on the 14.7" ones. We may just have to learn to live with M4 extensions...

Green Mountain barrels are 1:12, chrome lined, A1 profile but with an M4 extension.  Minus the m4 extension their barrels are 100% perfect to spec replicas.  And dealy accurate too.

Good to know - but I believe they come w/o a FSB...right? It would be nice to have it all together as one, but we definitely are in better shape than just a couple years ago as far as 20" retro barrel choices go. The 14.7" would be a good bet I think, better than the 20" perhaps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not a bad idea, thought most people that want 1/8 used the .750 GB. I haven't looked for FSB sources yet, up until now there hasn't been any time/capacity.
View Quote

We appreciate you listening to us, that's for sure. The right FSB and perhaps an option in twist and extension would really help sell barrels I think. I would like a 20" A1 barrel with rifle extension and FSB but in 1:7 or 1:8 for example, but a 1:12 barrel with rifle extension would be more correct for most builds. Offering the correct, pinned FSB would be, I think, a deal maker for some guys. I personally don't like having to send out a barrel to have a FSB pinned. Most modern builds don't have this issue as they use lo-pro block, but for retro, it's a must have. Correctly pinned (not canted) FSBs are a must on a decent retro build. I have always wanted one of the early A1 profile 1:7 M16A1E1 barrels, but they are few and far between. The 14.7" ltwt is a clear winner to me. I'm surprised no one has offered it before now. CMMG used to do 14.7" but they were .750 at the FSB if I remember correctly. A decent 723 barrel would be tits, and good for modern builds too. Should be offered with or w/o FSB to lower costs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I know it's already been said, but you were looking for numbers

16" and 20" skinny GI barrel with chrome bore & chamber, 0.625" FSB ALREADY DRILLED & pinned. While I have drilled & pinned my own, it simply easier to buy it done, as long as it's done correctly.

I'd be fine with 1/12, but would prefer 1/9 or 1/8 twist, since I shoot anything from 55 gr to 77 gr.

I hope this pans out!

ETA: 5.56 chamber only. Custom order would be awesome re: length & rifling, but I know it's not practical.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What I have been looking for but been unable to find is a barrel for Retro Hunting. I want to use my 603 clone for hunting but would never use a 5.56 on whitetail deer. I want retro profile 6.8 SPC or 300 BLK. Front sight pinned and barrel nut/ D-ring included would be nice too. No matter what you do accuracy and quality for the price are most important to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
14.7" barrel and .625" at the FSB please!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Is there a time frame for when these will be produced?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have not heard a verdict on the Green Mountain 20" pencils, anybody?
View Quote

I have built 2 with their 20" barrel and other than the PITA of installing the FSB I have no complaints.  Of course, I wanted to use the FSB that came with the LG kit anyway...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hardly a "purist", as my preference is for modern on the inside, retro on the outside, so the following is just me...

For my A1 build, I wanted a chrome-line (bore & chamber), Mil-B-11595E steel, MP tested, 1:7 20" A1-profile 5.56mm barrel with M4 feed ramps.  To get it, I'm having a BCM A2-profile turned down.  If somebody (that I knew about) made that from the factory, I'd have bought it.

Other than for matching a correct retro twist (1:12, 1:14), I really can't see the attraction in any twist except 1:7.  General military issue was 1:12 until it was 1:7.  Unless I was replicating some specific weapon (e.g. SEAL recon rifle had a special profile 1:8 match barrel), I personally would never buy a 1:8 or 1:9.

Midway carries steel .625" FSB's with bayonet lugs.  I've used one and have two more in hand for builds in progress.  They don't have the flash removed, so if you want that you have to get that done & get it re-parked.  The one I've used isn't in a retro build, and I'll be doing the flash removal thing on the other two.  If you were going to bother with making a 20" A1-profile barrel with the FSB already on it, might as well go the whole hog and get them made with the flash removed before parking.

I have a local guy who has the equipment to mount an undrilled FSB on an undrilled barrel, but he had to build a rig for doing that first time I asked him to (retired machinist so no big deal except the wait).  For most people, though, a FSB already mounted is much better so they don't have to sent it off.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
20", .625, 1/9 twist, chrome lined, rifle extensions with pre-pinned gb/fs would probably be a hot seller in the retro market. I think its a good idea youll pretty much be the nodak spud of barrels.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there barrel extensions being manufactured that AREN'T M4 feed ramped?  I don't know,  but would imagine, that there are only a small handfull of companies producing barrel extensions. No doubt they are producing whatever the volume "use" is, and we know which one that is.
On the subject of "hunting" barrels in retro profile.........I think retro pencil barrel is what?????....something like .560 or so under the handguards???   Poke a .308 diameter bor ethrough that and you are left pretty thin. Even at .625 for the retro sight base and you're at .153. I have no idea what minimum wall thickness could be, but I would think a manufacturer is going to err on the side of safety/liability issue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
20"
.625" gas block journal, correct shoulder location for installing handguard cap and FSB
Correct profile, to include the flange that creates a shoulder for the flash hider
Pick a twist rate.

As mentioned, nobody is doing a 14.7" carbine barrel with the correct specs, and it would sell well for lightweight modern builds too.  It also needs the flange at the shoulder for the flash hider.

For the purists who are putting together a 601, they will either find an original, have one made, or re-profile an existing barrel.

I'm not interested in any of the barrel profiles that most are, since I like oddball stuff like the 605, as well as the XM177E2, which there are already barrels for.

The 12.5" barrel fro XM177E2 pinned and welded would probably sell well, since it's the most popular carbine to build, but there is a major hurdle in getting BS ATF approval for an 11.5" barrel and Constitutional violating registration demands for your lower to be engraved.  They also don't look quite right with the barrel length proportion and moderator:

A drop-in XM177E2 look-alike would be a major win, and even the bad examples of that iconic carbine sell well.  It has no bayonet lug, lightweight profile, .625" FSB, flanged FH shoulder, grenade launcher front bracket retaining ring, and 4.5" moderator/flash hider.  A 5" moderator with a 12" barrel would look more correct than an 11.5" with a 5.5" moderator, or a 12.5" with a 4.5" moderator.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be thrilled to purchase two 14.7" barrels as posted above so long as they are chorme lined, have a twist rate of at least 1/9(Prefer 1/7) and are true to the original pencil profile.

I'm also interested in at least one 20" barrel with a 1/9 twist but the AR15 sport barrel will probably fit that need for the price they offer it at.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are there barrel extensions being manufactured that AREN'T M4 feed ramped?
View Quote

Commercial producers do seem to want to standardize on the ramped carbine versions, since they can be used with either rifle or carbine upper receivers.

There are still M16A4 rifles being produced, and the milspec for those is rifle receiver and rifle barrel extension meaning no M4 ramps; however, any manufacturer with a military contract would have no problem commissioning a special run of rifle receiver extensions to fill that contract, either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Commercial producers do seem to want to standardize on the ramped carbine versions, since they can be used with either rifle or carbine upper receivers.

There are still M16A4 rifles being produced, and the milspec for those is rifle receiver and rifle barrel extension meaning no M4 ramps; however, any manufacturer with a military contract would have no problem commissioning a special run of rifle receiver extensions to fill that contract, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know a source for the engineering print for a standard M16 extension? I have M4 types but not the M16.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you know a source for the engineering print for a standard M16 extension? I have M4 types but not the M16.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send me your email and I will send you a copy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, I replied.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks, I replied.
View Quote

Like others said, I wish you guys could offer lightweight 20" barrels with a front sight base already installed. I was considering the ar15sport barrel but I've heard such good things about yours I want to wait. I also read you either do our did supply some OEM 6940 barrels? That's a huge feather in your hat to me!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks, I replied.
View Quote

Drawing sent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Like others said, I wish you guys could offer lightweight 20" barrels with a front sight base already installed. I was considering the ar15sport barrel but I've heard such good things about yours I want to wait. I also read you either do our did supply some OEM 6940 barrels? That's a huge feather in your hat to me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks, I replied.

I can't confirm or deny the 6940 thing... but I do have one in my gun room that I didn't have to go through normal channels to get. Anyway, I've never gotten into FSB's mainly because the retail type barrels are an off-shoot from my contract (OEM) stuff and those guys all use and install their own. But, much like getting some M16 extensions made up, I could probably do some of the FSB's.  I've only built a couple AR's, most of all mine are factory types so I would imagine there's a pretty wide array of different FSB's that guys want. I would have to stick to just a couple of types. I can see where it would be a bitch to put on the pinned style at home in the garage. Maybe if I just focused on the retro barrel first it would be a good start? I would imagine the "A" frame type front sight would need to have correct forging numbers or other details. Who do you guys buy those from? Are there current repro's made?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I am getting ready to tool up a FSB drill fixture. I just have to find a cheap flat top upper that I can destroy, lol. Granted it is easier to send the barrel and FSB to someone else to mount, but I like the cchallenge of doing it myself. And as I have a semi-background in manual and robotic fixture design, I enjoy stuff that doesn't have the production line pressure involved.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks, I replied.

Pretty sure they made some M16A4 barrels as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, what's the problem with these??? http://jtdistributing.net/store/page120.html
View Quote

WHOA! Thanks for that link. I've always wanted a couple of thos style barrels and did not know anyone made them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Any update from the OP, or have they even checked this thread I wonder??
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#29]
What about these barrels? Never heard of them til someone posted this link on FB in one of the gun pages: http://www.tntesales.com/m16a1-5-56-barrel-assembly-1-12/

Kind of expensive IMO, getting close to a Colt C MP CHROME BORE barrel price, & has M4 feed ramps unfortunately. Is 1/12 & chrome lined.

I wonder who the manufacture is? The 3rd picture showing the markings has a G in the markings on the barrels.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What about these barrels? Never heard of them til someone posted this link on FB in one of the gun pages: http://www.tntesales.com/m16a1-5-56-barrel-assembly-1-12/

Kind of expensive IMO, getting close to a Colt C MP CHROME BORE barrel price, & has M4 feed ramps unfortunately. Is 1/12 & chrome lined.

I wonder who the manufacture is? The 3rd picture showing the markings has a G in the markings on the barrels.
View Quote

g = green mountain doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

As far as I know, yes.

You can get those barrels cheaper at AR15Sport. The barrel I have from Ar15sport looks exactly like the one from TNT, down to the markings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I don't know, does not say who made them & I did not know if the green mountain barrels were marked in anyway.

Pretty dang expensive FSB mounting job if it is green mountain, since they're $159.95 on GM website.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah I don't know, does not say who made them & I did not know if the green mountain barrels were marked in anyway.

Pretty dang expensive FSB mounting job if it is green mountain, since they're $159.95 on GM website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

adco charges $90 to install + $15 upgrade to taper pins + $35 for a front sight base from fulton armory so add
that to $159.95 and you're at $300 and that doesn't include shipping. if you can drill yourself you will save money.
maybe better off holding out for a colt barrel.

i am considering this g barrel for am "LM" 603 upper, thanks for posting the link.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

adco charges $90 to install + $15 upgrade to taper pins + $35 for a front sight base from fulton armory so add
that to $159.95 and you're at $300 and that doesn't include shipping. if you can drill yourself you will save money.

i am considering this g barrel for am "LM" 603 upper, thanks for posting the link.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you use ADCO. John Thomas offers the same service for considerably cheaper & of the same quality IMO. Not saying ADCO isn't any good, cause I have used them for things in the past & been very pleased with the work, just that there are other options.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you use ADCO. John Thomas offers the same service for considerably cheaper & of the same quality IMO. Not saying ADCO isn't any good, cause I have used them for things in the past & been very pleased with the work, just that there are other options.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Brace, known as Braceman on this site, will mount a FSB for only $40!  

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#36]
do either of these guys have a website? or do i just pm them here? i hate the idea
of spending that much money thats why i haven't bought the gm barrel yet. usually
when i buy colt 603 uppers i pay around 450 complete minus bolt carrier group, so
it is a hard pill to swallow paying 300 bucks for a clone barrel. thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
do either of these guys have a website? or do i just pm them here? i hate the idea
of spending that much money thats why i haven't bought the gm barrel yet. usually
when i buy colt 603 uppers i pay around 450 complete minus bolt carrier group, so
it is a hard pill to swallow paying 300 bucks for a clone barrel. thanks for any info.
View Quote

Yes, this is John Thomas website: http://retroarmsworks.com/, or you can IM/e-mail him here under username : jntmjt1

As far as I know John Brace does not have a website, so IM/e-mail him here under username: braceman
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes, this is John Thomas website: http://retroarmsworks.com/, or you can IM/e-mail him here under username : jntmjt1

As far as I know John Brace does not have a website, so IM/e-mail him here under username: braceman
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info, i will check out jt's website. i have lurked here for a long time i have seen some of jt & bracemans
work just never knew how to contact them. thanks again
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top