Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2014 3:38:21 AM EDT
A few years ago I bought a case of tracers from CTD. Dated 1968 and the can is dated 1969.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool conversation piece, not too many places to shoot tracers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm.... It is a felony for us in Kalifornistan to possess even one tracer.  When I was doing gunshows in the late 80s to early 90s, the dealer at the next table had loose collector ammo.  They handcuffed him and confiscated everything on his tables.  Just an old retired guy making some extra bucks.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI, this ammo is the reason the M16 was known and said to be UNreliable.

P This ammo pops primers left in right in my brothers gun. He has had them lock up the gun by getting into the chamber, FCG, and barrel extension. He also brought out a magazine to the range and noticed it was rattle...with several primers in it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Conventional wisdom was that it was a bad idea to shoot tracers without following up immediately with a FMJ; reputedly some of the phosphorous would remain in the bore and perhaps cause damage.
With the current concern about wildfires, I'd be damned careful about shooting it in any case.
Moon
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I stacked this stuff deep a couple of years ago. Some people report problems, but I have had none.
Shot around 2000 rounds so far. About 1 or 2 out of 100 fails to trace.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some SHTF mags loaded with ss109, tracer, mk262, ss109, tracer, mk262, etc, etc. I have shot thousands of tracers over the years and never had a problem other than a FTF once in a blue moon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I should have bought some of that when they were around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm.... It is a felony for us in Kalifornistan to possess even one tracer.  When I was doing gunshows in the late 80s to early 90s, the dealer at the next table had loose collector ammo.  They handcuffed him and confiscated everything on his tables.  Just an old retired guy making some extra bucks.....
View Quote

Coming soon to a fun show near you...
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top