Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2014 9:50:42 AM EDT

Before ^
Now v

I had the opportunity to buy a lower through a friend so I jumped on it, then found an SP1 upper on gb. Its still a mixmaster but its still my favorite AR to shoot. Its got a doublestar barrel that I dont mind running steel case through (I wouldnt do that to a colt barrel) so I shoot it more. I think it looks good. I just got done sighting it in, great shooter. The stock isnt colt but its been worked to look like it pretty well.

Its the first Colt lower Ive ever owned, even though I bought a Bushmaster XM15 ten years ago I can finally say I own an AR-15, Im happy enough about that I changed my avatar to the rollmark
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
So you're saying you now have a spare lower to dedicate to a new project?  NIce gat.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you're saying you now have a spare lower to dedicate to a new project?  NIce gat.
View Quote

Yes, yes I do. I've got everything I need for that project, but it's going to get sent to ident.  Thanks, I love how light that rifle is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Verrrrrrrry nice!
I have your gun's first cousin, just completed putting this one together a couple months ago, closely duplicating mine as I carried in Vietnam.
1975 Colt SP1 lower and upper. I had to switch out/replace the buttstock, grip, sling, flash hider, and mag.
The 'waffle' mag is a period-correct non-functioning dummy, from nodak spud. All else is totally functional. Been to the range several times. Many favorable comments from fellow shooters.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
'waffle' mag is a period-correct non-functioning dummy, from nodak spud.
View Quote

That can easily be corrected you know.

Nice SP1s, carbine and rifle versions.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Uh, yeah. You're supposed to put a spring and follower in it.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, yes I do. I've got everything I need for that project, but it's going to get sent to ident.  Thanks, I love how light that rifle is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That 604 upper you took off sure looks like my new one......
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

precisely my good man
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]

I hope mine will turn out just as nice as yours OP!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Thanks. a friends dad had an SP1 carbine when we were in HS and it was the first AR I ever shot. I still remember it. We were shooting my buddies SKS and his dad walked out with the Colt and some loaded mags and pretty much just said "here, you kids play with this" and wondered off. It turned out to be a great afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks great! I was lucky enough to find this original carbine recently - right time, right place, right amount in the gun fund. I keep telling myself it's an investment.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That looks great! I was lucky enough to find this original carbine recently - right time, right place, right amount in the gun fund. I keep telling myself it's an investment.

http://www.narruc.net/Public/pix/sp1-1.jpg

http://www.narruc.net/Public/pix/sp1-2.jpg

View Quote

Nice!

And investment for your children maybe
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My long lost love was a Colt AR15 SP1 Carbine I bought in about 1987, and registered in 1989 under the Roberti-Roos law in Kalifornistan.  It was my pet until 1999/2000 when I had to sell it to pay bills after I was forced out in a disability retirement from the Sheriff's Office in 1998.  With Kalifornistan laws being what they are, I could never replace it with a Colt, but had to do clones on an "Off List Lower".  I think my 602 clone may just fill the void - almost.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the accuracy on that doublestar barrel?

I am trying to convince myself not to spend the extra $60 for a Daniel Defense barrel instead.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How is the accuracy on that doublestar barrel?

I am trying to convince myself not to spend the extra $60 for a Daniel Defense barrel instead.
View Quote

Ive never really benched it and to be honest, for me to try to shoot a group with irons instead of optics isnt going to product the best results.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks familiar!
Close-up of my 1975 rifle receiver.
Hmmm... should mine have the screw-cap front take-down pin, like the carbine?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looks familiar!
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/shooting/Semi-auto%20rifles/rcvr-close-up_s-n1_zps0093a5cb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks familiar!
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr195/beeker77/shooting/Semi-auto%20rifles/rcvr-close-up_s-n1_zps0093a5cb.jpg

yep, the one you have on there is aftermarket.  they were pretty popular since it allowed disassembly without 2 screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

yep, the one you have on there is aftermarket.  they were pretty popular since it allowed disassembly without 2 screwdrivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks familiar!

Are those pins still available from anywhere? I'd like to get one for my carbine (and keep the original labeled and put away, of course).

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are those pins still available from anywhere? I'd like to get one for my carbine (and keep the original labeled and put away, of course).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks familiar!

Maybe you two could just trade
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
i wouldnt mind having one also.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top