Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2014 2:32:01 PM EDT
I had originally intended to use the partial fence lower I have to build a RLL capable XM607 clone. Lately I've given more thought to building up an XM609 as it seems like the parts will be easier to locate. I already have a partial fence NDS lower, correct matching NDS upper, and the matching charging handle. What is the best and easiest way to get the right parts to build an XM609? Two important things to mention. I am fine with doing this as an SBR. Also I want the gun to look correct but don't need every last minute detail to be perfect.

Also the final and most important question... if the gun is sent to a smith to relieve the receiver and modify the bolt carrier, will the 10" barrel be reliable in full auto? On the retroblackrifle website it mentions that the 10" barrel was dropped due to reliability issues. I love the look of the 10" barrel but definitely want something that will be reliable.

Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine runs AWESOME! Some others will be along shortly for more input?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, very nice! Any suggestions on where to get the parts to put something like it together? Have you run yours in auto or only in semi?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Semi Auto. I got the stock from Essential Arms. Paid a local machine shop to reprofile and shorten the barrel. Equipment exchange and Nodak Spud for everything else.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also the final and most important question... if the gun is sent to a smith to relieve the receiver and modify the bolt carrier, will the 10" barrel be reliable in full auto? On the retroblackrifle website it mentions that the 10" barrel was dropped due to reliability issues. I love the look of the 10" barrel but definitely want something that will be reliable.
View Quote

This is my 10.5" RLL host:

Factory Bushmaster 10.5 "heavy machinegun barrel" upper, with a Bushmaster lower, telestock and standard carbine buffer.  Runs flawlessly both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Whether you'll be able to get your 10" reliable?  Dunno - can depend on the ammo you run, and a LOT on the gas port sizing.  Unfortunately, Bushmaster does not offer this particular upper for sale anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
That's not retro but it's nice. It's a shame that BM doesn't make the upper anymore. I read a post from a few years ago that mentioned RRA would build an upper if I call them. Also it seems LMT makes a nice 10.5" upper. I guess it's pretty hard to get though. I'm going to call RRA tomorrow and inquire. Thanks a lot for the info.

It seems like building a retro XM609 might take a little while. From what I can tell, the parts will probably need to be picked up at places along the way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
J&T makes a 10.5" light weight barrel here
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It seems like building a retro XM609 might take a little while. From what I can tell, the parts will probably need to be picked up at places along the way.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top