Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2014 11:22:55 AM EDT
Hey,

I've been writing for GunUp the Magazine (www.gunup.com) for about a year. The magazine has a "Black Rifle" issue coming up in a few months and I'd like to pitch an article to my editor on "Retro AR Builds."

The thing is, I only have one "sorta correct" rifle myself - A M16A1 clone, I bought, but the builder inexplicably used a Canadian upper with a brass deflector for the build.

Any of you retro builders here willing to help me out by sharing photos of your rifles we can publish and talking to me (via chat or e-mail) about the details of your build, etc?

I'd like to do an overview article that includes "Why retro?," sources for NOS parts, repro parts, and custom work (like retro lowers or 80% lower finishing and engraving). I'd also like about 8 or 10 good photos of different retro builds of different variations.

I've got a couple weeks before I have to pitch this to my editor. I just want to know if I can get enough help to actually put the article together before I pitch it formally.

What say you?

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be very interested in helping you out.  I have multiple online photo albums and can give specs on guns that I have built.  I have replicas of prototypes, 601 through 610, plus a few other oddballs.

You can email me directly at [email protected] if you would like my assistance or have specific questions.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I too would like John to help you out!  

He would be in the top tier here in the forum - knowledge, skill, history, builds, photos, custom work - Let us know when the issue goes out!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be willing to help out as well if there's some info or photo you need.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
E-mail sent to John,

TexSquirrel, can you IM me or e-mail me at reedrob1 at hotmail.com so I have your contact info?

The article isn't due for a few months yet and I have other articles to finish first. I just wanted to see if people were interested in helping before I pitched it to my editor.

It looks like it would work so I'll plan to pitch it to relatively soon. It may be a couple months before I actively start working on it though, so don't worry if you don't hear from me for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
One of JT's masterpieces is gonna grace your cover.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in. I built an XM16E1 and an XM177E2.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in. I built an XM16E1 and an XM177E2.
View Quote

Send me your contact info.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]

There are some very good examples here, looking forward to seeing it.

Guess I better buy up all the original parts that I want before this thing goes mainstream, they're sure to dry up sooner or later anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Guess I better buy up all the original parts that I want before this thing goes mainstream, they're sure to dry up sooner or later anyway.
View Quote

You've got awhile. The article isn't due for several months and then there is a lag between deadline and publication.

Plus, I haven't even got the editor to approve it yet. I just wanted to make sure it was doable before I pitched the idea. (I have had other article ideas die due to lack of available resources/info and/or photos).
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in .
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be willing to contribute pics of both my M231 clone build and my photos of the actual M231 I was issued as "inspiration to realization."  

And before you ask - if you hit the "Email user" button if and when you want, I'll get it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You've got awhile. The article isn't due for several months and then there is a lag between deadline and publication.

Plus, I haven't even got the editor to approve it yet. I just wanted to make sure it was doable before I pitched the idea. (I have had other article ideas die due to lack of available resources/info and/or photos).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of resources/info/photos will NOT be a problem. There are enough knowledgeable individuals in this forum to supply enough info/pics to fill volumes. I am constantly amazed by the knowledge base of a handfull of "old timers". (not neccessarily old, but old hands at retro)
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
if you need specific pictures of parts, i have a lot of parts and can cover most of the timeline.  some new in package if you want pics of those as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Great. Now we'll NEVER be able to find parts... Seriously, more power to you, but I kind of wish our little secret had remained a secret a few more years... I would definitely buy a copy just to see pics of what folks have here. I would like to say however, that we don't know you very well, and I would hope that guys would vet you a bit before sending you pics of what they have via email. Just thinking careful you know?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I just took my xm apart !  OP I can help with a beat up looking m16?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great. Now we'll NEVER be able to find parts... Seriously, more power to you, but I kind of wish our little secret had remained a secret a few more years... I would definitely buy a copy just to see pics of what folks have here. I would like to say however, that we don't know you very well, and I would hope that guys would vet you a bit before sending you pics of what they have via email. Just thinking careful you know?
View Quote

Hopefully increased interest will push demand past the point where it's economical for more than just NDS to make uppers and lowers for us.  Perhaps even far enough for aluminum stocks!

I've got an SBR GAU-5A/A, early R604 and a late R603 I could contribute as well as the wife's 16" R653 in black as an example of using more modern bits to make a retro clone.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No problem. I'm not going to ask for specific photos until the editor approves the idea.

I've been on the site for about a dozen years, although I think I've only posted in the retro forum once or twice.

The April issue of GunUp the Magazine has my article on the Tommy Gun featured on the cover if anyone wants to check it out.

: Timeline Photos
By GunUp the Magazine
GunUp the Magazine, just the way you want it!
Get the App! - http://gunupthemagazine.com/get-the-app/
Get it in Print! -http://shop.gunupmag.com/
Get it straight to your email! -http://gunupthemagazine.com/landing.html

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Ahhh, I read through this magazine recently while waiting for some ammo at Walmart. Small World....
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
We are all gunna be famous !
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#20]
If I can help let me know.

I have lots of parts and whatnots.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't wait. Lots of smart fellas on this forum with tons of talent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't wait. Lots of smart fellas on this forum with tons of talent.
View Quote

Yes. Definitely picked a good starting point!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to admit that that was my first thought when I read the title, as well (with a bit of profanity sprinkled in).  Pics and such would be cool, but damn, part costs are already in the stratosphere.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you see the sun rise? Yes Magnum, I did... Wasn't that the "Ivan", Bo Svensen episode?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a bump to keep this from going into the archive yet.

I'm headed to NRA con and I'm going to follow up with my editor when I return.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top