BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya'll please be safe and have some fun for me.  I'm gonna be "down in the boondocks" shooting single fire rounds (longer than 2.26in) out of my new rifle build seeing if current powder charge / bullet weight equals accuracy in particular DCM barrel without beer or babes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya'll please be safe and have some fun for me.  I'm gonna be "down in the boondocks" shooting single fire rounds (longer than 2.26in) out of my new rifle build seeing if current powder charge / bullet weight equals accuracy in particular DCM barrel without beer or babes.
View Quote

I must be going to the wrong KC as I don't know if I've ever seen more than 2 "babes" in any one year.   The guns are good though, and tailgating isn't bad as long as it isn't monsoon season, which it usually is.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
We slobs who couldn't make it would appreciate a goodie report on what's for sale on the tables.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We slobs who couldn't make it would appreciate a goodie report on what's for sale on the tables.
View Quote

That's the first place I'm hitting, I've only been one other time almost 10 years ago and it's prolly a lot different now than it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's the first place I'm hitting, I've only been one other time almost 10 years ago and it's prolly a lot different now than it used to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HipShOT, it was a better show 10 years ago than what it is now.......well.......maybe.   It dropped waaaaay off right after 911, then has picked back up some, but it is not the "hayday" that it used to be. Cost of ammy has a lot of the shooters limiting their shooting, or not coming at all. The flame thrower folks don't show up anymore. You're lucky to see one minigun show up, where as there used to be 4 or 5 . The anti-aircraqft quad 50 doesn't come anymore. Just a sign of the times I guess.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

HipShOT, it was a better show 10 years ago than what it is now.......well.......maybe.   It dropped waaaaay off right after 911, then has picked back up some, but it is not the "hayday" that it used to be. Cost of ammy has a lot of the shooters limiting their shooting, or not coming at all. The flame thrower folks don't show up anymore. You're lucky to see one minigun show up, where as there used to be 4 or 5 . The anti-aircraqft quad 50 doesn't come anymore. Just a sign of the times I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was 3 miniguns and the quad 50 last time I was there....That sucks, there's nothing like the quad .50 when its blazing away. Was looking forward to that too...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope to see you guys at noon of Friday for lunch!

Brick
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
We may have to improvise a tent.   Looks like a wet day ahead.

I will have the 601 m231 tanker on my back.
Should set me apart for sure.

Fwiw. I'm at my hotel and already could have spent about 8 k in the parking lot.    
It's looking like I want to sell one of my 601 clones to buy a shrike.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There were 2 colt m16a1,s for 24k today in original shape.  Also there was a paws rr for
Missed out on a dummy 60mm mortar round. At 100 I said too much
But I am a sucker for collecting misc ordnance.  Someone bought it before got back. That fact
Alone makes me want more

After looking at a shrike.   Not having standard parts would bother me. A lot.  

But if you want a just want ubelt fed 223 I a
Say get the paws rr and the shrike
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
well....

Retro forum demands AAR.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't make it down until almost 4:00.  Found a few retro items, bought 5 GP straps.

Also picked up 5 Glock 19 mags for $5 each! Korean, but if they work I don't care.

I did see the guy with the American flag A1 though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
well....

Retro forum demands AAR.

Pics or it didn't happen.

View Quote

....some of the "retro" gang.   I'm wearing the low vis orange.  Jhud could make a decent living as a chef if his free lancing ever gets old. Also, notice the proper trigger control everyone exhibited.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn...looks like you guys had some fine weather for it, too!
I'm jealous, but I'm glad at least some of the brethren were able to gather!

I hope everyone made it home safe, broke and happy!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]
good to put some faces on the screennames.  glad the weather held up for you guys.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
good to put some faces on the screennames.  glad the weather held up for you guys.
View Quote

Lionel, after snapping a couple pics I forgot to ask if anyone objected to having their mug posted. That is why I pointed out only myself. I'll let individuals ID themselves if they want, or remove the pics if someone should request. I hope no one feels violated by the post.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lionel, after snapping a couple pics I forgot to ask if anyone objected to having their mug posted. That is why I pointed out only myself. I'll let individuals ID themselves if they want, or remove the pics if someone should request. I hope no one feels violated by the post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can do the specops black boxes across their eyes if they opt out.  kinda like

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

you can do the specops black boxes across their eyes if they opt out.  kinda like

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Good seeing a retro get together - something I've been saying we've needed to do for years. Looks like decent weather for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm wearing the camo pullover and the wife is on my left, good group of guys there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a blast and enjoyed getting to meet all you guys.
I am the one with my avatar on my shirt..,
Shark, his wife, and me enjoyed the show Saturday night from the bleachers. The 2nd night shoot was hot.. I had to cover my face from the heat.

The Huey ride was pretty fun .

I am kind of curious about the SAR show in Arizona this year (December).  I will probably take a plane flight to than one.
After getting into collecting inert , dummy, and just nice display pieces , dummy me (no pun) walked past a nice 60mm mortar round and Nazi flag.
I hope I find another mortar, that was rarer than the flag. I had never seen one before
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Crap! I think I'm older than all of yall!

(Except for maybe Stoner!)
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gee............thanks.  Come to think of it, most of those guys are young enough to be my kids.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No one that I have talked to in central Illinois is heading there.  I usually fly (private aircraft) to the airport and rent a car.  I was there for the past 3 shoots.  Probably going to sit this one out.

Bob
View Quote

to another fellow central IL retrohead

Nice pics, Id like to go someday.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shark, his wife, and me enjoyed the show Saturday night from the bleachers. The 2nd night shoot was hot.. I had to cover my face from the heat.

I am kind of curious about the SAR show in Arizona this year (December).  I will probably take a plane flight to than one.
After getting into collecting inert , dummy, and just nice display pieces , dummy me (no pun) walked past a nice 60mm mortar round and Nazi flag.
I hope I find another mortar, that was rarer than the flag. I had never seen one before
View Quote

where was that at?

I kept seeing it around, but couldn't figure out where to go to ride it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

At the area where tickets are sold, the road splits, one branch goes to the range, the other branch to the left goes to the campground area and the staging area for the helicopter.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where was that at?

At the area where tickets are sold, the road splits, one branch goes to the range, the other branch to the left goes to the campground area and the staging area for the helicopter.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

about the only place I didn't look. How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where was that at?

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

One bill.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

One bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where was that at?

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

One bill.

Did that include shooting an M60 out the side door?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

where was that at?

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

One bill.

$1?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#29]

OK............100 bills.   100 bucks  one Franklin
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what you are trying to say is it cost a Bennie - Yes?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, I knew what you were talking about. Just being goofy. I really am in the wrong business though, after a few years you could pay for the thing by charging that much.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Gee............thanks.  Come to think of it, most of those guys are young enough to be my kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a few could be as old as my eldest too Bro. Don't feel all alone!

But at least you have a lovely young bride Stoner!

Glad yall had fun!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Stoner,,after chatting with member PrivateSnafu (some know him as gb seller MX56) for his "after action report" I was informed that the quad .50 was owned by Kent Lamont.. Kent passed away a couple/3 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stoner,,after chatting with member PrivateSnafu (some know him as gb seller MX56) for his "after action report" I was informed that the quad .50 was owned by Kent Lamont.. Kent passed away a couple/3 years ago.
View Quote

m1sniper.........thank you for that information. I did not know that Kent passed away. I was acutely aware that his location in the vendors area has not been occupied by him for several years.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#35]
L-O-mont
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Lookin good Louis!  Feeling good Billy Ray!   Looks like a grand ole time.  I'd say most of my kids are older than most of ya'll.  Youngest godson (21) did just finish Marine boot.  Won't be long and he'll be accepting manly responsibilities.  Hope I keep breathing long enough to make it out to KC in near future.  Usually turns out great when the bad weather person is wrong.  If I'm not older I sure look it. What hasn't fallen out sure is retro Colt grey but grass doesn't usually grow on a busy street.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#37]
I am the guy in the green shirt and khaki pants next to Jhud.  I did pretty well this trip locating something retro I needed, I found two 601 / 602 front sight bases.  My 601 and 602 will have a cast sight base now!  I did get to see that lovely 601 stock set Dean Lucy has for sale (I had to wipe the drool of of his glass case!).

Other than that, retro and AK parts were scarce.  Attendance was definitely down, it was easy to through the isles.  

My friend who came with told me about Mr. Lomont.  His widow was set up in the barn and was selling off his transferables and posties. In the years I have been going, I have never seen the quad 50s at the creek.

Brick
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#38]
yeah, the quad setup was pretty neat to watch.  Someone else that hasn't come in several years was the couple that had the M274 Mule with twin 50's on one mount (mounted on the rear I think), with a single .50 at the other end, with I tihnk 2 .30 cal machine guns low mounted. They would park parallel to the range, near the entrance end of the covered line. If they happened to pop off the .50's simultaneously it looked like the mule was going to roll over. It would jump up on 2 wheels.
    Brick had asked me if I got my parkerizing set-up running. That led me to saying something about the guy that used to show up with the trailer that had several different finishing processes. He used to park just to the right front of what is now the vendors building. Back then it wasn't a pole barn, just big tents.  Anyone remember him?    If it was cold out the steam would roll out the back of the trailer like it was on fire. He probably died of smoke inhalation and that's why he's a no-show now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm the one in the brown hat lurking in the back, much like I lurk here.

I had more fun than I would have. The show was alright, but it turned out to be a nice day weather wise and I got to spend some of it with some great people. Heck, I wish I'd spent the whole weekend out there wandering around. Would have been better than my weekend at home.

I think the ordnance bug bit me while I was there though. Picked up some live M18 smokes and now I want a whole case of them.

Quoted:
I did pretty well this trip locating something retro I needed, I found two 601 / 602 front sight bases.  My 601 and 602 will have a cast sight base now!
View Quote

I'm glad somebody who knew what they were got them. I should have picked up one of those edgewaters they had.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#40]
No mud? No Rain? THAT'S NOT KNOB CREEK!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was pretty muddy on the lower end, pretty good sized puddles standing on the range. They ended up being the primary target for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Last knobber the huey rides were $100 per person.  They had a second huey You could sit the kids on..  I rarely go to the knob unless I am short on something and need it like yesterday...but the MG shoot & show is pretty dang good.. And being 30 miles form my back door is always a plus.
 I was there friday all day and went back saturday with  mini-me and the wife. Saturday the crowd was very pronounced with 'tourist types" and this I attribute to the goofy TV show. I also attribute the raised entry fee to $15 to the show as they can get away with it. I don't think I'll do a second day there again. I got my surplus projos , powders & some bits and mags I was looking for. Saw alot of common things with unusual nosebleed prices. I saw a pair of new marpat BGU pants with a $175 price...wtf ?. The local surplus stores around Knox have them for a fraction of that. Hell my neighbor when he got back from A'stan in jan 2011 he gave me several sets of new and used marpat Bdu's.  One fellow had 22 rimfire tracer for $20 per 50 rds and another for $40 per 50 ?. One dealer had a several dozen 500 count Rem and federal 22's at $65 and $80 respectively...gouging a little maybe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Fall shoot typically has a lot more rain and mud.  There had been rain a few days before the shoot and it was very evident in the low spots.  But, it helped keep the dust down.  Several times at Knob Creek the dust on the windshield was too thick to see through.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top