Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
flats + NDS lower = win
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
While Chuck at GunLab.net is doing stuff like this

I'm doing stuff like this

Just playing on my mill and using some square tubing that a friend gave me.

I'm actually hoping to make a 9mm version similar to this

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Joined the club today.  Need to get the green paint off.  BHO is intact.  I need to find an original mag.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Joined the club today.  Need to get the green paint off.  BHO is intact.  I need to find an original mag.

http://imageshack.us/a/img633/7590/2wUaPM.jpg

View Quote

Find the person who rattle canned that furniture. I don't care what it takes. Get a second job, deliver news papers, play the lottery, sell girl scout cookies, hell, take out a second mortgage. Find them, and the PUNCH THEM SQUARELY IN THE DICK!

Anyway, good job finding one with an intact BHO. How'd you do on price?

ETA: can you get some better pics up when you get a chance? Receiver ones.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Find the person who rattle canned that furniture. I don't care what it takes. Get a second job, deliver news papers, play the lottery, sell girl scout cookies, hell, take out a second mortgage. Find them, and the PUNCH THEM SQUARELY IN THE DICK!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$850 in the EE.  A 180 has been on my "to do" list for a while, and I figured the paint isn't a big deal.  It's wearing off.

Brought it over to Dad's house to show him, and he scratched his name into the paint when I wasn't looking and claimed it as his property.

This is the same man who jammed his thumb into my to-go container of leftover Thanksgiving stuffing so that I would open it and find it in such a state once I was two hours away.

The man is a genius.

Edit:  Receiver markings... later Sterling,

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the green paint looks kind of nice - Not original, but certainly not ugly.

5+ years ago these weren't as collectable and seen as an underdog compared to the AR15, Someone probably wanted to try a new look. I don't think it looks bad.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You could clean it off and have one just like everyone else's or you could carry it and shoot it and give a battle field pick up look. That would be bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Anyone have more pics of the trigger group internals ?

thanks

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]

I don't have any with all the internal parts removed from the gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't have any with all the internal parts removed from the gun.
View Quote

that's the pic that prompted me to ask.

is the hammer also stamped sheet metal ?

I know Stoner designed it to be easy/cheap to manufacture
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't think I am supposed to use this site to sell anything
View Quote
Can't sell in threads, has to be done in the "equipment exchange" http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/7_Equipment_Exchange.html or you can click on the orange button up and to the right a little on the top bar.

Here's the FAQ for using it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

that's the pic that prompted me to ask.

is the hammer also stamped sheet metal ?

I know Stoner designed it to be easy/cheap to manufacture
View Quote
It is!  

I've always liked the running gag that almost every part on the AR-18 can be made with a file and hacksaw.

On mine the sear wore down and started to double letting off the trigger.  Had a smith notch it out and weld in fresh barstock and re-profile it.  Works like a champ. Since the sear is part of the hammer like the AR-15, being folded sheet like that it doesn't have as much surface area to spread the wear out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll share my second home built 180 project.
I have the upper done to this point wire and clamps.
I can get the bolt to lock and unlock in the barrel extension smoothly.
Just need to dedicate some time to finish it up when life isn't in the way.

I'm using a mid length barrel AR-15 barrel for the build.
The mid length op rod was turned by me and had to move the gas block shoulder back about 3/16 of a inch to line up the gas port with the 180 FSB.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

$850 in the EE.  A 180 has been on my "to do" list for a while, and I figured the paint isn't a big deal.  It's wearing off.

Brought it over to Dad's house to show him, and he scratched his name into the paint when I wasn't looking and claimed it as his property.

http://imageshack.us/a/img540/2425/QG88sU.jpg

This is the same man who jammed his thumb into my to-go container of leftover Thanksgiving stuffing so that I would open it and find it in such a state once I was two hours away.

The man is a genius.

http://imageshack.us/a/img537/1953/39OSbH.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img540/2425/QG88sU.jpg

The man is a genius.

http://imageshack.us/a/img537/1953/39OSbH.jpg

That's funny right there. You made out like a bandit at $850. Factory mags are pretty rediculious price wise, converting AR mags is relatively simple. Also, I've been seeing runs of new production 40 rounders for $30.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It would be awesome if someone had a jig set up to make the right side cut in AR mags to convert them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Test fired today.  Shooting 2" high at 50 yds.  Not gonna mess with it.

Really need a 20 rounder.  The thirty is annoying.

Also, BHO would not disengage with a fresh mag inserted.  Have to drop the bolt, insert mag, then full pullback. Likely mag related.  Trying to drop the bolt with a fresh mag felt like dropping it on an empty one.

Most of the paint is off the grip now.  It's an annoying task.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, BHO would not disengage with a fresh mag inserted.  Have to drop the bolt, insert mag, then full pullback. Likely mag related.  Trying to drop the bolt with a fresh mag felt like dropping it on an empty one.

http://imageshack.us/a/img538/1339/3BO1c5.jpg

View Quote

How did you enjoy it?

I really like shooting my 180, for me personally it comes back on target better than an AR15. Im really hoping we see a modern production version someday soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to shave some meat off of the follower. There's some tutorials online. It's basically a 45 degree cut off of the back, top end. Takes five minutes with a file.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#20]
For those not too handy Pete Fleis in St Louis MO for a nominal fee has a jig all set up for cutting the AR-18/180 slot and notching the follower, as always first class workmanship is done by Pete Fleis a Class 3 mfg specializing in the AR-18/180.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You have to shave some meat off of the follower. There's some tutorials online. It's basically a 45 degree cut off of the back, top end. Takes five minutes with a file.

View Quote

You also have to shave some off of the spine of the magazine. That's probably why the BHO wont disengage.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How did you enjoy it?

I really like shooting my 180, for me personally it comes back on target better than an AR15. Im really hoping we see a modern production version someday soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you enjoy it?

Really enjoyed it.  Dad is hooked.  Might have to find him one.

I'm going to cease using these mags until they are properly fitted or replaced.  Can't risk a BHO break.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I'm impulsive.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been in your shoes before  

I still am in many ways.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like you found some twenty round mags. Is the second rifle also a Sterling?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Looks like you found some twenty round mags. Is the second rifle also a Sterling?
View Quote

Both Sterling, the new one much better fit and finish.  Came with five original mags and one high quality conversion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, I'm impulsive.

http://imageshack.us/a/img538/8674/3EIMzH.jpg

View Quote

Just saw this in the EE. I was curious about the "NorthMark" sight. Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Some pics of the new AR-180B lower parts.

http://ar180s.com/?p=581
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Rix,
  That looks amazing! I'll probably be dropping you an email soon if you don't mind i'm back on the hunt again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#30]
The cleanist Sterling (AR180 of any flavor really) I have ever scene was spotted at fun show this weekend. BHO and hinge are GTG, the welds don't look like a hack job and it literally looks fresh out of the box. Asking $1400, can probably get it down to $1300. I would fo if I REALLY wanted an AR180 and didn't have one already.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a request of the owners of Howa 180's with serial numbers under 1000. You know the ones that started life as AR-18's.

I can not for the life of me find any pictures of the area on the bottom of the upper receiver where the auto sear was removed.

I expect t find a couple things, the ears were cut off and that should be apparent, and the welded ends at the rear of the receiver are overlapped.

My research indicates that AR-180 upper receivers were butt welded and the rear of the AR-18's were overlapped then welded.

You can just make out the extra thickness of the area in question in this picture of an AR-18

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Does this help?

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Not what I was expecting to see.

Looks like they cut out the section with the ears and welded a new plate in.

Cool. Thanks and I hope some others might have pics so we can make sure it is not an anomaly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:57:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not what I was expecting to see.

Looks like they cut out the section with the ears and welded a new plate in.

Cool. Thanks and I hope some others might have pics so we can make sure it is not an anomaly.
View Quote

No worries.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Let me look this weekend at mine, I've got ser#29X and I don't remember mine looking like that. I think it has the ears, I can't check until Saturday though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Rincon11's obviously had the ears at one time. You can tell by the notch next to where the plate has been welded in.

If some came with ears intact that would certainly explain why many of the Howa's went to Ireland as full auto guns. Add AR-18 parts and they are ready to rock and roll.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Howa made.  Love this rifle.  Ultimate in RETRO!!

" />

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Receiver....5 digit.  Can someone give me a year of Mfg?
(')>

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/37thguy/AR180%20upper_zpsaj3ynk9i.jpg(')>  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg521/37thguy/AR180%20upper_zpsaj3ynk9i.jpg(')>  

From page two.

Quoted:
Copied many years ago.  Would give credit if I knew who to give it to!

"Costa Mesa rifles:
S0001-S00012 July 1969 12 rifles
S0014-S0050 no date 37 rifles
S0030 no date 1 rifle
S0077 no date 1 rifle
S0101-S4067 no date 3967 rifle
TOTAL 4018 rifles

Howa rifles
X000001-X000012 Oct 1970 12 rifles
S000001-S001000 no date 1000 rifles
S10001-S12915 Feb 1974 2915 rifles
TOTAL 3927 rifles

Sterling rifles
S15001-S27363 1979-1985 12,362 rifles

Fairly vague, but that's the theme with these rifles.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Double tap.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a converted Sterling AR180, done right at the end in May 1986. One problem that many of the select fire rifles have is that the original design firing pin would pierce the primers on commercial primers when firing in full auto.  The firing pin was very pointy.  Not a problem on semi auto unless the tip of the firing pin chipped, as they were also prone to do and not a problem with hard military primers.  I just picked up a newly made firing pin, made out of titanium, that was made to a modified design Armalite came out with but never went into production with.  For the first time in the number of years that I have owned this fine rifle, I am now able to fire it using my reloads (same ones I use in an AC556 and a couple M16's) with soft primers and it is running flawlessly.  I've got a number of mags through it now without a hitch, something that was not possible before.  It will work as well with the semi auto AR180's.  

I love mine, and have an original Armalite scope for it as well.

Color me a happy shooter now!
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I have S0141 (or so)  in the back of the safe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#43]
#968 looks just like Rincon_11's.  However, I don't think that the rear of the receiver on AR-18's were overlapped and welded, but were just butt welded.  I think that the extra thickness you are seeing is the weld bead standing proud of the surface.  On #968 and Rincon_11's, the area forward of the cut out is butt welded and there is a weld bead there.  I believe that the area where the plate was welded to make the upper semi-auto was also just butt welded.  But, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Here are some photos I found at http://gunlab.net/ar-180-part-2/

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
#968 looks just like Rincon_11's.  However, I don't think that the rear of the receiver on AR-18's were overlapped and welded, but were just butt welded.  I think that the extra thickness you are seeing is the weld bead standing proud of the surface.  On #968 and Rincon_11's, the area forward of the cut out is butt welded and there is a weld bead there.  I believe that the area where the plate was welded to make the upper semi-auto was also just butt welded.  But, I could be wrong.
View Quote

I've actually seen the original blueprints and noted that the AR-18's were overlapped and the AR-180's were butt welded.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've actually seen the original blueprints and noted that the AR-18's were overlapped and the AR-180's were butt welded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't that make the receiver slightly taller on the side that was over-lapped, unless there was a step?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like a lot of variations in the early Howas. Nothing really surprises me. More like 'Who was working that day'. It would be interesting to see one with the ears still intact.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#48]
What is the point of the ears?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What is the point of the ears?
View Quote

The ears hold the auto sear. Unlike the M16 the full auto stuff is all contained in the upper.

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Here's Howa 29X. It has one ear
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top