Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to guess yes, due to the puzzle piece reference and the mag release fence - looks like the Flat Spot fence was chopped.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Was the lower from The Flat Spot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I built a 180 lower from a puzzle piece AR-15 lower that takes standard AR-15 mags and the FCG for a orphaned 180 upper I picked up...

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq28/cjwix/011_zpsd5842980.jpg

Also a upper that take a AR-15 barrel and extension...
It's been put back in the box until I get a TIG welder to finish it up...

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq28/cjwix/180bt_zps8hpcdn99.jpg

Building on from scratch isn't all that easy but it can be done in a home shop...

Was the lower from The Flat Spot?

Yes it was a Flat Spot lower with a tail welded on to lock into the 180 upper and a AR70 fixed stock...

Here is a video of my son shooting it and a couple other of my builds... The trigger is a lot better in this rifle than my factory Sterling...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXl35VfhjU[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  Yes it was a Flat Spot lower with a tail welded on to lock into the 180 upper and a AR70 fixed stock...

Here is a video of my son shooting it and a couple other of my builds... The trigger is a lot better in this rifle than my factory Sterling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXl35VfhjU
View Quote

http://www.TheFlatSpot.net
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
After more reading, I think I've narrowed down my plan. I believe I'll buy a 180B to start with (run $900ish these days?), shoot it for a month or two, and if I like it I'll get an NDS metal lower to sub in (maybe with a drop-in AR trigger and other upgraded lower parts). Then if I'm still digging it and my turn in line comes up, I can send it to John at RGW to have a 14.5+1.5" barrel installed with a suppressor-compatible muzzle device, and we can work out some kind of cool-yet-retro minimalist short stock for it. Then at the end I can sell off all the remaining parts on the EE for anyone who likes playing puzzles.

I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy, so the lack of dustcover and whatnot doesn't bother me, so long as the B looks *more* minimalist/stripped than the trad, instead of being something modern with railz everywhere and all.

Is there any way to get a vaguely-retroish mount and scope without having to buy pricey collectible Armalite-specific stuff?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After more reading, I think I've narrowed down my plan. I believe I'll buy a 180B to start with (run $900ish these days?), shoot it for a month or two, and if I like it I'll get an NDS metal lower to sub in (maybe with a drop-in AR trigger and other upgraded lower parts). Then if I'm still digging it and my turn in line comes up, I can send it to John at RGW to have a 14.5+1.5" barrel installed with a suppressor-compatible muzzle device, and we can work out some kind of cool-yet-retro minimalist short stock for it. Then at the end I can sell off all the remaining parts on the EE for anyone who likes playing puzzles.

I'm not a stickler for historical accuracy, so the lack of dustcover and whatnot doesn't bother me, so long as the B looks *more* minimalist/stripped than the trad, instead of being something modern with railz everywhere and all.

Is there any way to get a vaguely-retroish mount and scope without having to buy pricey collectible Armalite-specific stuff?
View Quote

Nothing out there like the original scopes.

180B scope mounts would allow you to mount a scope of your choice and look retro ish.

I still have not run across a scope mount like this. Anyone else?

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Incremental progress: got an NDS18 lower and the AR180S lower parts kit. I've been trawling GunBroker and the other sites for like two months but with few exceptions people are asking high prices for 180Bs, almost as pricey as Sterlings. Then this morning my phone pinged me an auto-alert I set up on Armslist (love that feature) and within minutes I had a deal to buy a used 180B for $650 from a dealer in Arizona, so should have that shipped over shortly. Overall good shape though has the beginnings of the usual cracking on the front pivot, but I'm going to just sell the polymer lower on the EE (with full disclosure and photos) anyway so not a huge deal. He's also throwing in some mags, a Picatinny receiver rail from MWG, and a spare parts kit, so overall feeling I got an okay deal. I was just concerned that if I wait too long I'll smack into an Election Panic and everything black and evil will rocket in price, so glad that I'm getting the basics for my build early.

I'll plop it onto the NDS lower and shoot it full-length first, and once I'm sure I like this platform I'll make a cool 16" shorty based on the great ideas in this thread!
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My name is BigRix and I have a problem.

The problem is, not enough of the proper rifles to put these on.

But I am working on that.

Actually laying them all out like this in order of date of manufacture allows me to see some of the changes that occurred over time.

The thing that jumped out at me was the change in the ArmaLite logo from fine to a more wide line.

This occurred in the middle of the second run of scopes, those with 71 prefix serial numbers.

Fourth from the right is serial 711201 and it has the same font as the earlier first run scopes. Fifth from the right is serial 712116 and it has the same font as the last two, which are both from the third run. Third run scopes have no serial numbers.

I wonder if any of you have serial numbers between these two and you could post some pics or tell me if yours has thick or thin font.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s576.photobucket.com/user/BigRix/media/AR-180%20Scope/6B6F3EA8-20EB-4A95-8C5D-9F2DF22D3EB8_zpskfplffon.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/AR-180%20Scope/6B6F3EA8-20EB-4A95-8C5D-9F2DF22D3EB8_zpskfplffon.jpg</a>

Actually laying them all out like this in order of date of manufacture allows me to see some of the changes that occurred over time.

The thing that jumped out at me was the change in the ArmaLite logo from fine to a more wide line.

This occurred in the middle of the second run of scopes, those with 71 prefix serial numbers.

Fourth from the right is serial 711201 and it has the same font as the earlier first run scopes. Fifth from the right is serial 712116 and it has the same font as the last two, which are both from the third run. Third run scopes have no serial numbers.

I wonder if any of you have serial numbers between these two and you could post some pics or tell me if yours has thick or thin font.

<a href="http://s576.photobucket.com/user/BigRix/media/AR-180%20Scope/1EB2F4BC-F8EE-4A3D-AF2D-A960FB76A2F8_zpsvzm0aiyr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/AR-180%20Scope/1EB2F4BC-F8EE-4A3D-AF2D-A960FB76A2F8_zpsvzm0aiyr.jpg</a>

View Quote

You got it bad
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy scope rat hole Rix!!!

No wonder I cant find one for my 180's...
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my AR180B today! Used but in good shape, except one of the ears that protects the rear sight is bent (no other signs of damage) so I'll probably take a vice grips and a ton of padding and carefully bend it back. The fit between the upper and lower is a little loose and the top handguard has a little slop, but I'm going to be swapping it onto an NDS18 lower anyway and eventually putting on a waffled forend. It's 7lb stock, and a little muzzle heavy, but replacing the lower and a different stock will shift that. I plan to eventually replace the barrel with a better twist for shooting SMK, but in the short term I might just have the barrel cut back with just a little of the MB left as a shoulder and add a muzzle device. Overall not too bad for $650, given what folks on Gunbroker are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/AR-180%20Scope/6B6F3EA8-20EB-4A95-8C5D-9F2DF22D3EB8_zpskfplffon.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/AR-180%20Scope/1EB2F4BC-F8EE-4A3D-AF2D-A960FB76A2F8_zpsvzm0aiyr.jpg
View Quote

I KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS!!!  
WE AREN'T BEST FRIENDS!!!!

THAT is your problem!!!!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Holy shit `Rix.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I've almost got my AR180 just how I want in, then will take some photos and take it to the range:

- Ban-era fixed-MB AR180B
- NDS-18 aluminum lower
- Stormwerkz ACE stock adapter
- Stag LPK with the non-15 parts coming from AR180s.com (BHO and selector settup)
- Ace AKFX stock
- MWG Picatinny rail (came with used gun, using it for now but will later either just go irons or find a more retro mount)

I'm getting a Tango Down pistol grip, which doesn't look exactly authentic in texture but has that sharper Luger/FAL angle that's closer to the original AR180.

I have a folding ACE assembly I bought used, but with my current stock it'd have too long of an LOP, so I'm getting the 7.5" shorty ACE skeleton stock, then I'll add the folder. Might end up swapping in the $55 Stormwerkz folding mechanism since supposedly it's a better piece of kit.

Overall I'm really pleased with this rifle! Feels a lot more solid with the NDS lower (sold the polymer one to a member here). Couple minor questions:

- I want to eventually re-barrel this with a modern chrome-lined barrel with faster twist for today's heavier popular ammo, plus come down to 16". As the rifle is right now, even with the NDS lower and ACE stock, it feels a little muzzle-heavy. Is that just the nature of the design, is it because of the piston system, or can it be made a little lighter up front when I rebarrel?

- The NDS lower has less play between it and the upper than the polymer did, but still some. Is there any reason to (or not to) add some kind of wedge adapted from an AR to eliminate wobble? Is Accuwedge or whatever else compatible?

- any advice on key lubrication points or any other unique quirks of maintenance of these? For maintaining the piston system, can I just read any thread here on cleaning/lubing a piston AR?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like I never posted any pics of one of my latest acquisitions.

Late Costa Mesa. Extremely clean but has been shot and has had a scope installed so there is room for improvement, but not much. About as nice as I like for my collection as perfect examples often go away because I feel like I don't want to touch them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like I never posted any pics of one of my latest acquisitions.

<a href="http://s576.photobucket.com/user/BigRix/media/Armalite%20AR-180/FCFF0686-F6E4-452D-81D6-6093E64184B2_zpskuvkrypf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Armalite%20AR-180/FCFF0686-F6E4-452D-81D6-6093E64184B2_zpskuvkrypf.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s576.photobucket.com/user/BigRix/media/Armalite%20AR-180/24F900F2-C6D6-459B-9BAE-9514A4A0845A_zps9qpoxeuc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Armalite%20AR-180/24F900F2-C6D6-459B-9BAE-9514A4A0845A_zps9qpoxeuc.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s576.photobucket.com/user/BigRix/media/Armalite%20AR-180/12083D1E-3505-4D41-874F-A455A525F0C7_zps3gl6wxll.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Armalite%20AR-180/12083D1E-3505-4D41-874F-A455A525F0C7_zps3gl6wxll.jpg</a>

Late Costa Mesa. Extremely clean but has been shot and has had a scope installed so there is room for improvement, but not much. About as nice as I like for my collection as perfect examples often go away because I feel like I don't want to touch them.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Rick I'd call that late Costa Mesa AR-180 an excellent find and agree that it could still be taken to the range and fired on occasion. Also I notice that it has the original box and accessories like the 5rd mag block.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
You know why Reed Knight doesn't have many 180's in his collection...

Because BigRix has them all...
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Mail Call

Unboxed some cool stuff. Some I bought, some is on loan.

Upper and the unfinished front cap are mine. The ORIGINAL AR-18S BARREL & CAP were loaned to me so I could take pics for my site. I was told that was ok but no dimensions were to be given out. That is a fair trade if you ask me.

The upper is an original Costa Mesa that was unfinished when the factory shut down. It has cosmetic flaws in the welds and I think that is why it was not used. I plan to clean it up and make it a shorty upper for what started as a stripped Costa Mesa lower I bought at the SAR show last year. I'm still waiting on the stamp for that thing.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I love the Armalite AR180, and would like to get one.    I kinda have one but it was modified to AR18 specs with all AR18 parts and registered before the deadline in 1985 (so I have it on a form 4 and is a NFA weapon)) . But it has that darn "happy switch" that flips all the way back- and I can hardly afford to shoot it!  The "draw" is just too strong and my will power is not there to leave it on semi.  :O)
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]

You poor thing.

I'll trade you straight-across my unfired Costa Mesa (with Colt 4x to boot!) for your ammo-eating bullet hose.

Think of all the ammo you'll save.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the hand guard retainer sorted today.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#23]
That is awesome sir!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
My stamp was approved on Monday while I was out of town.

Shot the upper with dark gray primer until I can figure out what I'm doing finish wise.

I hope to get to the range this weekend and see if she runs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Your shorty turned out nice Rick...

I'm very jealous...

I have faith that it will run very well for you!!!

Again NICE WORK!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#26]
WOW! That's a whole 'nother level of the sickness!

Yer screwed dude!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Range day.

Ran like a top till this happened.

Lost a Jesus Clip

Finished shooting on my Nodak lower then fixed it when I got home.

Other than that both the 180B SBR and the 180S SBR ran great.

Sighting in was another story. I either need a spotter or a spotting scope. Burned through 200 rounds between function checking and trying to get it on paper. And I got so confused at times I was turning the front sight the wrong direction. Ended up the day by separating the upper and lower during a "Cold Range" and got a friendly reminder not to handle weapons when folks are down range. I decided I should pack it in before I did something really stupid. Left the range happy and tired and ready to go back again. I'll be shooting these at the 2-Gun match next Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Family obligations kept me from the 2-Gun match but I did get some "Shop Time" today.

Fixed my range case to fit the new AR180S.

Holds 4 original ArmaLite 30 round mags in the cubby hole along with 120 rounds on strippers.

I was playing with more mags and I got 2 40 round and one more 30 round Sterling mags in the box. All full I have a max capacity of 350 rounds in the case with the gun. Now to see if I can come up with a set of tools and spare parts. I think I can squeeze a scope in there too but my dovetail came loose and stayed with the scope when I removed it from the gun. That should be fun to position before welding.

So far I have met my goal of not modifying an original gun. All parts for this build were bought as just that, parts. It has taken over a year to gather them and I have only a few parts that I need to change out when they come up for sale, charging handle (Stormwerkz), Bolt  (180B), take down pin (late Sterling), and the upper hand guard (180B).
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the bolt carrier you got from me in one of those builds?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes sir. It is in that gun.

It is using a 180B bolt as I have not come across an original bolt yet.

By the way the bolt carrier I got from you is an AR-18 bolt. Turns out those had an anti-bounce device inside them. I have built the parts for said device but have not heat treated them yet. It is running just fine with out them so I may not bother.

I plan to put up an article about the differences in the carriers soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

By the way the bolt carrier I got from you is an AR-18 bolt. Turns out those had an anti-bounce device inside them. I have built the parts for said device but have not heat treated them yet. It is running just fine with out them so I may not bother.

View Quote

Thats awesome, glad to hear that!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cool.  Can you give us a quick sentence on what to look for in the meantime?  I'm sure most in this thread will appreciate another reason to break their rifle down and look to see which bolt they have.  These rifles have so many variances.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
AR-18 Top AR-180 Middle AR-180B Lower

Anti Bounce Weight and plug. Retained with a roll pin. Turned from O1 drill rod and I still need to heat treat them.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
AR-18 Top AR-180 Middle AR-180B Lower

Anti Bounce Weight and plug. Retained with a roll pin. Turned from O1 drill rod and I still need to heat treat them.
View Quote

Good deal, thanks. I'll take a look later.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Parkerized Sterling rifles are quite rare. Just be sure it wasn't refinished.

I have not been able to get pics of one for my web site yet, but I'm always on the lookout.

One of our members here posted pics of his but pulled them after I and probably half the retro heads on this site tried to buy it from him.

Then there is are the Sterling AR-18 rifles, very few of them and only one Sterling AR-18S that I have heard is in the country.
View Quote

It is the one on the top. The picture is not great.
I do not want to sell it. Please, no e-mails or IM's or PM's.
I have had it for many years. I bought it used, but I don't think it has ever been fired.
It just sits in the safe with the others.
Serial # S18XXX
RIX, you can use the pictures if you need one. I will try to get to it and do another/better picture of it. It may take a while to get to that safe, lots of parts boxes in front of it.
I found some more pictures I had. These have been in the safe for 35-40 years. I have a light protective spray coating on them and it has collected dust. someday I will dig them out and clean the dust off and re-spray them. It keeps the rust off of them. I live very close to the Gulf of Mexico and it is a problem.

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you very much Mr Delete.

Those are exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Just checked, 180 bolt carrier. Dang, oh well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#38]

I posted this on two other boards but only one guy was interested - my fellow AR-180 retro fans should enjoy the pic & text!

PREPPING IN THE LATE 70s
It’s 1979 and your family just got their favorite TV show, The Hulk, interrupted by The Emergency Broadcast System. This time it’s real. The eerie tone you have heard many times before is much more frightening due to Russian threats over the last month, their new military alliance with Mexico, and the arrival of two-hundred thousand Soviet troops in allied Marxist Central American countries. You instruct your family to start loading up your 1972 Ford Bronco with food and supplies as you’re are getting out of your soon to be hellhole suburban neighborhood and head for the cabin in the mountains which your dad built in the 1940s. Before you know it, unprepared friends and relatives begin calling and heading over to your house as the “neighborhood nutcase survivalist” is now everyone’s best friend. You know what you have to do and the first thing you grab is the best damn survivalist rifle ever known to man – the Armalite AR-180! Faster than Johnny Carson can spout his monologue, you and your family are in the Bronco dodging pathetically unprepared suburbanites while Ted Nugent’s Cat Scratch Fever on 8-Track is blaring out of your speakers!

SHOWN (left to right starting at top): 1970s Boy Scout Mess kit, hand-warmer, Arby’s fast food restaurant book of matches (remember when people could smoke in fast food restaurants and Arby's would give out little metal ashtrays?), Ray-O-Vac model 100 camping lamp, Llama .45 pistol, Panasonic AM radio model R-70, Armalite AR-180 (by Sterling) with spare parts in stock behind butt plate, General Electric walkie-talkie model 3-5961C, spare Ray-O-Vac 9-volt battery, RCA four-channel police scanner model 16S100, 40-round AR-180 magazine.  All 1970s era items are laying on a 1970’s U.S. military field jacket.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#39]
The first AR-180 I saw "in person" was in 1978 at a gun store in Ohio but ended up getting an AR-15 SP1 instead that day. I bought my first AR-180 in 1988 - it was a Sterling with sling, one 20rd magazine, and Armalite 2.75x scope. Guess how much I paid for it? $325!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://oi63.tinypic.com/15p30jn.jpg

I posted this on two other boards but only one guy was interested - my fellow AR-180 retro fans should enjoy the pic & text!

PREPPING IN THE LATE 70s
It’s 1979 and your family just got their favorite TV show, The Hulk, interrupted by The Emergency Broadcast System. This time it’s real. The eerie tone you have heard many times before is much more frightening due to Russian threats over the last month, their new military alliance with Mexico, and the arrival of two-hundred thousand Soviet troops in allied Marxist Central American countries. You instruct your family to start loading up your 1972 Ford Bronco with food and supplies as you’re are getting out of your soon to be hellhole suburban neighborhood and head for the cabin in the mountains which your dad built in the 1940s. Before you know it, unprepared friends and relatives begin calling and heading over to your house as the “neighborhood nutcase survivalist” is now everyone’s best friend. You know what you have to do and the first thing you grab is the best damn survivalist rifle ever known to man – the Armalite AR-180! Faster than Johnny Carson can spout his monologue, you and your family are in the Bronco dodging pathetically unprepared suburbanites while Ted Nugent’s Cat Scratch Fever on 8-Track is blaring out of your speakers!

SHOWN (left to right starting at top): 1970s Boy Scout Mess kit, hand-warmer, Arby’s fast food restaurant book of matches (remember when people could smoke in fast food restaurants and Arby's would give out little metal ashtrays?), Ray-O-Vac model 100 camping lamp, Llama .45 pistol, Panasonic AM radio model R-70, Armalite AR-180 (by Sterling) with spare parts in stock behind butt plate, General Electric walkie-talkie model 3-5961C, spare Ray-O-Vac 9-volt battery, RCA four-channel police scanner model 16S100, 40-round AR-180 magazine.  All 1970s era items are laying on a 1970’s U.S. military field jacket.
View Quote

I can dig it
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Now that is just too cool. Love it PrepAndShoot

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a dilemma, I picked up a parts lot and it got delivered today. Included was the upper handguard that I have been needing for my AR180S clone.

It is brand new and has never been installed on a gun as far as I can tell. Same with the lower handguard, and the scope mount, and the pistol grips, and a bunch of mags (not shown) that came with it as well.

Do I cut that handguard or keep looking for a more suitable candidate?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a dilemma, I picked up a parts lot and it got delivered today. Included was the upper handguard that I have been needing for my AR180S clone.

It is brand new and has never been installed on a gun as far as I can tell. Same with the lower handguard, and the scope mount, and the pistol grips, and a bunch of mags (not shown) that came with it as well.

Do I cut that handguard or keep looking for a more suitable candidate?
View Quote

awww don't cut it! Maybe you can track down some 180B replacement guards?  I bought some off the armalite sight a few years ago to use the upper guard to hack holes in to make a light mount. 
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#45]
If you are going to talk 70s and the AR-18 then you have to mention the first time I saw an AR-18 and wanted one, the 1975 series premier of SWAT.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you are going to talk 70s and the AR-18 then you have to mention the first time I saw an AR-18 and wanted one, the 1975 series premier of SWAT.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/0/0f/SWATAR18.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Running the AR180S at the range with my daughters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhAhVUmfggU

I can never seem to get youtube vids to show up
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't embed without a team membership, but you can make the link hot by adding [ url ] (without spaces) to the front of the youtube address and [ /url ] (no spaces again) to the end.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
So bad ass!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
A reader sent this to post for him/her anonymously. Not interested in getting a bunch of PM's and I can't blame them.

Awesome stuff that you will almost never see.

The rifle on the top is a Costa Mesa presentation rifle with two digit serial number.  The first twenty five Costa Mesa rifles were set aside for presentation to executives and financial officers who had assisted in setting up the production line in Costa Mesa. There is a letter from Richard Klotzly (president of Armalite) documenting this rifle. Rifle is equipped with an early scope marked in meters and has a gold plated trigger and a plaque mounted on the right side of the stock stating:

One of the Original
25 Production AR-180
Rifles and Manufactured  
Especially for
(mans name)
July 10, 1969

Second rifle from the top is an early Howa with low three digit serial number and a singlepoint sight.

Third rifle from top is a Sterling with rare sharpshooter kit.

Bottom rifle is an AR-180 SCS (Phil Hart sporter)

Bottom left is a Very rare AR-180 prototype pistol with SP serial # prefix.

You guys know I am into shorties so I would love to clone that pistol.
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top