AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome to know that Costa Mesa production started in July 1969
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful shortly! I think that Pete Fleis has one - I haven't spoken to him in a while.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess what this is!

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
A white box!

but I think it's filled with AR180 goodies.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The box doesn't look very big so I am guessing an accessory like a scope.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Another hint

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Armalite 4x20mm marked scope with mount. Later straight tube model (not stepped toward eyepiece, no protruding nitrogen plug), simllar to Colt 4x20 scope. Duplex reticle(?); can't remember, would have to pull one out of storage to confirm.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I know we breifly touched on this before,  so I am trying to get a better handle on accessories :  Bi-pods  while looking for info on sar-80  I came across a few re-print manuals and noted the illustrations of the use of Bi-pods  where the bi-pods the same as the M-16 early colt/military contract ones or where of a different design and nomenclature or where they same ones???

talking about  ar-18, ar-180 and sar-80

nice scope Rick
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Winner winner chicken dinner

Uber rare 4x20 Armalite scope is now in the collection.

And the Scope collection is complete.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What would be the correct sling for a Sterling AR180?

BTW love the scope collection.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know we breifly touched on this before,  so I am trying to get a better handle on accessories :  Bi-pods  while looking for info on sar-80  I came across a few re-print manuals and noted the illustrations of the use of Bi-pods  where the bi-pods the same as the M-16 early colt/military contract ones or where of a different design and nomenclature or where they same ones???

talking about  ar-18, ar-180 and sar-80

nice scope Rick
View Quote

Yes the bi pods are the same as used on the M16 although Kobren could probably pin down what exact variation is correct for the AR18/180. I have not researched that as thoroughly as he has.

As for the SAR-80 all the pictures I have seen show the same bi pod.

Anyone know what scope the SAR-80 is shown with?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What would be the correct sling for a Sterling AR180?

BTW love the scope collection.
View Quote

Standard green M16 sling is correct for the Costa Mesa and Howa rifles.

A unique black sling is correct for the Sterling.

Note the steel end caps on the sling. Hard to find these.

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
looks like a trulux suit scope used by the British  and Israel
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Standard green M16 sling is correct for the Costa Mesa and Howa rifles.

A unique black sling is correct for the Sterling.

Note the steel end caps on the sling. Hard to find these.
View Quote

Guess I'll just put on a green one if the right one is hard to find.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes the bi pods are the same as used on the M16 although Kobren could probably pin down what exact variation is correct for the AR18/180. I have not researched that as thoroughly as he has.

As for the SAR-80 all the pictures I have seen show the same bi pod.

Anyone know what scope the SAR-80 is shown with?
View Quote

Looks like a British SUIT scope - or similar.  Israelis and Russians had a copy of it.

FYI - There are a few SAR-80 demilled parts kits on Gunbroker right now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks like a British SUIT scope - or similar.  Israelis and Russians had a copy of it.

FYI - There are a few SAR-80 demilled parts kits on Gunbroker right now.
View Quote

Yes I'm putting a group buy together on my blog. I think these should be a fun build.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes I'm putting a group buy together on my blog. I think these should be a fun build.
View Quote

Yep Rick these are going to be a easy builds I think...

I'm going to pick up a Green Mountain 1 in 9 barrel blank and start making some calls to see if I can find some one to profile it and cut the chamber...

The wheels have been turning!!!

Can't wait to get the kit!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
A couple Costa's
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

OMG I'm so pissed!!!  I had some cash stowed away and decided to buy a CZ P-07. Oh this sucks.  A SAR 80 would be a pretty easy build for me, and what a cool rifle to have sitting in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Jacksprat re the Costa Mesa/Howa AR-18/180 bipods I doubt that ArmaLite would of used a Colt marked bipod. I havn't discovered any bipods with just ArmaLite markings. Two bipods would possibly be good candidates for the AR-180, one is the first shorter AR-15 bipod and the second is the same length as the standard Colt bipod both minus any markings. The later Sterling bipod was plastic, Rick has a photo of it on his blog. Same thing applies to a bayonet and sheath, the most appropriate would be contract examples. Again with the addition of the rare ArmaLite 4x20 scope Rick has assembled an outstanding source of info that he has so generously shared with us both here at AR-15 and his blog.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Retro Survival Gun section in Prepper & Shooter Magazine  on the AR-180 which we ran for issue 1:

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
quote:

I'm going to pick up a Green Mountain 1 in 9 barrel blank and start making some calls to see if I can find some one to profile it and cut the chamber...

if your going to crank out a barrel crank out 3-4 more we will need them 3-4 of us will need them

Jack
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
quote:

if your going to crank out a barrel crank out 3-4 more we will need them 3-4 of us will need them

Jack
View Quote

I waiting till I get the kit in my hands so I can see what the trunion and barrel threads  look like...

Then I'll make a few calls and see who may be up to the task...

If I like these kits I'll buy 5 more and have barrels made for all plus extras and work up some blank receiver shells...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]
excellent  if you need help feel free to Instant message me here or over at ricks forum

I wonder if the receiver flats gun labs has will work??
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top