Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
Welp, it's official - you guys have given me the disease of the retro build.  I'm still relatively new to the posting bit here on AR15.com, but I've been lurking like others for years slowly gathering the wealth of knowledge that you guys all have.  To say the least, it's very addicting lol.  Anyways, I'm a couple builds in now using all the help here, and I figured it's time to get into the ever so popular XM177E2 build.  For now I have just 2 pics, hopefully I'll have more soon after I get my lower back from Ident Marking and send the upper and lower off for a grey cerakoting with a friend.  Suggestions, tips, criticism all welcome.  Anyway some pics for starters (sorry for crappy quality - just using an iphone):

Unfortunately so far, I've realized I don't have the money to make this a full on replica using only colt parts and the like so for now it's just going to have to look the part but I want it to be a KISS shooter anyway, not a display piece.
Also, I couldn't stand to wait in line for months/years to get a Nodak Spud stuff...might eventually happen though.

Parts list so far:
- PSA Stealth Lower (replica engravings hopefully being done best they can at Ident)
- A1 Upper with CH markings stripped and reparked from Apex
- J&T Lightweight 16" Barrel w/.625 FSB (will be cut down by adco and FH pinned, forging flash removed, and bayonet lug castrated )
- Brick's replica moderator/grenade ring (thing is damn heavy but damn nice)
- A1 mottled Grip (fat - wish it was skinnier...oh well)
- Tear drop FA
- A1 Rear Sight parts (I have a couple different aperatures from different places, but one has a really wide opening...I was guessing for low light/CQB, any ideas?)
- Aluminum stock body from another member (not colt unfortunately)
The rest is unfortunately standard AR parts...
- PSA LPK
- PSA BCG
- PSA buffer tube/buffer
- A2 ejection port door
- Charging Handle

If anybody has some skinny 6 hole handguards they wanna give me too, that'd be great

I also have some old school Colt 20rd. & 30rd. mags and these other 20rd. mags to go with the build with markings saying:
ADVENTURE LINE MFG. CO. INC.
PARSONS, KS, U.S.A.
Anybody know anything about these?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Great Start......Sounds like you got an A2 aperature mixed in with your A1's (A2's have a Ghost Ring Site). The Adventure Line mags are very common USGI surplus mags (Nothing wrong with them at all.) Try member John Thomas for barrel work, ADCO is fine but JT will get your work done faster, period correct, and possibly save you a few bucks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard.

I see you have New York listed as your location. Be sure to follow your state laws. We don't want to hear that you've gotten in trouble. See the New York Hometown forum if you have any questions or need guidance.

The rear sight with the large apperature is probably an A2 piece. The A1 will have both holes the same size but at a different height from the mounting hole to allow elevation change. One is shirt range the other is marked "300" and is the long range sight.

Adventureline mags are some of my favorites. True usgi and in good shape are reliable magazines.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking good. I finally put another lower together today for the 605. (Pics later ) FWIW a lot of guys prefer the A2 aperture. I wouldn't let the A2 designation stop me from using it, especially on a carbine - it's far superior for close-up work IMO. I'm going to put one on the 605 in fact.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking good. I finally put another lower together today for the 605. (Pics later ) FWIW a lot of guys prefer the A2 aperture. I wouldn't let the A2 designation stop me from using it, especially on a carbine - it's far superior for close-up work IMO. I'm going to put one on the 605 in fact.
View Quote

I change mine out on most of my shooters I keep the A1's in a small prescription bottle in my parts box.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the info so far, yea these adventure line mags I've been using for a couple years no and they run great even though they're beat to crap now.
I'm prob going to use that A2 ghost ring aperature, sounds like a good plan.
And yea I know I live in communist New York, fortunately I'm an LEO though so most of the new law doesn't affect me - except the damn ammo provision where I can't order ammo online anymore! and except for that time when they made the law overnight and forgot to mention that LEO's were exempt so we were all felons at work carrying our service weapons with high cap magazines

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get  me started on NYS. I grew up there and every time I drive back to see my folks I have to leave my guns in PA with a friend. I mean, I have a 1945 Remington Rand 1911 made in Syracuse for God's sake, and I can't take it into the state with me? You know, if they charged $50 per visit for a temp permit so people there temporarily could have their gun with them, they'd make money on it. It would still suck, but a year in jail for handgun possession? Really? What part of 'Shall not be infringed' do they not understand?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't get  me started on NYS. I grew up there and every time I drive back to see my folks I have to leave my guns in PA with a friend. I mean, I have a 1945 Remington Rand 1911 made in Syracuse for God's sake, and I can't take it into the state with me? You know, if they charged $50 per visit for a temp permit so people there temporarily could have their gun with them, they'd make money on it. It would still suck, but a year in jail for handgun possession? Really? What part of 'Shall not be infringed' do they not understand?
View Quote

They understand 'shall not' but they think it only applies to US.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
First off-- nice build.

Next--embrace "retro" & don't even bother fighting it.

Resistance is futile!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Welp, it's official - you guys have given me the disease of the retro build.  I'm still relatively new to the posting bit here on AR15.com, but I've been lurking like others for years slowly gathering the wealth of knowledge that you guys all have.  To say the least, it's very addicting lol.  Anyways, I'm a couple builds in now using all the help here, and I figured it's time to get into the ever so popular XM177E2 build.  For now I have just 2 pics, hopefully I'll have more soon after I get my lower back from Ident Marking and send the upper and lower off for a grey cerakoting with a friend.  Suggestions, tips, criticism all welcome.  Anyway some pics for starters (sorry for crappy quality - just using an iphone):

<a href="http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/jsgexplorer/media/xm177upper_zps522e0d86.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/xm177upper_zps522e0d86.jpeg</a>
<a href="http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/jsgexplorer/media/xm177upperandlowerblockedserialnumber_zpsb7369c05.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/xm177upperandlowerblockedserialnumber_zpsb7369c05.jpg</a>

Unfortunately so far, I've realized I don't have the money to make this a full on replica using only colt parts and the like so for now it's just going to have to look the part but I want it to be a KISS shooter anyway, not a display piece.
Also, I couldn't stand to wait in line for months/years to get a Nodak Spud stuff...might eventually happen though.

Parts list so far:
- PSA Stealth Lower (replica engravings hopefully being done best they can at Ident)
- A1 Upper with CH markings stripped and reparked from Apex
- J&T Lightweight 16" Barrel w/.625 FSB (will be cut down by adco and FH pinned, forging flash removed, and bayonet lug castrated )
- Brick's replica moderator/grenade ring (thing is damn heavy but damn nice)
- A1 mottled Grip (fat - wish it was skinnier...oh well)
- Tear drop FA
- A1 Rear Sight parts (I have a couple different aperatures from different places, but one has a really wide opening...I was guessing for low light/CQB, any ideas?)
- Aluminum stock body from another member (not colt unfortunately)
The rest is unfortunately standard AR parts...
- PSA LPK
- PSA BCG
- PSA buffer tube/buffer
- A2 ejection port door
- Charging Handle

If anybody has some skinny 6 hole handguards they wanna give me too, that'd be great

I also have some old school Colt 20rd. & 30rd. mags and these other 20rd. mags to go with the build with markings saying:
ADVENTURE LINE MFG. CO. INC.
PARSONS, KS, U.S.A.
Anybody know anything about these?
View Quote

I'm doing the exact same thing in an A1 configuration, some Colt parts and some PSA, including the BCG and lower. Building a full on all Colt replica is very cost prohibitive for a shooter and all of my guns are shooters.

I'm thinking about maybe doing an XM16 with a NiB BCG instead of chrome. I'm gonna cause someone here to have a heart attack
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]
NiB carrier? I think a member here has already done it. I know there was a discussion about it awhile back, and the overwhelming opinion of the retro forum IIRC was, we like it.

The retro forum is not as reactionary as some people think. While we still develop a nervous tic when people start posting pics of their M4s. in reality most of us appreciate and even own ( ) more modern ARs. What we really appreciate here are retro builds which are not necessarily a legitimate reproduction, but instead, an inspired piece with style - such as the several incredible middy builds I've seen here (one of which was in 6.8spc).

'Prototype' carry handle charger carbines, SBRs with M231 stocks and chopped A1 HGs, John Thomas' AR-14 'replica'... these weapons never existed. One member here built an XM177E1 in .458 SOCOM which is so badass I don't know how he ever brought himself to build another retro. I never had any use for the caliber prior to that, but now the idea of eventually converting my 605 to .458 SOCOM makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

From nearly the beginning of this forum, we've embraced builds that are 'different'. Although the M16A1 and XM177E2 reproductions are still the 'gold standard' here, the creativity and skill of the guys on this forum seem to know no bounds. I am constantly amazed at the wild and wonderful concoctions that members here come up with. The 'A2' war is far in our past, and the result was the A2 forum - many of us have A2s or plan A2 builds too - the BHD thread STILL lives here after all.

There has also been several discussions about whether this is the place for other retro threads - witness the success of the retro sidearm and shotgun threads. We discuss retro gear here quite often. This place should really be renamed 'The Museum' I think. Most of us are interested in history, and history is about innovation. Is it any surprise we dig cool new stuff as well? I encourage newer members to spend a little time digging around in the archives and reading some of the interesting builds people here have done. I notice Ekie's references are pinned 2X at the top of the page - maybe we could free up the 2 duplicate lines for some links to pinned threads like Doc Mike's excellent GP strap tutorial? They do this on other forums, why not here? Check here first for links to important threads would be a great addition to this forum I think.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#11]
welcome to the forum and to rbrd
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Sputnik556, that NiB BCG sounds like it'd be a great idea, I do remember seeing somebody discussing that somewhere on here, really though, why wouldn't you do that if you were building a shooter? It's a practical idea I would say.  But you still might cause a heart attack

And morg308, this forum really is like a museum...I learn something different about firearms or the related history every time I check back in on the forum - it's very intriguing and quite addicting lol.  Also I checked out Doc Mike's GP strap tutorial and that made me run out and grab a couple real quick lol.  The peer pressure here is ridiculous

Anyways heres a couple comments, updates, questions, etc. about my build:

I'll start with the GP straps.  I just picked these up the other day for a couple bucks each.  One's canvas and the other is nylon.  I personally like the canvas one much better but whatever.  They're pretty old and disgusting, and pretty worn down (you can see that the stitching holding one of the attachments on is almost gone) - but a trip to mother dearest's should help with that (I'm lacking severely in the sewing department...and cooking too for that matter).  Unfortunately these were the only 2 he had, and he had no paracord in OD...just weird rainbow colors

Next up on my agenda - the moderator.  Brick's moderator is an amazing looking piece that IMO makes the whole XM177E2.  That said, it is fantastically heavy lol.  Tried doing a little research and it seems like it's only a couple ounces heavier than the real moderator, but I'm not trying to make a die hard replica build, so my question is has anybody tried to drill out the bore of the moderator so it can potentially shed a few ounces?  Or is that just a terrible idea and suck it up and deal with the extra weight? (I'm guessing the latter is the appropriate AR15.com response lol).

Lastly for this update - cerakoting the upper, lower, buffer tube, and/or other miscellaneous accessories.  First off, I'm still waiting on the lower from Ident Marking so this isn't an immediate part of the project, but I'd like to know what everybody's ideas are regarding cerakoting this build.  I was going to have a buddy of mine in AZ do it in an XM type grey.  However, my main concern is whether or not I will be able to give it that BFPU look afterwards.  I tried doing some research on here and doing some googlefoo, but all I can really figure is that this cerakote stuff is some tough sh*t...so maybe not the best for BFPU look.  

Oh two more quick questions.  Does anybody know where I can get the "skinny" lock washer?  I ordered a DPMS one from midway and turns out the thing is way too fat.  And also, anybody have any idea where I can find a set of 6 hole handguards?

I'd appreciate any comments, criticisms, and questions and thanks again guys, I'll try to keep this build updated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lastly for this update - cerakoting the upper, lower, buffer tube, and/or other miscellaneous accessories.  First off, I'm still waiting on the lower from Ident Marking so this isn't an immediate part of the project, but I'd like to know what everybody's ideas are regarding cerakoting this build.  I was going to have a buddy of mine in AZ do it in an XM type grey.  However, my main concern is whether or not I will be able to give it that BFPU look afterwards.  I tried doing some research on here and doing some googlefoo, but all I can really figure is that this cerakote stuff is some tough sh*t...so maybe not the best for BFPU look.  
View Quote

I had my 604 cerakoted because the lower was a cut down A2 lower and I wanted to fill some things with JB weld like the safe/fire on the right side. The closest cerakote color that I found is called "sniper grey" and I also filled the notch on the selector and had it coated. I think it turned out really well, but Im not sure you could BFPU it very well...it is tough stuff.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#14]
wow that looks awesome!  I can't even tell that was an A2 lower...but I'm also a noob so that isn't saying much.  And thanks for the color tip, Idk which color my buddy had in mind he just said it was a similar color to the XM grey, I'll run the sniper grey by him thanks!  And as far as the BFPU is concerned...I think I've just decided that I'm going to tie the gun to the back of my quad and drag it down my gravel driveway (but I might chicken out when the time comes)
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wow that looks awesome!  I can't even tell that was an A2 lower...but I'm also a noob so that isn't saying much.  And thanks for the color tip, Idk which color my buddy had in mind he just said it was a similar color to the XM grey, I'll run the sniper grey by him thanks!  And as far as the BFPU is concerned...I think I've just decided that I'm going to tie the gun to the back of my quad and drag it down my gravel driveway (but I might chicken out when the time comes)
View Quote

"XM Grey" is the name of a duracoat color (IIRC) not a Cerakote color

I like "Sniper Grey" well enough I guess, but I do kinda wish it was a touch darker. I dont know if there is a cerakote color thats a couple shades darker or not.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#16]
FWIW I use coyote brown paracord on my GP slings and I like it better. It looks like a closer match to mid-60's LBE. The two colors look fantastic together. ALso, leave the rear tail longer, in case you wan to use it on a fixed stock carbine. I don't make mine myself - a friend does them. He does great work. I really should try making some myself - not my skill set.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
NiB carrier? I think a member here has already done it. I know there was a discussion about it awhile back, and the overwhelming opinion of the retro forum IIRC was, we like it.
View Quote

Not sure how I missed this the first time around.

Here's a NiB bolt and Chrome carrier just for reference
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys, I sort of have an update to my build...although it's not really forward progress.  I saw the M16A1 parts kit that some of you guys were talking about and jumped on one even though I'm doing an XM177E2 and had pretty much all of the parts already lol...oh well guess I'll just hafta do some other type of retro build!  Anyways I have a question, the picture below shows the 2 uppers and FSB's that I can now use for my build, and my plan is to use cerakote's sniper grey on the upper lower combo to get something close to the original "XM grey" but I do want that BFPU look.  Would you guys recommend using the used upper and FSB (and cerakote just the lower) or stick with the APEX refurb upper and FSB that's on the barrel and then wearing it?  Oh and I'm still waiting on my lower from Ident Marking...I cant wait any longer for it, I just wanna finish and shoot this thing!

href=http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/IMG_1707_zpsa5d2b6ac.jpg" />
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Chop that barrel  

Will
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Chop that barrel  

Will
View Quote

Yes yes of course lol. It will be going to JT soon
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want the BFPU look, I would use the upper you have with the port door on it........it looks more worn than the upper upper. I'd also use the loose frt sight you have........looks more worn.
Looks like you need the early receiver ext. lock nut too.........that's a castle nut in the pic, isn't it?
You need to cut the bayo lug too, but you probably already know that........and that brings up a point.........even though that loose frt sight looks like the one to use for the BFPU look, you may want to discuss that with JohnT......having to pick up reream taper holes, etc, compared to having th eone that is already installed on your barrel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you want the BFPU look, I would use the upper you have with the port door on it........it looks more worn than the upper upper. I'd also use the loose frt sight you have........looks more worn.
Looks like you need the early receiver ext. lock nut too.........that's a castle nut in the pic, isn't it?
View Quote

This, Plus, don't have them repark the barrel if you are just going to put wear on it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#23]
yea I know I'm gonna need the proper extension and lock nut eventually, for now though I'm more worried about the upper/barrel stuff because once I ship it off to JT to cut the barrel and weld the FH i'm not going back.  Tomorrow I was going to take the new FSB off and try to swap it out with the old FSB, although I didn't really look at which FSB's had straight or taper pins or what not so I don't know if it will even be possible.  If they're not gonna swap out easily I was just going to use the new FSB I guess.  Thanks for the tips and reminders guys!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Also does anybody want to maybe swap a good condition set (with no broken teeth) of triangle HGs for a set of shiny 6 hole HGs?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
yea I know I'm gonna need the proper extension and lock nut eventually, for now though I'm more worried about the upper/barrel stuff because once I ship it off to JT to cut the barrel and weld the FH i'm not going back.  Tomorrow I was going to take the new FSB off and try to swap it out with the old FSB, although I didn't really look at which FSB's had straight or taper pins or what not so I don't know if it will even be possible.  If they're not gonna swap out easily I was just going to use the new FSB I guess.  Thanks for the tips and reminders guys!
View Quote

I think trying to change out the FSB is not worth it. The holes from one to another rarely line up, you may have the straight vs tapered issue - why screw with it? Slather some Naval jelly on the barrel and FSB and see what that does for you. There is a thread concerning this in the archives somewhere. Wish I could remember which member tried it and how long he left it on... Save that other FSB for another build you need it for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey guys, I'm back after finally getting my lower back from Ident Marking and the upper back from John Thomas.  First off, I would like to thank both of them for they're excellent work.  Ident sorta took a while and I was patient but after a couple months I called and spoke with Eric who was incredibly helpful and nice and he was surprised I was waiting quite some time for my lowers (I was getting this retro lower engraved as well as another standard lower) and shipped mine out the same day.  The finished product from Ident looks awesome IMHO for what it is as a PSA Stealth Lower since I couldn't stand to wait a century for a Nodak Spud, although now I might order one since this one can hold me over  Anyways, here's a pic of the engraving (I also had Ident engrave the Auto selector marking and faux sear pin, but forgot to take a pic of the whole enchilada and I'm too lazy to go back and do it):

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photonoserial_zps8257f835.jpg

Now, on to the work of John Thomas.  Let me say that JT is incredibly helpful, friendly, hard working, and his prices can't be beat for the excellent quality work he does.  I shipped out 2 uppers to him for work; my brothers upper where he butchered the low-profile gas block install (which JT fixed and cleaned up real nice) and needed the barrel chopped and brake installed, and he also did my XM177E2 upper.  Oh and BTW, JT turned these uppers so quick I couldn't believe it lol.  I think the door to door time was like 4-5 business days.  He was even giving me SITREP's on the projects, which was real nice of him to go out of the way to do (not like I really needed the updates since it was relatively basic work, but it was very nice of him).

For my XM177E2 upper I had JT chop my barrel and pin/weld Brick's moderator so that OAL is 16.1", remove flashing from FSB, grind off bayonet lug, install the gas tube, and torque the barrel to the upper.  Now I know one of you suggested to use the worn FSB on the barrel from the M16A1 surplus kit I got from LG Outdoors, but that would've been too much of a problem so I just used the standard "F" marked FSB that came with the barrel (I'm going out in a bit to pick up some naval jelly for this project).  JT also called me just to make sure I wanted to use the "F" marked FSB explaining that I'll hafta crank the front sight down far to get a good zero.  Since I'm really not going all out on this build, that was fine with me, if it really bothers me then I'll deal with it lol.  Anyways here's some pics for now (only mock-ups for now since I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lower):

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_2_zpsb1968dc6.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_5noserial_zpsb94d42d7.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_9_zpseb7443c5.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_7_zps473ededb.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_10_zps0cd6427b.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_8_zpsa90d60bd.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/photo_12noserial_zps85de68f0.jpg

As you can see all of JT's work came out great, and I'm getting really itchy to finish this build so I can shoot the damn thing.  I know you guys all pointed me to JT for work and I'm glad you did.  I would 100% recommend JT for any future work I need done on any of my guns (because he doesn't just work on retro stuff).  Once again, you can't beat JT for his quality of work, prices, expertise, and how professional and helpful he is.  Thanks JT!  You're prob gonna have a 602/603 come you're way from me...well, eventually.

Also, I asked this question on another thread in the Retro forum but there hasn't been an answer yet, so what I'm looking to do now is paint the stripped lower and the buffer tube in Rustoleum Dark Grey automobile wet sandable primer since I saw that another member used it on their build.  I figured this would be a better option than cerakoting, since I really want to give this upper the BFPU look, but I'm worried that the primer might fill in the relatively shallow replica engravings.  Has anybody tried it yet or have any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#27]
looking good, one of these days will build one
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#28]
looks great, I did the same build except my slots are closed on the muzzle device (NJ) and I used triangular handguards because I just love the way it looks
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, I finally finished my build to the point that it's shootable (it still needs a lot of work - i know).  So I went ahead with the Rustoleum Dark Grey Auto Primer on the lower, buffer tube, and castle nut.  It came out pretty good, but a little darker than i thought it would when i frog lubed it, but it does seem like pretty tough stuff since i let it set up for about 2 weeks without touching it.  Also I used the ever popular naval jelly trick on the LPK and i think it came out awesome and pulled a mag button out of an old M16A1 parts kit for this.  I also sprayed the handguards with some black gloss spray paint and it came out nice, thinking about doing it to the stock also, but the next 2 things on the list for this build are the proper sling set up and then maybe tossing it down the gravel driveway (it just seems so hard to hurt my guns intentionally, unintentionally is a different story lol).  Anyways heres some pics below.  

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-8_zpse027c89c.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-7_zpsf57c9b1a.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-6_zps719e1e86.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-5_zps3bdc2929.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-4_zpsd4fd6a69.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-3_zps0a13ce77.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-2_zps1062a24a.jpg
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/XM177E2-1_zpse331453c.jpg
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, got some new gravel for the driveway delivered over the weekend and figured, "why not?" So I dragged my XM177 through it a couple of times, dropped it in, dug through the gravel as if the AR was a shovel and used it like a sledge hammer. I might have gotten a bit carried away but it was fun lol. Anyway the results were pretty good...only problem is that i discovered the spring for the ejection port cover detent (idk if thats what its called but its the detent in the middle of the door) apparently isn't that strong anymore since its an old A1 door and all the gravel and dirt and grit got all up in the receiver lol. Nbd though just gave it a good cleaning since I shot it before I threw it in the dirt anyway. Does anybody have any suggestions on a spring replacement for the detent? I tried drilling one out of an A2 ejection port door but it didn't work right. Anyways here's a pic.

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps684eee88.jpg
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Can't say I know what to do about the port door except look for another one on the EE.

But that is a nice looking carbine, very similar to my build, John Thomas also did the barrel work.

Although I don't have the guts to throw mine down the driveway.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey guys, got some new gravel for the driveway delivered over the weekend and figured, "why not?" So I dragged my XM177 through it a couple of times, dropped it in, dug through the gravel as if the AR was a shovel and used it like a sledge hammer. I might have gotten a bit carried away but it was fun lol. Anyway the results were pretty good...only problem is that i discovered the spring for the ejection port cover detent (idk if thats what its called but its the detent in the middle of the door) apparently isn't that strong anymore since its an old A1 door and all the gravel and dirt and grit got all up in the receiver lol. Nbd though just gave it a good cleaning since I shot it before I threw it in the dirt anyway. Does anybody have any suggestions on a spring replacement for the detent? I tried drilling one out of an A2 ejection port door but it didn't work right. Anyways here's a pic.

<a href="http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/jsgexplorer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps684eee88.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o800/jsgexplorer/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps684eee88.jpg</a>
View Quote

Mad props for actually doing the driveway treatment!

That's a purty peashooter!
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Flyit, wanna trade port doors then since yours just has to look pretty?
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks good. Reinforces the fact that I'm torn on my next project; an E2, an A1, or an A2 rifle like I carried in the Marines.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#35]
have a pic after cleaning it off?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't have one now but ill get one when I can. The wear doesn't look that good on the lower though because I just painted it with the rustoleum dark grey primer but the rest looks good
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#37]
No wear for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No wear for me. <a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/177and607canvas_zps315ffcf3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/177and607canvas_zps315ffcf3.png</a>
View Quote

I just don't know how to tell you what a pretty pic that is! Kudos! Beautiful work - I know I've seen both of them before, but together, with the background - just wow dude. I have to say though, I really love me some BTDT builds. Headed in that direction myself.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I just don't know how to tell you what a pretty pic that is! Kudos! Beautiful work - I know I've seen both of them before, but together, with the background - just wow dude. I have to say though, I really love me some BTDT builds. Headed in that direction myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No wear for me. <a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/177and607canvas_zps315ffcf3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/177and607canvas_zps315ffcf3.png</a>

I'll go through the details required to get that picture, first off Nikon D200, the map of Vietnam form eBay, the paperwork from that era, printed and then I went and bought some rubber stamps and stamped all the info on them and then airbrushed and made them look old, even used different ink. The cigarette packs printed on photo paper, with the foil and actual Marlboro cigarettes in them. The compass is also from eBay. In the end the results speak for themselves, I love doing it !

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top