Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2014 7:14:31 PM EDT
Ok, I've been collecting parts that I hope are correct for my 607 build. I may already be off since I went with a non forward assist upper and GX5857 markings on the lower. Do me a favor and look this upper over. I believe it is correct for 1965 since the lines match up with the lower, no forgings marks and the correct stampings. I don't know the square forge uppers well enough to be sure I'm correct. It appears to be in good shape and I'm going to use it for now no matter what. I'll start posting pictures of some of the other parts as they come in.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a great start. The upper is square on the left side, which means it is on the right too. ( Kinda hard to see the square forge contours on the right in most pics. )

Nice lower.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
congrats i know stocks are hard to come by but i think braceman is making some these days!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the short grip , I'm doing mine the same way .
For some reason it never looked proportional
With the full size grip
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice 5437.   Couple questions........could you post a better picture showing the Colt logo/rampant pony?
......and as I was reading your post about the "lines" lining up, I got a mental picture of an early 604 upper (the early ones had the "bodyline" under the very left edge of the ejection port lining up with the "bodyline" on the lower......the way the 602 uppers were)   That's not to say that your wouldn't be 100% correct as is. There's just not enough deffinitive info out to say one way or the other. Some of the very earliest 607's did have the uppers that "lined" up with the lower though.
 Also.......on the lower being GX marked with a slickside upper. That is something else that doesn't seem to be deffinitive. NO ONE would chasitze(sp) you for haveing that combo......well, at least I know I wouldn't.....that's the same combo I have.   In Knights collection, he has at least six 607's on teh wall that are all slicksided. I've got a request in for information on the rollmarks of those 6 examples, but haven't heard anything back yet.(and may not, but I'm hopeful)
And a final Q.....have you decided on barrel kength yet?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
That lower looks REALLY good. One thing I would suggest, before you finish it, is to round off the bolt catch ears. Early lowers had rounder castings. I don't have a pic, but I'm sure someone does. Mike @ NDS brought this to our attention some time back. Small detail, but on a 607, I think it'd look a little better. I don't remember the date we decided the ears changed though, so I could be wrong - maybe someone can step in here? IIRC the original discussion was regarding a 601 or 602 lower.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll take a closer picture of the logo and post it. For a barrel I found a non chrome .625 16 inch carbine barrel that has been machined down for a modulator sleeve. My thought is I can run it long until the SBR stamp comes through, then have it shortened and add the three prong and washer I have. I did not hear about the rounding of the corners, but would love more detail if someone has it.

Thanks on the likes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That lower looks REALLY good. One thing I would suggest, before you finish it, is to round off the bolt catch ears. Early lowers had rounder castings. I don't have a pic, but I'm sure someone does. Mike @ NDS brought this to our attention some time back. Small detail, but on a 607, I think it'd look a little better. I don't remember the date we decided the ears changed though, so I could be wrong - maybe someone can step in here? IIRC the original discussion was regarding a 601 or 602 lower.
View Quote

Bummer.............that's the first I've heard of that Morg. Oh well.........anyone that knows anthing would know mine is a fake anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:i know stocks are hard to come by but i think braceman is making some these days!
View Quote

Stoner took on the project for me and has been coaching me through the build. Braceman worked on the lower and has another stock project i need cooking in his pipeline.

Here are the close up pictures of my 607 "paper weight"

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The pile of parts grows. What is not in the picture is a very nice set of front hand guards and a type D butt stock that happen to be damaged in all the right places for shorting. I also have an A1 complete FBA. They are all already with Stoner for him to work some magic and I forgot to take a picture before I sent them. As alway, open to comments...

Man I really do take crappy pictures with my cell phone:

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I noticed you said the upper lines up with the lower - doesn't look like it to me, sorry for mentioning it. Look at RH side under ejection port - that's what we are talking about. Only really early uppers lined up like that - by late '65 it was gone. WHy they would change the casting, I have no clue. Maybe they decided a little more strength in that area would be good? I'd have to go look at original pics of 607's to see if it's really an issue or not...depends on how crazy you want to get about it. If it means refinishing the upper, and that's the only issue, I'd pass on reprofiling it.

Nice upper BTW - original finish by the look of it. See how the lugs are black? That's correct. A lot of people think they should be grey too. Not so.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
You have great eyes! I made that statement about it lining up based off the 80% lower and an eyeball check. It did not close all the way down. Later, after studying more pictures, I lput that upper in a completed lower and found that you are correct. The good news is I'm shooting for 1965 time frame and as you state, they were gone by then. At this point I'm going to live with it either way.

The trigger group is colt stamped. I've had a lot of in-trepidation on the bolt carrier. I was thinking it should be chrome, but I believe the parked carrier with chrome bolt, gas tube and pins would be date correct. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. I'm real excited about Stoner's work for me. I know he is going to get my parts peiroid correct. I'm going to look for a local place to do the type III anodizing if I can. I have no clue if that is going to become an issue or not, time will tell.

Thanks for the expet eyes and feedback, that exactly what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Mini update:

Stoner hard at work...

Hand guards are cut down and the end cap is made also.

Really looking forward to this one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice

Im glad that barrel will get some use
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a big fan of in process photos, so I'll share a minor one. More of Stoners hard work...

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
He really has some talent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I noticed you said the upper lines up with the lower - doesn't look like it to me, sorry for mentioning it. Look at RH side under ejection port - that's what we are talking about. Only really early uppers lined up like that - by late '65 it was gone. WHy they would change the casting, I have no clue. Maybe they decided a little more strength in that area would be good? I'd have to go look at original pics of 607's to see if it's really an issue or not...depends on how crazy you want to get about it. If it means refinishing the upper, and that's the only issue, I'd pass on reprofiling it.

Nice upper BTW - original finish by the look of it. See how the lugs are black? That's correct. A lot of people think they should be grey too. Not so.
View Quote

Here's a pic of what Morg308 has pointed out, the lower lines up with the upper  .Pic of my early 607.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Here's a pic of what Morg308 has pointed out, the lower lines up with the upper  .Pic of my early 607.
<a href="http://s265.photobucket.com/user/lusciousclay/media/DCP_4413.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/lusciousclay/DCP_4413.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s265.photobucket.com/user/lusciousclay/media/DCP_4413.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/lusciousclay/DCP_4413.jpg</a>

Nice 602 bcg, does the MP bolt have a thin or thicker band?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has the thin MP band, tried to get a pic but with the flash the MP doesn't show up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the clean picture of them lining up. It should help if someone uses the thread for research.

I'm working my nerve up to start on the lower. I did one for my 603 build and learned a lot. Less of a hurry on this one as I wait on parts to be made. I'll take a couple pictures along the way.

Stoner has been great to deal with through this process. Braceman did exactly what I asked him to do. Both of these guys spent time on the phone with me talking through what I wanted to do with this project. Great guys!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
New question if I may... Which three prong would be correct for late 1965?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/5D6398B1-5B52-4459-880C-095F07A8B4CB_zpsptuupfqj.jpg
View Quote

one on the right.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

one on the right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/5D6398B1-5B52-4459-880C-095F07A8B4CB_zpsptuupfqj.jpg

one on the right.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a package headed my way tomorrow from Stoner! I can't wait. Most of the remaining parts for my 607. There still is plenty of work left, but this is a big mile stone. I'll be posting pictures when I open the box. It's Christmas eve at my house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, as promised, pictures. Always open to comments and suggestions. Boywonder, the stock and grips turned out great, thanks for finding broken ones that I could use. The best part is that I can say no good parts were harmed durning the making of this 607. Stoner's package came today. Among other things, he added to Braceman's work on my lower by drilling out the rod hole and pin locations for the stock. I'll just let the pictures talk to the quality of his work. Like Braceman, he is a true artist. I only hope I can live up to my part of the build. I am currently looking into a trust to get my SBR stamp. The barrel work will have to wait for now. I know the purists will balk at the incorrect barrel, but I assure you it will be correct when I am complete. My goal will be to have it cut and marked with an "M", then a three prong flash suppressor.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok, as promised, pictures. Always open to comments and suggestions. Boywonder, the stock and grips turned out great, thanks for finding broken ones that I could use. The best part is that I can say no good parts were harmed durning the making of this 607. Stoner's package came today. Among other things, he added to Braceman's work on my lower by drilling out the rod hole and pin locations for the stock. I'll just let the pictures talk to the quality of his work. Like Braceman, he is a true artist. I only hope I can live up to my part of the build. I am currently looking into a trust to get my SBR stamp. The barrel work will have to wait for now. I know the purists will balk at the incorrect barrel, but I assure you it will be correct when I am complete. My goal will be to have it cut and marked with an "M", then a three prong flash suppressor.

View Quote

You guys are gonna just keep pushing and pushing until I pull the trigger on a full blown NFA 607 aint ya?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You guys are gonna just keep pushing and pushing until I pull the trigger on a full blown NFA 607 aint ya?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What???   Are you calling us enablers?    Hail yeah!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

^ This.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This.

~Augee

Are there any transferable 607s ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, aren't most of Reed Knight's tool room guns technically transferrable?  

Can't speak for Cal30M1, but I was mostly talking about an SBR, though.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I was wondering that too about Reed's guns.  They would definitely be Pre-86.  If some 601's made it on to the registry I guess it's possible there's a 607 out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I'm not sure, but I would think most of Knight's would be papered as pre or post samples. Since they would have been in Colt's possession after May of 86 (I;m guessing Reed didn't get them until after 86 since they were obtained by him for payment of the Colt 2000 deal???) Wouldn't that mean that they are not transferrable?

5437, I am not positive, but I believe the barrel should have the M and VP between the frt sght legs. The few pics of original 607's that I have seen had them this way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I meant SBR. A combination of OMS, CRAFT, and the fact that 11:00 pm is like 2:00 am in Garbage Man hours made me type NFA.

Of course I WANT an NFA 607 but people in hell want ice water too!

Come on Lotto numbers!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Build one and enjoy shooting it. You know you want to... It's not that hard. All you need is money and some good retro artists, a SBR stamp, more money, time, more money, parts, did I mention money? Enabler, who said enabler? You only live once and if you don't spend it, your kids will when your gone. Heck, the parts shopping is more then half the fun. Making friends with other great members that are willing to share time and expeairance is just a bonus. Sharing your progress with others as an enabler is the cherry on top!
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Thought I would share a couple mock up pictures. Loving everything, but not digging the barrel length. SBR stamp is a must.

Keeping an eye out for a no forge forward assist upper. I'm thinking it may better match my model GX5857 marked lower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thought I would share a couple mock up pictures. Loving everything, but not digging the barrel length. SBR stamp is a must.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/155183BC-BA0C-41EC-89E0-5E8A02C4A5F0_zpszjkccqta.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/99BFAF72-F115-413A-AD78-FDBF3F601B73_zpsm2yslcit.jpg

Keeping an eye out for a no forge forward assist upper. I'm thinking it may better match my model GX5857 marked lower.
View Quote

Looks good

I have a Nodak upper I think Im going to have braceman cut the corner under the ejection port down to match up with the lower.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Keeping this thread alive and noting that John Thomas just stated he will be attempting to make the early bend gas tubes out of stainless. Now I'm not only going to have to get me one, but he has me rethinking the whole barrel. I might end up using this barrel to make my xm177E2 a little closer to correct. If I'm going through this much work to get the 607 correct, I might as well get the barrel correct. Damn, he has me thinking about the 607 again and I was busy off working on my 605...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Keeping this thread alive and noting that John Thomas just stated he will be attempting to make the early bend gas tubes out of stainless. Now I'm not only going to have to get me one, but he has me rethinking the whole barrel. I might end up using this barrel to make my xm177E2 a little closer to correct. If I'm going through this much work to get the 607 correct, I might as well get the barrel correct. Damn, he has me thinking about the 607 again and I was busy off working on my 605...
View Quote
If your state allows it, make the 607 an SBR. It will not look as good any other way, besides you've spent time, money and resources for it to look as close to the real thing without being a real machine gun version which is almost impossible to obtain.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The 607 moderator butts right up against the FSB or almost. So no way to make one look right even with a slipover without SBRing it. I gotta get in gear with the paperwork. Time to go back over to the SBR threads.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#39]
e forms is up and running for form1 do it guys as soon as i get my nodak lower in sbring that sucka.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I've often expressed my unwillingness to go through the hassle of a tax stamp for a short barrel.  Machine guns, ok, but not an SBR.
...Except, I must admit, for the 607.  This is the one model that I just can't picture owning with a longer barrel.

Nice progress on this build!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:12:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to go the SBR stamp route, but not in a hurry at this point. Looking into a trust, but that looks like it will cost as much as the rifle. Does anyone know if it is ok to own a 10 inch barrel if it is uninstalled and just being stored? I would not mind getting the barrel squared away in the mean time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
e forms is up and running for form1 do it guys as soon as i get my nodak lower in sbring that sucka.
View Quote

Remember, the e-form can be used only if you have a trust, otherwise you have to do it the long way like I did.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm going to go the SBR stamp route, but not in a hurry at this point. Looking into a trust, but that looks like it will cost as much as the rifle. Does anyone know if it is ok to own a 10 inch barrel if it is uninstalled and just being stored? I would not mind getting the barrel squared away in the mean time.
View Quote

5437,,,,,unless Pa is grossly different from most states, your trust shouldn't cost much. I paid 100 bucks for mine, as I went through a lawyer. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH A LAWYER.......you can write it up yourself. There are do-it-yourself examples online.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top