Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2013 8:46:05 PM EDT
Based upon some posts by "mike62" about faux 601 painting, I decided to give it a try.  Here's the archived post from "mike62"  601 style faux paint

Due to the fact with the recent find of original green paint over bakelite furniture that was found, I was fortunate to obtain 2 right side handguards and 2 pistol grips.  After a trade for one of the right handguards, I was able to obtain a closely matching left green painted over bakelite handguard.  With that portion complete & now in possession of original handguards and pistol grips, I still needed a green paint over bakelite buttstock.  Since I don't have the funds to purchase an original buttstock of that nature, I've choosen to give the faux paint a try.

Went to a local Hobby Town for the following supplies:

Testors 1240--Gloss Brown (base coat)
Testors 1942--Dark Tan (accent marks)
Testors 1910--Dark Green (final color)
Mr. Super Clean semi-gloss clear acrylic (final protective/finish coat)

I then dug through my spare parts and found a pretty nice type D buttstock.  Knocked out the sling swivel roll-pin, cleaned it and roughed it up a bit with 400 grit sandpaper.

Here's some pics of the base coat 1240 Gloss Brown.  It looks a little light/orange due to the flash.  The last 2 pictures are a pretty good representation of the color.  It actually has a deep darker brown look to it in real life.

Going to let this base coat dry for a couple of days then I'll try to apply the bakelite accents markings.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagging in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Very csike.  I like it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Staying tuned.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
This post is like watching paint dry----------in a good way!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Can never leave stuff alone, so actually began weathering the HG's.  I was able to pick up an original grip that shows some brown underneath so matching my faux furniture!  Looking forward to the results ar15guy!  Good Luck!

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't wait to see the finished product. I have a spare set I've been meaning to paint up while I wait for the madness to subside.

The wear on yours looks great Mike!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Update...

Let me start by saying, the guys that do this type of service (John Thomas & others), deserve everything they charge.  For an inexperienced person like myself, this is turning into numerous hours over several days.  Nonetheless, I'm learning while I go.

This is the "look" I'm going for on this buttstock, except with a little more green paint remaining...these pictures were originally posted by "57Octane":

Made a trip the local "Hobby Lobby" and talked with a young lady in the faux painting section.  Told her I was working with some old plastic parts and was trying to make them look like bakelite or embedded with flecks/flakes of fiberglass.  Surprisingly, she understood what I was talking about.  She took me to the faux sponge section and explained how to use them.  So, out the door I went with a variety bag of sea sponges.

Once home, I got out the 400 grit sandpaper to take down some of the gloss on the buttstock.  I then sprayed some of the "1942 Dark Tan" paint onto a paper plate and practiced with a couple of different sponges on some paper.  Once I felt comfortable with the process, I then moved to the buttstock.

As you can see, it turned out pretty splotchy and a lighter shade then I expected.

Not being satisfied with the result, I thought "what the heck", I'll sand it and give it another base coat and try again.  Got out the "0000' steel wool and 400 grit sandpaper again & knocked off some material and shine. I then started lightly spraying the "1240 Gloss Brown" onto the buttstock.  To my surprise & delight, things started looking better.  I then sprayed a few light passes and ended up with this result.  It is very close to what I had envisioned.

Here's some comparison pics to one of my type D stocks with some nice mottlling.

A gratuitous shot of half of my original 601 green paint over bakelite handguard set.

I'll now let this sit for a couple of days before I begin the next process.

Stay tuned....

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks real good!

I just finished this set a while back, makes me want to green over it

And hand guards... They look dark, but its the lighting
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to be obnoxious here...

It looks like you'll need sponge painting of a darker color as well as the lighter color you already did (looking at the original stock photos).

John Thomas knows, but HE's not giving up his hard-earned secrets!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been in the hospital since Sunday, got home last night and just remembered to check this thread.

All I can say is: Holy crap, this turned out good!

I guess I'll have to post in this thread if I'm motivated enough to try my hand at it any time soon. Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got around to posting some pictures of the completed stock.  It didn't turn out bad for my first attempt.

If you look closely, you can see a little of the brown mottle base coat peeking out.  Need to apply some additional "aging" so it will match the original 601 handguards and pistol grip.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top