Site Notices
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Tired of being tired
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 8:06:15 AM
I think it already has a place personally. Seriously, what better place than here? Besides, what would you call it 'The Stoner Forum' ? 'Stoner Central' ? Somehow that just has a funny ring to it.
Dogs forgive us our foibles, loving us unconditionally. Anyone who doesn't see them as a member of the family doesn't understand dogs. I'll miss you baby.
WaffenUndBier
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 9:49:35 AM
[Last Edit: 11/28/2012 9:51:51 AM by WaffenUndBier]
Stoner63A Thanks for posting that. $399 is a great deal for that MK23. Those airsoft copies are freekin' amazing. They are a great source for mock up parts. I picked one up with the hopes of shoehorning a Razorback bolt and feed set up into it. 300 days left on my current employment contract and I'm free to get to work on my list of gun projects. That will be one of the first ones.
MrM1A1
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 9:56:55 AM
[Last Edit: 11/28/2012 10:00:37 AM by MrM1A1]
Is this really going to turn into a "this topic shouldn't be here" or "we need a new subforum" thread? WTF?

Look, Aimless respectfully asked the members of this forum how we felt about this subject, and the ball is in site staff's court. If they want to split the retro forum up into dead little lonely corners of arfcom, then they're gonna do it. If not, then not.

My point is that I'm sick of seeing this come up in threads when there is already a thread to address this "issue".

I have some cool ideas to make a belt fed Stoner M63A machine gun clone on my Robinson, and will no doubt be bouncing ideas and seeking help from members around here. If that doesn't fit here, I don't know what's happening to this place.

So please, I'd like to keep the thread on topic before it morphs into something retarded I don't want to bother with anymore.

ETA: Sorry for the bitch-fest, I got like an hour of sleep last night, 1yo son is wicked sick.
kingairpilot
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 10:56:57 AM
I'm with ya. Of course, my lack of sleep came from scouring the internet for a reasonably priced M96. If you go ahead and belt feed the damn thing, prices are going to skyrocket

Personally think this and other RETROish topics should stay here.

ka
MrM1A1
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 11:03:15 AM
Originally Posted By kingairpilot:
I'm with ya. Of course, my lack of sleep came from scouring the internet for a reasonably priced M96. If you go ahead and belt feed the damn thing, prices are going to skyrocket

ka

There's a couple on GB right now, one of which is a regular retro member's.

Seems there are less and less coming up for sale as time goes on.

BTW, does anyone know how many M96's Robinson made?
Dawg180
Student of the Assault Rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 11:05:52 AM
Originally Posted By MrM1A1:

ka

Seems there are less and less coming up for sale as time goes on.

BTW, does anyone know how many M96's Robinson made?

About 5,000 IIRC, about 2500 in 1999, and then another 2500 in 2003.

Yeah, one member here has his listed for sale...only because he needs to pay for a new SL8 to G36 conversion.
"I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."
kingairpilot
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 11:06:09 AM

ka

?

Yep, saw both of them. Both seem to be earlier models, with early features, for a price I'm not willing to pay. Deals are out there, you just have to stalk them like the elusive Snipe.
MrM1A1
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 11:33:25 AM

ka

?

Yep, saw both of them. Both seem to be earlier models, with early features, for a price I'm not willing to pay. Deals are out there, you just have to stalk them like the elusive Snipe.

True, although 'reasonable' is a relative term. If I was in the market for one, I'd be buying Dawg's, but that's just me.

Good luck on the search, maybe you'll get lucky and find one at a pawn shop for under $1k.
kingairpilot
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 5:27:48 PM
Yeah, if I was seriously in the market...and had the money to spend. I just found out about a corrosion issue in an outboard that I just bought. My fun funds are tied up for a while. It's about time to go back to Afghanistan and deliver the mail. and make some more cash.

ka
MrM1A1
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/28/2012 6:02:42 PM
Yeah, if I was seriously in the market...and had the money to spend. I just found out about a corrosion issue in an outboard that I just bought. My fun funds are tied up for a while. It's about time to go back to Afghanistan and deliver the mail. and make some more cash.

ka

Hey stay safe out there, make sure EVERYONE gets their mail.

BTW, thank you for your service.
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 3:00:34 AM
The Revere 96A1 kit is for sale on Biggerhammer it aint cheap.
Ave Arbor Vitae
jrpett
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 2:47:14 PM
Originally Posted By B44T:

Is that the conversion that was posted by stevejness on the first page?
Dawg180
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 3:17:13 PM
Originally Posted By jrpett:

Yes.

Sadly, I sold my M96 on Gunbroker just days before that turned up, and found out about it only hours after it sold. Had I known I would have ponied up the cash, bought it, and started manufacturing them $13,000 is a good price being that it included all the TDP with it (techincal data package, i.e. engineering blueprints).

I could have made the $13K back in less than a year selling belt conversions for the M96!
"I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."
jrpett
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 4:00:35 PM
Originally Posted By Dawg180:

Yes.

Sadly, I sold my M96 on Gunbroker just days before that turned up, and found out about it only hours after it sold. Had I known I would have ponied up the cash, bought it, and started manufacturing them $13,000 is a good price being that it included all the TDP with it (techincal data package, i.e. engineering blueprints).

I could have made the $13K back in less than a year selling belt conversions for the M96!

The parts that were $5000, would that have been drop-in ready? What would be the reason for the $13,000 total kit? Is that so you can get measurements to manufacture more?
Dawg180
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 4:42:24 PM

Yes.

The parts that were $5000, would that have been drop-in ready? What would be the reason for the $13,000 total kit? Is that so you can get measurements to manufacture more?

$5000 was just for the parts made by Revere, the additional $7,000 was for Stoner 63 parts that were necessary to complete the whole thing, and the TDP as I understand it.

$5000 just got you the original Revere parts, you would have still needed to source or fab more parts.

jrpett
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 5:01:52 PM

Yes.

$5000 was just for the parts made by Revere, the additional $7,000 was for Stoner 63 parts that were necessary to complete the whole thing, and the TDP as I understand it.

$5000 just got you the original Revere parts, you would have still needed to source or fab more parts.

Gotcha. Yeah, that would have been a pretty expensive semi-auto beltfed.
Dawg180
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 5:06:17 PM

Yes.

Expensive for a single buyer who just wants a toy, but everything is ready in one shot, you aren't wasting months of time and money on R&D, so from a manufacturing standpoint it was a good deal. Pay $13K for the done unit with drawings, manufacture 25 units and sell them from $3,500 each, and the math works out real well.

B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 8:36:52 PM
[Last Edit: 1/12/2013 8:38:00 PM by B44T]

Yes.

Expensive for a single buyer who just wants a toy, but everything is ready in one shot, you aren't wasting months of time and money on R&D, so from a manufacturing standpoint it was a good deal. Pay $13K for the done unit with drawings, manufacture 25 units and sell them from $3,500 each, and the math works out real well.

Manufacture 250 units and sell them for $2,500 each and the math works out even better.

Sub out the casting, stamping and machining to established ( low over overhead) outfits specializing (experienced) in such things that are located in job hungry areas, like Detroit for example, to make them better faster cheaper with more of a profit margin.
Ave Arbor Vitae
Dawg180
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 8:40:25 PM
[Last Edit: 1/12/2013 8:41:21 PM by Dawg180]

Yes.

Manufacture 250 units and sell them for $2,500 each and the math works out even better.

Sub out the casting, stamping and machining to established ( low over overhead) outfits specializing (experienced) in such things that are located in job hungry areas, like Detroit for example, to make them better faster cheaper with more of a profit margin.

I have a very different opinion of the economics and market interest in it, and how much cash I would be willing to invest on a proejct for what is essentially a dead gun design with no parts support from the manufacturer, but to each their own. I only do this stuff for a living.
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 11:25:20 PM

Yes.

I have a very different opinion of the economics and market interest in it, and how much cash I would be willing to invest on a proejct for what is essentially a dead gun design with no parts support from the manufacturer, but to each their own. I only do this stuff for a living.

PM sent
Ave Arbor Vitae
jm0502
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2013 11:47:40 PM

Yes.

you could always create a new market for the m96 and maybe someone will start to produce them again.
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/13/2013 12:19:35 AM
[Last Edit: 1/13/2013 12:22:26 AM by B44T]
Since R.A., like everyone else, are backlogged with current product line items the odds are zero that they would resume production of a low volume low profit difficult to make rifle.

My gut hunch is that R.A. is not going to give away the design right to the M96 either.

Given the situation as it is I think for any one to get any "thing" made be that an accessory or custom part a group would have to get together find and some one willing to make those "thing"(s) on a pre order group buy type basis one "thing" at a time.

Ave Arbor Vitae
B44T
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/13/2013 12:25:33 AM
Originally Posted By stevejness:
Years ago, a guy made himself one if these. It was on a different forum, and I don't remember the details.

It was a long build thread, with his experiments, testing, etc. I did save some of the pictures, as I was very interested in this project for myself at the time.

Once again, I have no idea where these were originally, it was probably about 10 years ago.

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/579/99754084.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img221/1228/25637454.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img22/8012/99535380.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img152/871/16267939.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img51/4589/58364053.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/7332/34659245.png

They were posted on the now defunct M96.org

Ave Arbor Vitae
Page:  / 2
Next Page