Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2011 4:10:58 PM EDT
ETA:  A couple of photos of the converted upper are at the bottom of page 2.  Let me know if you have any ideas for me to incorporate into this build.

This post started out as a feedback request for a front sight base that I was considering using for a "special" concept-prototype build.  I got many comments, so I've incorporated some ideas and below is the rifle I'm going to try to build.  I know it looks really odd, but that's what I'm after.  I want it to look like something straight off Armalite's really early drawing board.  What do you think of this now?  Give me any other ideas you have.

Picture is below:

Thanks very much,
John Thomas

ORIGINAL POST ––

ETA:  I added a "concept" picture eight posts down showing my basic idea...

Guys,

I'm considering doing a "fictional" prototype build... something in the very early spirit, but very funky and way different, but yet still looks like it could have came from the early builders' shop.

I may use the front sight base pictured below, but I'd like some opinions on it.

Take a look and let me know if you think it looks too "not retro" or too "junky".  If I were to use it, I'd probably cut the bottom "block" off and weld up the seam, then use taper pins as normally used.

What do you think?

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
John, it looks kinda AKish to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say it looks OK for a fantasy prototype...  

If I had it, I'd mill a vertical slot in the 'tower'...and weld & cut the base like you said...  

Who makes it???
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to see more of the fictional prototype.  Without that, it's too hard for me to visualize if it would look out of place or cool.

Also interested in who made it.  I've been looking for something similar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
who made it...

I don't know who made it, but I'd guess whoever did is long out of the business of making them.  I got it in trade many years ago.  With today's popularity of "flat tops", optics, fold down front sights, gas blocks, etc., I can't imagine these still being made.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one of those,  came in a batch of parts I bought of of GB. It was made of aluminum and it was very light. I  traded it another member for a featherweight build he was doing. Later he told me when he tightened down on the screws, one of them stripped out on him, and he had to drill and tap for larger screws. He also said adjusting the the sight post was a pain because the clearance for his sight tool was kinda tight.

I thought it looked more modern (kinda like one of those folding BUIS things in the up position) than retro though
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it belongs on a space gun (High Power Team)
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Reworked as you mention I can totally see it on a period "what if" weapon. U da man JT. Can't wait to see what you cook up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd have to see more of the fictional prototype.  Without that, it's too hard for me to visualize if it would look out of place or cool.

I'm thinking something along the lines of my rough concept picture below... If I make this, I may even go balls-deep and do one of the early AR10 "lawn mower muffler" type muzzle brakes.  I might end up in jail if I made one though... someone would likely think I was trying to make a silencer.

What do you think?

Thanks,
John Thomas

"Lawn mower muffler" muzzle brake:
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking something along the lines of my rough concept picture below... If I do this, I may even go balls-deep and do one of the early AR10 "lawn mower muffler" type muzzle brakes.  I might end up in jail if I made one though... someone would likely think I was trying to make a silencer.

What do you think?

Thanks,
John Thomas

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/prototypeconcept.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/lawnmowermuffler.jpg

if you went to the pokey, your skills would be wasted on license plates.  but there would be some cool retro looking license plates coming out of the bayou.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
John,

I think if the protective ears were flared outward like a normal AR sight, you'd have something.

As it is now, it looks AK or SKS'ish.

And obviously weld up the underside.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got the same sight block. Forget where I got it. I've been thinking of using it on a retro build too.

John, The pic looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
JT, I got nothing against you doing this.

As long as there are pictures of course.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree that it doesn't really look "AR", but with the earliest protos, no one knew yet what ARs looked like, so why not this?

Must say, I love your projects.  Will be very interested to see what you do for a charging handle on this one!
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
someone would likely think I was trying to make a silencer Dildo

What do you think?

Thanks,
John Thomas

I think your concept looks really cool, and that front sight would work too.  I especially like the idea of the carry handle.  The fact that the front sight looks AKish is ok with me. If you go back to when they would have first been trying to design a semi automatic rifle like the AR series, there werent too many other lightweight "assault rifle" designs out there actually being fielded by anyone.  If ideas were goigng to be taken from anywhere it would have probably been the AK47 or the MP44, possibly even the FAL (carrying handl idea)
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, I never realized how many cases of lawn mower muffler silencer hits there are on the internet.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you think you could cut an angle on the back of the FSB, and cut out a hole or recess to make it look like one of the prototype's?  Is this made of aluminum or steel?
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you think you could cut an angle on the back of the FSB, and cut out a hole or recess to make it look like one of the prototype's?  Is this made of aluminum or steel?

I could cut a slot in the middle. The FSB is made from aluminum.

I'm still contemplating this whole thing.  I judge by the lack of comments (concerning the "concept" rifle picture) that the overall consensus is this idea might be too far out (or too ugly).

John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still contemplating this whole thing.  I judge by the lack of comments (concerning the "concept" rifle picture) that the overall consensus is this idea might be too far out (or too ugly).

John Thomas

John

that is just not the right look for a Prototype.  It has the look of an AK and that is not even in the same ballpark.

My 2 cents worth.

Ed

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

John Thomas

Can not look any more far out than some of Stoner's first ones.  Can not.

I say go for it.  Give us one good reason why not.  The main question we all will want to know is, howzit shoot?

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I might be in the minority here, but I think it could work for some type of retro-modern prototype.

Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I might be in the minority here, but I think it could work for some type of retro-modern prototype.

Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

Steam punk AR prototype?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I remembered seeing a similar front sight somewhere so, I dug around in my reference pictures.

I think that's a prototype LMG version of the AR-10. Perhaps the design "could have been" repurposed as an AR15 prototype of some kind? There's a photo of a prototype sniper rifle at Rock Island with the AR-10 style muzzle brake. Maybe it could be some kind of "stealth LMG"?

Quoted:
Steam punk AR prototype?  

~Augee

I had an idea like that oddly enough. Involved machining the upper and lower out of brass, a wood stock, and a big brass barrel jacket instead of hand guards. My lack of machine tools make that difficult though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remembered seeing a similar front sight somewhere so, I dug around in my reference pictures.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/GKCF/Internet%20photos/ar10lmg.jpg

I think that's a prototype LMG version of the AR-10. Perhaps the design "could have been" repurposed as an AR15 prototype of some kind? There's a photo of a prototype sniper rifle at Rock Island with the AR-10 style muzzle brake. Maybe it could be some kind of "stealth LMG"?

Quoted:
Steam punk AR prototype?  

~Augee

I had an idea like that oddly enough. Involved machining the upper and lower out of brass, a wood stock, and a big brass barrel jacket instead of hand guards. My lack of machine tools make that difficult though.

Now that would make for a cool AR15 build
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally I'm all for increasing the diversity of AR builds out there. I say go for it! And while my loyalty ultimately lies with carry handles, I have also secretly wanted to experiment with cut-down carry handles as fixed rear sight bases like in your picture. Honestly though if it were me I'd try if at all possible to go with the squared-off Ar-10 style mag well, I think it would fit the sort of 'cold' industrial (maybe even old-german) look better. I don't know why hardly anyone makes squared-off lowers.

... I've been waiting for someone to start working on a steam-punk ar-15... Definitely wood furniture, maybe gold-inlaid engraving. For me what would really do it is an optic disguised as a vintage brass telescope. Bring on the case-mods!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/3-Brass-Telescope-Pirate-Spyglass-Maritime-Mini-/21/!B9EI7ygBGk~$(KGrHqQOKooEy+jCy1bvBM4uP32Gkw~~_35.JPG
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking something along the lines of my rough concept picture below... If I make this, I may even go balls-deep and do one of the early AR10 "lawn mower muffler" type muzzle brakes.  I might end up in jail if I made one though... someone would likely think I was trying to make a silencer.

What do you think?

Thanks,

John Thomas

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/prototypeconcept.jpg

THIS?

Beyond nifty!!!  That's just plain SEXY!!!

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Personally I'm all for increasing the diversity of AR builds out there. I say go for it! And while my loyalty ultimately lies with carry handles, I have also secretly wanted to experiment with cut-down carry handles as fixed rear sight bases like in your picture. Honestly though if it were me I'd try if at all possible to go with the squared-off Ar-10 style mag well, I think it would fit the sort of 'cold' industrial (maybe even old-german) look better. I don't know why hardly anyone makes squared-off lowers.

... I've been waiting for someone to start working on a steam-punk ar-15... Definitely wood furniture, maybe gold-inlaid engraving. For me what would really do it is an optic disguised as a vintage brass telescope. Bring on the case-mods!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/3-Brass-Telescope-Pirate-Spyglass-Maritime-Mini-/21/!B9EI7ygBGk~$(KGrHqQOKooEy+jCy1bvBM4uP32Gkw~~_35.JPG

Maybe something like this?

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#28]
No.  No.  NO!

No StEamPunK allowed....

Wrong forum.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry, but the Steampunk thing isn't my style.  I can appreciate the work that goes into those types of things though.

WIth NoDak's announcement of the AR10B handguard availability, I've pretty much decided I'm going to make this "concept" rifle a reality.  Thanks Mike... more money going out.  Now... does anyone have a cheap used barrel they want to sell cheap?  Did I mention I need to find a cheap barrel?

I have some great ideas for making the "total package" for this concept rifle.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Step 1 is almost done (carry handle, Brunton bump, and forward assist removed from the upper; ejection port re-profiled).  A long ways to go...

John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Step 1 is almost done (carry handle, Brunton bump, and forward assist removed from the upper; ejection port re-profiled).  A long ways to go...

John Thomas

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/P1300282.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/P1300281.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/prototypeconcept2.jpg

John, are you going to pin the rear sight like they do on match uppers to keep the sight lug from twisting too much?

since you've cut the sight tower down so much, the spring and ball that is normally installed in the front face of the rear sight lug (keeps the rear sight tightly turned to the right) has nothing to press against now....or aren't you using an A2 rear sight lug?
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/P1300282.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/P1300281.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/jntmjt1/prototypeconcept2.jpg

John, are you going to pin the rear sight like they do on match uppers to keep the sight lug from twisting too much?

since you've cut the sight tower down so much, the spring and ball that is normally installed in the front face of the rear sight lug (keeps the rear sight tightly turned to the right) has nothing to press against now....or aren't you using an A2 rear sight lug?

I don't plan to use an A2 rear sight unless I have to... I have another idea.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Mr. Thomas,

This is cool as hell.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#34]
John, check your mailbox - I may have a solution for your moderator problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#35]
One might try this to solve any port cover and charging handle issues.  These are actual photos of a special toolroom Portuguese AR10 bolt.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Okay, you have me curious, as I would be interested in something similar for my 16" Beowulf project.  The ONE flash hider that was in stock at Midway didn't do much for hiding the flash, and the KA0450 brakes seem to be perpetually out of stock.  Please PM me with your solution?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#37]
forward assist –– did you weld a plug in?

cheap barrel –– I have a couple barrels of unknown provenance (they are marked with M or maybe W), unknown rifling, non chromed, no pin grooves, LW profile. They came in parts kits and are kind of... well let's just say I was not impressed. They were definitely built to a price point rather than a quality standard.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

PM please? I'm intrigued; I've been poring over my copy of The Black Rifle ever since I got my nodak handguards, and instead of making a pseudo dissy, I want to try and do a carbine build with a "lawnmower muffler" compensator pinned to 16 inches. This would also involve chopping the handguards and making some kind of shroud for where the handguards end to the fsb. Maybe someone has done this before? I'm going to be on the lookout for suitable donor compensators too. Maybe one of the airsoft-ish fake cans and judicious use of a drill press?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Hognose,

I sent you a PM concerning your barrels.

The forward assist hole is just filled with epoxy for now.  I may weld it up... we'll see how this all goes.

Thanks,
John Thomas
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 3:24:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM please? I'm intrigued; I've been poring over my copy of The Black Rifle ever since I got my nodak handguards, and instead of making a pseudo dissy, I want to try and do a carbine build with a "lawnmower muffler" compensator pinned to 16 inches. This would also involve chopping the handguards and making some kind of shroud for where the handguards end to the fsb. Maybe someone has done this before? I'm going to be on the lookout for suitable donor compensators too. Maybe one of the airsoft-ish fake cans and judicious use of a drill press?

Check out the thread that John posted regarding this question - aimed at me. I think it'll answer your question. Basically I'm sending him a faux, slip over suppressor to modify. It'll be just for looks, but it's about the right size and shape I think.

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

except for the compensator, it sounds like postino's prototype carbine

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/174e2b89.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/171dfaf4.jpg

That's just about exactly what I'm after.

ETA: Is that a 607 stock? Where can these be had???
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

until my605pan starts messin' with AR stuff again, Total Silence is the only place I know of for the stocks
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Kind of an FALAR10  A-1/2?

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

until my605pan starts messin' with AR stuff again, Total Silence is the only place I know of for the stocks

Hmm...I may just shorten a donor stock then. Anyone know how long the 607 stock is when collapsed?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top