BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Retro Sidearms (Page 4 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 7:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster] [#1]
A word on Hipower clones for those that can't afford a Belgian or Canadian one:  Besides Belgium, US, and Canada, Argentina and Hungary made 100% clones.  THe early Hungarian made ones, I was told, were for contracts in Malaysia, etc.  Only the earliest Hungarian ones were true P35 copies, and are marked only FEG 9mm.  Every part is 100% interchangeable. THese are easily identified by the base of the grip being straight like the belgium ones.  Later Hungarian had a swell at the base, and some others slightly changed lines and added vent ribs, etc.  From what I can find out, they also made other internal changes.  I got my Hungarian from a guy that handles lots of hipowers and he only had the earliest Hungarian ones like mine.  THey are a good buy for the buck.  I got mine for $219, but if you are careful to avoid the later ones, you can still find an early one for under $300.  I did about 50 rounds of mixed ammo (FMJ and HPs) 100% function, and it was dead-nuts on at 10-15 yards.

EDIT:  I just checked and he has several more early ones for $219.00 that are parkerized.  Maybe from far east?????
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 7:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster] [#2]
double tap OOOOPS
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Morg308:
I couldn't wait until I got it - this is the seller's pic. I should have it soon. It was built supposedly by a Fort Benning armorer for the Army Marksmanship unit. I have no reason to not believe it. I've wanted another 1911 since I sold my last one to pay bills 25 years ago, and decided that turning 50 was as good a reason as any. I can't wait to shoot the thing!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/Morg308/AMU2.jpg

That looks like the Match grade pistols I shot in the Navy Pacific Fleet and All Navy matches back in the 1980s.  They all shot extremely well.  Nice catch!
Ralph

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By imarangemaster:
A word on Hipower clones for those that can't afford a Belgian or Canadian one:  Besides Belgium, US, and Canada, Argentina and Hungary made 100% clones.  THe early Hungarian made ones, I was told, were for contracts in Malaysia, etc.  Only the earliest Hungarian ones were true P35 copies, and are marked only FEG 9mm.  Every part is 100% interchangeable. THese are easily identified by the base of the grip being straight like the belgium ones.  Later Hungarian had a swell at the base, and some others slightly changed lines and added vent ribs, etc.  From what I can find out, they also made other internal changes.  I got my Hungarian from a guy that handles lots of hipowers and he only had the earliest Hungarian ones like mine.  THey are a good buy for the buck.  I got mine for $219, but if you are careful to avoid the later ones, you can still find an early one for under $300.  I did about 50 rounds of mixed ammo (FMJ and HPs) 100% function, and it was dead-nuts on at 10-15 yards.

EDIT:  I just checked and he has several more early ones for $219.00 that are parkerized.  Maybe from far east?????

Stephen A. Camp, shorthly before he unfortunately passed away earlier this year, long before his due time, recommended this website for detailed information on the FEG guns:

FEG info here

Stephen's most excellent website is still operational, and well worth reading the reviews and stories archived there.  The family has his disassembly manuals and other very useful publications still available for purchase here:

Stephen A Camp Hipower site

Rangemaster, could you be persuaded to tell us who might have the older FEG's for $219?
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The gunbroker seller is "gcolecoledist"  Auction search "FEG High Power"  Then check all his auctions LOTS of original BHPs, FEGs Israeli Kareem HPs, S&W and Beretta police trade ins.  I think he has a couple FM Argentine High Powers, too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My man.  Thanks very much!
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#8]
BTT, this one needs a sticky.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
This my everyday carry gun. Colt 70 series. I saw some others that weren't blued. Ivory grips make it retro? Nothing like the feel of ivory.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 9:18:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexasRifleman] [#11]

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 9:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: motorpirate] [#12]
Here's my "Rhodesian". It will be familiar to anyone who lurks on the CZ site.
Most over there wanted me to refinish it.  NOT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Or my S&W  M&P .22lr Postal training revolver??
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#14]
1930 dated Colt Police Positive in .38 Special. Can't wait to get home and shoot it!

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is my 1911A1 on my XM177 clone..

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8324/stuff027.jpg

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cb7] [#17]
Originally Posted By 86HMMWV:

Nice!

Yeah. Love the simple look of the park'd GI version. What's the make?

I've always thought 1911's look like they were desgned by both a firearms genius and an artist! I also think "Last Man Standing" is mandatory viewing for any 1911 fan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cb7:
I also think "Last Man Standing" is mandatory viewing for any 1911 fan.

I bought that DVD right after I bought my 1911.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I also think "Last Man Standing" is mandatory viewing for any 1911 fan.

I bought that DVD right after I bought my 1911.

That does it. I'm going to get some grub, rent the movie, and park my butt on the couch for a while.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By 57Octane:

I only have one retro side arm at the moment. I always wanted a Colt 1911 so on my 21st birthday I went to the gun shop, came across the 1918 Black Army replica and snatched it up. The guy threw in a free drink too.

I threw together a couple of retro photo collage things to practice my "prop" making skills and my photography skills.

I was going for the ATF theme using 1918 period items. I kind of doubt they had Sazerac Rye back then but, the bottle looked the part. Everything else you see in the picture is "fake". There's not a single real vintage piece in there.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/GKCF/Militaria/1918colfrposting.jpg

This one is more WW2 inspired. A proper WW2 era pistol is on my "to buy/build" list. The cartridge box in this picture is the real deal, head stamped 1942.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/GKCF/Militaria/ww2colfrposting.jpg

I'd really love to get my hands on a 1911 from 1911. I'm also on the watch for a 1900/1902 Colt .38 auto. Not much of a problem finding so much as it is funding.

That would be difficult, Colt did not begin production of the 1911 until March of 1912.

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice!

Yeah. Love the simple look of the park'd GI version. What's the make?

I've always thought 1911's look like they were desgned by both a firearms genius and an artist! I also think "Last Man Standing" is mandatory viewing for any 1911 fan.

'43 Rem-Rand with mid -80's USGI parts for a late "rebuild" Desert Storm look.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff517/TexasRetro556/6575ce2a.jpg

Is that a Seiko?  Kinda retro.

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#23]
Got the .45 but haven't shot it yet - need to pick up ammo & find the time, but it's the tightest 1911 I've ever handledd, and the trigger is phenomenal! Feels like 4# with no takeup or creep. Unbelievably clean break. I can't friggin' wait!

ETA: Motorpirate - tell us more about that 'Rhodesian' I like the look of it. Looks like a CZ model of Hi-power...Any good links?
ETA2: Olgunner sent me a flat backstrap and a Remington Rand slide for it - now to find a barrel, bushing and have it fitted - it'd be nice to have a spare 'carry' setup, and keep the Nm slide & barrel for range time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Mine has an '80 chamber date and a Z2279 ser # added to the frame/slide/barrel. Zimbabwe? Think it was ordered by the Rhodies, delivered to the Zims where it made its way to S.A. it has early Century import marks ( late '80s early '90s) and I bought it here in the States. Functions as well and as accurately as my like new Pre "B" 's  Sure wish it could talk...... Here's 7 yr old Nick "Bangin' away"
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By yankee-V:

Guns & Liquor, a great idea....  

Nice hammerless

Thirty-five years ago, when I lived in CA., there was a gun store a few blocks from my house.  It's name was "Hiram's Guns and Spirits"  One side was a liquor store and the other was the gun shop.  You could move between the two as it was the same building and owner.  Always thought that was kind of odd, especially for CA.  I wonder if they are still in business.
Ralph

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
In the 1970s in Watsonville, CA, there was "Country Cousin's" liquor, guns, and fishing tackle.  Bough my Ruger 10-22 there in 1973, as well as other guns and hunting and fishing licenses.  No longer there.  In fact, Valley Spoprts, which was a large gunshop and sporting goods store also in Watsonville, is long gone, too.  Small gunshops are nearly extinct in California, now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Some better pics of my Police Positive. A little rough but not bad for a $210 pistol that's over 80 years old.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I love this thread, but I was thinking "retro handguns are the ones issued with retro rifles" and I don't have any of those. The handguns we were issued were the 1911A1 and then the M9.

But then, at least in my outfit, we didn't always carry the issued handguns (local commanders had leeway to authorize personal weapons, which most commanders did not / do not have the risk appetite to do). So here's what I actually carried when I was in the 10th SF Group in 1980-85 and 11th SF Group 1988-94. Is that retro enough?

Main carry piece, replaced a personal Beretta 92SBC which replaced a 92S. I got the early 92S when guys made fun of me for the gun I was carrying when I got to the unit. Ridicule is a powerful motivator of gun changes. But when I could, I upgraded from the Berettas to a CZ. Sorry for the crummy picture.

This is of course a CZ 75, no import marks, well used, Pachmayr grips. I have the original grips... in the box with the original paperwork and factory target. There are no import marks because I acquired it overseas and imported it myself. This particular weapon was made in 1987 (and it was factory marked with the SN on frame, slide and barrel... probably because some European gun laws (notably Germany's) require that.

Backup piece. Carried when a full-size handgun was not concealable (not a problem on my 40# heavier frame these days, unfortunately) or as a secondary gun, in a trouser pocket usually. War-era Walther PPK. The original bakelite grips disintegrated (as they are prone to do) and I ordered wooden grips from Walther directly. They sent me a target grip. (For a PPK? WTF?). Well, I made it work.

Tertiary piece. Bauer .25. This was actually bought for a particular purpose, for our twice weekly team swims. I did not (and do not) like being completely unarmed, and I remembered my uncle had one of these, a stainless copy of the old Baby Browning. Hey, stainless, you can swim with it. So I bought one at some gun shop and that's exactly what I did with it.

It even includes retro grunge... I put the stainless to a hell of a test, I swam with it, occasionally fired it, and apart from taking it apart after swims to shake the water out, have never cleaned it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice harness, there's a blast from the past.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imarangemaster] [#32]
Love the Browning Hipower!  You need to get a canadian P51 holster like i did for mine with the external spare mag pouch.  I also picked up some Belgian dual pocket spare mag pouches! I love my HP.  If it is good enough for SAS, it is good enough for me.  Besides, I shoot my BHP better than any other handgun I have shot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 10:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uxb] [#33]
Where did you get the Canadian holster?

That is what I carried my P35 in when I was in El Salvador.

Is the mag pouch on yours metal-lined?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep, metal lined.  I paid about $45 for it.  I think the guy I got it from had more.  I'll dig out his info for you.
Bernie
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you, sir.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By uxb:
Thank you, sir.  

I IM'ed you some links.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By OlGunner:
BERETTA 92's AIN'T RETRO!!

Sorry. Had to be said!

I remember being issued my 92 in the 80's. Wasn't happy to give up my 1911A1 but wanted to give the peashooter a fair shot.  Didn't really like the grip shape, but that's a personal thing colored by years of working the .45.
The 92 was a decent shooter––good accuracy. Nice range gun. And it was fun having the high-cap mag.  I worked it enough to accept (not like, but accept) the DA first shot and even learned to trust the decocker.
But it turned into too darn much work to keep them running. Tolerances were tight for a military weapon and coupled with low-bid ammo, hard-to-clear jams were common. Even on the training range, they had to be kept scrupulously cleaned and lubed.  Would have hated to rely on them in a field environment. (Disclaimer––this may have changed by now. Ours were among the earliest M9s delivered.)

The real problem, though, was the slide destruction. when I left the armory, I had 11 (or 13?) case files on my desk of slide separation. The propaganda of the day said there were only one or two incidents, among the SEAL teams, when they were using special-purpose ammo.  Well, I can tell you that was BS.  The problem was the metallurgy and slide design. The slide recesses for the locking lug block simply made the sidewalls too thin.
The temporary "fix" at the time I left was a JCS instruction to replace the slides every 1,000 rounds. (Yep, one thousand rounds––I'm not missing a digit there.)  Considering we had 110 M9s (iirc) and would put 5k-10k through each during a full training program, that was a ridiculous solution, even n a temporary basis.  We did it, of course (I had to scramble all over to find enough replacement slides to keep us going), and upon inspection, found an unacceptably high percentage of cracked slides.  I always wondered how long they would have lasted without the slide replacements.
Of course, then there was the longer-term groove & pin "fix".  It wouldn't stop the breakage, but was supposed to stop the rear of the slide from hitting you in the face when it came apart.  Real reassuring in a life-and-death situation.

Like I said, I'm sure they've improved the metallurgy significantly since then, and maybe loosened the tolerances (or improved the ammo), so they're probably a much better service pistol now than they were originally.  But back then, I put mine back in the vault and retrieved my 1911A1.
...Which, tragically, I have no photos of–– but in the interest of getting back to the topic of the forum, I can tell you it was a WWII-era Union Switch & Signal like the one in the pic below (lifted from the web), except mine wasn't nearly as pretty as this one...
Mine was tuned and refinished (parked), so it wouldn't have the collector value it once did, but it was a good pistol.  Sure wish I owned it now.

Incidentally, the other Gunners at the armory who opted to keep .45s fought over Colts.  I was the only one who wanted the USS.  I'd like to say it was because I was retro, even back then...but to be honest, I just liked the USS logo.  

http://www.model1911a1.com/images/US&S/1096237L.jpg

I lived half a block from the US&S factory.  

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#39]
My retro sleepin buddy!

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 10:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uboat534] [#42]
Not sure if any of these apply but here is my retro stuff.  Left to right P-38 AC41, Paps US&S 1911,  Waa marked Highpower, Washington Steel defense contrator marked Victory S&W ,Inglis MK I* highpower and Gladys my personal carry weapon.  Ironicly paps 1911 was made 25 miles from his home of record and the S&W is from the same  steel company he retired from.  Which is up the road from me and it was bought in GA in a pawn shop off base from FT. Stewart.  I brought it back to PA when I left active duty.  small world

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By uboat534:
Not sure if any of these apply but here is my retro stuff.  Left to right P-38 AC41, Paps US&S 1911,  Waa marked Highpower, Washington Steel defense contrator marked Victory S&W ,Inglis MK I* highpower and Gladys my personal carry weapon.  Ironicly paps 1911 was made 25 miles from his home of record and the S&W is from the same  steel company he retired from.  Which is up the road from me and it was bought in GA in a pawn shop off base from FT. Stewart.  I brought it back to PA when I left active duty.  small world

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/uboat534/DSC_0016.jpg

Aren't Union Switch & Signal 1911's somewhat rare?
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
"Aren't Union Switch & Signal 1911's somewhat rare?"

The very first 45 handed to me in the military was a Union Switch & Signal, and I never saw another.  I remember thinking there were supposed to be very few manufactured.  After that, all I remember were Remington Rand guns, which is not surprising considering the production numbers.

Some numbers I dug out of Clawson's Collector's Guide to the Colt .45 Service Pistols Models of 1911 & 1911A1, for WWII Ordnance District Procurement Records:

Remington Rand:  877,751
Colt 575,632 (not including pre-December 1941 production)
Ithaca 335,466
US&S 55,000 "exactly" (production terminated in October 1943)
Singer 500 (educational order).

Note that Remington Rand produced almost as many as Colt and Ithaca put together, but as Clawson says, Colt was also busy with machine gun production.  Also note that some or all of the WWII production numbers except for US&S may be approximate.  There was, as they say, a war on.

Clawson notes the following about US&S:  "As a general rule, US&S produced high quality pistols, and did not experience the serious production difficulties that were experienced by Ithaca and Remington Rand."

I am told that if you see a Singer, it's almost certainly a fake, but I'm no expert on any of these.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Andouille:

The very first 45 handed to me in the military was a Union Switch & Signal, and I never saw another.  I remember thinking there were supposed to be very few manufactured.  After that, all I remember were Remington Rand guns, which is not surprising considering the production numbers.

Some numbers I dug out of Clawson's Collector's Guide to the Colt .45 Service Pistols Models of 1911 & 1911A1, for WWII Ordnance District Procurement Records:

Ithaca 335,466

Note that Remington Rand produced almost as many as Colt and Ithaca put together, but as Clawson says, Colt was also busy with machine gun production.  Also note that some or all of the WWII production numbers except for US&S may be approximate.  There was, as they say, a war on.

Clawson notes the following about US&S:  "As a general rule, US&S produced high quality pistols, and did not experience the serious production difficulties that were experienced by Ithaca and Remington Rand."

I am told that if you see a Singer, it's almost certainly a fake, but I'm no expert on any of these.

Thanks for that.

So US&S made both M1911's and 1911A1's? The one that uboat posted is an M1911.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/uboat534/DSC_0016.jpg

Aren't Union Switch & Signal 1911's somewhat rare?

Not as rare as the Singers, but pretty hard to find, complete and in decent condition.  That's one I'd still like to add to my humble collection.
They're especially nice, of course, when they have a family history!  Nice little selection of retro handguns, UBoat!
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Andouille:

Ithaca 335,466

Thanks for that.

So US&S made both M1911's and 1911A1's? The one that uboat posted is an M1911.

Good eye.  I am NOT an expert, but I don't believe US&S made any 1911s.  If UBoat cares to share some closeups and the SN range, we might be able to learn more.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Its an A-1 with an early spring housing.  The frame is RCD so my guess is it was prob replaced at some point.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got a few "retro" side arms to share....

Model 34 Beretta marked "Gardcne V.T. 1938 XVI"  

1941 Colt "Service Ace"

WWII 1911A1

WWI 1911

WWI & WWII P08 Lugers

WWII P38
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Its an A-1 with an early spring housing.  The frame is RCD so my guess is it was prob replaced at some point.

Thanks, uboat. Wasn't trying to detract from your pistol, but just curious. It's far nicer than anything I'll probably ever own.
Page / 13
Retro Sidearms (Page 4 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top