Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2010 3:14:02 PM EDT
I have the kit en-route from Gunthings and plan on touching base with Nodak later this week for a lower.  I've ordered a book from Brownells to help me get through the process.

I've got pin punches,a brass face hammer, gunsmith screwdrivers, and torque wrenches.  I guess I need a barrel installation tool but can't quite decipher what exactly to get.  Will I need more than the multi-tool to get the barrel on?  What about blocks to hold the receiver while I attach the barrel?

Any and all input will be appreciated.

Pav
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like after you get your armorer's wrench (multitool) and vise block, you'll be set. Just make sure you have a sturdy workbench with a vise. I ordered my armorer's wrench and vise block from Bushmaster, and I've been quite pleased with them both.

ETA: Make sure you have masking tape, and tape around the roll pin holes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Read through the tacked  "step by step" thread in the build it yourself forum a couple of times. You should get the idea. They are really easy to build. If you run into any snags, there is always the hometown forum. Someone close by may be willing to lend a helping hand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
A set of vice blocks (action blocks) from Brownell's.  And a standard barrel wrench.  Some roll Pin Starter punches will make life easier; also from brownells.
and a good bench vise.

Sounds like you got it covered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2010 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a USGI combo tool along with my $35 torque wrench I got at an auto outlet store to torque my barrels into the upper. I have the upper block from Brownell's which is a big advance over the old aluminum barrel blocks i used on my first build in '85.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top