Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2010 7:18:57 AM EDT
Hi all, I'm an AK builder usually, but I have a thing for AR's as well.

I'm building a 177e2 inspired carbine from bushmaster parts, and wanted to get another .22lr conversion to use in it as I have a spikes that I use in my a1 colt and I love it. But I have been working on a mag design for a while to use some 20rd GI mag bodies and use guts from a BDM or other .22lr mag to adapt it to fit the ar.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before, if so I would love to see some pics or hear some ideas..   I really like being able to shoot .22 from an ar, but I just want a correct 'looking' mag for my 177 build

anyway, thanks for the views..  
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Silley,

US Mil. conversion used a small .22 magazine designed to be inserted in a standard 20rd (or may be 30rd too) 5,56mm magazine. I don't know if they are still available in the US but here in Belgium, such magazine (without the 5.56 body) can be found for about 20€ a piece.

regards,
Gabriel
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi all, I'm an AK builder usually, but I have a thing for AR's as well.

I'm building a 177e2 inspired carbine from bushmaster parts, and wanted to get another .22lr conversion to use in it as I have a spikes that I use in my a1 colt and I love it. But I have been working on a mag design for a while to use some 20rd GI mag bodies and use guts from a BDM or other .22lr mag to adapt it to fit the ar.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before, if so I would love to see some pics or hear some ideas..   I really like being able to shoot .22 from an ar, but I just want a correct 'looking' mag for my 177 build

anyway, thanks for the views..  

Easier to just buy a kit.There are also the 10 rd inserts that fit into any standard AR mag.Here is an airfoce kit for sale from a very reputable member of this site.A very Quiet gentlman for sure,and a HUGE + 1 from anyone who has dealt with him in the past.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166395986

Link Posted: 4/25/2010 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
woah! you guys are great! that's way better than building it!!

thank you!
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
here's a m261..the 10 shot mag adapter fits into a GI 20 or 30 round mag
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks cracked,saves me from trying to find my insert!
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
ya so...   I bought that m261 on GB. can't wait to get it!! I'll be getting the rest of my build parts except for the 11.5" bbl tomorrow. So I'll post pics after the big brown truck shows up
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ya so...   I bought that m261 on GB. can't wait to get it!! I'll be getting the rest of my build parts except for the 11.5" bbl tomorrow. So I'll post pics after the big brown truck shows up

I think you'll be happy with that set up....I really enjoy mine

here's a link to someone with a couple mag inserts for sale
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
TM for M261 conversion

Sarco  did have replacement parts
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
just thought I would post an update.

I already got the m261 conversion and mag adapter, tried them in my incomplete rifle build(still waiting on 11.5" barrel) and it fits great and cycles by hand very well.

Thanks again to all who posted, I'll toss some pics up here when I get it finished.
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok,we'll let ya slide on the pics for now,,the usual reply is" no you did'nt receive anything as it doesn't exsist without pics"..Please do post the pics when you can.Would luv to see it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
ok sniper..   just for you. I was going to save these until I got all my parts, but here's what I got so far

I had two goals with this rifle: use all Bushy parts, and somewhat resemble a 177e2.

Here's the m261, the mags are Bushmaster SS models that I stripped the black paint off of.

Upper, lower and stock

and the rest of the stuff..

I should have my barrel by monday, and also bought a barska 4x20 scope that I haven't picked up from cabela's.

Link Posted: 4/28/2010 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
that's lookin' good so far...you should use the 45Bravo modified Bushy superlight barrel and  moderator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 2:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]
wow, that's hot! too bad I already ordered my 11.5 from BM..    oh well, I can always get another upper
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a great start Brother! yea,we LUV before,during and after pics here in retroland..thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks sniper, I'll post more pics tomorrow as my barrel will be here in the AM

Mike- I am actually not sure what a 723 is, I'm new to the retro's, but I will do some searching..

and btw- you guys are great(NDS) I bought my yugo m72 rec from you a few months ago and I love it!

edit: looks like the 723 is a 16" hbar from what I found. Funny, my barrel wasn't done yet and I almost changed my order to that exact one!!  Maybe I'll build another upper this summer when I'm making more $$
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I see..    thanks for the cool pic, now I don't have any excuses for not knowing
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually, the 723 has a 14.5" pencil barrel, and is my favorite Carbine variant.

I used the Bushy 16" Superlight barrel on mine.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35327Colt_catalog.jpg

...or a 723 can be set up with A2 profile barrel and M203 cut like this

Commonly referred to as a M16A2 Carbine, slang as "CAR-15" or "M4", 8 million serial number range, 1987-?:

(taken fromEkie's Guide)
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that's lookin' good so far...you should use the 45Bravo modified Bushy superlight barrel and  moderator.
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/MVC-664S.jpg

Those look great!  I hope he gets mine done soon.  I don't know how long he's had it, but it's been awhile now...

My M261 seems to jam alot, don't use it too much.  I do like the way it sounds with my 733 replica and Gemtech M4-02 suppressor, though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2010 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/MVC-664S.jpg

Those look great!  I hope he gets mine done soon.  I don't know how long he's had it, but it's been awhile now...

My M261 seems to jam alot, don't use it too much.  I do like the way it sounds with my 733 replica and Gemtech M4-02 suppressor, though.

mine runs like a top using CCI mini-mags
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#22]
well, I have since finished my rifle, and shot it today.

two problems:

with .223 it doesn't seem to eject. the empty case comes out of the chamber, but stays on top of the next round being chambered and jams the bolt halfway. I tried 3 different brand new bushmaster mags and it didn't change. I inspected the cases that did not eject, and they have a mark from the extractor and a small mark where the ejector hit the back of the case, so I'm not sure what it could be? It's not short stroking, as it is coming all the way back and stripping another round just fine.

the other problem is the m261 kit.

I am a little reluctant to mention this, but out of the box it was double firing with one trigger pull and the 3rd round the bolt would close(on a live round) and the hammer was not reset.
it made me nervous, as I have never had a firearm do this. I'm not even sure where to go with this problem at the moment.

I'm a bit frustrated, having spent $1400 on brand new bushmaster parts and ending up with something that doesn't work

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
nevermind, I soaked it with oil, went back to the range and put 100rds through it without a single hiccup...

Guess it was just dry
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
nevermind, I soaked it with oil, went back to the range and put 100rds through it without a single hiccup...

Guess it was just dry

did that fix the problem with the m261 as well?
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Are M261 type variations on the Conversion kit theme available from any mfgr. of today   (CMMG) (Ciener/Attichison) (Attichison) (Spikes) ... otherwise which modern era conversion kit most closely replicates the M261 ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#26]
cracked: sure did fix it! I'm very happy, I was a little worried that it was fubar'd..    but I guess not
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are M261 type variations on the Conversion kit theme available from any mfgr. of today   (CMMG) (Ciener/Attichison) (Attichison) (Spikes) ... otherwise which modern era conversion kit most closely replicates the M261 ?

as I'm not familiar with every .22LR kit I went and looked at Black Dog Machine's website. And if magazine compatibility is any indication of which kits are similar, and I would think it is, it looks like the Atchisson, Ciener, CMMG, Model 1 Sales, Spikes Tactical, Tactical Solutions, and Target Master set ups are pretty much the same (since all these kits are listed as using the same mag), and the M261 and Olympic kits are the same.

this is just speculation on my part though as I only have personal experience with a few M261's....never really saw a reason to use the other type. Though some of the things CMMG is coming up with recently are pretty interesting, like the last shot hold open (about the only thing I don't care for on the M261's is the lack of one) and the forward assist.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a spikes kit until recently, but it was completely different looking. two slides on it v.s. the one beefy slide on the M261. Also the spikes has a longer 'neck' on the cartridge adapter. I'm assuming that would reduce the amount of floating the adapter would do in the chamber.

And also the spikes has o-rings where it goes into the chamber, for a tighter fit and less fouling blowing back into the upper.

Honestly though, after shooting both I can't really see a huge difference between the two in accuracy or function.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a kit from CMMG and I love it.  I do know that M261 mags dont work with it, I borrowed one from work and tried it out and the bolt wont close on it.  I think BD makes 27 round mags for the M261 though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

as I'm not familiar with every .22LR kit I went and looked at Black Dog Machine's website. And if magazine compatibility is any indication of which kits are similar, and I would think it is, it looks like the Atchisson, Ciener, CMMG, Model 1 Sales, Spikes Tactical, Tactical Solutions, and Target Master set ups are pretty much the same (since all these kits are listed as using the same mag), and the M261 and Olympic kits are the same.

this is just speculation on my part though as I only have personal experience with a few M261's....never really saw a reason to use the other type. Though some of the things CMMG is coming up with recently are pretty interesting, like the last shot hold open (about the only thing I don't care for on the M261's is the lack of one) and the forward assist.

Are olympic Kits current production or a 1970's & 80's thing ( older Mil contract for conversion kits ) ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Were CMMG conversion units  produced prior to Jan 1 2000 , if not which companies were making conversion units then ? (Colt was as was Ciener)
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top