Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think  marx toys made a M16..and also a M14...it was a loong time ago    Tim
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
who does that engraving? I totally want to do that.

I think Anvil Arms can do it for you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I carried a Mattel made M-16.  When I was ten.

I had one of those Marauders, it was my favorite toy and probably why I own ARs now.

Yeah me too. One of my cousins who had just returned from Vietnam at the time checked mine out and for a kid like me it made my day.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Since it's Christmas

I don't know if this ia Marx, or Johnny Tarheel, or some other, but it was the most accurate looking of the 1960's toy M16's.
It's a Moon Landing rifle used for killing Moon Men

No Mom......I never grew out of it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
who does that engraving? I totally want to do that.

I think Anvil Arms can do it for you.

No.

They can't.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=244&t=182690
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys got it all wrong.

Let me put all the Internet rumors to rest.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-V58PilCNo8/SwQjDv8aFjI/AAAAAAAAMd4/Ct_g40slj8Y/s1600/mattel+china.bmp

Mattel indeed made M16A1's from Oct 1968 through Sept 1971 under a SBSA through and AFARSYSCOM contract for the Air Force, then transitioned through USACTRADICCOM for the US Army in 1972. In that time, Mattel only manufactured 35 rifles, but was selected as part of a BSFOAD contract, allowing them to continue development. The Mattel weapons division sold it's interests to Hasbro in 1975, who produced only 10 rifles over 18 months. Hasbro retooled and shifted concentration towards the newly-formed M1 Abrams program in 1982, but because of the fragile polystyrene breech design, Hasbro was dropped from the vendor list.

The sad part is that some Mattel M-16 believers will be posting your statement as proof in a few days.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Jeez, Hal now I've gotta go check e-bay for the toys of my youth.

I used to check out Colby's Special Forces book and a few others from the series every few weeks at the library. I should have "lost" them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]

They have one of those culverts you crawl through at Mott Lake.  

The big difference being right before you get to the curve at the end there is a Tango target and you have to draw a sidearm and engage the taget before you exit the culvert.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That Moon Landing rifle looks like the second one I had - pretty cool, and it fired caps! IIRC, the charging handle slid back enough to pull the caps up from a roll in the magazine, but as we only used it once that way, I don't remember. It was much cheaper and better to make machinegun noises with your mouth. The color looks right though - my friend had a Thompson w/horizontal front grip, (A1 style) not vertical. I loved that thing better than the M16 truthfully. Of course it didn't weigh 11#s either. I had two of them, but that's the one that really sticks with me. Both of them were that weird blue-grey color. We killed a lot of enemy soldiers in those fields - not to mention CQB in the barn...
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
My last toy gun was an A-team M16 from the 80s, and it was a really good slickside M16 copy.  I pealed the A-team sticker off it, and it was my go to rifle for the remainde of my childhood................always wanted a M14 or a Thompson o carry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My last toy gun was an A-team M16 from the 80s, and it was a really good slickside M16 copy.  I pealed the A-team sticker off it, and it was my go to rifle for the remainde of my childhood................always wanted a M14 or a Thompson o carry.

That's funny, my last toy gun was an A-Team Uzi in the early 80s. While I was stationed down at Ft.Knox in the early 80s, I was dabbling in photography and a buddy and I wanted to take some "hardcore" photos. We needed a "weapon" of some sort as a prop for the photos. We found this A-Team Uzi that looked pretty close to the real thing and we figured it only had to fool the camera. I fabricated a dummy folding stock to give it a little more detail. Here's me in my "hardcore" photo from back in the day.

I still have that toy Uzi packed away. I should dig it out take a picture or two to show off my fake folding stock.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The whole issue isn't helped by the fact that the Military's "'Subject Matter Experts'" love to throw in this little 'fact' when instructing
the future SME's.

At least this seems to be the case with the Navy's Gunner's Mates.

Might even be in the course of instruction for all we know, considering the odds that some dutiful individual probably thought to revise it to include
what he was taught.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]
DAMN, I had that Uzi too, and a mag fed battery operated squirt gun one.  I had a decent stock of toy m16s, one had brown furnitiur, and one was a fixed stock carbine, with round handguards.  I need to find toy m16s for my sons, but I'm afraid the NAZIs will come and punish me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
But mattel DID make M16s, the former seal at the gunshow selling beef jerky told me so. He carried one back when he served with Rambo.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But mattel DID make M16s, the former seal at the gunshow selling beef jerky told me so. He carried one back when he served with Rambo.

Oh, that guy. I haven't seen him at the local Dick's Sporting Goods lately. How's he doing?

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that guy. I haven't seen him at the local Dick's Sporting Goods lately. How's he doing?

I heard they banned him from the store because the steel plate in his head kept setting off the shoplifting alarm.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny, my last toy gun was an A-Team Uzi in the early 80s. While I was stationed down at Ft.Knox in the early 80s, I was dabbling in photography and a buddy and I wanted to take some "hardcore" photos. We needed a "weapon" of some sort as a prop for the photos. We found this A-Team Uzi that looked pretty close to the real thing and we figured it only had to fool the camera. I fabricated a dummy folding stock to give it a little more detail. Here's me in my "hardcore" photo from back in the day.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/ToyUzi.jpg

I still have that toy Uzi packed away. I should dig it out take a picture or two to show off my fake folding stock.

Doc

pa pa pa pa pa pa poser....jk I think I owned a few of those Uzis!  The 80s were a great time to grow up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

pa pa pa pa pa pa poser....jk I think I owned a few of those Uzis!  The 80s were a great time to grow up.

Yep, as I said in my post, this picture was posed. I didn't grow up in the 80s, I was working for Uncle Sam. See how faded that BDU uniform is?
That's sun faded from playing Army all the time with these guys:

Doc
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc

Yep, as I said in my post, this picture was posed. I didn't grow up in the 80s, I was working for Uncle Sam. See how faded that BDU uniform is?
That's sun faded from playing Army all the time with these guys:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/BigGun.jpg

Doc

As always, thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]
my father has a retro toy m-14, i'll see if i can't get it dug out and photographed while i'm at his house over christmas... i'll try to get a shot of his "the rifleman" mares' leg too. i think he probably has some other cool stuff like that laying around also...

K.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]
They also made 1919A4s......

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#23]

I had all those C.B. Colby books as a kid. Man did I wear them out looking at all the cool weapons.

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Toy gun collecting is like RBRD (Retro Black Rifle Disease)
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#25]

What's wrong with this 1967 Rat Patrol set?

http://www.vintagetoyroom.com/review/
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Rat Patrol with M16s.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprized anyone remembers "The Rat Patrol"  (now the theme music is bouncing around in my head lol)
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm surprized anyone remembers "The Rat Patrol"  (now the theme music is bouncing around in my head lol)

You're kidding me right? Great show! The guy that played the German bad guy, (Capt. Hans Dietrich) is still on my wife's favorite soap opera.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:09:12 AM EDT
[#29]

The barrel on that Ma Deuce is WAAAY too thick.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The barrel on that Ma Deuce is WAAAY too thick.

and Sgt. Troy's hat is too small

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Season 1 and 2 of Rat Patrol are available from Netflix.
I just put them in my queue.
Too bad they don't have it "On-Demand."
I'll watch them with my 10 year old son.
He enjoyed Bridge on the River Kwai.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Remember the buzz generated here by "The Invaders" popping up on TV some weeks ago , Imagine if "The Rat Patrol" or "The Time Tunnel" or Lancelot Link (Secret Chimp) popped up again ???
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Remember the buzz generated here by "The Invaders" popping up on TV some weeks ago , Imagine if "The Rat Patrol" or "The Time Tunnel" or Lancelot Link (Secret Chimp) popped up again ???

I was off that day and watched the entire airing of "The Invaders". Pretty good. Top of the line guest stars they used for sure. Was too young to catch it back in the day but was always curious about the show. How many of you guys built(and promptly destroyed) the saucer model as a kid?

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#34]

How about that? I have one of the Zero M toys! I also found a video on YouTube showing how it works. My mom found this one at a yard sale when I was a youngster. I destroyed or otherwise disposed of most of my childhood toys by the time I outgrew them. Between my friends and I not many toys survived. We were pretty rough on them. Most of my model cars were blasted and rocketed with Black Cat fireworks before being burned into a puddle of melted plastic. I don't know how this particular item managed to survive but it is nearly mint!

YouTube video of how the Zero M camera pistol functions.

Zero M Snap Shot
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#35]
The Rat Patrol DVD's are excellent.  Beautiful quality prints.  The Time Tunnel and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea are great as well.  I like anything Irwin Allen.

LOL  Haven't thought about Lancelot Link in ages.

45B, This Ebay seller has some Zero M stuff.  Also many other cool gun toys like a display rack of Burp Guns and a MOC Guerilla Grenade !!!

http://shop.ebay.com/royalflushwins/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I have two of the Cap Grenades (but mine are black and seem to be from another mfg.) and my toy gun collection needs some of the stuff you guys are pulling up & postin (gonna set back my M14 build if you guys keep this sh*t up)
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I would bet these toys are the reason we're all here today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How about that? I have one of the Zero M toys! I also found a video on YouTube showing how it works. My mom found this one at a yard sale when I was a youngster. I destroyed or otherwise disposed of most of my childhood toys by the time I outgrew them. Between my friends and I not many toys survived. We were pretty rough on them. Most of my model cars were blasted and rocketed with Black Cat fireworks before being burned into a puddle of melted plastic. I don't know how this particular item managed to survive but it is nearly mint!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/DSC03419.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/DSC03420.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/DSC03421.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/45Bravo/DSC03422.jpg

YouTube video of how the Zero M camera pistol functions.

Zero M Snap Shot

I had one. I also had the Man from Uncle stuff and the cowboy pop out guns. My favorite was the Johnny Seven OMA rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I had one of these when I was just a wee tot.
Zero M radio

And my older brother had the Zero M camera.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#40]
BUMP

Saved all my stuff for my boys - all three, and a sister, too, who eventually destroyed the following:

Man from Uncle set, still have the pin on badge

1967 era Daisy pop gun - the ones that could break your fingers with the cast aluminum lever

the lesser Winchester 73 that fired caps and also spring loaded cartridges that could propel a bullet out the barrel (and I shot my brother in the eye more than once) My bud across the street in Pattonville (Yeah, Dad was stationed in Germany with us 1960 -63) had the senior version that fed from the magazine repeater style.

Somewhere I still have a working Secret Sam attache case with all accessories, and a Marx Thompson that still works. I hope.

There were a few dozen other cap guns, a Luger with a slip on MP40 front extension, hand grenades, swords, machetes, helmets, a bolt action Springfield (all plastic), a 1911 with slide that worked each trigger pull, and a matching Luger (#2) with moving toggle action. And a Hasbro .32 auto cap gun.

Kept it all in a GI Joe cardboard box of some sort, jammed full, and locked with a key padlock that fired caps from a pop out barrel. Kept that.

And by the way, a fellow cadet at Ft Riley showed me the stamped logo of Mattel on his handguards while we were cleaning rifles. It's inside on the aluminum where solvents won't take it off.

Really.

Link Posted: 3/26/2010 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#41]
There was a few guys that where indeed issued Matell M16's.  Not that they fired anything but toy bullets, but it was safer for everybody involved.  We also used those same guys to paint rocks, there where always rocks needing painting.  To keep those rock painter safe, they got the Matell Marauder.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm here today because my Daddy took us to Ft. Ord once in the late 60's for an appreciation day and I got to shoot everything that they would let me.
My Dad took my brother and I to the range while Mom and our 2 sisters did the "girly" stuff they had set up.
Oh man were my sisters livid after finding out I got to shoot a M2 and a 1919 and got to fondle the "new" M16........

Btw, I was about 6-8 y.o. at the time. It made a lasting impression on me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2010 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Love the "rack" of greaseguns complete with a barrel wick. Factory fresh!
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#44]
wow, I caught the tail end of the toy gun age, but I also had a battery powered squirt gun uzi (2 of them actually, dad picked them both up...because he was in fact a big kid) I also had a cap winchester, a daisy made  bb gun looking toy that didn't have a functional barrel but instead just made a pop/bang noise when you cocked it, and of course a few of those 1903 toy rifles you could find at every mega-mart for a while...just to name a few. My favorite though was a cap gun kentucky long rifle dad made in his woodworking days, used a the lock off of a toy pistol and the rest was home-made for the halloween i dressed as a revolutionary minuteman...good stuff...beautiful cherry wood stock on that one.  Also, as for bringing a japanese bayonet to school for show and tell...I've got that beat. I talked to the administration and my history teacher in 8th grade and was allowed to bring in my bring-back type 99, bayonet and helmet for history class...just had to leave it in the utility closet until class, and put it back until after school. This was in 1996-97!  one year later and there would be no way in hell that would happen. (BTW as a side note, I later cleaned that 99 up and found that it is in the 3 digit serial number range, and no series symbol before it )
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top