10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
This space for rent.
Posted: 12/12/2009 12:27:43 AM
[Last Edit: 12/12/2009 12:29:36 AM by CAR-AR-M16]
Why do folks insist that Mattel made M16 rifles for the military? I have had folks on another forum tell me their dad had a handguard stamped Mattel and another guy swear he carried a Mattel M16A1 for a year in 84-85! I cannot convince them that Mattel never made any miltary rifles.
How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual… as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
87GN
vuurwapenblog.com
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 12:34:15 AM
Because people are stupid.
Not making any friends here.
Dings
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 12:57:44 AM
[Last Edit: 12/12/2009 1:29:24 AM by Dings]
It was new,lighter,smaller, made from plastic and the first ones were not doing very well in combat like a cheap toy.most say the mattel, a toy M-16 they had back then.An old saying was:you can tell it's mattel,which was mattels slogan
people are dumb also.
45FMJoe
Vote Barry Goldwater in 2012!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 1:03:19 AM

Originally Posted By 87GN:

Operation LARUEMINATI - SS17
Kar15
Chances are, I am who pissed in their cheerios...
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 1:36:57 AM
[Last Edit: 12/12/2009 1:49:57 AM by Kar15]
pretty much all of the above, and it probably didn't help that mattel came out with a toy m-16 not long after m-16s being adopted and issued...

Atomic Treehouse
OCCASIONAL RETRO FUN - Emphasis on Fun. [Okay maybe the emphasis is on occasional, but just play along won't you?]

Jan 29, 2008
M-16 Marauder Mattel 60's

A really short history of the real M-16. In 1948, the Army organized an Operations Research Office. An early project of this office was to study 'small arms' effectiveness. Battlefield reports from America's previous wars were studied and the ORO came to a few conclusions. Most small arms combat takes place at close range, less than 300 yards. Quantity usually won out over quality. Careful aim didn't seem to matter much. The number one cause for casualties was the number of bullets used. The Army decided their best solution was to find a new high velocity .22 caliber automatic weapon.

Over the next 10 or 12 years, many weapons were tested but the winner was the AR-15 designed by Eugene Stoner, a former Marine who had been designing guns since his discharge from the service after World War II. Stoners weapon was a departure from most guns tested. He had realigned the barrel with the stock which kept the gun from rising as much when fired automatically and he also used cutting edge materials like aluminum and plastic where he could. The AR-15 was 2 pounds lighter than it's closest competitor and it had a much lighter recoil.

A few thousand guns were sent to Vietnam for testing in battle conditions in 1962 and the initial reports said the new rifle was plenty lethal. While at close range the bullet left an entrance wound and exit wound of approximately the same size, at longer distance the bullet would 'tumble' when it hit a fleshy target. The entrance wound was the same but the bullet left a huge gaping hole on exit.

In 1964 both the Army & Air Force adopted the new weapon now called the M-16 and thousands were sent to Vietnam. Soldiers aren't too thrilled with the new gun with it's plastic stock & aluminum parts. Jokes about the rifle being made by Mattel abound. In fact, the Mattel connection to the real M-16 is an urban myth to this day. Many people swear they saw or have seen M-16's from the Vietnam era with the Mattel logo emblazoned on the plastic stock. [We'll get to the toy in a minute] In an effort to create enough ammunition for the new M-16, the Army used a different gunpowder than the one designed specifically for the rifle. The new powder is not field tested and the results are disastrous. The new powder increases the guns firing rate, creating greater wear and it leaves deposits in the barrel which allow the gun to jam. To make matter worse, the gun had been marketed to the Army as "nearly maintenance free" and was sent out with no instructions on cleaning. The fiasco was investigated by a Congressional committee which praised the weapon and blamed the problems on Army mismanagement. Intensive M-16 training was then introduced,the ammunition was changed, and the gun was redesigned to carry a cleaning kit in the stock. Since then, the M-16 has been the armed forces weapon of choice for over 50 years with an estimated 8 million used worldwide.

Mattel's M-16 Marauder was a full sized replica of the real thing. When you cocked the rifle and pulled the trigger the Marauder let loose the sound of machine gun fire. The more you cocked the gun, the longer the burst. With the rifle under Congressional investigation and the assassinations of Both Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy in 1968, the Marauder probably had a short shelf life. I would guess at most three or four years. I've heard there is a red white & blue version of the box.

Trivia: In John Wayne's pro Vietnam film "The Green Berets", there's a scene where Wayne smashes his M-16 against a tree. It's said he used Mattel's Marauder instead of the real thing.

K.
My conservative commonwealth's 232 year old state seal is a direct COC violation. Our founding fathers approved of images of bared breasts...

WWW.ASHBYARMS.COM
DocMike
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 1:41:17 AM

I think maybe I'll have to check into having my NDS lower engraved just to screw with people.

Doc
Remember, traffic lights set for 35mph are also set for 70mph.

My Mom always told me:
"Boy, if you're not in bed by 11:00, you may as well come home!"
bulletsponge13
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 2:36:03 AM
who does that engraving? I totally want to do that.
Halffast says:
Because either you are the weapon and your rifle is the tool, or your rifle is the weapon and you are the tool
Dawg180
Student of the Assault Rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 2:46:13 AM
Originally Posted By bulletsponge13:
who does that engraving? I totally want to do that.

It is a photoshop job
"I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."
shrikefan
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 5:35:00 AM
Originally Posted By DocMike:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/M16mattelM16.jpg

I think maybe I'll have to check into having my NDS lower engraved just to screw with people.

Doc

Right click, save as...

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
PrototypeServices
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:52:40 AM
That would be so cool on an 80% lower......
JoeSchmo
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:03:25 AM
Yeah I heard the same thing from a few vets who swore up and down that their M16's were made by Mattel. People just forget because we've had plastic for decades now that when this rifle first came out, plastic furniture on a rifle was for the most part unheard of (I know I'm going to get pooh poohed for this because of Bakelite and other plastics on .45's grips and MP40's) but it was for the most part never on mass produced American military rifles to the extent it was on the M16. So where was the government going to go to get all this black plastic furniture mass produced? Well you have to think about who was mass producing huge quantities of injection molded plastic that was of high quality in the United States in the early 1960's? Don't have to look any farther than the toy industry. Also, its because of the fact that when the M16 was first introduced, Mattel was contracted by Colt to make the plastic furniture while Colt was finishing up their own production processes. From what I've read on other sites, the contract was very short and very small amounts were produced, but the legend still endures to this day...
53vortec
OIF II-V & 07-09
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:22:47 AM
This is gonna be good.
Order some golf shoes... otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive

.308- because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.
CAR-AR-M16
This space for rent.
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:40:11 AM
[Last Edit: 12/12/2009 7:55:22 AM by CAR-AR-M16]
Originally Posted By JoeSchmo:
Yeah I heard the same thing from a few vets who swore up and down that their M16's were made by Mattel. People just forget because we've had plastic for decades now that when this rifle first came out, plastic furniture on a rifle was for the most part unheard of (I know I'm going to get pooh poohed for this because of Bakelite and other plastics on .45's grips and MP40's) but it was for the most part never on mass produced American military rifles to the extent it was on the M16. So where was the government going to go to get all this black plastic furniture mass produced? Well you have to think about who was mass producing huge quantities of injection molded plastic that was of high quality in the United States in the early 1960's? Don't have to look any farther than the toy industry. Also, its because of the fact that when the M16 was first introduced, Mattel was contracted by Colt to make the plastic furniture while Colt was finishing up their own production processes. From what I've read on other sites, the contract was very short and very small amounts were produced, but the legend still endures to this day...

See what I mean. Even here the myth is perpetuated.

Next you are going to tell me that Col. Sanders made M16's during the Vietnam war too.
How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual… as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
EL_TIRADOR
Distinguished Rifleman Presidents 100
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:54:40 AM

David
Tucson, AZ

OPERATION SECURE TOMORROW - OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM - OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM - OPERATION ANACONDA - TASK FORCE MES
dogpatch06
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 8:44:06 AM
"I left my wallet in El Segundo".

Bad rap song from the 90s.
VLODPG
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 8:52:00 AM
Originally Posted By 87GN:

End of thread!
postino
AR Accumulator
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 8:55:19 AM
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

I love a good laugh on Saturday morning!!!
For every Air Force regulation,
there is an equal and opposite
Air National Guard waiver...

- SMS Dick Semo (RIP)
KBAD
Rauðúlfr Strongthews
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:35:58 AM
Sig Line worthy gun sounds!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid"
BRAAP
BRRA-A-A-A-AP
BRAP
BRAP
45FMJoe
Vote Barry Goldwater in 2012!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:36:59 AM

It endures because 'tards continue to say Mattel made parts for Colt when there is ZERO proof they did.
Operation LARUEMINATI - SS17
Joefriday22
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:15:23 AM
Originally Posted By Kar15:
pretty much all of the above, and it probably didn't help that mattel came out with a toy m-16 not long after m-16s being adopted and issued...

http://www.tomheroes.com/images/COMICAD%20mattel%20m16%20marauder.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1fLfhOwRiiA/R57os4gup0I/AAAAAAAAAUI/4arB3TkactM/s400/m-16-
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1fLfhOwRiiA/R57otIgup1I/AAAAAAAAAUQ/uyFWTB8WCng/s400/m-16-
http://www.timewarptoys.com/marauder1.jpg

Atomic Treehouse
OCCASIONAL RETRO FUN - Emphasis on Fun. [Okay maybe the emphasis is on occasional, but just play along won't you?]

Jan 29, 2008
M-16 Marauder Mattel 60's

Trivia: In John Wayne's pro Vietnam film "The Green Berets", there's a scene where Wayne smashes his M-16 against a tree. It's said he used Mattel's Marauder instead of the real thing.

K.

Yep, you can see it very clearly

m1sniper
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:17:19 AM
This is definatly one of the funnier posts!! I'm enjoying it..DOC,that is tootally cool and may have to do it on one of my 80%ers..Yea,we all know mattel did'nt make them or parts..I have spoken to some Nam vets at our living history displays and they too know mattel never had anything to do with M16,,but to this day some of those vets DO refer to it as "that mattel toy rifle",,most of those same guys trained with the M14 and at some point where issued the M16,,so I can see why they look at it as a toy!
44Echo10
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:34:47 AM
I had a sergent who swore he had a Mattel M16 in basic training at Fort Dix. Couldn't convince him otherwise. The myth needs to die.
DocMike
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:49:06 AM
I can't believe this legend still survives, especially when everybody knows that Hasbro was the one to make M16s'

Doc
Remember, traffic lights set for 35mph are also set for 70mph.

My Mom always told me:
"Boy, if you're not in bed by 11:00, you may as well come home!"
m1sniper
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:54:00 AM
[Last Edit: 12/12/2009 10:54:47 AM by m1sniper]
F'in Doc,,you're killin me here,,Just what I need as I'm about to go down to the garage to drill out the fire control pocket on an 80%er.
ETA what's that supposed to read in the red???
Bumblebee_Bob
Screw Dafur, Save America!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 10:56:48 AM
Originally Posted By DocMike:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/M16mattelM16.jpg

Doc

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should
relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Drugs kicked in now, need sleep, radiation tastes funny at 7 am every day... a bit like victory. - Ginger
Magoo6541
We'll never forget - 343 - Charleston Nine
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/12/2009 11:01:39 AM
There are some stupid people out there. A guy that was in the Fire Adacemy with me, and who just seperated from the Army, swore up and down that his M16 was manufactured by the Ronald McDonald Corp. Yes, freakin McDonald's. Could not convince him otherwise.

I think they used old fryer oil for lube for the Mc16.
IYAOYAS
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED