Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars
Gold
  • Joined Feb 2001
  • Posts 33012
  • EE 100% (4)
USA WV, USA
Military
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 1:37:49 PM EST
I suppose it is possible to convey more ignorance with less words, but I doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime.--Bohr Adam

If LAV promotes using the slide lock/release to chamber a round after a mag change, then he should be ignored.-MP0117
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2007
  • Posts 3442
  • EE 100% (36)
USA NC, USA
NRA
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:57:57 PM EST
The linked video is pretty interesting from a retro stand point but I've set the link below to start with the introduction of the rifle into the combat theater on a larger scale in Vietnam as it relates to this thread topic.

https://youtu.be/u0dlkgkbPgE?t=29m54s

Wes

Ultimus Romanorum
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2001
  • Posts 83095
  • EE 100% (21)
USA USA
NRAMilitary
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:49:57 PM EST
One of the problems with the 30/06 case that the 308 was meant to rectify was the thin rim.
The end of the world isn't in my plan, but circling the wagons is. -Andres Duany.
Bronze
  • Joined Jan 2002
  • Posts 2872
  • EE 100% (32)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:54:37 PM EST
My father is a devout M1 fan (with experience from the Korean War, to include use of the bayonet in the counter-attack) who transitioned to the M14 and then the M16. He shot in combat in Korea (a four-year veteran to include Task Force Smith), Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, as well as against paper targets across the east coast and Camp Perry.

When I specifically asked him of his M16 experience with indigenous soldiers as well as GIs he stated they were generally very good rifles. He equipped troops with early commercial .22 cleaning kits, and later made sure everyone had plenty of GI cleaning equipment. If you look at a lot of 101st Airborne Division photos of grunts you'll see a significant number with a bottle of LSA stuck in helmet elastic bands.

I can balance the early tragi-comedy of M16 failures with my own experience and observations in southeast and northeast Asia starting in the late 70s. I saw many M16A1 rifles with allies, as well as other imported and indigenous-produced small arms throughout Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Korea, mainland Japan, and other places (to include maritime areas of North Africa, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East).

Rifles used or stored in the tropics (monsoonal) or maritime coastal nations on the Equator will rust in a heartbeat if not properly cleaned, lubed, and maintained. Period. Steel guns will rust.

WCC-844 and military CFE ball powders are produced in one of two US plants. Anything specialized or exotic (to include a stick powder) are made in Canada or imported. Lake City Army Ammunition Plant still uses ball powder because it meters so well in automatic loading systems.

M16A1s still soldier on in many nations, operating in some very challenging conditions.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left