Site Notices
Page / 27
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:20:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: redfiredog8] [#1]
double tap.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:23:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: redfiredog8] [#2]
Looks great. A little patina on an old shotgun doesn't hurt a thing. I'm thinking another term is "its all slicked up".
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I'm just finishing up a model 12 trench gun project with the last step being to install the rear sling swivel. Would you be able to tell me the measurement from the buttplate to the rear screw of the swivel? TIA
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:

I'm just finishing up a model 12 trench gun project with the last step being to install the rear sling swivel. Would you be able to tell me the measurement from the buttplate to the rear screw of the swivel? TIA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Joescuba

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI for Trench Replica Builders - Sarco sent off an email indicating their Replica Winchester Trench Handguards are back in stock and also Replica 1917 Bayonet for $69.

Just passing it along - Trying to resist modifying a 1942 riot Model 12 to Trench myself- Trench guns look fantastic but the weight of the heat shield really throws off the nice balance the gun has without it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
In case anyone is looking for an interesting retro shotgun variant, one of the dealers in GunBroker seems to have had a bunch of the Stevens 69Rs for sale. These are the civilian variant of the Vietnam issue Model 77.

What makes the ones they have interesting is they look identical to the 77 and have the military issue stock with state of Arizona markings. So these appear to be a National Guard purchase, and thus actual military issue guns like the Ohio NG shotguns released a couple years ago. Here's the link for the latest one in case anyone's interested:

Stevens 69R Link

Full disclosure- I bought one of the previous listings but they appear to keep listing them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread was just getting started when I was building my first Retro, it's hilarious re-reading the first few pages and seeing the prices guys passed up on guns for saying the price was too high.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I never did end up posting pics of the finished project in this thread (probably seen it in the shotgun pic thread already)

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That's Beautiful
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just an FYI for those wanting to make Replica Trench guns, just got an email Numrich has these back in stock!

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/813820?utm_source=notifyme&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=813820

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice 870. I spent several weeks talking with JT at Retro Arms Works about making the Remington bayo lug, and almost had the project in the works. Unfortunately, JT was slammed at the time, but told me if I could get someone to properly bend the tube, at a taper, he could probably do the rest. I searched all over Atlanta trying to find a shop or machinist to tackle the challenge to no avail. Would have been awesome to pull it off, my 870 would definitely have gotten one!
In a odd twist I picked up an Ithaca at a cop auction, actual police model, but it was missing the barrel. Months of searching I finally found a plain 28" barrel and a repro bayonet lug / heat shield. I called Ithaca, since they were producing the trench guns again and asked could they restore mine? Sure! It's not perfect, but it looks just like the originals I've seen with the exception of the stock, it's new and just isn't right, but it'll have to do. Love those old trench guns!
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:55:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#14]
Originally Posted By roninsan:
Nice 870. I spent several weeks talking with JT at Retro Arms Works about making the Remington bayo lug, and almost had the project in the works. Unfortunately, JT was slammed at the time, but told me if I could get someone to properly bend the tube, at a taper, he could probably do the rest. I searched all over Atlanta trying to find a shop or machinist to tackle the challenge to no avail. Would have been awesome to pull it off, my 870 would definitely have gotten one!
In a odd twist I picked up an Ithaca at a cop auction, actual police model, but it was missing the barrel. Months of searching I finally found a plain 28" barrel and a repro bayonet lug / heat shield. I called Ithaca, since they were producing the trench guns again and asked could they restore mine? Sure! It's not perfect, but it looks just like the originals I've seen with the exception of the stock, it's new and just isn't right, but it'll have to do. Love those old trench guns!
View Quote

Have you tried getting ahold of the Shotgun Gunsmith over on the shotgun forum? From what people say, he's the JT of Shotgun Work, Rose Action Sports his handle is Guncat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't familiar with him, but I'll give him a shout!
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Atlanta? - West Georgia Tactical can likely make anything, problem is is the juice worth the squeeze with costs to set up fabrication for a small run.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, IDK, you seen prices on those things? 400 bucks was the last one I saw. I'm thinking as popular as retro stuff is, if they could make them without a ton of tooling up costs it would be a popular item. I'd buy one if it was reasonable. I mean it's mostly sheet metal so material costs are minimal. The tooling would be the main expense.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Is that West Georgia Tactical Shooters Club?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
wow that 870 is too cool. I'd definitely be in on a repro 870 bayo mount
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#20]
See? Everyone that sees one of those wants one. And how many 870s are out there? Like a 100 billion? I mean I'd track down another old cop gun just so I could have two if I could get the bayo mount.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

Have you tried getting ahold of the Shotgun Gunsmith over on the shotgun forum? From what people say, he's the JT of Shotgun Work, Rose Action Sports his handle is Guncat.
View Quote

Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports is Great!

I've sent a bunch (IIRC 11) different shotgun barrels to him for cut, crown, bases and beads. Everyone has come back absolutely perfectly and never more than 10-days turn-around. Working up the courage to cut an ole '97 Winchester now - it will go to him for sure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that West Georgia Tactical Shooters Club?
View Quote

@WGtactical - A member here and does some manufacturing fabrication.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

Atlanta? - West Georgia Tactical can likely make anything, problem is is the juice worth the squeeze with costs to set up fabrication for a small run.
View Quote

This. I have had to make a lot of parts necessary for a Vietnam era armored vehicle restoration as there are simply some parts (e.g. M73 MG replicas, ammo cans, misc brackets, etc) that I can't buy surplus. Probably an option is buying one of the Winchester trench gun shrouds from Numrich (mentioned earlier) and modifying it? Good luck on your project.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#24]
My Inland/Ithaca 37 trench. Bought this back in 2016 and it's been a safe queen ever since. Don't know if Inland is still making these, but they should:

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet! Mine looks almost identical; except it's built from a rescued cop gun that was bound for the torch. Took forever to find a useable barrel, the repro shroud, but luckily Ithaca agreed to do the work. Super cool shotguns, trench or otherwise. IDK they're still doing the trench guns or not, but I do remember they got really shiny nickels for them....
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone else still waiting on a reproduction heatshield for their Winchester 97 from this company

Ordered last year and still no contact with them, they don't answer calls or emails.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cda97:
Anyone else still waiting on a reproduction heatshield for their Winchester 97 from this company

Ordered last year and still no contact with them, they don't answer calls or emails.
View Quote

I could be mistaken but I think the original owner died and his son was trying to get it going again or something like that.  Did you send payment?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish I could get a replica of the 870 Mark 1 Bayo Lug Adapter. That is the only missing gun in my Remington Mil/LE shotgun collection.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#29]

I could be mistaken but I think the original owner died and his son was trying to get it going again or something like that.  Did you send payment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cda97:

Yep, last year in May.  After they filled the orders they quit taking payments for a long time but just noticed they started up again to take orders for another round.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought this 620 about a year and a half ago, it was functional but it was sloppy in appearance to say the least. The original finish was already gone and was rattle canned with brownells ALUMA HYDE. so it was sand blasted and professionally reparked, I bought an original set of furniture from a local gun show along with the right butt plate. The look I was going for on this project was a stevens 620 that was rebuilt at an arsenal before going to Korea or Vietnam. Hope it turned out good, I am happy with it. Here are the before and after pictures.

BEFORE

AFTER

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Retroenthusiast67:
Bought this 620 about a year and a half ago, it was functional but it was sloppy in appearance to say the least. The original finish was already gone and was rattle canned with brownells ALUMA HYDE. so it was sand blasted and professionally reparked, I bought an original set of furniture from a local gun show along with the right butt plate. The look I was going for on this project was a stevens 620 that was rebuilt at an arsenal before going to Korea or Vietnam. Hope it turned out good, I am happy with it. Here are the before and after pictures.

BEFORE
https://i.postimg.cc/ZqQypjtb/007-zpsh4ng3nvn.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/hj7Qrxc9/008-zpstbodrfr0.jpg

AFTER
https://i.postimg.cc/KY3YS2wb/20230516-182905.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Ss0xmPbM/20230516-182910.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/T3ww0mcp/20230516-182924.jpg

View Quote

Looks great, I was around when this thread first was taking off and you could get donor shotguns for about $80-$100 on average. Places like Numrich, Sarco, etc still had replacement parts for sale and you could put together a nice shotgun for cheap. All that being said, I've always wondered how much of an impact forum threads like this have on the market.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Retroenthusiast67] [#32]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

Looks great, I was around when this thread first was taking off and you could get donor shotguns for about $80-$100 on average. Places like Numrich, Sarco, etc still had replacement parts for sale and you could put together a nice shotgun for cheap. All that being said, I've always wondered how much of an impact forum threads like this have on the market.
View Quote

Thank you I appreciate it and I think I only paid 250 for the gun itself and 150 for both stocks and 100 for the park job so all and all $500 give or take so the price of a new mossberg retro 500, not to bad I'd say especially since mine slam fires lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Always good to be in good with your LGS.  Got a random text yesterday "still looking for an 8-shot M37?"

Yes, yes I am.  NIB, unfired M&P model from 1981.  $365 MSRP on it back then (paid a lot more but it's perfection as consumer guns go).

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
Always good to be in good with your LGS.  Got a random text yesterday "still looking for an 8-shot M37?"

Yes, yes I am.  NIB, unfired M&P model from 1981.  $365 MSRP on it back then (paid a lot more but it's perfection as consumer guns go).

https://i.imgur.com/bXf95TCh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cHSlRtBh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qaa98ckl.jpg
View Quote

Oh man, that's a sweet one!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice 37, love the corncob
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:

https://i.imgur.com/bXf95TCh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cHSlRtBh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qaa98ckl.jpg
View Quote

Wow, that's beautiful

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Seen this today at the oaks gun show in PA, the story the gentleman told me was that this is a stevens 77E That was from a contract with the UNITED STATES NAVY during Vietnam. The only markings on the entire gun are
"U.S.N". No. 11
I have ever seen anything like this, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on it, because it is a very interesting shotgun, the forend and buttstock were also bakelite plastic. The price tag was $10,000. Just incase anyone was curious
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 27
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top