User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/18/2007 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Dog1:

Originally Posted By cwm1150:
When ordering things from Sherluk did you receive a confirmation or information about when your items would ship? I placed a n order a few days ago and have gotten nothing, no response to my email either

Call them..they are very slow in responding to emails.

Really, give them a call. I've bought from them several times and they are great.
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The stuff made it Friday but I miised the drop off. He sent $13 worth of parts with signature required. I have to stay home Monday to get it
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 11:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MauserMark] [#3]
Okay, trying to find a slab side carrier, preferably chromed.  The link on the first page for carriers was broken.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 6:59:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TANKTREK] [#4]
I have some parts as well for any rebuilds

For Sale a piece of history (3) Colt AR-15 Sporter Uppers

Back in the day when "Gun Control" was just silly!!

These are Colt AR-15 Sporter Uppers pre-M16A1 days, Slick Side Upper Receiver!
Sorry but no bolts or charging handles
Genuine Colt AR15 chrome LW barrel in 1x12 twist—perfect for surplus 52 to 55 grain and 40 to 50 grain "Blitz" ammo
Bird Cage M16-type flash suppressor
Colt contract quality AR15-type "Slick Side" forged upper receiver—no forward assist, no case deflector
Forged Steel AR-15 front sight base
M16 Front and Rear Sights
M16-type triangular handguards
Asking $260.00 each or B/O includes S&H costs

I also have a Carbine upper that is in the same configuation as above except that it has the old round handguards and a birdcage flashsuppressor. It is in sorry shape, needs real good clean-up, like refinishing it were to put it on display or make a retro gun.
Asking $200.00 or B/O SOLD for $350.00 May 29, 2007

AR15 (M16A1 Type) 16" Barrel Bird Cage Flashsuppressor, Barrel has CMP CHROME BORE Stamped just in front of the front sight post. Receiver has (C Space H) cast into the receiver just below the rear sight on the right side. Has forward assist. Injection port cover is rust stained. Same condition as the previous AR-15 upper.
I was not going to sell this because I was going to put together my own retro Carbine, but changed my mind. I will try and post a pictures as soon as get another camera, but that may take a week or more.

[b]Asking 300.00 or B/O

Asking $260.00 or B/O includes $10.00 S&H costs

Warning these are considered pre-ban uppers, great for collector or serious plinker.

Sorry pictures not available currently, but there are enought pictures on AR15.COM to get the idea. Will try and have pictures available over the weekend.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]

I built these, the SP1 this summer and the XM/CAR15 this fall.
home.insightbb.com/~daniel.boone/wsb/media/1579304/site1030.jpg
My Stickman attempt at photography

I got the bug to build a retro rifle because of the posts here. I was lucky to already have a Colt slabside lower and BCG. I found a Colt SP1 upper on the EE for a mere $200, new never used.

That started a spiral that made me build a XM177/CAR-15 type carbine. I soon realized that I knew next to nothing about the old ones. I posted and read and researched. While there is no current source for real A1 lowers, we have to make due with what we have.

So after the SP1, I started the search for XM177/CAR-15 parts...These led me to-

Sherluk Some of the best A1 parts I have found. They are excellent in service, with me getting my parts in 2 days or less. I got the barrel assembly and small parts from them.

I got the buttstock and the A1 upper off of the EE for $125 combined. The lower is a RRA lower I bought from a friend.

I also have gotten A1 parts from Brownell's I get the discount, so that helps lower the cost of the builds.

For the sladside Colt I'm getting a sladside carrier from- Total Silence Tom has some awesome parts for the retros..

DPMS has A1 parts and 16" lightweight barrels-
DPMS

The XM177 will get a total refinish in Norrell's Colt Gray-Black-Norrell's

Superlight barrels and XM lookalike non-NFA modulators
Bushmaster

Info supplied by members here-

Ekie's M16 series guide

uxb's Armson OEG thread

Xm177 build thread

But, no retro build is complete with out the little things that make it feel like a retro rifle.

I have gotten the Viet Nam surplus, helmet-with the proper Mitchell cover-, pouches, suspenders, new-unissued A1 pistol grips and slings, from-

Moore Militaria

Omaha's Army navy Surplus

Sir Plus Supply

The above vendors, I have all bought from and recieved excellent service. These are the links I know, if anyone else has info, please post it.

The below vendors I have not delt with, but are similar to the above vendors-

Old Sarge's Drop Zone

That's fantastic!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
Okay, trying to find a slab side carrier, preferably chromed.  The link on the first page for carriers was broken.

thanks.

-mark

It appears that Total Silence is no longer in business. It was rumored that Smith Enterprises was the ones making the slabside carriers for TS, but I cannot find anyone that now has them.

The best bet is to keep an eye out for them on the EE. Every now and then one comes up for sale.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Where can one find the triangular handguards?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

thanks.

-mark

M1S has them without the key
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By WHITE_WOLFE:

There was a guy in the EE that was selling them, oh maybe 3-5 months ago. I cannot remember who it was though.

As I recall, he had alot of them, NIW.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By WHITE_WOLFE:

There is a guy selling brand new sets for $10 +$5 s/h on ebay.

handguards
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 4:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M2Gunner] [#11]
What parts Do I look for to build a rifle?
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By M2Gunner:
What parts Do I look for to build a rifle?

What kind of rifle are you wanting to build?

A 20 inch A1 or a carbine?

Link Posted: 7/24/2007 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Either a 20" or A1 I like them both
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Either a 20" or A1 I like them both

I should have been clearer in my post.

What I ment to say was-

20 inch or carbine, forward assist or not?
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
20"A1 forward assist I guss I may know what your talking about, post a pic if you can so I can see what your talking about. I'm new to the AR-15 rifles but know very little about them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 8:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#16]

20"A1 forward assist I guss I may know what your talking about, post a pic if you can so I can see what your talking about. I'm new to the AR-15 rifles but know very little about them.

The top one in my pic-

Is a 20" with out a forward assist. It commonly refered too as a "Slick Side" upper.

Check the gun shows. Around here there has been quite a few old uppers fro sale, many that are like new. I got that upper off of the EE, here on the board.

The buttstock came from the EE too. The lower is a old Colt SP1 lower, the upper is Colt as well as the buttstock.

Shop the EE, look at gun shows. As for getting them from a vendor, it's hit and miss.
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]

The M16A1/603 is the most common 20" built these days. As mentioned, barreled uppers can be found at gunshows, gunbroker.com or here in the EE. They can range from $175-300 depending on condition. Thanks to NoDak Spud, correct A1 lowers are available. A1 buttstocks and pistol grips are not hard to find.

M16A1/603

The M16/604 is almost identical, but it lacks the forward assist. Barreled uppers are a little harder to find. Its easier to find just the upper receiver and barrel it yourself. Again, NoDaks A1 receiver will work or you can wait a few more weeks for their partial fence lower. Either would be correct.

M16/604
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 1:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#19]
wishforfullauto, please contact me about unlocking your account after August, 9th..... 2099.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GA-Dawg] [#20]

Originally Posted By wishforfullauto:

Holy Lock Batman!!!
C-ya!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know a source for new (old stock) a1 uppers with forward assist and no shell deflector?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Anyone know a source for new (old stock) a1 uppers with forward assist and no shell deflector?

I have seen plenty at gunshows and at one time CDNN had them, other than that, sorry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#23]

I have seen plenty at gunshows and at one time CDNN had them, other than that, sorry.

Anyone ever deal with sarco?  They have them for $159.95 in "exc" condition.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Anyone ever deal with sarco?  They have them for $159.95 in "exc" condition.

I know that some here has delt with SARCO and had exellent results, I have never ordered anything from them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Why is the link to the XM177 build thread in the first post dissabled? Please Check the links in the first post in this thread.

-Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Xterra:
Why is the link to the XM177 build thread in the first post dissabled? Please Check the links in the first post in this thread.

-Thanks

It was most likely lost to the archive server...
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice builds and photos Dog1

I know it isn't much, but it may help someone in the Retro crowd touch up that oldie upper
(and this is a Retro parts bulletin board thread)

M16/AR15 Teardrop Forward Assist Plunger - New

Link Posted: 1/28/2008 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Need to ask a dumb question:

I kind like/hate some things about the A1-A2's so I'm gonna combine the two into a woods/hunting rifle I like.

Now I'm fishing about for an original A1 upper and don't know if it'll work with a A2 lower (going to,soon,have a Stag lower) do the pins just go together or will I need an adapter?

And before I get screamed at-

A2 stock
A2 lower
Bushy A2 grip with trap
Bushy Izzy flash hider
Original A1 upper
Plenty of 30rd mags
Old cotton canvas sling

Not shooting for a flyweight AR but should come in at about seven-seven and a half pounds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I would love a redone xm177 thread if anyone is willing, I'm very interested in building one.  Does anyone sell a pre-assembled barrel with appropriate non-NFA flashhider installed?  Or is it up to me to assemble it all?
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
These guys have got boucoup M16 and M16A1 (complete) Stocks, Handguards and Grips.  U.S. Collectors Ordnance
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm new to this stuff. Never built an AR before but I'm looking to build an M16A1 copy with thin bbl, forward assist, correct but non-3 prong suppressor. I do not want a brass deflector on it. I'm basically building a copy of the A1 I used in basic training. I'm not sure if the forward assist was the teardrop version but I like the way it looks. Well, that's what I'm looking for in a nutshell. Am I correct in that I can pretty much use any of the popular lowers such as RRA, LMT, STAG, Fulton etc? I just need to find the upper with teardrop assist and no brass deflector and the thin 20" 1/12 twist bbl with birdcage suppressor. Any help with the upper/bbl? I saw that Sarco had bbls but read a lot of bad things about them.  

Any help would be highly appreciated. I'm dead set on building a retro but I want that forward assist just like my basic training A1 had. Not crazy about taking a dremel to one of those C7 uppers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By silvabullet:
I'm new to this stuff. Never built an AR before but I'm looking to build an M16A1 copy with thin bbl, forward assist, correct but non-3 prong suppressor. I do not want a brass deflector on it. I'm basically building a copy of the A1 I used in basic training. I'm not sure if the forward assist was the teardrop version but I like the way it looks. Well, that's what I'm looking for in a nutshell. Am I correct in that I can pretty much use any of the popular lowers such as RRA, LMT, STAG, Fulton etc? I just need to find the upper with teardrop assist and no brass deflector and the thin 20" 1/12 twist bbl with birdcage suppressor. Any help with the upper/bbl? I saw that Sarco had bbls but read a lot of bad things about them.  

Any help would be highly appreciated. I'm dead set on building a retro but I want that forward assist just like my basic training A1 had. Not crazy about taking a dremel to one of those C7 uppers.

Sent you an e-mail. Let us know how we can help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone know where you can buy A1 uppers w/o the forward assist?
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Fulton Armory sells slick-sided A1 upper receivers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#35]
If anyone is looking for a nice A1 complete upper, check out Ohio Ordnance Works.  They had "good" and "very good" condition uppers available.  I ordered a "very good" upper for 275.00 and it was definitely worth the money.  Other than a small handling mark on the right hand guard, it looks brand new.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 3:56:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackDog714] [#36]

It appears that Total Silence is no longer in business.

Any update on this?  I was looking for a realistic non-NFA moderator and GL ring...
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#37]
45Bravo can do that and do it right.  Just do a search on the used AR-15 page of the Equipment Exchange, should pop right up for you, may have to go back a week or several.

Or, search the retro formum instead.

He did mine and I was very well pleased.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Andouille:
45Bravo can do that and do it right.  Just do a search on the used AR-15 page of the Equipment Exchange, should pop right up for you, may have to go back a week or several.

Or, search the retro formum instead.

He did mine and I was very well pleased.

I am WAY far away from that, but when the time comes, I'll look him up.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Is there any source for the XM607 telescopic butt stocks?

I've got an "Entry" butt stock, looks similar, but isn't telescopic.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 7:31:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: madmanblake] [#40]
Anybody have a source for non-chromed slickside bolt carriers?  Or have a spare they don't need?

Nevermind, found these:

YM Bolt Carriers
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 2:22:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#41]
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I looked, and I didn't see this info yet (if it is here, please ignore).  NODAK Spud LLC is selling reproduction A1 uppers with and without the forward assist in Colt gray, and they are selling reproduction triangle charging handles in gray as well.

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#43]
where can I find an Israeli scope, the kind they mounted on the carrying handle?
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 2:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hal143] [#44]
where can I find an Israeli scope, the kind they mounted on the carrying handle?

Only ones left I know of are here:

http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1045

APEX is out of the $100 ones.  They were the same as maparts, but were original finish.

Hal
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#45]
What type of front sight base is compatible with an A1 rear sight?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Subconscious:
What type of front sight base is compatible with an A1 rear sight?

Good question.  I'm building a "KISS" carbine with an A1 upper and a new 14.5" middy barrel.  Will I have any compatability issues with the sights?
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Where can I find a new A1 barrel?
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone make new A1 pistol grips?
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 10:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexSquirrel] [#49]
Doublestar (Available at Midway or Brownells) makes 16" "A1" barrels
Bushmaster makes a 16" "A1" barrels.
No one currently makes 20" "A1" barrels.

No one makes new A1 pistol grips, but there is a new one for sale on Gunbroker. (or was earlier today)

ETA: HERE
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Is anyone producing NEW triangular handguards?
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top