User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By exocet:

Originally Posted By Ekie:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By exocet:
great stuff Ekie. Is there a way you can post the links to your different AR15 pictures threads ? thanks.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

The M16A1, and A2 clone threads are now in the archive, but these clone threads are still available:

AR-15 clone:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=238213

M4gery:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=231110

M4A1 clone:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465

M16A4gery

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=234528

any way you can get us the M4 threads back from the death ?
I just got a used Colt M4 upper and want to check your data.

Thanks !!

Thanks

Here are my M4gery/M4 threads (only goes back to 2003):

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=270875

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=260644

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=231110

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=217484

The Carbine variation guide is now up, and should contain all that info, plus more, and more accurately then those old threads:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=283545
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dawg180] [#2]

Originally Posted By WpnsMan:
YardDogOne,

E marked components do represent EMCO manufacture. I listed most of these two or three years ago when the whole E barrel fiasco came to light. As for P marked A1 components being Capco products instead of Elisco, it is also a possibility.

As I stated, I have not been able to verify their use through Army channels and there has been some evidence in the past to support the theory of the Elisco parts connection. However, it is known that the Airforce mainly used Capco components during their A2 conversion program. Don't know the extent/history of the Airforce/Capco relationship but the Airforce generally didn't use A1(FA) equipped uppers. So, there exist the possibility that the P may have been used by both entities though at different times. Unless we can find a lead confirming that Capco may have produced A1 components on a contract it all remains speculation, like the Elisco connection based on available data and educated guess at best.

I have spent a fair share of time researching various manufacture marks trying to identify the manufacturer and the timeline of their use. Alot of it with the help of some folks at Rock Island. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't. Some of the documentation either no longer exist or has been lost in the shuffle when it was no longer relevant. Probably all in a huge warehouse somewhere like the one at the end of Raider's of the Lost Ark. But that's what makes this stuff fun if not frustrating at times.  

buzgun,

Did you refinish that upper, most I remember seeing were usually a very nicely done black. The origin of this upper is very intriguing(o.k. at least to me) since both components are P marked and probably started life assembled to each other. A parts dealer could have gotten it from any number of importers/surplus outfits who in turn get like items from the world over and sell them without regards to their origins.
Nice find nontheless,

Wpns Man

Ekie, Sorry for the diversion from a great thread.

In regards to the "P M" marked upper, I have a "P M" marked A1 upper with forward assist that I purchased as a complete upper on the EE a few years ago.  It has a black finish that appears to be original (black on the inside too).  

I cannot confirm if it was a parts buildup (that would be my guess) or came from whatever arsenal this way, but it had a "straight" handguard slipring, "C MP CHROME BORE" marked barrel, A1 falsh hider with a locking washer (not a peel or crush), an A2 small button forward assist, and the newest style of port door. A1 front site post and rear peep. The barrel nut teeth were not chewed up or marred, so *maybe* the barrel was original or just had been carefully installed...

Just thought I would mention this for 'historical' purposes.  I figure taht eventually if we get enough info on these uppers maybe we can make a better guess at their origins and/or original configurations.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Dawg180,

Though the upper and barrel are of the same era, the late FA and to a lesser degree the port cover would lead me to believe it was built at a much later date, i.e. a mix master.

Not to imply that it isn't a high quality upper that will give good service, just nothing to garner historical data from.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By WpnsMan:
Dawg180,

Though the upper and barrel are of the same era, the late FA and to a lesser degree the port cover would lead me to believe it was built at a much later date, i.e. a mix master.

Not to imply that it isn't a high quality upper that will give good service, just nothing to garner historical data from.

Wpns Man

That was my take too.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Ekie,
I have a qestion about a grip i found.  It looks like a cross between a A1 and A2. It has a finish of the A1.
Here is a picture of it

Is this a early A2 or is it a after market grip?

Thanks for your time
Tom
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: geezzer] [#6]
Have a mix master C/H M16A1 barreled upper.... was unable to confirm the barrel markings.... guessing  the "T" stands for Taiwan? .... near the chamber that's "2 1 D"

Tremendous help, Thanks WpnsMan! ...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WpnsMan] [#7]
geezzer,

I was doing some research on these the other day at work. 4T663 is a CAGE (Commercial And Government Entitiy) code used to identify manufacturers. This particular one belonged to a company called Engineering Research Inc. out of  Naples Florida.

Their CAGE was established in 1982 so they in all likelihood produced spare parts for Depot rebuilds as I've not encountered one as a spare part issued at the Direct Support maintenance level. Being marked CHROME BORE also puts it in that time frame. I called the phone number that was listed and got a company that is occupying their old building. The guy I talked to was familiar with the company listed and said they went out of business in late '88 or early '89 as his company had been there since '89.

Hope this helps,

Wpns Man  
Link Posted: 11/9/2006 10:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captrichardson] [#8]
Here are some Colt Model 603 / E1 & A1 (has Forward Assist) Upper / Rear Sight Variations for you:

This Upper has Colt Proof Marks but no Forge Codes. The Upper has almost a cast appearence, the angles and lines are sharper / more squared off. The "R" and Arrow on the Rear Sight are very Fine and Sharp. The Rear Sight Screw has the divot in the center.

This Upper has Colt Proof Marks and "P" & "M" Forge Codes. The "R" and Arrow on the Rear Sight are Fine, but different than the ones pictured above. The Rear Sight Screw has a recessed circle in the center. The Rear Sight Wheel has a recessed rebate that runs around the outside. The Rear Sight Wheel has a "Rounded" # 3.

This Upper has Colt Proof Marks but no Forge Codes. The "R" and Arrow on the Rear Sight are Heavy/Fat. The Rear Sight Wheel has an "Angled" # 3.

The closer you look at these things the more variations you find!

"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know if a magnet sticks to an early Armalite gastube (the bend closer to the upper)? Just got one and tried a magnet on it as I've heard SOMETHING about that before (not sure what) and it didnt stick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 6:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YardDogOne] [#10]

Originally Posted By Shark15:
Ekie,
I have a qestion about a grip i found.  It looks like a cross between a A1 and A2. It has a finish of the A1.
Here is a picture of it

Thanks for your time
Tom

I recently purchased a Sendra PWA rifle with a grip exactly like the one pictured, also had a front sight base with roll pins instead of the usual solid taper pins.

My guess was inferior aftermarket part as the rest of the rifle used some very odd parts of lesser quality. i.e. plastic delta ring.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Shark15:
Ekie,
Here is a picture of it
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/Shark15/Picture009-1.jpg

Thanks for your time
Tom

Never seen anything like that.  The early PIP M16A1's that were tested in the early 1980's used standard A1 grips.

Originally Posted By captrichardson:
Here are some Colt Model 603 / E1 & A1 (has Forward Assist) Upper / Rear Sight Variations for you:

i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/captrichardson/1-Rear.jpg
This Upper has Colt Proof Marks but no Forge Codes. The Upper has almost a cast appearence, the angles and lines are sharper / more squared off. The "R" and Arrow on the Rear Sight are very Fine and Sharp. The Rear Sight Screw has the divot in the center.

i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/captrichardson/2-Rear.jpg
This Upper has Colt Proof Marks and "P" & "M" Forge Codes. The "R" and Arrow on the Rear Sight are Fine, but different than the ones pictured above. The Rear Sight Screw has a recessed circle in the center. The Rear Sight Wheel has a recessed rebate that runs around the outside. The Rear Sight Wheel has a "Rounded" # 3.

i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/captrichardson/3-Rear.jpg
This Upper has Colt Proof Marks but no Forge Codes. The "R" and Arrow on the Rear Sight are Heavy/Fat. The Rear Sight Wheel has an "Angled" # 3.

The closer you look at these things the more variations you find!

"Capt Richardson"

Great job taking on that topic.  Have not got started on it myself.

Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Does anyone know if a magnet sticks to an early Armalite gastube (the bend closer to the upper)? Just got one and tried a magnet on it as I've heard SOMETHING about that before (not sure what) and it didnt stick.

Gas tubes used on the 601 and 602 were carbon steel and do attract magnets.  These tubes were only used for a short while on the 603/604.  There is quite a bit of gas tube variation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Gas tubes used on the 601 and 602 were carbon steel and do attract magnets.  These tubes were only used for a short while on the 603/604.  There is quite a bit of gas tube variation.

So does that mean mine was more than likely used on a 603 or 604 and not a 601 or 602?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#13]

So does that mean mine was more than likely used on a 603 or 604 and not a 601 or 602?

Correct
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Correct

So is that Colt or Armalite made?

What year, exactly, did they stop producing the earlier bend gas tubes?
Link Posted: 11/21/2006 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Correct

So is that Colt or Armalite made?

What year, exactly, did they stop producing the earlier bend gas tubes?

Far as I know Colt did not get much in the way of a parts inventory from ArmaLite in that ArmaLite was not really set up to mass produce anything.

There are a few updates Colt made to the gas tube.  The change to stainless steel happened something in the 65-66 time frame.  The bend change happened by 1969.

Link Posted: 12/7/2006 11:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NavyCop72] [#16]
Greetings, great coverage on Colt's USGI history, just wondering why the Navy rifles weren't covered? I'm active duty Navy Securty Forces and have recently fired a Colt M-16A1 lower serial no in the 1,000,000 series and a Colt M-16A2E3 lower serial in the 8,000,000 series. They both were full auto, and had an A2 upper configuraton on it. The A1's lower was marked Colt AR-15 M-16A1. I've got pics for non-believers! help
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 9:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ekie] [#17]

Originally Posted By NavyCop72:
Greetings, great coverage on Colt's USGI history, just wondering why the Navy rifles weren't covered? I'm active duty Navy Securty Forces and have recently fired a Colt M-16A1 lower serial no in the 1,000,000 series and a Colt M-16A2E3 lower serial in the 8,000,000 series. They both were full auto, and had an A2 upper configuraton on it. The A1's lower was marked Colt AR-15 M-16A1. I've got pics for non-believers! Just wanted to help with the whole Serial Number Database thing.

Don't have any info on Navy stuff.  Please send pictures and I will include that info in the guide.:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Major update.  Added the info posted in the 601, handguard, and buttstock variation threads.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Any chance on pistol grip variation? I can provide pics of a 601 green painted one, 4 mottled ones (all different degrees of mottling), and an A2
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks a million EKIE for all of the hard work, and taking the time to share it!!!!!

Please keep up the great work!
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Minor update with new pictures and info.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]
There is also one other variation of A1/E1 rear sight dial.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By scottryan:
There is also one other variation of A1/E1 rear sight dial.

There are quite a few.  I need a camera with a better macro function for those little parts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to I added the transitional bolt stop.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 7:55:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#25]
Lots of great info in this thread!

As far as bolt/carrier broups, when did they swap to parked instead of chromed?
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 7:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarrierKey] [#26]
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/NATIONALMATCH/M16Armorer001.jpg

You forgot a few parts to show.  M-16 fire components - cool law enforcement armorer shot.  CARRIERKEY
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By engineer2001:
Lots of great info in this thread!

As far as bolt/carrier broups, when did they swap to parked instead of chromed?

Chrome was dropped in very early 64 on the SP1, later in the year on the 603, and went all the way into 1965 on the 604's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2007 9:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ekie] [#28]

Originally Posted By CarrierKey:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/NATIONALMATCH/M16Armorer001.jpg

You forgot a few parts to show.  M-16 fire components - cool law enforcement armorer shot.  CARRIERKEY

Did not forget, just don't have the time to put it all up, besides, since this forum has been in place I only remember one question in regards to lower parts.

So, here is a sneak peek, top disconnector as used in the 601/602 and the 603/604 until about 1966, bottom as used on the 603/604 from about 1966-1982:

BTW, the pictured trigger group set is SAFE/SEMI/AUTO, and the S forge code was  used in the 1990's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a barrel attached to a M16A1 upper assembly that I picked up this past weekend. It has the MP marking and a 12 near the muzzle. I dont see a "c" or any mention of chrome on it. (Haven't removed the handguards yet) Would this be a 1969 or early 1967 barrel? It also came with the full birdcage flash suppressor with a lock washer.

Brachus
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Brachus12:
I have a barrel attached to a M16A1 upper assembly that I picked up this past weekend. It has the MP marking and a 12 near the muzzle. I dont see a "c" or any mention of chrome on it. (Haven't removed the handguards yet) Would this be a 1969 or early 1967 barrel? It also came with the full birdcage flash suppressor with a lock washer.

Brachus

66-67
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#31]
OOOH, I'm sick...

I recently sold an M16 upper with one of the Winchester barrels...
Link Posted: 7/8/2007 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By JackBurton:
OOOH, I'm sick...

I recently sold an M16 upper with one of the Winchester barrels...

Link Posted: 8/29/2007 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Unless you got an original....building a 601 or 602 seems like an impossibility with all the variations thru history....wow! I got an NDS 601 lower for my slick side upper....thinking I got a handle on it till I read all this. I didn't have a clue. The variations are staggering. I'll have something that looks way cool but far from original. I guess unless you look at it THIS close or you're an expert, it would be hard to tell the difference from a real 601 and what I'm putting together.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I found a disconnector with CMP on it, is Colt the only one that marks their disconnectors?
By your description of the disconnectors this one would be in the 1966-1982 ?
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Lusciousclay:
I found a disconnector with CMP on it, is Colt the only one that marks their disconnectors?
By your description of the disconnectors this one would be in the 1966-1982 ?
i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii228/lusciousclay/DCP_1706.jpg

I have not seen one of those before, but I have not started on fire control parts yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 2:08:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedoctors308] [#36]
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
I recently decided to get serious about my Model 603/M16A1 build.
The only parts on it that are not A1 are the lower and the lower parts kit, minus the grip of course.
I know an NDS-16A1 is the correct lower, but I am giving myself a headache trying to figure out which A1 lower parts to acquire.
My upper's barrel is marked "C MP Chome Bore" which means I'm going for a "late" 603.
Which parts from an A2 LPK would not be correct for an A1 of this type?
I'm pretty sure all I need is a non-notched selector, correct?
Also, which sling would be correct?

The only issue you are going to run into is the selector you mentioned, and the color of the parts.  Use a "silent sling", the black one with two buckles.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Back on page 1 you show 3 different forward assist buttons. You show the "teardrop" style that was first used on the XM16E1 in 1964 and latter on the M16A1; you show the large, round style that is flat on the side next to the receiver that was used on the M16A2 as late as serial number 6,280,000; and you show the newer small, round forward assist that went into production in the late 1980's and is still being made for use on the M16A4. I would like to know if there was a 4th variation of the button. I recently got several parts in a buy at a gun show and the forward assist button is like none of the three you pictured. It is a large, round style like the second one mentioned above, but it does not have a flat side on it. Any idea what the story is behind this one?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ekie] [#39]

Originally Posted By CAR-AR-M16:
I would like to know if there was a 4th variation of the button. I recently got several parts in a buy at a gun show and the forward assist button is like none of the three you pictured. It is a large, round style like the second one mentioned above, but it does not have a flat side on it. Any idea what the story is behind this one?

It is a USGI replacement part, not something Colt used on rifles.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By CAR-AR-M16:
I would like to know if there was a 4th variation of the button. I recently got several parts in a buy at a gun show and the forward assist button is like none of the three you pictured. It is a large, round style like the second one mentioned above, but it does not have a flat side on it. Any idea what the story is behind this one?

It is a USGI replacement part, not something Colt used on rifles.

Thank you very much for the info.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Very interesting !!!! thx

I just got myself one of these lower !

1,000,000-1,999,999
1968-1969
US Property marked Colt's M16A1

the 1 993 XXX to be precise (hidden last 3 number on purpose)

Any idea how it ended in Switzerland ? (no alteration on the lower, it's a legal owned full auto M16A1 lower
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Shung:
Very interesting !!!! thx

I just got myself one of these lower !

1,000,000-1,999,999
1968-1969
US Property marked Colt's M16A1

the 1 993 XXX to be precise (hidden last 3 number on purpose)

Any idea how it ended in Switzerland ? (no alteration on the lower, it's a legal owned full auto M16A1 lower

It was probably left behind in Vietnam.  Allot of those rifles have shown up on the international market.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks, I already have a publisher, just no time to work on the book, have not touched it in over 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I received a Colt MT6731 last week...a G is stamped by the chamber....any idea on its meaning?
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Ekie,
I own the following M16a1 Colt AR-15. They were purchased from John Stemple on Sept.
1986. These guns were demilled  and John remanufactured them. I just had Ross Roggio  
refinish them. They are marked as follows;  Property of U.S.Govt. , M16A1, CAL. 5.56 MM.
They are selective fire.
Serial Numbers; 958054, 964724,  988841, 989898,
                         964815 was sold to my cousin in Ohio I do not know who owns it today.

Your serial number listing shows that there is no known examples in this range..

usasniper1
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured this was the best place. On the M-16A4, do they have the standard feed ramps, or has Colt updated them to the M-4ish style being extended into the upper reciever?
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dings] [#48]
I love the info here..
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#49]
in the serial guide is written that the range 920.000 to 999.999 shows no existing guns. I have two Vietnam war lowers in this serial range..943.000 and 983.000 marked Serial and number and showing full fence 603 style. can send you pic is you send me email
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#50]
its maybe one of mine I discovered in Vn in 91 and sold in Germany
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top