Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2017 12:28:33 PM EDT
So, I've been thinking about jumping in to an AR9 pistol.  I just don't know which length to go with and a good place to go for parts.

What I'm looking for is something short, no more than 8" barrel, that I will eventually put a suppressor on.  I'd like it to run Glock mags, and I believe that means I need to have a specific BCG and lower that will accommodate his, right?

Is there anything I should know getting in to this?  Are they unreliable?  Do they require a bunch of tweaking to run reliably?

Sorry, I'm completely new to the idea of an AR9!  

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Check here first Rimfire-and-Pistol-Calibers section

There are plenty of threads about the LRBHO on Glock lowers being finicky (or not working), that's about the only complaint I've been seeing.. A lot of people use the NFA/Sparta or PSA dedicated lowers (pretty sure NFA makes the PSA lowers also).

You will need either a Glock style bolt or one of the hybrid bolts designed to work with either Colt or Glock magazines.

The most popular barrel lengths seem to be 5", 8.5" and 10.5". You can find other lengths also.

Other than that I can't help much since I went with a Colt style dedicated lower.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with all PSA parts on my Glock AR9 and have been very happy.

Mine doesn't have the last round bolt stop.
Very few Glock builds work reliably with that.

If you really want the bolt to lock open on the last round, the Colt mag lowers seem to be a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the mower receivers that Quarter Circle 10 offers
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I can email or text you a pic of mine I just finished yesterday.

Unfired though, kids started school and work 3rd.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check here first Rimfire-and-Pistol-Calibers section

There are plenty of threads about the LRBHO on Glock lowers being finicky (or not working), that's about the only complaint I've been seeing.. A lot of people use the NFA/Sparta or PSA dedicated lowers (pretty sure NFA makes the PSA lowers also).

You will need either a Glock style bolt or one of the hybrid bolts designed to work with either Colt or Glock magazines.

The most popular barrel lengths seem to be 5", 8.5" and 10.5". You can find other lengths also.

Other than that I can't help much since I went with a Colt style dedicated lower.
View Quote
Thank you!  I'll take a look at that.  Hmm, a 5" with a suppressor sounds fun!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to sound too stupid, but I take it if I want to use Glock mags I have to use a Glock lower...but if I use a Glock lower I don't get the last round bolt hold open.

I obviously need to read up more.

I'd like it to function like my AR15's (i.e., bolt holds open on last round, etc.) so there is consistency.  So that pretty much means Colt mag lower?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to sound too stupid, but I take it if I want to use Glock mags I have to use a Glock lower...but if I use a Glock lower I don't get the last round bolt hold open.

I obviously need to read up more.

I'd like it to function like my AR15's (i.e., bolt holds open on last round, etc.) so there is consistency.  So that pretty much means Colt mag lower?
View Quote
Colt style would be your best bet then. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a QC10 glock lower and it has LRBHO built in.

Also this upper https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_9MM_45ACP_Billet_AR15_Upper_Receiver_w_LR_p/jb-9-lrbho.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
So you have the upper and the lower both with lrhbo?  Why both?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So you have the upper and the lower both with lrhbo?  Why both?
View Quote
I didn't know the lower had it built in.
I ordered at almost the same time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a QC10 glock lower and it has LRBHO built in.

Also this upper https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_9MM_45ACP_Billet_AR15_Upper_Receiver_w_LR_p/jb-9-lrbho.htm
View Quote
So is the issue with potential reliability issues then?  Is that the only reason to go with the Colt style over the Glock with LRBHO?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually have both.

DDLES Colt style lower sbr and I just finished building a QC10 Glock lower with a Maxim pdw brace.
Waiting on my barrel to finish a QC10 45 glock pdw.

With the sbr I use Cproducts 32rnd mags with no issue.
Haven't taken the 9mm pdw out yet but it all functions fine dry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So is the issue with potential reliability issues then?  Is that the only reason to go with the Colt style over the Glock with LRBHO?
View Quote
I have a forged Palmetto State Glock lower with built in LRBHO.  It has a bar along top side of receiver connected to bolt stop paddle and the mag well.  It has performed 100% of the time.  I'm running a basic Anderson sport slickside upper.  NFA modular bolt, and a Blitzkrieg Hydraulic buffer.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top