Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2017 3:49:01 PM EDT
I don't want to hijack another thread...and yes, I tried using the Search button...but maybe not hard enough though

On an AR-15 pistol build, what is the shortest buffer tube that could be used on a 12" to 12.5" Grendel, while still keeping the total length under 26"?

Will a shorter buffer still allow the action to function properly with a 12.5" Grendel barrel?

Will a KAK blade fit on a shorter buffer tube?

What is the longest barrel/shortest buffer tube combo, that can be legally used on the AR-15 platform, while keeping the total length from end of buffer to end of threaded portion of barrel below 26"?

Basically shortening the buffer tube, and lengthening the barrel, but keeping it below 26"
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for relevance
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to keep it under 26" OAL? Some kind of state law? Most people are trying to achieve over 26" OAL so they can use a VFG.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to keep it under 26" OAL? Some kind of state law? Most people are trying to achieve over 26" OAL so they can use a VFG.
View Quote
Yes, In Minnesota, everything I've read and heard, states that an AR pistol needs to stay below 26".  (End of buffer tube, to end of threaded non-pinned barrel)
That could be BS, but I'm going with it...
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, In Minnesota, everything I've read and heard, states that an AR pistol needs to stay below 26".  (End of buffer tube, to end of threaded non-pinned barrel)
That could be BS, but I'm going with it...
View Quote
No just the law is written screwy and have been checked numerous times by the DNR hunting with my pistols all of them are over 26". Under law the barrel must be shorter than 16" or the OAL must be less than 26" not both. But if your pistol has a 16" barrel it is a rifle under MN law and illegal to hunt with outside of rifle zone.

So build as long as you want just make sure the barrel length is less than 16"

And you can't put a VFG on it even if over 26" as two grips makes it a rifle according to MN law

Those are all ORs in the law so. Must be fired by one hand and less that 26" or barrel less than 16" in the case of a rifle
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Just did a little reading, that is an annoying little state law.

You might look into these:

https://mvbindustries.com/product/mpk-micro-pistol-kit/

http://deadfootarms.com/products/dfa-modified-cycle-system-rifle-caliber-ar-pistol-kit/

I assume the Deadfoot buffer works without any folding stock/brace attached, but it would really be a front heavy and rather unwieldy weapon.

Otherwise, although I'm sure you've considered it, your most cost effective and usable option is probably going to be dropping to a 10.5" barrel.

ETA: Seems like he is right, it's just written oddly.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.712

Subd. 2.Pistol. "Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still reading it in the Statute that krdt posted as...keep the AR pistol less than 26" long, but with a barrel length below 16" (15.9"). Such as a Thompson Contender with a 15" barrel, with an overall length less than 26"...

I always thought that's why Thompson made clear labeling on their advertised barrels that were shorter than 16", and made sure they had a big PISTOL label on them. All of Thompson's barrels labeled PISTOL have a max length in the area of 14-15"

But the wording that worries me is..."Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand

So no cheek weld with the KAK blade, with one hand on the pistol grip and the other hand on the hand guard?

So only a one hand firing grip is allowed in MN?

Thanks for posting the links krdt!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm still reading it in the Statute that krdt posted as...keep the AR pistol less than 26" long, but with a barrel length below 16" (15.9"). Such as a Thompson Contender with a 15" barrel, with an overall length less than 26"...

I always thought that's why Thompson made clear labeling on their advertised barrels that were shorter than 16", and made sure they had a big PISTOL label on them. All of Thompson's barrels labeled PISTOL have a max length in the area of 14-15"

But the wording that worries me is..."Pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired by the use of a single hand

So no cheek weld with the KAK blade, with one hand on the pistol grip and the other hand on the hand guard?

So only a one hand firing grip is allowed in MN?

Thanks for posting the links krdt!
View Quote
The federal law has the same definition of a pistol, i.e. "designed to be fired by one hand". It doesn't mean you necessarily have to fire it one handed, just that was the intended "design". So, I wouldn't worry about that one. Otherwise, pretty much every law enforcement agency in America is breaking federal law by firing their handguns with two hands, lol.

On the overall length issue, the law to me reads that a pistol is either: a firearm that has an OAL of less than 26", OR, a firearm with less than a 16" barrel (in the case of a rifle). Notice the wording is "or", not "and". Meaning it can either be less than 26" OAL with any length barrel (>16"), or any OAL with a barrel less than 16". If it said less than 26" OAL and a barrel less than 16", that would be a different story.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The federal law has the same definition of a pistol, i.e. "designed to be fired by one hand". It doesn't mean you necessarily have to fire it one handed, just that was the intended "design". So, I wouldn't worry about that one. Otherwise, pretty much every law enforcement agency in America is breaking federal law by firing their handguns with two hands, lol.

On the overall length issue, the law to me reads that a pistol is either: a firearm that has an OAL of less than 26", OR, a firearm with less than a 16" barrel (in the case of a rifle). Notice the wording is "or", not "and". Meaning it can either be less than 26" OAL with any length barrel (>16"), or any OAL with a barrel less than 16". If it said less than 26" OAL and a barrel less than 16", that would be a different story.
View Quote
Correct the law reads OR Not AND. So it either needs to be less that 26" OAL OR have a barrel less than 16". When I talked to an 07 manufacture in MN that also builds pistols this is how their lawyer interpreted the law as well.

The law is just written screwy. Every DNR officer that has taken measurements of my pistol has come to the same conclusion the law read OR Not And.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top